The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Not Another Rebuild Thread.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=487100)

McMurphy 10-26-2012 09:27 PM

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ's Sierra Grande (Post 5669040)
Any motorcycle shop will have it. Pretty sure its available on eBay too. It's actually called "cable lube"
Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, awesome. Thanks for the advice !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulter (Post 5669062)
i wanna see that dash once its all painted and assembled!!

ME TOO !!!!

:lol:

I have the ash tray ready to be reassembled, and realized I had best do some prep work with the dash extension before I weld it up in place. I realized it is going to be a ton easier to do the stereo install prep work with it out of the truck, than in it....
That was almost a :dohh: moment !!

coulter 10-26-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5669687)
That was almost a :dohh: moment !!

lol i do that all the time :metal::metal::metal:

Bomp 10-26-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulter (Post 5669717)

Thought that was manditory.:thud:

McMurphy 10-26-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulter (Post 5669717)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5670416)
Thought that was manditory.:thud:

You guys crack me up !!

McMurphy 10-29-2012 12:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Not a lot "done" that is photo worthy.

funny how a seemingly little thing can take up so much time...
Project: hang coat hooks inside cab
Time taken: majority of an 8 hour day.

This is what I started off with before I tackled the inside of the cab, granted it took a little time to make that metal template, but I was far better taking that time and effort than taking a chance of messing up the inside of the cab (and then having to fix the mess up).
These came out of a 69 Eldorado, and there is a roof bow they screw into which my truck does not have, so I made that backing plate. With an anchor screw at the top, (which the coat hook plastic trim covers) it was surprisingly easy to get this unit fished up in there. Some left over welding wire worked perfectly.
Attachment 1005345

About 7 hours later...
Attachment 1005346

And of course I took it out, leaving the backing plate until after I paint the interior.
Then yesterday most of my day was spent in working on my cyclops eye brake light. Since it will share an access hole with my dome light, I figured it was prudent to get it made too.
Attachment 1005347

The dome light assembly (I started a new one from scratch again, making this attempt #3) is about done too. Just needs some paint stripped, sanding, and some fill in some of the weld spots. Photos of that are coming.

So like I said, not much that is DONE... but getting there.

KroAutomotiveInc 10-29-2012 03:34 PM

hey man foung this pic today

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...0731121725.jpg

losthope 11-02-2012 01:18 AM

Hey McMurphy! I havent really been on the forum that much besides updating my build thread every once in awhile , and havent really read anyones builds in a long time! Like many others you have a giant butt load of pages to read till I catch up ( I have to admit im only a few in on yours still) but I admire what you have done so far and in the freezing cold :lol: Keep it up! and ill get to the end one day! Also you should be receiving package in the snail mail sooner or later i sent it off a couple days ago! Cheers!

I play world of war craft every so often also LOL!

Iron-Butt 11-03-2012 02:32 AM

cool build

McMurphy 11-05-2012 12:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc (Post 5674684)

Thanks Kro, I will probably pick some of those up this week!

Quote:

Originally Posted by losthope (Post 5680844)
Hey McMurphy! I havent really been on the forum that much besides updating my build thread every once in awhile , and havent really read anyones builds in a long time! Like many others you have a giant butt load of pages to read till I catch up ( I have to admit im only a few in on yours still) but I admire what you have done so far and in the freezing cold :lol: Keep it up! and ill get to the end one day! Also you should be receiving package in the snail mail sooner or later i sent it off a couple days ago! Cheers!

I play world of war craft every so often also LOL!

Timmy, I got your package in the mail, thank you very much for thinking of me!!
I had to let my WoW accounts go, the game seriously dead ended at level 85 without a clique of friends to play with, plus the truck taking most my free time. I still have my Everquest tho, and I try to log in at least once a month, go figure....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron-Butt (Post 5682784)
cool build

Thank you, all compliments and critiques are appreciated !!

This weekend had a large bite of time taken out of it due to some last minute Army stuff Saturday. After that it was just working on my cyclops eye, and my dome light mods....
Even though I got this mounted up, I am not 100% on it. I may keep trying to make it work, or scrap it and start over.
This is it mounted.
Attachment 1008202

I picked up a 6volt cube battery for testing wiring, this is the brake light lit up with that, so it isnt very bright (kind of like me....Hmmmm)
Attachment 1008203

This is all 3 bulbs lit up.
The plan is to get amber bulbs for the left and right, and wire the left and right as turn signals.
Attachment 1008204

Other than that I made some pretty awesome progress on the dome light mod, I will be sure to take some photos of that tonight of how I did that.

piratexpress1369a 11-06-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5686741)
Thanks Kro, I will probably pick some of those up this week!

Timmy, I got your package in the mail, thank you very much for thinking of me!!
I had to let my WoW accounts go, the game seriously dead ended at level 85 without a clique of friends to play with, plus the truck taking most my free time. I still have my Everquest tho, and I try to log in at least once a month, go figure....

Thank you, all compliments and critiques are appreciated !!

This weekend had a large bite of time taken out of it due to some last minute Army stuff Saturday. After that it was just working on my cyclops eye, and my dome light mods....
Even though I got this mounted up, I am not 100% on it. I may keep trying to make it work, or scrap it and start over.
This is it mounted.
Attachment 1008202

I picked up a 6volt cube battery for testing wiring, this is the brake light lit up with that, so it isnt very bright (kind of like me....Hmmmm)
Attachment 1008203

This is all 3 bulbs lit up.
The plan is to get amber bulbs for the left and right, and wire the left and right as turn signals.
Attachment 1008204

Other than that I made some pretty awesome progress on the dome light mod, I will be sure to take some photos of that tonight of how I did that.

you could change the bulbs out to LED might make it brighter...use all white LED

flips72 11-06-2012 01:19 PM

i really like the light, do you have any pics from left to right to see the angle it mounted on?keep up the good work.

McMurphy 11-06-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 5688496)
you could change the bulbs out to LED might make it brighter...use all white LED

Thanks for the idea, I will take a look at that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5688616)
i really like the light, do you have any pics from left to right to see the angle it mounted on?keep up the good work.

I didnt take any side shots, I was running late to get cleaned up for dinner, and I didnt get down there last night either, but I will.

McMurphy 11-13-2012 01:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Sorry Flips I decided my first cyclops light mount was not what I wanted, so I have redone it.
I also decided to make more progress on my cab starting with the ceiling down. I was doing fine and had the ceiling looking perfect when I shot some new paint and I got the horrendous lifting, cracking, and peeling. I about lost my mind.
After a full day of trying to fix the afflicted areas and wasting more and more paint, I just bit the bullet and stripped the entire ceiling and started back at scratch.

The CB antenna hole is not as perfect as it was when the paint decided to screw with me, but if you dont know it is there, you wont see it.... and that is good enough at this point.

So this weekend I re-fabbed my cyclops mount, got the ceiling repainted, and started on the side panels for console section of the dash extension. But before I could get too far into that, I knew I had to make an extension for the heater. So that is what got "done" today !!

After I cut it out of the donor sheet metal, I marked it with all the measurements someone would need to recreate it. In retrospect though the far right tab marked "optional" I would move to the bottom 2 3/4" panel and used it to screw into the heater control box. You will see what I mean later.
Attachment 1011691

This is it all assembled; this will be the cabin side of the tube.
Attachment 1011692

This is the firewall side.
Attachment 1011693

This is the driver side end. I am hoping the little flap will help blow the warm air down so I wont get captured up under the dash too much. I am also hoping that the length will keep it from roasting my gas pedal foot !!
Attachment 1011694

McMurphy 11-13-2012 01:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here I am just holding it up....
The reason I would have put the optional tab on the top is the back side mounting screw is impossible to get to without taking the whole box out. I like things simple, and that does not qualify !!
Attachment 1011696

Here it is mounted up.
Attachment 1011697

Now it is drying from fresh paint... in the next few days I will put it up in for good.
Without this extension for the heater, the driver side would not get any heat or my console would get filled with heat and probably cook the radio I am going to mount up in there.

markeb01 11-13-2012 01:51 AM

Great idea, that's going to make a huge difference.

McMurphy 11-13-2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5699822)
Great idea, that's going to make a huge difference.

Thanks Mark, eventually all these little things are going to come together....
I hope.

:mm:

KroAutomotiveInc 11-13-2012 09:50 AM

sorry to hear about your ceiling man those things got problems i wanted to cry when mine started cracking and peeling! and i love the heater tube i thought about something like this but never got around to it how the heater is normally seems to work pretty good but i bet that makes a huge diff!

piratexpress1369a 11-13-2012 08:24 PM

that is cool ..i always hated cold left foot

Ta2Don 11-13-2012 08:29 PM

Makes me think of the quote, "Necessity is the mother of invention!" Great Job Man!!!

McMurphy 11-13-2012 11:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc (Post 5700055)
sorry to hear about your ceiling man those things got problems i wanted to cry when mine started cracking and peeling! and i love the heater tube i thought about something like this but never got around to it how the heater is normally seems to work pretty good but i bet that makes a huge diff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 5701017)
that is cool ..i always hated cold left foot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5701028)
Makes me think of the quote, "Necessity is the mother of invention!" Great Job Man!!!

Thanks guys, I am loading some photos of my dash extension just so you get a practical idea of why I made the heater tube. This photo is a straight on shot. Here will be mounted my stereo, and odd and ends like the cigarette lighter, fog light switch, ejection seat button, flame thrower, oil slick, and grenade launcher and other stuff.....
Attachment 1012181

These next two show the sides of the console, which will have removable panels and will house/mount 2 of my stereo speakers.
Attachment 1012182

Attachment 1012183

PS.... I was just kidding about the grenade launcher.
Those freekin rounds are expensive !!

KroAutomotiveInc 11-14-2012 12:01 AM

ejaculatiton seat now thats what im talkin about!!! Oo... wait ejection seat... just kidding man that looks sweet dude i love it your giving me ideas man!

Bomp 11-14-2012 01:26 AM

"Here will be mounted my stereo, and odd and ends like the cigarette lighter, fog light switch, ejection seat button, flame thrower, oil slick, and grenade launcher and other stuff....."

Brings back memories of the show "CHiPS" with Ponch & John the motorcycle cops. In one episode they had to chase down a movie car with all those things. During a chase the car made an oil slick. The machine guns were fake though. Bet all your stuff will be real and kick a$$.
Im going for a cloaking device myself.:haha:

I like your heater extension along with the vent cables. The e-brake change over from the knee smacker is my favorite so far. Great idea.:metal:

1963c-10 11-14-2012 04:29 PM

Some very cool and inventive ideas....i like it.

1963c-10 11-14-2012 04:30 PM

oh...glad you got your cab vents in...Looks great

Modges'66 11-15-2012 01:23 PM

Some nice tin-bending!
....Still watchin daily.