The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part III (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=644788)

rudyyloverboiii 03-08-2015 03:25 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7081154)
thks, i bought the 292 for $100. had it totally redone new head,piston over bore, the works. all before i got the suburban, it was stuck in canada dealing with customs crap. all i knew was it had a pontiac 283, that wasnt original. so i research'd and 292 kept coming up as the engine to have so thats what i went with, now since my build is here and an NOS beast i would have saw the mounts and got a 250, also in canada gm has a place you can get info on older vehicles so i got that info and sure enough my burban came with a 250, oh well... do you have a build thread?

Not yet sir. Ive done a lot to mine though. I have pictures. I started putting pictures up on a different blog to remember maybe i'll post them here as soon as i figure out how tp put em up wit ma phone.

TJ's Chevy 03-08-2015 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on my new 64 a bit. New tires(not shown in pic) and had a set of plug wires layin around that I put on, also found out that wires 4 and 6 were crossed so fixed that and the thing runs like new. Also found some blow by through the oil fill hole. Not a blown head gasket to my knowledge( no bubbling water) so looks like I might have a bad valve guide. Compression test in the making. Ah well, runs super good though. :gmc2:

Palf70Step 03-08-2015 08:12 PM

Like the 4-eyed look TJ!

pimpston65 03-08-2015 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
20 BAGs of nuts,bolts and washer. that what it takes to attach everything to my 292. im sure there are some stray bits. now off to have black phosphate coated!!!

pimpston65 03-08-2015 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
cant wait to get this butte dirty, grand canyon or bust roadtrip!!!

Turtleman 03-08-2015 11:20 PM

Coming to Arizona Pimpston65?

TJ's Chevy 03-08-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 7081598)
Like the 4-eyed look TJ!

Thanks man! lol I got a 3 stooges crew now! :gmc2: :chevy:

Grizz1963 03-14-2015 05:24 PM

Not much........

Just a quickly tonight.

After lunch time, Martin came over to change the drivers door glass in the MX5 for me, took him a total of 18 minutes to remove the donor glass and fit it, and close up the cars door. WTF?? Talent or what.

Then I had planned to remove the towbar and paint it all, despite knowing it was far from right as it was mal-aligned and to pack it away before starting the blasting as I have done nothing with it the last couple of weeks.

Martin again forced me via my own vanity and realisation that geometry was not my friend to take the whole lot apart and redesign it all.

Then to cut, grind, fit and tack it all together.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps8txqivlm.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pswpw4ijyj.jpg

Tacked the corners, then disassembled and started to weld it all up.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psooocrnab.jpg

At this point the welded decided to go to sleep, so I shut shop and came indoors.

Tomorrow we continue.

Looking forward to wrapping up this bloody towbar and getting on with other stuff.

Lugnutz65 03-14-2015 08:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finished stripping the DS inner door shell. Still need to weld the new bottom into place after a do a little media blasting. This was hard work. Polycarbide disc on a grinder for the flat surfaces and a drill with a wire wheel for the tight areas. Now it shines like a piece of tin foil.
I also installed a Jeep Cherokee door check on my PS door. Now the door opens with 2 detents. It's a nice easy bolt on upgrade. :metal:

Joemomma1 03-14-2015 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7090515)
I finished stripping the DS inner door shell. Still need to weld the new bottom into place after a do a little media blasting. This was hard work. Polycarbide disc on a grinder for the flat surfaces and a drill with a wire wheel for the tight areas. Now it shines like a piece of tin foil.
I also installed a Jeep Cherokee door check on my PS door. Now the door opens with 2 detents. It's a nice easy bolt on upgrade. :metal:

I got the same door checks that i pulled from the jeeps but I've seen a different version with rubber mentioned on other posts. Do you know anything about those things?

revjames 03-14-2015 10:35 PM

What year jeep
Cherokee

pimpston65 03-15-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtleman (Post 7081943)
Coming to Arizona Pimpston65?

yup this summer

mattbert56 03-15-2015 01:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hung out with my buddy who I have been trying to get on this forum site. He's got the 51. And helped him pull the 55 out of the field with my little toyota so we can start Swapping on the painted body parts. Also got a full size spare and matching rim for 20 bucks. Picked up new front lift springs for the truck and a set of Y Pipes for the truck. For 10. Super stoked about Those.

canadian_diesel1964 03-15-2015 07:34 AM

New Interstate battery, 1 wire Alternator, Belt and Battery ground...she startts real good now

Lugnutz65 03-15-2015 08:04 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjames (Post 7090749)
What year jeep Cherokee

This link about the Cherokee door check says 1984-2001, but only Cherokee, not Grand Cherokee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joemomma1 (Post 7090739)
I got the same door checks that i pulled from the jeeps but I've seen a different version with rubber mentioned on other posts. Do you know anything about those things?

The link mentioned shows the version with the rubber stop, like you have. I bought a pair of those too but decided to go with the set without the rubber stop. If the rubber stop part gets rotten, then it can fall off and that will allow the door to open TOO FAR, which is the same problem the factory door check has. When the door opens too far, then you get a dent in your door from the rear edge of the front fender.

The version I chose to use is all metal, so no rubber stop to dry up and crumble. However, it could still fail from metal fatigue. If I only had the rubber stop kind, I'd still use them if the rubber was in good shape.

Here are some links about the Cherokee door checks.

FAQ Link

Van Pershing Main Idea Page Link

Grizz1963 03-15-2015 03:32 PM

Today the weather turned wet and cold again, so I finished the final welding on the towbar, tried it out for fit and then removed the lot, including mounting plates, took the flap wheel to the lot and cleared the rust and tidied the welds.

Then the parts that will be sliding inside the receiver got a coat of rattle can black, just to cover the metal as well as the ball bolt heads.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psrhtnzsm3.jpg

I decided to hold off on the Hammerite till the weather is more conducive to drying.

Last year I bought a new triple chromed front bumper for my truck, problem was, it was a damaged item that I was prepared to take a gamble on to try to repair.

When Offering it up to the truck, it came up that the passenger side tip was bent in by 40mm meaning it could not even be fitted.

I am also painting the rear of both new bumpers as they often rust there despite the chrome, obviously because most of us do not wash, dry or polish the rears of our bumpers.

So at lunch time I contacted mate Darren who is a local rodder with a machine shop to see if I could come down to his place 30 miles from where we live, to use his 8 ton hydraulic press to try tease out the crease in the bumper, he agreed, as long as I was done before 13.30 as he still had Mother's Day to deal with.

My old and new bumper in front of the press.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pscon2f35b.jpg

When trying to determine where the energy had entered the bumpers tip when it fell from the top of a shipping container and thus how to press it to return it to shape, I realised that hooking it into Darren's forklift truck, and persuading it with a large lump hammer while putting pressure on it in the opposite direction would work.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps3eddnczt.jpg

So within 10 minutes we had the bumper straightened out and that without any damage to the chrome.

So the gamble pair off, for once.

While I was there, Darren was also busy preparing some of his cars for Easter weekends Chatham Festival of Steam show.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pssfqmym65.jpg

Thanks again to Darren for the help and offer of machinery.

Grizz1963 03-15-2015 05:19 PM

Thought I would post this up on here as well.

Feeling good, as the bumper came out good, and now I got more of what I wanted/needed.

Just spent £63.00 on a bid in the last 10 seconds on Evilbay and won a pair of used vent windows.

The passenger window on my truck is very rotten, and judging by the photos on the ad, these should be an improvement, as these parts are not re manufactured or readily available out there.
Also never seen them for sale here, and plan B which would involve Don in Arkansas and trawling multiple breakers yards till he found a pair for sale, then adding in postage, taxes and the risk of them arriving intact, meant that I needed to hit the bid button quite high.

Hopefully Disasterbus will be able to pick them up for me some time this week.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psqauawush.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps2hfbdhmk.jpg

So there you go, now my weekend is over.

XLCOR_65 03-15-2015 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took the sand bags out of the bed, cleaned her up, and took her for a nice long Sunday drive! Such a gorgeous day out in the Ozarks! :)

mattbert56 03-15-2015 09:48 PM

Sanded my apache 10 hood down to Its original color. Then to 320 g and waxed it. Also got the cab and bed bolted down to the new frame and aligned the trim. Nice and straight Now. :metal:

mattbert56 03-15-2015 11:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Forgot pics. Oops.

jb9281 03-16-2015 07:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a current picture of my truck and the custom autosound radio I installed. A friend of mine made a faceplate for me out of oak. My dash had been butchered up. I think it looks really good now.

Lugnutz65 03-16-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb9281 (Post 7093107)
Here is a current picture of my truck and the custom autosound radio I installed. A friend of mine made a faceplate for me out of oak. My dash had been butchered up. I think it looks really good now.

It does look good. In fact, it looks great. You've done a nice job.

jbgroby 03-17-2015 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the front and rear glass installed tonight! Getting a little closer every month

jbgroby 03-17-2015 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Front glass

mattbert56 03-17-2015 11:08 PM

Looking good