The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

joedoh 04-18-2019 09:41 AM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

wow looks outstanding!

youngrodder 04-18-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8509251)
Marc, frame really looks good, ready for more updates this summer...Jim

You and me both. There will be updates..

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper71 (Post 8509337)
Awesome, Glad to see you back!

mark

Thanks Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8509386)
wow looks outstanding!

Thanks man. I pick up the paint tomorrow for the control and trailing arms and watts link. I think it will look good with some contrasting color.

youngrodder 05-03-2019 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up the last few piece from the painter. I'm pleased with how the accent color contrasts with the frame color and other components. I have been busy assembling and painting parts fort this frame. These are a few teaser pics for now. I will show a lot more in detail once I get it further along. Its so nice to assemble clean painted parts.

Marc

Scott2 05-03-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8518776)
I picked up the last few piece from the painter. I'm pleased with how the accent color contrasts with the frame color and other components. I have been busy assembling and painting parts fort this frame. These are a few teaser pics for now. I will show a lot more in detail once I get it further along. Its so nice to assemble clean painted parts.

Marc

That looks really great!

oldman3 05-03-2019 11:33 PM

Marc, teaser is right, can't wait to see more...Jim

mongocanfly 05-04-2019 12:01 AM

Color looks great Marc....

joedoh 05-05-2019 12:50 AM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/Gregarious...ky-max-1mb.gif

all these gorgeous trucks!

youngrodder 05-06-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 8519046)
That looks really great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8519092)
Marc, teaser is right, can't wait to see more...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8519111)
Color looks great Marc....

Thanks Guys, I have been making some good progress as of late. I will have some picture soon of the fully assembled chassis...

Marc

youngrodder 05-20-2019 10:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I have been spending quite a bit of time clean and painting parts so that I can further assembling my frame. I'm gaining.....I mounted the under floor brake booster and a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve that I recently purchased. I might move it to the other side of the booster but I need to check clearances first. The one pic shows the trick brake line brackets that mount to me Porterbuilt upper control arms. I plan on going to a car show on Saturday at Lane Automotive and I intend to kill two birds with one stone to pick up the rest of the brake line and other fitting that I need. Its cool finally seeing some parts come off the shelf and onto the chassis...

Marc

reaper71 05-20-2019 12:25 PM

Looking really good Marc!

Mark.

Scott2 05-20-2019 01:04 PM

Looks great! It has to feel good to make this much progress!

99 to Life 05-20-2019 09:48 PM

Love it.

oldman3 05-20-2019 11:14 PM

Sweeeeeet...Jim

mongocanfly 05-20-2019 11:31 PM

Sure is some nice looking parts you got Marc!...

Advanced Design 05-21-2019 03:59 PM

That is looking really good Marc!

youngrodder 05-21-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 8528729)
Looks great! It has to feel good to make this much progress!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8528985)
Love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8529053)
Sweeeeeet...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8529066)
Sure is some nice looking parts you got Marc!...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8529385)
That is looking really good Marc!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Marc

RockinKees 05-22-2019 03:57 AM

Wow, that is nice!!
Big step forward!

youngrodder 06-09-2019 09:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sooo a few weeks ago while attending a car show at Lane Automotive (like summit on a smaller scale) I picked up just about everything I needed to complete my brake and fuel systems. It has been over 10 years since I bent/flared brake line. I didn't make it easy on myself going with ss brake line. I had to disassemble the center section in order to create a clearance to fit the brake line with the flared end through the bracket.

youngrodder 06-09-2019 09:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another thing I did was create a small bracket on the rearend to mount a brass 3-way T. I already bent and flared the small lines for the rearend. As soon as I check the backlash on the rear end I will paint and install the rearend.

oldman3 06-09-2019 11:21 PM

Marc, good to see your getting more done...Jim

Dan Bowles 06-11-2019 05:00 PM

How is Lane to deal with? I have driven by a few times but never stopped. I may end up in GR next week for work so might be worth a visit.

youngrodder 06-12-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Bowles (Post 8540789)
How is Lane to deal with? I have driven by a few times but never stopped. I may end up in GR next week for work so might be worth a visit.

Their great. I deal with Mike. His sales counter is in the back right and corner of the showroom. Its about 40 minutes one way from my house but I get a decent discount from there as I'm tied to my friends business account. They have a local Hotrod shop an spend lots of money there. The Lanes brand is Allstar and it is very competitively priced among other brands.

Check them out.....

Marc

Dan Bowles 06-12-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8541083)
Their great. I deal with Mike. His sales counter is in the back right and corner of the showroom. Its about 40 minutes one way from my house but I get a decent discount from there as I'm tied to my friends business account. They have a local Hotrod shop an spend lots of money there. The Lanes brand is Allstar and it is very competitively priced among other brands.

Check them out.....

Marc

Thanks! I hit NPD in Belleville but get nothing there as far as discounts. It's just simple because they have most parts in stock for the AD trucks.

youngrodder 06-12-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Bowles (Post 8541089)
Thanks! I hit NPD in Belleville but get nothing there as far as discounts. It's just simple because they have most parts in stock for the AD trucks.

To be clear, Lanes is more general muscle car and hot rod parts. Nothing like AD restoration parts. Basically like a small summit. You can do some searches on their web site for the parts you might be interested in and the prices.

Marc

Dan Bowles 06-13-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8541239)
To be clear, Lanes is more general muscle car and hot rod parts. Nothing like AD restoration parts. Basically like a small summit. You can do some searches on their web site for the parts you might be interested in and the prices.

Marc

Will do. I see the showroom when I go by. I may still need some of that stuff once I get my act together.

Advanced Design 06-16-2019 10:17 AM

Wow, holy crap....I need to get back in the shop!

Lines look good Marc.

youngrodder 06-17-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8543221)
Wow, holy crap....I need to get back in the shop!

Lines look good Marc.

Thanks Doug...This project will receive a big boost in the coming weeks/months. The plan is to be driving it next spring....There, I have laid down the gauntlet. I will follow up later in week when everything has been finalized..

Marc

youngrodder 06-18-2019 12:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Last night I worked on degreasing/power washing the trans and painting the gas tank. The trans cleaned up nicely for round one. I painted the gas tank with truck bedliner. I figured it would help the tank blend in with the frame color. As an added bonus it might quiet down the fuel pump and sound of gas sloshing around with the extra sound deadening that the bedliner coating provides..Once I check the backlash on my rearend gears I can put together the back half of the frame..

youngrodder 06-23-2019 09:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
And just like that it's gone. I sold my green 48 truck yesterday. I happened just I like I thought it might. Someone would come along an want it more than I did. The truck is not driven as much as it should be with my active family. The boys are in more activities then ever. Over the past few years it also bothered me to have this much money tied up in something. My boys have college before you know it and I planned to take a portion of this sale and put it into each kids college funds. They don't like dads decision today but they will see it differently in a few yrs....

Now for my portion of the proceeds.....I plan to get the suburban on the road by next spring. No more saving for the parts I want. It's an exciting feeling.

Doug I'm laying down the gauntlet......the challenge is on for 2nd place. Next spring...#ontothenextone.

oldman3 06-23-2019 10:42 AM

Marc, your a good Dad thinking of the kids. A beautiful truck, hope the new owners enjoy it. Now that you've thrown down the gauntlet we expect lots of pics:lol::devil: ..Jim

Scott2 06-23-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8546982)
And just like that it's gone. I sold my green 48 truck yesterday. I happened just I like I thought it might. Someone would come along an want it more than I did. The truck is not driven as much as it should be with my active family. The boys are in more activities then ever. Over the past few years it also bothered me to have this much money tied up in something. My boys have college before you know it and I planned to take a portion of this sale and put it into each kids college funds. They don't like dads decision today but they will see it differently in a few yrs....

Now for my portion of the proceeds.....I plan to get the suburban on the road by next spring. No more saving for the parts I want. It's an exciting feeling.

Doug I'm laying down the gauntlet......the challenge is on for 2nd place. Next spring...#ontothenextone.

Sorry to see it go but that’s the nature of project cars and trucks. I’m excited to see the progress pick up on the suburban!

Nice Nova! Is that yours? More pics and some info would be great!

Doug - seems like we didn’t do near enough at the wire and fire in Jan! Better light a fire under that build!

mongocanfly 06-23-2019 12:16 PM

Sad day Marc...always hard to see all your hard work drive away...but family 1st...

99 to Life 06-23-2019 05:46 PM

its always bitter sweet. but its tuff keeping up with fam, several vehicles etc. Its nice to see where your builds end up. That thing will get noticed all over and you can always say you built it.

youngrodder 06-23-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 8547054)
Sorry to see it go but that’s the nature of project cars and trucks. I’m excited to see the progress pick up on the suburban!

Nice Nova! Is that yours? More pics and some info would be great!

Doug - seems like we didn’t do near enough at the wire and fire in Jan! Better light a fire under that build!

The Chevy II belonged to my buddy that owns the hotrod shop. It was a nasty car, it was features in Hotrod magazine. He sold it a few years back. He then built a 2nd gen Camaro that debuted at SEMA 2 yrs ago.

youngrodder 06-23-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8547028)
Marc, your a good Dad thinking of the kids. A beautiful truck, hope the new owners enjoy it. Now that you've thrown down the gauntlet we expect lots of pics:lol::devil: ..Jim

Thanks Jim. You will see progress. I'm farming some stuff out two work on multiple parts at the same time. I have already placed an order for engine goodies...

Marc

youngrodder 06-30-2019 10:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've been stock piling parts...I ordered a stage 3 came and other various motor parts. I ordered a Holly front drive and intake. I picked up a battery box and Accuair valve mount from eBay. On Saturday I picked up some odds and ends at Lanes. On Sunday I had a few hours of solid progress. I painted the battery box. I welded together the Accuair mount and painted it. I also bent and mounted my last brake line. Get this...I bought a 72" stick of SS brake line. I was able to bend it and it fit exactly.....No cuts. It usually doesn't workout that well...

mongocanfly 06-30-2019 10:28 PM

Looking good,!!....

oldman3 06-30-2019 11:36 PM

Very nice...Jim

knomadd 07-03-2019 07:10 PM

You've done a ton of nice work. I'm just now venturing out into the world of 50's builds, so I HAVE to see this one through.

youngrodder 07-06-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8551148)
Very nice...Jim

Thanks Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8552635)
You've done a ton of nice work. I'm just now venturing out into the world of 50's builds, so I HAVE to see this one through.

Thanks Duane, Its funny I think its helpful to go thru ones own build so you don't forget how far you come because at times it doesn't seem like I've made much progress....

Marc