The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

Dan in Pasadena 03-14-2010 01:43 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow Build (Post 3859293)
...Does the crank on the dash open the bottom of the windshield?...

Yes, it does. '46 was the last year for the crank out windshield. My cab is actually a '41 but there are only a couple tiny differences. Mine had no windshield regulator when I bought it but I lucked out and found a rusted solid one for $40. I took it all apart, wire wheeled it clean, re-assembled with white molybdenum grease and it works like new. That's a new handle though. Easy open/easy close.

Here's the truck from a few months ago. Mildly cammed 350/350 with Jag independent rear suspension, (front suspension as well). Four wheel power disc's and power steering. '51 Chevy car steelies, beauty rings& caps. Since I bought it last summer I've had it professionally re-wired, added a $40 Craigslist third row bench seat out of a Ram 12 passenger van - fits like a glove and it's TIGHT in that cab! Recently found the Doray yellow fog lights - a $10 steal from an estate sale. Not sure how I feel about them...but they're installed for the time being. Only took minor clean up and painting the mounts to make them like new. Scored a NOS Guide early rear view mirror at the same sale too but have not installed it yet. I've searched high and low and found the rear window pot metal trim ring, interior windlace retainer strips, headliner bows and bought installed assorted rubber parts, window channel, etc - all of which is not yet installed. Today I'm working on restoring the minor cracks in the steering wheel. Sorry to go on so. It' nice to have someone ask.

markeb01 03-14-2010 01:49 PM

Nice looking truck. I had a friend with one of these years ago, and finding all the pieces to make a decent grille was next to impossible. To see a chrome one in that condition is amazing. The seat looks like a great fit. I like the addition of the fog lights, they look great.

Dan in Pasadena 03-14-2010 01:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more pix to show some of the recent work. The 1941 California plate was a find at Pomona last week I couldn't pass up. I can't install it on my truck under California's "Year of Manufacture" license program but it was so cheap ($10) I bought it to try my hand at restoring one. If I WERE installing it, I'd repair the few rust-through pinholes it has. It will hang on my shop wall with a plate from to hide the chewed up edges. This is "Before" and in process shots. It's painted, I just haven't painted the yellow number/letters yet.

sams60gmc 03-14-2010 01:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We'll I haven't been on here for a while but I'm glad to see this thread still going strong!!! 1000 replies, woot. Anyways. I've gotten quite a bit done, I've machined some 8 1/2'' tubing and capped one end and cut out my control arms and welded them in. I also re built my upper bag plates out of thicker material. They turned out great. I have my bags somewhat plumbed up. They go to a T in the front bumper with a schraeder valve for now for I can just manually fill them until I get a compressor and a tank. Anyways here are the pics.

Sillyoldman 03-14-2010 07:38 PM

Finished up the brake lines and bleeding. I thought I had an oil pan leak. I did but it was due to my crappy chrome timing cover. Tore things apart today. My fancy aluminum water pump didn't fit so I installed a cast one which rusted up. I cleaned and painted it up today. I decided to go with an aluminum timing cover so I'll have to wait for the mailman.Got some sanding done on the floors.

hb32 03-14-2010 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started on the duals on my 65 stepside.

DPowers 03-14-2010 09:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Set the timing and started to strip the hood.

Chevy Fleetside 03-15-2010 11:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today I pulled the front clip out of the truck, cleaned it up a bit and painted some of it. I ran out of paint :waah: .. After that I put it back on the truck. I did all this by myself. Rich showed up as I was putting the last bolts on. I need to adjust the fenders up a bit in the back though. Here are some picture of how I do this alone.

Bugeyev8 03-16-2010 11:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got the e brake cables back in and whacked the ugly side pieces off the rear Barden bumper...bothered me for 20 years, the bumper is going in the trash soon but for now it looks better, also removed the chains and added inside latches to the tailgate

Slow Build 03-16-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeyev8 (Post 3863608)
also removed the chains and added inside latches to the tailgate

How are you keeping the taligate latched shut?

jonathan-m 03-16-2010 02:17 PM

Cut the front coils 1.5 coils. Put jeeps springs in the back. It rides like crap up front, but it looks good ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/DSCF1116.jpg

jonathan-m 03-16-2010 02:20 PM

here it is after the front cut and with the jeep springs in the back. I've switched it over to a fleet side now, but no pictures of that yet. I'm still debating whether I should make some 2inch lowering blocks for the rear to level it out. Any opinions?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/DSCF1142.jpg

ravens65 03-16-2010 02:43 PM

drop kits are fairly cheap for these trucks and if you get the right ones they ride great. I used CPP parts, of course I went a little overboard but... it feels like a little sports car

Dan in Pasadena 03-16-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan-m (Post 3863803)
here it is after the front cut and with the jeep springs in the back. I've switched it over to a fleet side now, but no pictures of that yet. I'm still debating whether I should make some 2inch lowering blocks for the rear to level it out. Any opinions?

Level it.

ccstreetbob 03-16-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan-m (Post 3863803)

I like the rake!

oklahomaduner 03-16-2010 04:27 PM

:lol: I washed mine..
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...r/HPIM3983.jpg

Slow Build 03-16-2010 05:45 PM

Changed the fuel fill hose so I can finally put some gas in it without it flowing into the cab. Also changed the dimmer switch so hopefully the lights will be a little more reliable.

burbguy 03-16-2010 06:00 PM

I cut off my bumpstops sunday, and after having it fall off of the floor jack(and onto me) I went to the E.R. for xrays...no broken bones.And a word of advise throw away the cheap floor jack from kragen's...LOL

shortbed70 03-16-2010 06:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
just for kicks set the bed on

jonathan-m 03-16-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burbguy (Post 3864118)
I cut off my bumpstops sunday, and after having it fall off of the floor jack(and onto me) I went to the E.R. for xrays...no broken bones.And a word of advise throw away the cheap floor jack from kragen's...LOL

Holy Sh*t! glad you're ok man, things like that scare me the most when working on stuff like this.

markeb01 03-16-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccstreetbob (Post 3863998)
I like the rake!

I also vote for the rake.

markeb01 03-16-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

I knocked a 46 Chevy off the jack installing a transmission when I was about 16. I had stands under the car, but left the car jacked up on the axle and didn't lower it to provide stability. Pounding a bit too hard to get the transmission in, the car fell off the jack and landed crooked on the stands keeping me from getting crushed. After pinning myself between the floor and the transmission for about a half hour, I found a new religion about safety!

Glad to hear there wasn't any lasting injury.

Slow Build 03-16-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oklahomaduner (Post 3863999)
:lol: I washed mine..

That things so clean it's invisible.

Quote:

and after having it fall off of the floor jack(and onto me) I went to the E.R. for xrays...no broken bones.

Glad your alright. That couldn't have been too much fun.

hossmann 03-16-2010 07:34 PM

i installed my ps pump and reattached the loud pipes

aerotruk63 03-16-2010 08:36 PM

Removed the universal joints off two of the drive shafts for the K10 and brought the third drive shaft for repair of the sliding yoke. Got the steering box back from the re-builder. De-greased the drive shafts to bring to our caliper/water pump/alternator/starter re-builder for blasting tomorrow. They blast my stuff in exchange for doughnuts. Not to many parts at a time but lot's of doughnuts.

shortbed70 03-16-2010 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sams60gmc (Post 3859817)
We'll I haven't been on here for a while but I'm glad to see this thread still going strong!!! 1000 replies, woot. Anyways. I've gotten quite a bit done, I've machined some 8 1/2'' tubing and capped one end and cut out my control arms and welded them in. I also re built my upper bag plates out of thicker material. They turned out great. I have my bags somewhat plumbed up. They go to a T in the front bumper with a schraeder valve for now for I can just manually fill them until I get a compressor and a tank. Anyways here are the pics.

I just did the same thing with my lowers for alot less then tubular ones and I did it myself.

daverod 03-16-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Jackstands come in handy and they are cheap. Haborfreight:smoke:Cheap in price not quality.

daverod 03-17-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 3864852)
I just did the same thing with my lowers for alot less then tubular ones and I did it myself.

The ones made out of a tube actually look like less work and less metal.:ito:

shortbed70 03-17-2010 12:07 AM

I dont care for the cheap ones I had my dodge truck fall on me and the rear end u bolt missed my head by about 2" and the running board hit my across the chest and leg and knocked the wind out of me and gave me a nice slash. I had the wheels blocked and the back wheels off and stands under the frame when I heard a pop and moved just enough to watch the stand fold and cheat death. One of the gussets welds broke inside the leg and caused it to fold. Glad to see you made it out ok.

shortbed70 03-17-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3864903)
The ones made out of a tube actually look like less work and less metal.:ito:

I had the metal laying around and I cant afford the full tubular arms.

daverod 03-17-2010 12:18 AM

His are stock arms also. He just made his pockets out of a tube.;)

sshockr 03-17-2010 10:16 AM

New Plugs and wires, mounted the trans crossmember, ran fuel lines to front of bed for temporary use of caprice gas tank and figured out the last piece of my header clearance issues.

burbguy 03-17-2010 10:38 AM

yeah actually I had just pulled out the jackstands, and was laying on the driveway reaching under to bleed off the "cheapy" floorjack, when the wheel of the jack got into the crack of the driveway. It then gave a little jerk and slid off of the jack and the bumper came down on my left arm. If I had a decent jack with a larger cup it probably would have stay'd, but the cup on my jack is only like maybe 2" in diameter, so it wouldn't take much to fall off... anyways I got lucky that when it came down on me it kinda spit me out instead of sitting down on me fully...

Chevy Fleetside 03-17-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burbguy (Post 3865408)
yeah actually I had just pulled out the jackstands, and was laying on the driveway reaching under to bleed off the "cheapy" floorjack, when the wheel of the jack got into the crack of the driveway. It then gave a little jerk and slid off of the jack and the bumper came down on my left arm. If I had a decent jack with a larger cup it probably would have stay'd, but the cup on my jack is only like maybe 2" in diameter, so it wouldn't take much to fall off... anyways I got lucky that when it came down on me it kinda spit me out instead of sitting down on me fully...

I think I have that jack from Kragen you are talking about. I think the cup was about 4" round. Well on my other jack that I didn't like, had about a 7" round cup so I used that one instead. I also have the 6 ton jack stands from Harbor Fright (no that is not a typo :D ) and seem to be doing fine.

kizer 03-17-2010 05:41 PM

Finally got the stock steering wheel off and the shaft out of the column. Now I'm close to pulling the cab and not worrying about stabbing the ground when I put it on stands. ;)

aerotruk63 03-17-2010 06:16 PM

Have all the drive shafts back today. Primed ready for paint when we spray the frame and 17" steel wheels.

Rob H. 03-17-2010 08:38 PM

I put the good driver's side sunvisor on that I got off of a 68 C/60 former garbage truck. I was really happy when I looked at the old truck down at Dad's and saw it had the same color visors as my 67, also got a nice vinyl covered door panel that matches mine! It had the bigger armrest instead of the small ones on my 67 but I guess you can't have everthing for free!

hb32 03-17-2010 09:02 PM

I took the truck to Midas where they finished off my dual exhaust.

markeb01 03-17-2010 09:56 PM

Unfortunately it's marked as a private video and won't allow it to play.

steveb64 03-17-2010 11:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed my modular drop spindles and checked my front tire clearance.