The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   ''Project '64 SYT Super Yenko Truck" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=331161)

Alan's Classic 11-07-2009 09:13 AM

Re: ''Project '64 SYT Super Yenko Truck"

Has the truck been sitting long? I had a car that was running great and I let it sit for a while. I started it up and had a lot of valve train rattle. The varnish inside the motor got a little sticky. I remember my dad using Marvel mystery oil. I put in about a 10th of the oil capacity and let it run for about 30 minutes and it went away. It was a cheap fix.

jgh64pkup 11-07-2009 11:49 AM

i got a little bit of water in it because i hooked up a line wrong
the engine was in a rolled vehicle so i dont know if it had any problems before

2manyprojects 11-07-2009 10:41 PM

If you got water in it you might have knocked a chunk of carbon loose. I just went through that with my S10. It got left out in the rain with no hood and got water in the engine. It had a bad knock. My Dad poured something in the throttle body to break it up. The noise went away after a few days. I just drove it 500 miles today to get a front clip for my 50, and it ran perfect. I'll find out what he used and let you know.

Cool Build by the way. I wish I could have made progress like you are when I was 15. I think I ended up fixing more of my screw ups on my 68 than actually moving forward. :lol:

shortbed70 11-07-2009 10:49 PM

Nice thread jacking on your own post...JK We had a ferd with v6 thats did that same thing and turned out to be a lifter had turned or froze up we dont know but proceeded to destroy the motor but ran ok during the time until it was bounced off the limiter to blow it up for warranty.

jgh64pkup 11-08-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manyprojects (Post 3607873)
If you got water in it you might have knocked a chunk of carbon loose. I just went through that with my S10. It got left out in the rain with no hood and got water in the engine. It had a bad knock. My Dad poured something in the throttle body to break it up. The noise went away after a few days. I just drove it 500 miles today to get a front clip for my 50, and it ran perfect. I'll find out what he used and let you know.

Cool Build by the way. I wish I could have made progress like you are when I was 15. I think I ended up fixing more of my screw ups on my 68 than actually moving forward. :lol:

well let me know
i just put some flowmaster super 40s on it earlier it sounds good

dammitmitchell 11-09-2009 12:40 AM

im theinkin exhaust manifold gasket...... same loud tic...

2manyprojects 11-11-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manyprojects (Post 3607873)

He used AC Delco X66P Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner. I'm sure you could find something similar at your local parts store. Just look for something that will break up carbon deposits. Even if that doesn't fix your problem it wont hurt to clean it. Good luck!
I had flowmaster super 40's on my old S10. they do sound sweet. You should post a video.

jgh64pkup 11-11-2009 08:15 PM

thanks i will post a video after i get it to quit knocking

dammitmitchell 11-11-2009 08:44 PM

did you replace and check the exhaust gasket yet little dude?

jgh64pkup 11-11-2009 09:34 PM

no but im going to try this first this is much easier and cheaper

jgh64pkup 11-15-2009 11:42 PM

well i put a different carb on this stupid thing
the holley is a total piece of sh!t and so is this quadrajunk that i just put on
it is better than the holley though
i have to use an adapter because of the intake
man i need another carb
it suks to be too young to get a job

Strodder 11-15-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3622234)
well i put a different carb on this stupid thing
the holley is a total piece of sh!t and so is this quadrajunk that i just put on
it is better than the holley though
i have to use an adapter because of the intake
man i need another carb
it suks to be too young to get a job

It's about time you did some work on it. Why don't you rebuild the Quadrajet. They work good for me. The biggest problem is the plug on the bottom leaks gas, and has to be epoxied. The rest of the rebuild is easy. Make sure the shafts are ok too, and not worn out, or you will have to install bushings.

jgh64pkup 11-15-2009 11:53 PM

it was just rebuilt a few years ago ran for 2 months and put on the shelf
i pulled it down the other day and pulled the top off it looked really clean
the only things it wont idle down and i have to use an adapter
why wont it idle down about 1200 rpms is as low as it will go

Strodder 11-16-2009 11:07 AM

Drive it over here and I'll look at it. :haha: :haha:

jgh64pkup 11-16-2009 08:35 PM

:haha:
yeah that sounds like a good idea

highperf4x4 11-17-2009 10:44 PM

So you ran the idle jets all the way in and it was still idling at 1200??

jgh64pkup 11-17-2009 11:03 PM

i got it now
i thought the idle screw was all the way out but it wasnt
it runs a little rich but runs good and has excellent throttle response

highperf4x4 11-17-2009 11:07 PM

You can adjust the idle jets to lean it down some. It will pull fuel through them even under throttle. Getting the mixture right will increase mileage without hurting your performance. You'll just be getting less unburned fuel/carbon. Q-jets get pretty good mileage when you keep your foot out of them. I'm with Stodder. I like to use them myself. I haven't found a carb that will perform as well when you get them set right.

Not to mention they have that monster sound when the secondaries open. :lol:

jgh64pkup 11-17-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highperf4x4 (Post 3625867)
You can adjust the idle jets to lean it down some. It will pull fuel through them even under throttle. Getting the mixture right will increase mileage without hurting your performance.

so how do i do that? :confused:
:D

highperf4x4 11-17-2009 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3625877)
so how do i do that? :confused:
:D

There's 2 idle jets on the front of the carb. They may have caps on them that need to be knocked off though if they've never been adjusted. You can either use a skinny flat head screw driver or a flexible tool specifically for carbs.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...PartType=C0374

I like to run my jets all the way in and them back them out about 1 to 1.5 turns. It might be better to set them by sound though. Whatever makes the engine run the smoothest and then set your throttle adjsutment again to get the idle you want. While you have the engine down to about 800 rpm you can set the timing again with the vacum advance disconnected to where you'd like it to be. Stock would be about 4 degrees before tdc and mid performance could be as high as 8 or 10 degrees.

jgh64pkup 11-18-2009 12:00 AM

oh okay ive gotcha ya now
i have them set at 1.5 turns
but its running rich still
should i go more

highperf4x4 11-18-2009 12:15 AM

If it's still rich then you need to go back in with them. I'd run them all the way in and then back them out a half turn at a time until the engine will idle smooth on it's own and then up your set screw a little if you need to.

jgh64pkup 11-18-2009 12:23 AM

why do they have such good throttle response

Rich 5150 69 11-18-2009 12:26 AM

jgh64pkup, this site might help. i`m with these guys, once set up right performance is great. There are several sites in this link not all work.

http://www.florida4x4.com/tech/quadrajet/index.php

highperf4x4 11-18-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3626049)
why do they have such good throttle response

Throttle response is controlled by many factors. A dual plane intake is good, no vacum leaks, a split plenum, a strong accelerator pump, proper timing, etc etc. When you have these factors taken care of you can get great throttle response from almost any carb that doesn't have issues.