The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

WorkinLonghorn 06-22-2019 12:00 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Replaced doughnut gasket and tightened up header pipe, rehung left exhaust pipe and replaced the 2 3-Lbs coffee cans and baling wire that hold the round muffler together. Neighbors will never even hear me leaving at 06:00 anymore.

72c20customcamper 06-24-2019 12:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did a test fit of the wood for my 68. Now just need to cut to length and stain . I'm going with the lighter of the two blacks. New bedstrips should be in this week.

RustyPile 06-24-2019 01:22 PM

This post isn't so much about what I did today.. More like what I've been doing the past year to fix a reoccurring problem.. When I bought my '71 in December of 2017, the fuel gauge didn't work.. When I removed the sending unit, I found the brass float had partially "dissolved".. I ordered a replacement along with a spare float a little less than a year ago. I replaced the unit, and before the truck had consumed a tank of gas, the gauge failed again.. The new float had developed a leak in the soldered seam.. I replaced the float with the spare I had ordered.. In a brief period, the second float failed at the seam also.. I contacted the company I bought the sending unit from and they sent me a replacement sending unit.. That was about a month ago, while the unit was still within the one year warranty.. Well ---- you guessed it.. Another float has failed.. I don't know what's causing so many floats to fail in the same area, but this time I'm looking at a different fix for the problem..

Steeveedee 06-24-2019 04:33 PM

Crappy solder joint would be my take. When you solder the float pieces together, there will be low pressure inside as the parts cool. That can suck solder in, causing a leak. Maybe try a bead of JB Weld? I had a plastic one from a Buick that I sold. I ended up using that after one repair attempt on the brass float. I didn't think of the JB Weld at that time.

SRU1436 06-25-2019 12:00 AM

Changed the engine oil.

BC10 06-25-2019 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyPile (Post 8547764)
This post isn't so much about what I did today.. More like what I've been doing the past year to fix a reoccurring problem.. When I bought my '71 in December of 2017, the fuel gauge didn't work.. When I removed the sending unit, I found the brass float had partially "dissolved".. I ordered a replacement along with a spare float a little less than a year ago. I replaced the unit, and before the truck had consumed a tank of gas, the gauge failed again.. The new float had developed a leak in the soldered seam.. I replaced the float with the spare I had ordered.. In a brief period, the second float failed at the seam also.. I contacted the company I bought the sending unit from and they sent me a replacement sending unit.. That was about a month ago, while the unit was still within the one year warranty.. Well ---- you guessed it.. Another float has failed.. I don't know what's causing so many floats to fail in the same area, but this time I'm looking at a different fix for the problem..

Call Classic Heartbeat, and talk to Wes. He has a type of plastic float that has been working for me for five years now.

tdangle 06-25-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyPile (Post 8547764)

I have had the same problem. I bought a plastic float that was identical to the brass ones. Problem solved https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

72c20customcamper 06-25-2019 06:12 PM

Rained today so I went and bought more paint for the 68. My wallet is very light now:lol:

Grumpy I'll post some pics of the unpatina'd truck in the next few weeks

Steeveedee 06-25-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8548444)
Rained today so I went and bought more paint for the 68. My wallet is very light now:lol:

Grumpy I'll post some pics of the unpatina'd truck in the next few weeks

Paint is just STUPID expensive, any more. Guess I'm getting old. The two most expensive colors are red and yellow. Nice, my truck is a mix of both colors. :(

RustyPile 06-26-2019 04:07 AM

I guess all you guys that replied to my post about the multiple fuel gauge float failures think I'm some kind of pompous snob because I never posted a response.. In keeping with Liz's intentions for starting this thread, I remained in the background, as it wasn't my intentions to seek help with a solution to the problem.. I already knew what I had to do.. I want to thank each and every one of you for the solution contributions..

Now as to what I did to my truck today.... I ordered later a model fuel gauge sending unit, one with the third line intended for fuel recirculation, and a plastic float to go with it.. I broke out my trusty tubing bender and a few clothes hangers.. While I wait for the new parts to arrive, I've installed a mechanical fuel pump to replace the noisy electric unit. Also, I'll be bending up a return line.. Looks like I have enough to do for the next few days...

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming..

72c20customcamper 06-26-2019 05:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Blasted one side today. The blaster will only do fine slag or crushed glass. Little slow on rust but takes the paint off nicely. Not a lot of heat either. Kept checking it with an infrared thermo.
But it is nice not doing any rot work. I may just paint the inside of the fenders body color. Black specks is what's left of the undercoating not rust

RodnRudy 06-26-2019 08:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Going to the GoodGuys Nats in Columbus, Ohio in a couple of weeks so I put my "High Tech" tool box in the bed to keep stuff dry in case of rain. I needed a way to hold it in and not wanting to over engineer it or drill holes in the pristine bed floor I came up with a couple of 1/8" by 1 1/2" straps bent 90 degrees and was able to remove two bed mounting bolts and use the holes to fasten the box down. When I decide to remove the box I can replace the original rusty headed carriage bolts.

Old_Gold 06-30-2019 01:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found my exhaust leak!
Header installation in process...
Anyone interested in a slightly used , original rams horn? Lol!

KQQL IT 06-30-2019 01:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Cleaned up a mess under the seat.
And ditched the stack of spacers under the seat
And put in new 3 point belts from T korinek
The belts went in and work perfect.

vitamin_c95 06-30-2019 01:42 AM

Wanted to change out my steering box, but can't find it local ( I'm not paying $800). Instead I ran new rubber fuel lines and changed all the in line filters. My timing light arrives tomorrow so will check timing and maybe see if I can adjust my carb.
Back story-purchased truck from neighbor. They had it since 2015. Had plans to restore but didn't get very far. So it's mine now, so minimum 4 years of sitting. I want to restore and start cruising it. Slowly finding parts needing replaced. My back ordered heater core finally arrived after 3 months on order. Trying to get it road worthy for now.

WorkinLonghorn 06-30-2019 08:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got one of my saddle tanks back on-line.

"Fixed" my ancient exhaust system replacing the manifold to pipe brass nuts and changing out the coffee cans that hold the muffler together.

Replaced windshield washer hose but there is not enough pressure to squirt more than a few inches, still not bad for not having worked for 30 years.

Fixed charging system (wire to Ign. Switch came loose). -BA

rowdy11 06-30-2019 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cab and bed finally off! No turning back now, is there?

Thrill4130 06-30-2019 09:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fixing some minor safety issues. Coil spring was broken off in the control arm. Ball joint fell out of arm. Hopefully the airbags, newer control arms(68’) and new ball joints get rid of the rattling death feel. Real curious how long it’s been broken since I’ve been driving 50 miles a day last few months.
Posted via Mobile Device

Metaldoc 07-02-2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn (Post 8550676)
Got one of my saddle tanks back on-line.

"Fixed" my ancient exhaust system replacing the manifold to pipe brass nuts and changing out the coffee cans that hold the muffler together.

Replaced windshield washer hose but there is not enough pressure to squirt more than a few inches, still not bad for not having worked for 30 years.

Fixed charging system (wire to Ign. Switch came loose). -BA

How does the chain saw blade work as a structural support?

WorkinLonghorn 07-02-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 8551697)
How does the chain saw blade work as a structural support?

Works great. Was way out in bumfuc and saw that my tank was being supported by the exhaust pipe after the support dropped through the bed wood. So I did what I could. Right now I'm too busy to worry about fixing it the right way (new bed wood). I thought you guys would get a laugh.

Oh, that other "structural support" is a section of 4" plastic bender-board that i sawed a notch in with a carpenters saw.

Thrill4130 07-07-2019 03:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally stretched the tonneau cover on, I stitched up on camper. Now the bike can survive the sun. One step closer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Steeveedee 07-07-2019 08:11 PM

Cool!

Yesterday and today my son drove the truck to do some handy man work. He loves that truck! When my wife and I shuffle off this mortal coil, he's going to be the recipient. All my tools, too. The other two have no interest in any of that. :(

72c20customcamper 07-08-2019 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Painted the inner fender area on the step side. Now I'm sanding the steps and fenders hope to get it painted today.

Mryan 07-08-2019 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I removed the heart...

Super Dude 07-08-2019 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sand, sweat, get covered in dust, repeat...