The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627134)

CHIZZLER 03-20-2016 11:43 PM

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Tank install looks solid.

99 to Life 03-20-2016 11:54 PM

looks really nice. I too ordered up the magswitch. Got one from cyberwelder its much smaller than I anticipated, but I do like it. Thing is very powerful.

RockinKees 03-21-2016 04:33 AM

Tank mounts are nice!
Some things just takes a lot of time ;)

oldman3 03-21-2016 09:28 AM

Nice job Doug...Jim

JJorgensen52 03-21-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7529328)
Here is the general concept for the rear strap attachment. I will either use a locking nut to lock the bolt in or maybe a stud, locking nut at the top to hold the stud from turning and a nut on either side of the strap. Also need to make a square washer, I think, to give the strap a little more support where it rests on the bolt and washer.

Doug,

Looks good!

For your strap bolt, what about cutting a piece of DOM tubing to act as a spacer there, so your strap can have nice even pressure against the crossbar, rather than multiple nuts and washers?

Sim6 03-21-2016 10:29 AM

First class Doug! Can't wait to see this thing wrap up.

lower50's 03-21-2016 12:56 PM

May be a month long tank install but looks top notch. Oh burn with the seat lol.

65sub 03-21-2016 09:45 PM

Tank mounting looks good Doug. Slow and steady will get you there. Remember you aren't getting paid

joedoh 03-21-2016 11:40 PM

tank looks great! do you have rubber on the straps? that should keep the tank still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7529317)
I think Joedoh was using the magnets that you can switch off, so I ordered a couple. They are pretty handy.

twas me, I love mine!

Advanced Design 03-23-2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7529618)
Doug

The tank install looks great...

Marc

Thanks Marc!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIZZLER (Post 7529728)
Tank install looks solid.

Thank you Chizzler.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7529740)
looks really nice. I too ordered up the magswitch. Got one from cyberwelder its much smaller than I anticipated, but I do like it. Thing is very powerful.

Thanks 99. the magnet is tiny but mighty. Pretty handy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7529852)
Tank mounts are nice!
Some things just takes a lot of time ;)

Thanks Kees, yes on the time. Month long, really three days of work, and more like 2.5 days of thinking and trying things then 2 hours of fab. All fun though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7529976)
Nice job Doug...Jim

Thanks Jim!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJorgensen52 (Post 7530016)
Doug,

Looks good!

For your strap bolt, what about cutting a piece of DOM tubing to act as a spacer there, so your strap can have nice even pressure against the crossbar, rather than multiple nuts and washers?

Thanks JJ...Hmmm...good idea! Will see about trying that. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim6 (Post 7530050)
First class Doug! Can't wait to see this thing wrap up.

Thanks Jeff, me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7530230)
May be a month long tank install but looks top notch. Oh burn with the seat lol.

Thanks Lowers...big grin on the seat! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7530946)
Tank mounting looks good Doug. Slow and steady will get you there. Remember you aren't getting paid

Thanks Dale, Yep, I am the tortoise!

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 7531097)
tank looks great! do you have rubber on the straps? that should keep the tank still.

twas me, I love mine!

Thanks joedoh, yes I have the rubber for the straps. Still going to find something for the brackets too. The little magnets are pretty handy!

Donnie Lee 03-24-2016 05:04 PM

Hi AD, I am reading & enjoying your build, got to page 38 post #946 & you show a face shield I haven't seen before. Where can I find this shield and do you remember the model or stock #?

Thanks

Advanced Design 03-24-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie Lee (Post 7534196)
Hi AD, I am reading & enjoying your build, got to page 38 post #946 & you show a face shield I haven't seen before. Where can I find this shield and do you remember the model or stock #?

Thanks

Hi Donnie Lee,
Cool, it is a marathon to make it through this thread. I saw the face shield on another thread and ordered mine from Amazon. Light weight, doesn't fog and comfortable to wear.

Here is a link...Uvex S8510 Bionic Shield, Black Matte Face... Uvex S8510 Bionic Shield, Black Matte Face...

Donnie Lee 03-24-2016 08:28 PM

Hey Doug, thanks for the link, I'm placing order tonite. I haven't got all the way thru your build, I'm re-reading a lot as all of this is new to me. I look forward to keeping up as you continue the build. Next month the 2nd Goodguys event takes place in Raleigh, NC at the fairgrounds. I went last year and the Ad's & Burbs. were represented well, probably 30-35 trucks & 10-12 Burbs. Only a couple were local, some from the Charlotte area, most from out of state. That's when my son & I got the bug and he bought the truck in our build thread.

Thanks Again
Donnie

Advanced Design 03-25-2016 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie Lee (Post 7534462)
Hey Doug, thanks for the link, I'm placing order tonite. I haven't got all the way thru your build, I'm re-reading a lot as all of this is new to me. I look forward to keeping up as you continue the build. Next month the 2nd Goodguys event takes place in Raleigh, NC at the fairgrounds. I went last year and the Ad's & Burbs. were represented well, probably 30-35 trucks & 10-12 Burbs. Only a couple were local, some from the Charlotte area, most from out of state. That's when my son & I got the bug and he bought the truck in our build thread.

Thanks Again
Donnie

Very welcome Donnie. Good luck with your build and have fun. I will be tagging along.

Fuel tank install is done. So I moved up front for a moment to clearance the right frame rail for the Hooker exhaust manifold. I will reinforce the rail with a plate inside once it comes apart again.

Advanced Design 03-25-2016 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone guess what bullet I didn't dodge here? I thought it would be good...and it isn't.

joedoh 03-25-2016 08:42 PM

well do you have it set at dropped height and the axle center at half your wheel diameter? you may not need it to drop all the way and it might clear the driveshaft.

but a simple notch will clear it.

Advanced Design 03-25-2016 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 7535495)
well do you have it set at dropped height and the axle center at half your wheel diameter? you may not need it to drop all the way and it might clear the driveshaft.

but a simple notch will clear it.

You know, good point Joedoh....the rear is up against the bump stop and it may not drop that low depending on wheels.

Probably will do a notch, and at my fab speed it should only take me a month. :)

Possmguts 03-25-2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7535399)
Can anyone guess what bullet I didn't dodge here? I thought it would be good...and it isn't.

Isnt that what the big hammer is for??

Advanced Design 03-26-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7535710)
Isnt that what the big hammer is for??

Yeah, bfh...and sawzall. :)

There is a build on here somewhere I am following, where he made a nice little hoop or channel in the crossmember for driveshaft clearance. Gotta find that again for inspiration.

Found it, oldnslows awesome build...post 66....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=437066&page=3

reaper71 03-26-2016 09:34 AM

Had to do the same cut out on the frame for Blake's as well Doug!
A hoop should work just fine...A little cut,grind & weld and good to go!!

Mark...

Iceburgh 03-26-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7535399)

I thought the same thing . I had to cut and notch as well, it looks like yours will be lower so cut away

Advanced Design 03-26-2016 10:16 PM

Hey Mark and Iceburgh, yeah a hoop or reinforced notch will get the clearance needed. Going to wait for the driveshaft to come in first to get a good look at what will work.
Hopefully a notch will work to keep the flat on top since that is where I fabbed the mount for the air valve blocks. And not a big deal if I have to move it.

Been studying on exhaust and exiting through running board is best option I can see. Just not enough room to go up and over the axle. So, I will need to move the battery to open up that space. Didn't think ahead enough on that one...doh!

lower50's 03-28-2016 04:33 AM

A little hump will give you lots of clearance.

Advanced Design 03-28-2016 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7537941)
A little hump will give you lots of clearance.

Yeah, I too think it will make a lot of difference. Don't want to hoop above too much to stay away from the body. There was enough clearance for the valve block so some hoop above will clear.

Been studying on exhaust. Marc and IIslow went out through the boards so hope to see what they did at exit to not have to reinvent...

Ordered an x pipe and flex joints from Jegs then will figure out the rest.

The adapter / down pipes Hooker has for their LS swap in 73 - 87 C10 might work for this one. Before ordering them I am trying to find out the pipe dimensions for best guess if it will work.

reaper71 03-28-2016 09:37 AM

We've ALL been there Doug I am no different!
It is something we have to deal with in the best way possible, as they say(If it was easy everybody would do it!) good thing is it's metal and it can be cut out,welded and ground down and never know it was changed!

Mark..

Advanced Design 03-28-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper71 (Post 7538073)
We've ALL been there Doug I am no different!
It is something we have to deal with in the best way possible, as they say(If it was easy everybody would do it!) good thing is it's metal and it can be cut out,welded and ground down and never know it was changed!

Mark..

You mean I am not the only one to make mistakes? :). Even with it is all good for me...and I can poke fun at myself. Like my first rear floor...ugh..

Love metal, never good with wood.

Advanced Design 03-28-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7538071)
The adapter / down pipes Hooker has for their LS swap in 73 - 87 C10 might work for this one. Before ordering them I am trying to find out the pipe dimensions for best guess if it will work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddoky (Post 7538393)
The approximate dimensions measured in reference from the rear-most hole located on the machined outlet surface of the manifolds to the bottom of the outlets of the adapter tubes are as follows;

Driver side- 9.25"
Passenger side- 9.75"

More great customer service from Todd at Holley. He is the development engineer for the Holley LS swap kits and has a thread here on the development of the 73 - 87 C10. He is also posting development updates on LS1Tech.

Thanks again Todd!

Advanced Design 03-28-2016 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I had some good help today. He said "Grandpa, it sure does take a long time to build these projects. I can remember I was pretty little when you started on the 56 Chevy. When will this one be done?"

Advanced Design 03-28-2016 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Due to the 4 link bars on the outside I moved the runningboard bracket and mount forward a few inches. Reused this one since I carefully ground out the spot welds.

Advanced Design 03-28-2016 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drilled the holes for the bracket in the new location. Of course the top ones came out onto an edge of the crossmember. So I welded in nuts.

Planned to get both sides done and only finished this one.

Advanced Design 03-28-2016 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Instead we had some fun with our Grandsons playing shop badmitten.

Advanced Design 03-30-2016 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some exhaust parts have arrived and the downpipes are on back order.

Relocated the right side rear bracket and simplified installation by drilling the top two holes 3/4 inch lower. Way easier than the left side and don't know why I didn't think before...

Looking for rectangular exhaust tips for exit through the running board and all I am finding are t304 stainless so far. If anyone knows of mild steel or 409 stainless rectangular exhaust tips appreciate a heads up.

Advanced Design 03-30-2016 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stopped by a friends shop to see how he is making out with his 52 Buick.

Valarius_Starchaser 03-30-2016 09:19 PM

Nice work on the other side running board sometimes we need to take a step back to see an easier way

lower50's 03-30-2016 11:29 PM

Why not use 304? Wow twin turbo!!

Advanced Design 03-30-2016 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So right Valarious, a step back and a different day made the difference in finding a better solution.

Lower, I don't have the equipment or gas mix to weld the 304 and I need to do a little welding in following what oldnslow did for his running board exit. He drew this up and posted on his build. I just might try to make some out of 16 gauge then have them coated. Or try a different attachment solution with the 304 stainless tips.

Buddy's ocd was kicking in he said when he decided to go with two turbo's. Just not bad enough to pay for mirror image turbo's. Here is a link from when we found the car...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=696348

youngrodder 03-31-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7542367)
So right Valarious, a step back and a different day made the difference in finding a better solution.

Lower, I don't have the equipment or gas mix to weld the 304 and I need to do a little welding in following what oldnslow did for his running board exit. He drew this up and posted on his build. I just might try to make some out of 16 gauge then have them coated. Or try a different attachment solution with the 304 stainless tips.

Buddy's ocd was kicking in he said when he decided to go with two turbo's. Just not bad enough to pay for mirror image turbo's. Here is a link from when we found the car...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=696348

Not to discredit at all how old n slow did this but for the sake of discussion I did not build a heat shield and mine only has approx. 3/8" clearance and there has been no effect to the paint from heat. I actually even cut in my openings after the running boards were painted. I don't recommend this, it was just a byproduct of my poor planning in not mocking EVERYTHING up in advance of paint.

If it helps I can dig up some pics of mine or take any that you might need.

Marc

Advanced Design 03-31-2016 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7543239)
Not to discredit at all how old n slow did this but for the sake of discussion I did not build a heat shield and mine only has approx. 3/8" clearance and there has been no effect to the paint from heat. I actually even cut in my openings after the running boards were painted. I don't recommend this, it was just a byproduct of my poor planning in not mocking EVERYTHING up in advance of paint.

If it helps I can dig up some pics of mine or take any that you might need.

Marc

Thanks Marc. Please don't bother with it as I think I have a good direction to go. Gotta say I wouldn't have thought of the flex pipes except for your and oldnslow's comments so appreciate that. Good thought on the heat shields as I likely will leave the boards as they are.

Now for more exhaust parts to show up....

Hey, are you sandbagging? Figure you will have a start video any day now. :)

youngrodder 04-01-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7543327)
Thanks Marc. Please don't bother with it as I think I have a good direction to go. Gotta say I wouldn't have thought of the flex pipes except for your and oldnslow's comments so appreciate that. Good thought on the heat shields as I likely will leave the boards as they are.

Now for more exhaust parts to show up....

Hey, are you sandbagging? Figure you will have a start video any day now. :)

Yea sandbagging that's what I'm doing. is that the same as dragging my feet? I need to sell my 01 Camaro roller to free up some cash. I have been getting my 48 back on the road. I had to rebuild the valves for my air ride. Now that it is road worthy I can get back on the 53 Burb.

Remember I always said I would come in last....that way I see it I'm right on schedule (:

Marc

Advanced Design 04-09-2016 09:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I spent a lot of time researching exhaust options and it looked like the Hooker LS swap 73 - 87 C10 downpipes would work for this application. Toddoky provided the measurements so I took a chance and ordered them.

The downpipes had a lot of sanding debris inside and needed a good cleaning.

They fit really well and should work for this Burb.