The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

evilokc 01-28-2018 01:26 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

1 Attachment(s)
purchased my door jam switches today and set out to create light! I sort of did? I pulled the seat out and cleaned up the floor. it was a terrible mess. for reasons unknown to me when I got in it dawned on me that the light on the shifter indicator had never worked. I'm don interior lighting and that counts. the indicator itself had also not worked for as long as I could remember. the shifter is 15 years old so maybe it did work but I don't remember it. since I had to take the whole dammed cover off to get to the light i figured might as well fix it all. the indicator issue was immediately apparent. the cable that connected it to the shifter arm was snapped. its a pretty hefty cable so I'm not sure how that could have happened but the jerk who put it in has a way of making terrible things happen. I had the excess from my holley throttle cable left over and was able to cut it to size and make that work. I figured the bulb was burned out so I replaced it but the light still didn't work. checking the wires I found one that wasn't connected well and popping it on correctly brought the new bulb to life. I took the time to wash the shifter cover and top cover but when I went to install them I realized the C clip that holds the indicator cable to the shifter is missing. must have come off when the cable broke. I will get one tomorrow and put it all back together and then continue onto the dome light. good day. got stuff done.

evilokc 01-28-2018 09:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
screwed with the wiring for a while. didn't make much progress on it. pulled the fuse panel down and looked at the back to try and find the wire I'm looking for. In the "dome " light fuse there is only 1 wire and its black or appears so in my light. It might be blk/blu wire. I hooked it up to the dome light and when I grounded it I popped the fuse. so that was a great waste of 2 hours. to make sure today wasn't a total loss I installed the passenger side mirror. ive had this mirror under the seat about 5 years. I installed the driver mirror 5 years ago but installing the passenger is a pain. I did it though and it looks good. I'm going to get more fuses and keep researching this wiring.

mud.man.rj 01-28-2018 11:21 PM

Now that's some work on those doors at one time, unique.
Mudman.

dsraven 01-29-2018 01:00 AM

try pulling the dome light bulb and checking for a short. sometimes it is the wrong bulb installed, or just pull the whole thing and bench test it. if you bench test it and it's good then you just need a good power source and then a wire to ground it at the headlight switch. sometimes easier and quicker to start over.

bosco 01-29-2018 01:35 AM

Replaced my noisy Holley fuel pump with a Mallory pump. What a difference. Can't even hear the new pump running.

evilokc 01-30-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8172889)
try pulling the dome light bulb and checking for a short. sometimes it is the wrong bulb installed, or just pull the whole thing and bench test it. if you bench test it and it's good then you just need a good power source and then a wire to ground it at the headlight switch. sometimes easier and quicker to start over.

i pulled the whole unit out and put in a brand new bulb. my understanding is I need a power wire and when its grounded it will light. that's what I was trying when I popped the fuse.

sharp_1 01-30-2018 09:01 AM

Pulled wiring harness and starting over!

Last guy had the dome light blinking with the flasher, front parking lights on with the brake lights, fan on with accessory switch...do I need to keep going?

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sLe...=w1470-h828-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rn...=w1470-h828-no

MiraclePieCo 01-31-2018 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharp_1 (Post 8173791)
Pulled wiring harness and starting over!

Last guy had the dome light blinking with the flasher, front parking lights on with the brake lights, fan on with accessory switch...do I need to keep going?

LOL, that would be funny if it weren't so tragic!

Black_Sheep 02-03-2018 05:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
making more dust...

evilokc 02-03-2018 06:48 PM

my whole crew and I have the flu. I wont be doing any work for a while. I did get some door parts in the mail though. if I ever get better I will be back on the lighting. still haven't found the correct size c clip for my shifter.

dflarsen77 02-03-2018 10:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
First time posting on the 47-59 forum. I just inherited my father in laws 54 panel. It's whole and mostly original, 235 and 3 speed on the floor. It hasn't run in years, the wiring is a mess. But I wanted this truck for years. Tried to buy it in the late 90s. I have to finish my 70 C10 before I get anything done on the 54, but I'm excited! Has original grille, chrome running boards, seats.

vintovka 02-03-2018 10:55 PM

Glad Im not only one with upside down and sideways pics. Looks like a nice project on a scarce vehicle. Reminds me of my 52 suburban and that cross counry trip to woodstock.

mud.man.rj 02-04-2018 12:03 AM

Like the panel, congrat's.
Mudman.

Softpatch 02-04-2018 01:32 AM

I too like the 54 Panel

mud.man.rj 02-04-2018 02:32 AM

The outside looks rough so the inside is quite a nice surprise, so solid.
Mudman.

evilokc 02-04-2018 04:18 PM

that's going to be cool! I like the 54 sheet metal the best and a panel is just cool.

Black_Sheep 02-04-2018 08:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Making dust...

Jesse Z 02-05-2018 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dflarsen77 (Post 8177555)
I just inherited my father in laws 54 panel. But I wanted this truck for years. Tried to buy it in the late 90s. I'm excited!

Did you marry your wife just to get a shot at this truck? If so, it was worth it!

MiraclePieCo 02-10-2018 10:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
51 Panel: Made some strap tensioners today to hold my rear-mount fuel tank in place.

Black_Sheep 02-11-2018 12:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I finished up the bodywork on the DS rear fender, swept the shop then opened both doors and blew it out with the backpack leaf blower. Once the shop was "clean" I took a break from sanding and worked on some loose ends. First step was adding some Dynaliner on the floor under and behind the seat. Then I finished modifying the brake pedal, painted it and cut out 40oz jute carpet padding to fit the flat portion of the floor.

Today's goal is to install the freshly painted brake pedal, figure out the console wiring (stereo and power port) and get some jute cut out for the passenger side toe board. If time permits, I got a nice chunk of aluminum to make a column mount for the tach. I better get busy...

evilokc 02-11-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 8172807)
Now that's some work on those doors at one time, unique.
Mudman.

did the doors about 15 years ago. ive always enjoyed them. I think for a short time you would see this at car shows but ive never run into another suicide door driver.

mud.man.rj 02-11-2018 06:49 PM

Can see why on trucks, usually all about the doors on a classic car, nice to see on a truck.
Mudman.

OrrieG 02-11-2018 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scored some 59 Fleetside spear trim pieces, just the ends. Does anyone know if the straight trim pieces with the curve on the front ends is unique to the fleetside, or possibly used from another GM product?

Softpatch 02-13-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 8185384)
Scored some 59 Fleetside spear trim pieces, just the ends. Does anyone know if the straight trim pieces with the curve on the front ends is unique to the fleetside, or possibly used from another GM product?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1518396254
I don't know what that is But I know I like it
Probably get your answer for "Chevy's of the 50's"
............Sp

Black_Sheep 02-18-2018 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put spacers between the frame and the brake pedal mount to center the brake pedal in the hole through the toe board. Once that was done, I trimmed the pushrod between the pedal and booster and adjusted the pedal height so it won't bump off the toe board when I let off the brakes. Minor detail, but it was something I felt was very annoying. Now I can figure out where the stop light switch should go and get that in.

I also tried to fire it up, but no joy. After adding a few gallons of fuel it popped right off, all systems are go...