The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

57taskforce 02-10-2021 01:35 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve been messing with this 3306 cat for a week or so on and off. I did a full rebuild with all new consumables on it 3-4 years ago and it sat for a year or so before we sent it to the field. Once there it ran great but started loosing oil pressure after a few weeks. We ran it an entire summer before the pressure got low enough we couldn’t run it anymore. I had 2 spares at the time so we swapped another one on and it’s been fine. We used the other spare up right after Christmas so it was time to tear back into this one... I pulled it a good ways down leaving only the head, complete valve train, and rotating assembly in the block. Turns out the oil pressure relief on the then new oil pump was never torqued down at the factory. The bolt backed as far out as the pump housing would permit. Bearings and internals still look brand new. Slapped a reman cat pump in it and start sealing her back up. Just glad it was something simple. Sucky part is that’s just one more part im going to have to inspect going forward. Here it is ready to come off my engine stand. Pardon the mess below. You never can get all the oil out before you pull the pan.

1976gmc20 02-10-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8877869)
I paid my taxes. Ouch. I need a write off. :waah:

I sent one batch of stuff off to the accountant Monday after waiting a week after the end of January for everything to come in, then the next day another 1099 comes in :devil: Screw it, I had the number - let's see if the CPA complains.

davischevy 02-10-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8877874)
I’ve been messing with this 3306 cat for a week or so on and off. .

That's quite and engine stand. How did you get into diesel repair Tyler?

57taskforce 02-10-2021 12:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8877986)
That's quite and engine stand. How did you get into diesel repair Tyler?

I do it all. I had the fab shop build that stand 3-4 years ago. Has an 60:1 gear box on it that’s rated for 5 or 6000lbs. Note the oil tank up top. I’ve got a pump below that runs on 12v that I use to prime the galley at 15-20 psi on some of the builds. More and more it seems like I’m the guy that always gets sent to the stuff no one else can figure out or knows how to do. Job security.

I’m getting ready to go fix a water truck as we speak. That particular 06 is actually a t/a natural gas, about 200 hp at sea level. I do most of the more invasive in-house heavy diesel work on our water trucks, rig up trucks, backhoes etc. we have a parts changer truck mechanic that does the maintenance related stuff. I do all the other major engine work that we don’t feel like farming out.

Progress from yesterday afternoon

1976gmc20 02-10-2021 12:30 PM

I was into my Cat engine a couple times. It had the notorious 2-piece piston failure and the first time I tried to save money and didn't replace the other three :rolleyes: Both times were out in the woods of course. Second time late in the fall and it was raining. I rigged a tarp over the rack and brush guards, and had my fiance' out there greasing and handing me new bearings while I laid on my back in the mud.

Then later I worked for some folks in the winter doing carpentry and mechanic work, and he had me do a ring and bearing job on one of their D-2s. At least that was in a shop with a wood stove and a log beam to winch the head off and on. But those big cast iron oil pans and the transverse spring are still the worst part.

Don't know if you know this but those old four banger diesels if you didn't change the sleeves the pistons had to go in from the bottom because the rod journal is bigger than the bore! I had to have somebody stick a screwdriver in the wrist pin when it came up and then I crawled out and put on the rings and compressor and tapped it back down into the bore. Fun, fun! :)

These days I do most of my mechanic work with a check and a pen ;)

allchevy58 02-11-2021 11:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just finished replacing propane heater in the shop with a used oil furnace. Fired it up tonight, works great.

72c20customcamper 02-12-2021 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up the rear for my Dodge. I bought it just outside of Wilkes-Barre PA about a five hour round trip . Everything I found around here that was in good shape came at a minimum of 1200. Bought this one for $600 came out of a 70k mile southern truck that got nailed on 81 last fall. Looks like it just had a brake job too . Super clean outside and inside. I also bought some interior items from the donor truck for my truck .

Side note I think the alternator on my Envoy is on it's way out . Volt meter was jumping around and the dash lights were flickering between dim and bright

LockDoc 02-13-2021 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8878895)
Picked up the rear for my Dodge. I bought it just outside of Wilkes-Barre PA about a five hour round trip . Everything I found around here that was in good shape came at a minimum of 1200. Bought this one for $600 came out of a 70k mile southern truck that got nailed on 81 last fall. Looks like it just had a brake job too . Super clean outside and inside. I also bought some interior items from the donor truck for my truck .

Side note I think the alternator on my Envoy is on it's way out . Volt meter was jumping around and the dash lights were flickering between dim and bright

Wifes '05 Buick Rainier was doing that. I took the battery cables off and cleaned them good, tightened them back up and it cured it. Worth a try.

LockDoc

72c20customcamper 02-13-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8879302)
Wifes '05 Buick Rainier was doing that. I took the battery cables off and cleaned them good, tightened them back up and it cured it. Worth a try.

LockDoc

I'll give it a try .

1976gmc20 02-13-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

LockDoc

Back in the old days about 75% of battery/electric problems were corroded battery cables and loose v-belts.

I don't know how many I cleaned and tightened when I worked at the service station. It was often for free for the folks who bought gas there all the time.

Andy4639 02-13-2021 03:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Doing brakes & bushings on customer golf cart. If you want to go fast you have to stop even faster.

Golf cart brakes, bushings and labor $325.00.
New shoes are $26.00 each x 4
New hub's $49.00 each
Bushing kits $24.00 for both.
Total in parts = $226.00
$99.00 labor for about 6 hrs work. That's $16.00 hr labor.

I love working on these!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

:chevy:

72c20customcamper 02-13-2021 05:13 PM

Picked up 200 ft of CDL blue tubing to run my maple taps to a 150 gallon tank . Just from the 6 big sugar maples I tap ,about 35 trees now

57taskforce 02-13-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8877997)
I was into my Cat engine a couple times. It had the notorious 2-piece piston failure and the first time I tried to save money and didn't replace the other three :rolleyes: Both times were out in the woods of course. Second time late in the fall and it was raining. I rigged a tarp over the rack and brush guards, and had my fiance' out there greasing and handing me new bearings while I laid on my back in the mud.

Then later I worked for some folks in the winter doing carpentry and mechanic work, and he had me do a ring and bearing job on one of their D-2s. At least that was in a shop with a wood stove and a log beam to winch the head off and on. But those big cast iron oil pans and the transverse spring are still the worst part.

Don't know if you know this but those old four banger diesels if you didn't change the sleeves the pistons had to go in from the bottom because the rod journal is bigger than the bore! I had to have somebody stick a screwdriver in the wrist pin when it came up and then I crawled out and put on the rings and compressor and tapped it back down into the bore. Fun, fun! :)

These days I do most of my mechanic work with a check and a pen ;)

I feel for you, Few things suck more than having to do them in frame, even in a shop it sucks. I’m sure having to stab the pistons from the bottom and not kill the new rings or mar the rod or crank journals is a lot of headache. I’ve never had the pleasure of knocking them in from the bottom. (Insert that’s what she said joke here:lol:)

72c20customcamper 02-13-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

LockDoc

Not the problem cleaned everything . Think the internal regulatory is going I hooked up my fluke meter at startup its 12.4 volt then jumps to 14.2 and just jumps around going from 12 to 16 volts . Battery is at 12.9 at rest ,time for a new alternator. Buying a new Acdelco not a rebuilt

1976gmc20 02-13-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8879655)
I feel for you, Few things suck more than having to do them in frame, even in a shop it sucks. I’m sure having to stab the pistons from the bottom and not kill the new rings or mar the rod or crank journals is a lot of headache. I’ve never had the pleasure of knocking them in from the bottom. (Insert that’s what she said joke here:lol:)

You have to leave the rings off until you get the piston poked up above the bore. That's why you need a second person to catch them and stick a screwdriver or something into the hollow wrist pin to hold it up.

Those ole four banger blocks were huge, though. Lots of room beside the crank, though you had to turn the rod journal to one side for each cylinder.

I heard some old guys compressed the rings from the bottom but seems too hard for me.

LONGHAIR 02-13-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8877792)
I took the training class to renew my CCW permit. Good for another 5 years...

You have to take a class for that? I renewed mine in the summer of '18, nothing but fill out a few papers, a new photo, and of course some $$$

1976gmc20 02-13-2021 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGHAIR (Post 8879687)
You have to take a class for that? I renewed mine in the summer of '18, nothing but fill out a few papers, a new photo, and of course some $$$

Looks like we're (finally) going to get "constitutional carry" in Montana :)

davischevy 02-13-2021 07:23 PM

My CC renews in August. Arkansas charges $52.50 for a 5 year permit, and we have to take a 1-2 hour class.

57taskforce 02-13-2021 07:27 PM

We have to take a class and shoot to get be permit and renew...

72c20customcamper 02-13-2021 08:15 PM

Wow ,NY carry is lifetime no renewal my hr218 I have to qualify every year my 218 is a federal I can have a sidearm In every state and possession of the US

Boog 02-13-2021 08:48 PM

I never did get around to doing the permit thing.;)

Sure does vary by state doesn't it.

57taskforce 02-13-2021 08:53 PM

Nice thing about here is that your car is considered an extension of your home so you don’t have to have a permit to carry concealed in your vehicle. I still have one to carry most everywhere else though.

davischevy 02-13-2021 08:55 PM

Arkansas has a law that says you are not required to have a permit to CC if you are "on a journey".

That pretty much leaves it up to the situation and the officer.

Ol Blue K20 02-13-2021 09:32 PM

my California permit expired. Now I'm waiting for an appointment to requaulify. I've been waiting 6 months. Another reason to leave this god forsaken state!

1976gmc20 02-13-2021 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8879744)
I never did get around to doing the permit thing.;)

I mostly open carry.

But in the wintertime, well .... ;)