The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

cameo 07-18-2015 12:26 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

From a Canadian's point of view, that is a rust free cab for sure. I wish. My truck would have been done 20 years ago if mine was like that.

Dan in Pasadena 07-18-2015 10:03 PM

Thanks guys.

I really wondered if I would find problems in the inside steps, the headlight brows, etc. only one place was a surprise and I didn't get a picture of it. It's at the front of the passenger side door opening but it was repaired by torch in the past sometime. So even though it doesn't look all that good bare naked it was not visible under filler and I can tell the filler was very thin there. The ONLY place it was thin!

The story goes that the truck was made in the SoCal Van Nuys plant (did they really make trucks there?) and the original owner kept it til 1992 when he got too old to drive it anymore. I know I t sat til 2010 because it was not registered between '92 - '10. I bought it early in 2011 from the next owner who really did nothing to it, so I kinda/sorta feel like only the 2nd owner!

Dan in Pasadena 07-23-2015 08:42 PM

I went to The Car and Truck Shop today for cab corners. Stopped by the painter's to drop off them off and take a look at the primered cab. Looks great to me so far and I continue to be happy there is so little rust.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psnnpn2bdi.jpg

But it did turn out there were a couple very minor additional rust-through spots in the steps I'd not noticed before but nothing big enough to require replacement of the steps, whew! More like "bug holes":
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psf8jckbby.jpg

The one other bad spot I told you guys about but had no picture of before is shown here. Someone did a bad repair on it years ago with a torch and bondo'd over it. But all in all its better they cut out the rusted metal and welded in new - even if poorly done - than just cover the rust to continue eating metal underneath. This will get cut out and replaced with a much better patch.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psgbvmoizr.jpg

Advanced Design 07-23-2015 09:56 PM

Wow, very solid cab. Looks nice!

focusedontheprize 07-24-2015 09:48 AM

Cab looks great Dan. Looking forward to the progress!

_Ogre 07-24-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

But I think all this constitutes a nearly rust free truck in most parts of the country.
definitely! :D

here in se michigan that would be considered new old stock :D:D:D

Dan in Pasadena 07-24-2015 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 7252248)
here in se michigan that would be considered new old stock :D:D:D

EEK!:lol:

Have many of you guys dealt with rust through in the roof behind the gutter? Not so much in the "brow" - I know there's a lot of that.

I assume it's condensation between the outer cab roof skin and that 6" wide metal area all around the perimeter inside. It's not that humid here in SoCal but I kind of assume the glued on headliner and perimeter rubber piece keep what little condensation forms trapped, it rolls down the metal to the gutter area (inside) and the water mixed with dust makes "mud" that starts the rot process.

Dan in Pasadena 07-30-2015 10:05 PM

Stopped by the bodyshop today and they'd already cut out both cab corners and fabricated replacement metal for repair of the bottom of the kick panel. Turns out when the original owner repaired rot he cut out the outer corners but worded flat metal over the inner. It shows surface rust, borderline crusty but not rust-through. He will grind away these old patches and depending on what he sees will grind smooth and epoxy prime or cut out and replace.

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psdqoxranz.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...pszszj1z99.jpg

I discussed using a Fiberglas cover (ugh) over the hole-y firewall to save the hours of bodywork and the cost. He said he'd prefer if I let him do the body work on the metal and thought he could do it for about the same amount so I'm happy with that. I'd much rather have the original embossed firewall panels than a fully flat firewall.

Kim57 08-02-2015 07:14 AM

Coming along nicely.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 08-02-2015 03:11 PM

Thanks Kim!

Whatcha doing up at 4am? Lol

Dan in Pasadena 08-05-2015 08:41 PM

Ok, checked in on her today and went to drop off the glovebox, ashtray, heater and radio delete plates (I don't plan to use them, but want them to match eventual paint if needed) and the patch pieces for the extra:cuss: radio holes the original owner put in.

Found the firewall holes are nearly done being filled; much to my pleasure, and the poor original cab corner patches had been ground off to reveal rusted but not cancerous inner cab corners below. Painter has also cut out the cancer in the bottom of the kick panels and has fabricated the patches, though they're not welded in yet.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...pstj8dayqe.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psqthrmfkg.jpg
In this picture ^^^ can someone remind me what the bolt is that is below the hood hinge bolts? I should remember but admit I don't. He wanted to fill them but I couldn't tell him what they were for so I told him to hold off. L

Also, what, did you guys with smooth firewalls do where that sheet metal retainer that holds the original fiber "washer" - I guess it's called - that the parking brake rod goes through? Should I close it off or leave it? Tentatively was going to leave the original parking brake lever but maybe there's a better option that'll show less? What did you guys do with the two square nuts right in the middle on the driver's side of the firewall?

Kim57 08-06-2015 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7261356)
Thanks Kim!

Whatcha doing up at 4am? Lol

I'm in Bulgaria and there is a ten hour time difference.
Looking forward to getting back home.
Firewall is coming along nicely.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 08-06-2015 01:09 PM

Ah....Bulgaria.....a veritable hotbed of classic truck restorations, :lol:

Take care Kim, come back safely. and don't fly Malaysia Airlines (too soon?:mm:)

bowt1ed 08-06-2015 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dan,
Not sure if I remember what that hole was for, but I closed mine. Besides the hinge and battery bracket holes, and of course steering column, I closed them all (74, I think...). I will cut for a new firewall mounted booster/cylinder, so not worried about the two brace capture nuts right now. Here is what mine is like now. Haven't wiped or primed yet. Like many, wanted to leave the character lines of the firewall without all the holes. Cheers, Jim

Kim57 08-06-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7265552)
Ah....Bulgaria.....a veritable hotbed of classic truck restorations, :lol:

Take care Kim, come back safely. and don't fly Malaysia Airlines (too soon?:mm:)

We're flying Turkish Air.
Leave Saturday for home.
Kim

OrrieG 08-06-2015 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7264964)
In this picture ^^^ can someone remind me what the bolt is that is below the hood hinge bolts? I should remember but admit I don't. He wanted to fill them but I couldn't tell him what they were for so I told him to hold off. L

Also, what, did you guys with smooth firewalls do where that sheet metal retainer that holds the original fiber "washer" - I guess it's called - that the parking brake rod goes through? Should I close it off or leave it? Tentatively was going to leave the original parking brake lever but maybe there's a better option that'll show less? What did you guys do with the two square nuts right in the middle on the driver's side of the firewall?

1. Bolt below the hood hinge. I just had a hole there and filled it, haven't run into anything that bolts there.
2. I used a different ebrake set up so filled that one too.
3. I replaced the two square nuts, and any other bolts required to hold stuff on the inside (I think they are for the dash support above the column) with elevator bolts (see photo below) welded to the cab side of the fire wall.

I only kept the throttle hole, hinge battery tray and stock fire wall ground bolt, welded up the other 43 holes (1/8 - 1.5 diameter). I kept the factory ridges, did not want the total smooth look.

ChuckDriver 08-06-2015 08:39 PM

Dan,
I removed everything from my firewall except the hinge holes. I also filled the dimmer switch hole, moved it inside the cab, higher up on the floor, using a factory bead in the floor to center it on so the wiring lays in it. The square nuts also can off and I tacked the support from the inside to the firewall.

I also used the elevator bolts to replace the holes that the factory firewall cover was mounted with the push through fasteners.

Don't remember where I saw it but have seen the stock e-brake handle used with a Lokar cable.

You should also reworked the hole for the steering column while you're at it!

Good luck!

Dan in Pasadena 08-06-2015 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 7265759)
1. Bolt below the hood hinge. I just had a hole there and filled it, haven't run into anything that bolts there.

This seems to be the consensus, I'll just fill the holes.

Quote:

2. I used a different ebrake set up so filled that one too.
3. I replaced the two square nuts, and any other bolts required to hold stuff on the inside (I think they are for the dash support above the column) with elevator bolts (see photo below) welded to the cab side of the fire wall.

Can you tell me the size & thread of the elevator bolts, if you recall? So with the dash supports still in place I can simply substitute the elevator bolt for the existing bolts, THEN tack the edges of the flat head onto the firewall sheet metal and hack off the square nuts on the engine side?

Quote:

I only kept the throttle hole, hinge battery tray and stock fire wall ground bolt, welded up the other 43 holes (1/8 - 1.5 diameter). I kept the factory ridges, did not want the total smooth look.

Hmmm, where is the "stock fire wall ground bolt"? I'm planning to frame mount my battery. My throttle had three holes, well actually six because someone re-mounted it over 1/2" at some point. A hole for the rod and two bolt holes. He's fling them now and my throttle cable will come out of the cab lower then the firewall indent - I hope!

ChuckDriver 08-06-2015 09:33 PM

I think the "stock firewall ground bolt" is a nut welded to the floor on the inside to the right of the trans tunnel on the toe board.

I used it to ground the frame to cab and cab to engine.

ChuckDriver 08-06-2015 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here:

Dan in Pasadena 08-06-2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7265919)
Dan,
I removed everything from my firewall except the hinge holes. I also filled the dimmer switch hole, moved it inside the cab, higher up on the floor, using a factory bead in the floor to center it on so the wiring lays in it.

Ah, excellent idea. Why higher up? Just to align with this factory bead?

Quote:

I also used the elevator bolts to replace the holes that the factory firewall cover was mounted with the push through fasteners.

Hmmm, hadn't considered this. Not to be dumb but is the factory firewall cover even necessary if I apply Dynamat or Peel 'N Seal? I plan to carpet over that of course.

Quote:

Don't remember where I saw it but have seen the stock e-brake handle used with a Lokar cable.

Man, your memory is worse than mine. You can't remember this OR where you got your old rear leaf spring relocation kit? (Kidding!)

Quote:

You should also reworked the hole for the steering column while you're at it!

I will if necessary but WHY is it necessary? I don't know the final position of my column because I'm actually doing the cosmetic work before all the mechanical work is finalized. Yes, I know that's bass awkward. But the new ididit column is bound to go in the same "line" the factory one went through, right? I knew I'd have to make closure plates for around it, but again that will be covered with carpet. So why is reworking it necessary?

Quote:

Good luck!

Thanks JJ, means a lot coming from all you guys. Most people think guys like us have a slight mental problem. Nice to know there are guys who share my affliction and even appreciate it! Ha ha ha.

ChuckDriver 08-06-2015 10:07 PM

Yea, just wanted it up higher out of the way, and the bead was a good spot for the wiring.

No need for the pad bolts if you don't want the factory pad. Dynamat works well.

I filled the column hole so it looked better from the engine side.

Dan in Pasadena 08-06-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7266018)
...I filled the column hole so it looked better from the engine side.

Hadn't thought of that. Good point.

If I fill it entirely and then paint it I'll have to use a hole saw and it'll leave an unpainted edge. But I could use a stainless steel collar on both sides of the firewall and if polished it'll look good. Now, where to find such a collar?

ChuckDriver 08-07-2015 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked mine up from Juliano's Hot Rod Parts.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

Russell Ashley 08-07-2015 12:04 PM

"Don't remember where I saw it but have seen the stock e-brake handle used with a Lokar cable."
Might have been mine. I'm using my stock handle with Control Cable cables from front to back. I removed all of the original e-brake hardware, or at least what was left of it. The cables make a neater arrangement I think.

Dan in Pasadena 08-07-2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7266340)
Picked mine up from Juliano's Hot Rod Parts.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

JJ, That looks sharp, thank you. The link doesn't work though.

Did you weld the original hole fully shut then cut a new hole once you finalized its location? Cause that's what I'd have to do now and cover the raw edges with this nice collar.

Dan in Pasadena 08-07-2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 7266506)
"Don't remember where I saw it but have seen the stock e-brake handle used with a Lokar cable."
Might have been mine. I'm using my stock handle with Control Cable cables from front to back. I removed all of the original e-brake hardware, or at least what was left of it. The cables make a neater arrangement I think.

Russ,
Thanks. Any photos? Part numbers and how you adapted cables to the OEM handle and the routing you used?

ChuckDriver 08-07-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7266611)
JJ, That looks sharp, thank you. The link doesn't work though.

Did you weld the original hole fully shut then cut a new hole once you finalized its location? Cause that's what I'd have to do now and cover the raw edges with this nice collar.

Yes, I used the rounded edge of the mount to align with the stamped curve of the upper factory opening.

http://www.julianos.com/

Dan in Pasadena 08-07-2015 07:11 PM

I Today's update:

Passenger side kick panel repair is welded in an preliminary grinding done. Painter was taking a break when I showed up to drop off some Rust Bullet I had. He'll use it on the inner cab corners as they're not holed through, just have some surface rust. Anyway:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psldqbhtx6.jpg

Same corner but on the outside. Filler just applied and I was very pleased to see it is very thin and hasn't even been sanded yet.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...pslstuxkwa.jpg

I told him to weld shut the steering column hole, the stock parking brake rod hole, and to remove the square dash reinforcement nuts. I explained the elevator bolt replacement and took one of the bolts off so I'd know the size (5/16-18 Coarse). I stopped off at OSH but they didn't have elevator bolts. I'm wondering if Home Cheapo will or do I have to go to a specialty fastener place?

Once he does those additional things he told me he'll move to the rear of the cab where there's two 1/2" holes for an old antenna on the passenger side and a rough 1/2" gouge hole on the driver's side. Who knows what could have caused it. It's between the cab and bed so the bed had to be off the truck at some point. It's invisible from the inside because it happens to be right over one of the rib reinforcements on the back wall.

Kim57 08-09-2015 08:46 PM

Looking good.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 08-11-2015 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7266793)
Yes, I used the rounded edge of the mount to align with the stamped curve of the upper factory opening.

http://www.julianos.com/

Thanks JJ, excellent how-to tip. Assuming your height and mine aren't all that different (I'm 5'-10") that ought to work fine for me too as I'm putting in an ididit tilt column. Do you recall what length your column is? Mine's 32" I think.

Dan in Pasadena 08-14-2015 08:06 PM

A little update. Stopped by body shop and saw that they were sanding some filler applied to the firewall hole patches:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...pshcp6c19z.jpg

Also noticed they'd welded in and planished the repair metal for the gas filler hole I provided to them:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps2qzbqegs.jpg

Everything looking good so far. I'm going to be out of town next week so new photos will be a couple weeks in coming.

Kim57 08-15-2015 10:16 AM

Looks like they're making good progress.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 08-15-2015 04:37 PM

Yup, thanks Kim. I'm pleased.

There were two guys hand sanding the firewall when I got there. They stepped out of the way for the picture but got right back to it. Painter said he would re-primer it as soon as they got the sanding done.

rgunlock 08-15-2015 05:51 PM

Good to see that they are doing a fine job for you Dan!

Dan in Pasadena 08-17-2015 09:51 PM

Hmm, just posted a response and it disappeared into the ether, I guess!

Opinions please!

Painter told me he planned to spray the cab floor/firewall with a textured bedliner/noise reducer type product and I told him not to since I intend to apply Dynamat, Peel'n Seal or some such product. Now I'm re-thinking this. Is this a subject where if "a little is good, more is better"? Or is it a waste of effort (and likely money)?
PS: I DID agree to have him spray the underside of the cab floor with this product.

bowt1ed 08-18-2015 08:22 AM

Yeah Dan, I've been giving this the same consideration (actually posted it). My current thoughts are that the spray/roll on products (Lizard, Hippo, etc.) would only make the sheet metal more solid/sturdy, all while reducing noise and heat. Interested in hearing more thoughts on it. Cheers, Jim

ChuckDriver 08-18-2015 09:23 PM

I would have the underside sprayed, then do the Dynamat on the inside.

I'll get you the column length next week!

Dan in Pasadena 08-18-2015 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7278053)
I would have the underside sprayed, then do the Dynamat on the inside.

I'll get you the column length next week!

Thanks JJ,
I bought a new but never installed ididit column from Craigslist and now I'm wondering if I bought too soon? I THINK it's either a 31" or 32" and I know it matters for sure if it's a '57-'59 with their dished steering wheels, but is it quite so critical with the '55-'56 flat style steering wheel?

I've already told the painter to do the underside of the cab and not the interior. My thinking was the Dynamat (or whatever product I use) will adhere better directly to the metal than on top of a coating. Of course going without potentially saves me a few bucks so that's a plus. Anyone else have an opinion or experience?

dubie 08-19-2015 01:13 PM

Just from a painters perspective Dan, I would coat the bare metal in the cab and then adhere your Dynomat. Or kill 2 birds with 1 stone and do a coating of lizard skin ti kill the sound and coat the metal