The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

Hx16457 03-11-2013 09:42 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Finally finished rear end swap and got to drive her again!
Now I have vibration at 60mph! What tha!!!!!! I ran her after I had the drive shaft shortened and no vibration but now with the rear end swap! Tab-day flippen vibration anyone have any ideas???
Posted via Mobile Device

dantimdad 03-11-2013 09:54 PM

Check and see if the u bolts are tight enough. Also, did you change the fluid in the rear end? Finally, remove the wheels completely and put them back on.

I had a car with a wicked vibration. Took off the wheels to inspect a couple things and found nothing until I put the wheels back on and notice a little catch that very slightly kept it from seating all the way. A few licks with a rat tail file in the lug holes and it tightened up really well.

Steven

Trsmotrhed 03-11-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantimdad (Post 5941208)
Check and see if the u bolts are tight enough. Also, did you change the fluid in the rear end? Finally, remove the wheels completely and put them back on.

I had a car with a wicked vibration. Took off the wheels to inspect a couple things and found nothing until I put the wheels back on and notice a little catch that very slightly kept it from seating all the way. A few licks with a rat tail file in the lug holes and it tightened up really well.

Steven

Check your pinion angle. I had another truck I put a 9" under and thought I had the same angle as the old 12 bolt. A few shims and was perfect. Just an idea. Frustrating :sumo:when you make sure everything is perfect and BAM there's a problem. There's some
Forums that explain the vibration and if you need to go up or down. Hope you figure it out and let us know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

donthekawguy 03-11-2013 10:27 PM

I drove around town, stopped at the local hot rod restoration shop and had the body guy take a look at my fenders and bed. My starter has been a little slow lately so I thought today would be a good day to change it. I jacked the truck up and pulled the old one out. Looked kinda weird but off to the parts place. They don't have one to match and I had no idea what year my motor is so I drive home, get the numbers off the block and search. I find out what the motor is and go back to the store. They still don't have a match then I realize it's a high torque starter. Duh! Get the right starter and oil change stuff since the truck is in the air anyway. Find out I don't have the right bolts, back to the parts store, find out I need bigger wire connector thinggies, back to the store. Get everything on, change the oil and fire it up. No smoke, fire or sparks. No oil gushing out life is good. Grab the dog head down to the Jr. High do some doughnuts in the parking lot for the skaters and head home. Who woulda thought it would take 7 hours to change a starter and oil? :waah:

Hx16457 03-11-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Steven

Good idea I have to pull the tire on the driver side anyway because the brake is adjusted out too far, getting a little hot!
Thanks for the input!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hx16457 03-11-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trsmotrhed (Post 5941246)
Check your pinion angle. I had another truck I put a 9" under and thought I had the same angle as the old 12 bolt. A few shims and was perfect. Just an idea. Frustrating :sumo:when you make sure everything is perfect and BAM there's a problem. There's some
Forums that explain the vibration and if you need to go up or down. Hope you figure it out and let us know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay I guess I can google that "checking pinion angle"?
And what the heck can I shim?
You are 100% correct on it being frustrating! 100%!
Posted via Mobile Device

Trsmotrhed 03-11-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hx16457 (Post 5941387)
Posted via Mobile Device

Good luck. Keep us updated on what you find. Helps the next guy out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hx16457 03-11-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Steven

Oh yes I changed the oil and rechecked the u bolts too!
Sorry I forgot to answer those 2!
Posted via Mobile Device

Trsmotrhed 03-11-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Brothers, CPP make degree shims to put your yoke back at the right angle. The shims go between your trailing arms and axle pad to angle the rear end up or down. Pinion angle is a big discussion. Basically if the tranny is 3 degrees down the rear end need 3 degrees up from level ground. So if your truck has any rake that adds to the angle but still the same. Even if parked on a slope. Make sense?
Posted via Mobile Device

jayoldschool 03-11-2013 11:11 PM

Another quick thing to try is flipping the driveshaft 180 degrees from the way you have it mounted.

Hx16457 03-12-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trsmotrhed (Post 5941431)
Brothers, CPP make degree shims to put your yoke back at the right angle. The shims go between your trailing arms and axle pad to angle the rear end up or down. Pinion angle is a big discussion. Basically if the tranny is 3 degrees down the rear end need 3 degrees up from level ground. So if your truck has any rake that adds to the angle but still the same. Even if parked on a slope. Make sense?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep makes sense!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hx16457 03-12-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayoldschool (Post 5941457)
Another quick thing to try is flipping the driveshaft 180 degrees from the way you have it mounted.

Okay I can do that too! Thx
Posted via Mobile Device

66-PMD-GMC 03-12-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

If you have or haven"t found information on pinion angle for our trucks specifically, I can tell you that unless the suspension has been highly modified, chances are, pinion angle has not been affected enough to worry about. However. pinion angle, on our trucks, is adjusted by putting a shim between the axle and trailing arm. This is the cheapest and easiest way to do it.
And I see now that I have posted that others have told you that too...
:5150:

towersddg9 03-12-2013 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting close
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

CRGRS 66 03-12-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towersddg9 (Post 5942567)
Getting close

Looks awesome!!!!! Do you have a build thread? Oh, nevermind, found it.

GMR-PERFORMANCE 03-12-2013 05:51 PM

Did a great 2nd gear rolling burn out .. I am loving the great air here in the state of TX

63ChevC10 03-13-2013 12:58 AM

Finally got around to replacing the water pump today...well actually tonight after work. It's amazing how much quieter it is! The bearing in the old one was shot, but it wasn't leaking out of the weep hole yet. I swear these 6's are bullet proof!

LVPhotos 03-13-2013 06:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Paint shop! Extra side piece is for Daytona Blue spray out.

Blue_Aura 03-13-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LVPhotos (Post 5945292)
Paint shop! Extra side piece is for Daytona Blue spray out.

That's going to be one NICE 62. Keep up the great work.

Seeing the pics of the body work your are doing makes me a little sick, because last weekend I just bent the rail above the grill (the one in your last pic) and have to try to bend it back out as much as possible without damaging the existing paint.

mud.man.rj 03-13-2013 08:24 PM

I like the back rims too on the 62.

LVPhotos 03-13-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 5945484)
I like the back rims too on the 62.

Waiting for PorterBuilt crossmember install for the fronts 18x8 and 255/40 Nitto 555s.

Parts and powdercoat on list. Money money and more money. Plus just got a Dodge Cummings one ton 4x4. Only if Chevy had solid axle. Work better pickup.
Posted via Mobile Device

rideblue00 03-13-2013 09:19 PM

what did i do? nuthin :( I gotta get a move on! I always come here for some inspiration!

62 Barnfind 03-13-2013 09:31 PM

Painted my rear fenders and tailgate today. Getting closer to finishing this thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps372d33e9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps957247d2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps51e4026f.jpg

hemifalcon 03-13-2013 09:32 PM

Here's what I did today.. Gonna re-attach these tomorrow and work on getting the door mounted and the rocker panel fitted.. Should be really "fun".. I painted the inner parts of the door opening and the back sides of these parts.. (don't need photos of that though..)

Started with this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps5bc2d901.jpg

and here's it all solid once again..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psf3754411.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps3d346eea.jpg

Trsmotrhed 03-15-2013 11:04 PM

Fabricating A Template So I Can Build A Trac Bar Bracket After Installing Lowering Springs. Sorry For The Caps. Phone Updated And Freaking Out.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0ac2c880.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device