The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Frankentruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768503)

cwcarpenter98 02-14-2021 05:06 PM

Re: Frankentruck

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8880155)
Stay Well. Great work on your truck.

Thanks! I'm already ready to get back to working on it again

Johns 66 02-14-2021 07:12 PM

Praying for your recovery Christian

roll_the_dice 02-14-2021 07:18 PM

Sorry to hear that Christian! Godspeed my friend...you're young...you should be fine! Praying for you always anyway...but now more! :D

cwcarpenter98 02-14-2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8880223)
Praying for your recovery Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8880225)
Sorry to hear that Christian! Godspeed my friend...you're young...you should be fine! Praying for you always anyway...but now more! :D

Thanks guys! It seems like I've been getting a little better today, and might have even got some of my taste back. Hopefully it'll be getting better as this week goes on

cwcarpenter98 02-18-2021 11:52 PM

I feel a lot better today, and I was able to put in an 8 hour day for my internship. It's looking like I'll be able to head back to the office on Monday. Gotta work for those truck parts :lol:

88Stanger 02-19-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8882311)
I feel a lot better today, and I was able to put in an 8 hour day for my internship. It's looking like I'll be able to head back to the office on Monday. Gotta work for those truck parts :lol:

That is awesome to hear!!!! just take care of yourself first...

cwcarpenter98 02-25-2021 02:01 PM

It's been nice to be back in the office this week. I feel that I can focus on my work much easier and I don't have to do any work from home.

Unfortunately for me, the parts I ordered on the 14th are in a "severe weather delay"... All I can see is that they left Anaheim on the 16th. No clue what state they are in, or if they've gone up in flames in a wreck.

I had to ship them to my parent's home since that's where the zip on my card is. I don't want to go home to get Frankentruck until the parts show up, so it is what it is

Going junkyarding on Saturday because I don't want to sit in the house much at all this weekend. I'm kinda tired of it :lol:

cwcarpenter98 03-06-2021 09:11 PM

Guess what y'all! I got to hear that sweet, sweet sound of my 283 sbc this evening :metal:

Getter-Done 03-06-2021 09:18 PM

:metal:

Those 283's are smooth.
My 63 had a 283 when I bought it.

cwcarpenter98 03-06-2021 10:23 PM

Yes, they are. I'm glad I stuck with a 283. Not terrible on gas and still gets out of its own way pretty decent. I'll be keeping the 283 in this truck for a long, long time

cwcarpenter98 03-07-2021 08:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Awwww yes, Frankentruck is back in Milly :metal:

Also, my mom surprised me with one of Bill Elliott's RF tire. I think I'm going to turn it into an end table or something. Not gonna cut it up to do what I want to do though

roll_the_dice 03-07-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8890731)
Awwww yes, Frankentruck is back in Milly :metal:

Also, my mom surprised me with one of Bill Elliott's RF tire. I think I'm going to turn it into an end table or something. Not gonna cut it up to do what I want to do though

That's cool. Bill Elliott was always my favorite driver...

cwcarpenter98 03-07-2021 08:50 PM

Bill was before my time, but I am a fan of Chase. Hopefully I'll be able to go to the Atlanta race on the 21st

cwcarpenter98 03-11-2021 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to drive Frankentruck to my internship today. If I wasn't driving almost 100 miles a day, I would take Frankentruck more often, but that's too painful on my wallet right now :lol:

It's somewhat rare that I take a picture of the passenger side. The lovely primer job on the bed by the previous owner really bugs me some times

The Rocknrod 03-11-2021 02:35 PM

And I bet everyone there loved it.

roll_the_dice 03-11-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8892553)
I decided to drive Frankentruck to my internship today. If I wasn't driving almost 100 miles a day, I would take Frankentruck more often, but that's too painful on my wallet right now :lol:

It's somewhat rare that I take a picture of the passenger side. The lovely primer job on the bed by the previous owner really bugs me some times

What previous owners do/did always baffles me...I always ask was it the era that they repaired/fixed the problem and you do what you have to do mentality or were they too cheap to fix it right or too dumb to know better...Other than the white paint, which I don't mind, that is really the only thing left that the PO did on mine...just have to attack it one job/problem at a time.

Enjoy driving it...the weather is perfect right now!

cwcarpenter98 03-12-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8892567)
And I bet everyone there loved it.

They did! Several of my colleagues commented on how much work I still have left :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8892631)
What previous owners do/did always baffles me...I always ask was it the era that they repaired/fixed the problem and you do what you have to do mentality or were they too cheap to fix it right or too dumb to know better...Other than the white paint, which I don't mind, that is really the only thing left that the PO did on mine...just have to attack it one job/problem at a time.

Enjoy driving it...the weather is perfect right now!

For my truck, I'm thinking too cheap.

Tomorrow, Frankentruck and I are going on an adventure. I'll try to remember to take pictures

cwcarpenter98 03-13-2021 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to post this last night

cwcarpenter98 03-13-2021 04:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Adventure complete :metal:

Frankentruck did really well pulling a trailer today

roll_the_dice 03-13-2021 04:08 PM

That's an awfully good looking 9' foot bed you got in that trailer! :D

cwcarpenter98 03-13-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8893661)
That's an awfully good looking 9' foot bed you got in that trailer! :D

Yes, it is! Surprisingly solid, but beat up because of being a work truck

cwcarpenter98 03-18-2021 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got some daylight after work so that I could do a little work to Frankentruck before the C10 Club GA meet on Saturday.
A couple weekends ago, I went up to Southernparts' place and got the whole tour. His place is a 60-72 c10 haven! Thanks to him, I was able to get a heater control lever to replace the broken one on my truck. New knobs are looking good as well. It's so nice to finally have all 4 knobs there on the dash. Looks more complete.

No, the air lever doesn't even have a cable hooked up to it. Apparently, the previous owner swapped the standard levers for deluxe levers at some point in time. I'm glad he did though, because I have a valve connected to the heat lever. No more grabbing a piping hot, manual heater valve when I forget that it was on and I'm burning up inside the cab during the summer.... Can you tell I've done that multiple times now? :lol:

Bath time tomorrow after work and then Saturday morning will be the start of around a 260 mile trip :metal:

Johns 66 03-18-2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8893656)
Adventure complete :metal:

Frankentruck did really well pulling a trailer today

HMMMMM I bet I know where thats going...LOL

cwcarpenter98 03-20-2021 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8896329)
HMMMMM I bet I know where thats going...LOL

A good home and not a crusher. A win win! Too bad the rest of the truck was in such poor shape. If the roof hadn't been crushed, it would've been a great candidate for a patina driver or even restoration

cwcarpenter98 03-21-2021 12:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Aside from two issues with Frankentruck, today was great! Got to look at a ton of cool trucks, see some good friends I haven't seen in awhile, and source another patch panel to fix up Frankentruck's rust.

I'm not sure how many trucks were at the C10 Club GA meet, but it seems like somewhere close to 100. There was a great variety of original paint, great patina, and beautifully restored trucks. As the show was winding down, I was helping Woody (Southernparts) pack up some of the stuff he brought to sell. A guy said that he had a rough 60 that might still have some useable parts on it. We went to check it out and man, it was toast. Must have been wrecked and rolled over. I totally forgot to take a pic of the truck though. There wasn't much left, but I grabbed the radio delete plate, passenger door lock cylinder and cut the back half of the passenger fender off. The top flange where it bolts to the inner fender on Frankentruck is rusted out pretty bad, but this truck wasn't rusty in that spot. One of the few spots that wasn't rusty :lol: Now I've got a patch panel that I don't have to make myself!

If you've driven up or down 441 between Athens and Cleveland, then you might have seen the truck in the last picture. It's a 66. I believe a C30 because of how long the frame is. It has been sitting there for around 30+ years. Ran and drove when parked. Was parked because the tire was flat. It looks like the front sheet metal had been replaced with 60-61 pieces because of how the hood hinge springs mount and it had a 60-62 radiator and fan shroud. I wanted to buy some parts off it, but unfortunately the owner doesn't want to part it out. The cab might be useable, but the front sheet metal is pretty much toast. If I had a place to put it, I probably would have bought it!

The two issues: Overdrive fuse popped again on the way up. The overdrive started to engage, then the fuse blew and that was it. I threw in a new fuse before heading back home, and it popped just a few miles after I turned the overdrive back on. I might swap out the solenoid with the spare one I have and see if that's part of the problem.
The second issue is that the transmission is now popping out of third gear. It did it a couple times last weekend while pulling the trailer. Today, unloaded, it popped out on the way home 6 different times.