The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 57 Pro Street (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=283107)

Kim57 09-08-2012 11:49 PM

Re: My 57 Pro Street

Quote:

Originally Posted by spousta (Post 5582279)
Where did you get your hydraulic system from, I need to do something similar with my bed setup
Posted via Mobile Device

I got it from these guys.
http://www.hopposonline.com/
Saw them at the Pomona swap meet.
Real nice guys.
Kim

shadow1967 09-19-2012 08:11 PM

Kim,
Could I get a pic of the front drivers side, with the header on, shot down the frme rail to see the clearance between the flange and frame rail? And one shot stand over the front wheel looking toward the motor? i'm having clearance issues with the 2 pair I already have. I really don't want to buy 2 more. If this one didn't work.
Thanks,
Mike

Kim57 09-20-2012 12:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Mike
I've got the frame all apart for cleaning and painting right now.
I do have this one shot of the header on the drivers side.
I know it's not the best. I was checking steering shaft clearance.
The other is without the header but gives a little idea of the clearance.
I had decent clearance from the header flange to the frame on the drivers side.
I did have to notch the frame on the passenger side. I think they moved the tubes out to keep them away from the starter.
I centered my engine between the frame rails.
I hope it helps.
Kim

Kiowa317 09-22-2012 02:51 PM

Great truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Kim57 09-22-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiowa317 (Post 5606438)
Great truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for looking.
Kim

Chevette 09-22-2012 07:19 PM

Kim: When are you painting the frame and what coating are you going to use? Also, what color? I'm going with an epoxy primer and two part urethane top coat in semi-gloss black. Thought I'd make it look like late model factory.

Kim57 09-22-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevette (Post 5606861)
Kim: When are you painting the frame and what coating are you going to use? Also, what color? I'm going with an epoxy primer and two part urethane top coat in semi-gloss black. Thought I'd make it look like late model factory.

Right now I'm thinking of using Rustoleum primer and then the Rustoleum Hammered black top coat.
I think it will hide some of the imperfections in the frame and should be fairly durable and easy to touch up if I have to make any changes down the road.
Kim

Chevette 09-23-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 5607300)
Right now I'm thinking of using Rustoleum primer and then the Rustoleum Hammered black top coat.
I think it will hide some of the imperfections in the frame and should be fairly durable and easy to touch up if I have to make any changes down the road.
Kim

"Imperfections", in your frame? I don't think so.;) Anyway, I saw a hammer finish on a frame (I think it was on the internet somewhere) and it looked great.

sgtusmc 09-23-2012 12:08 AM

Great job Kim! Truck is looking great. I painted the wheels on my Tacoma with the black hammered Rustoleum a few years ago. No chips so far, and they get plenty of offroad time.

renegade8720 10-02-2012 06:38 PM

Kim,

Nice pro street!
What size flange bearings did you use for your pivot mount for the bed on your truck?

Renegade

mknittle 10-02-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 5607300)
Kim

I like the hammered black. I am thinking about painting my rally wheels as well as my frame.
I painted the stove hood in our kitchen hammered silver on the inside and black on the outside. that stuff is pretty tough!

Kim57 10-02-2012 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by renegade8720 (Post 5625532)
Kim,

Nice pro street!
What size flange bearings did you use for your pivot mount for the bed on your truck?

Renegade

Thanks for the compliment.
Here's a pic of the bearing. The hole the in it is 3/4"
Kim

Kim57 10-02-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5625793)
I like the hammered black. I am thinking about painting my rally wheels as well as my frame.
I painted the stove hood in our kitchen hammered silver on the inside and black on the outside. that stuff is pretty tough!

I've painted a couple of small parts and like the way it looks.
I haven't thought about it for my wheels though. I may have to try that.
Kim

mknittle 10-03-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 5625913)
Thanks for the compliment.
Here's a pic of the bearing. The hole the in it is 3/4"
Kim

I used a couple pillow block bearings that were mounted vertical with the same size bearing to make a speed reducer for my industrail sewing machine. Could be usefull to mount on top of a crossmember.

Chevette 10-16-2012 11:19 AM

I'm eagerly awaiting a great looking painted frame............................ Anything to report?;)

Kim57 10-16-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevette (Post 5650142)
I'm eagerly awaiting a great looking painted frame............................ Anything to report?;)

I finally got all the rust off and some metal prep on it to keep it from rusting again.
Now I just have to figure out how to hang the frame in the garage so I can paint it without to much trouble.
Kim

oldman3 10-16-2012 11:24 PM

With all the neat stuff you have made, I know hanging your frame is no problem...Jim

wutnxt 10-17-2012 09:51 PM

Truck is looking great......

Kim57 10-17-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5653315)
Truck is looking great......

Thanks.
Kim

Kim57 11-15-2012 03:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I finally made a little progress on the truck.
Got the frame cleaned then primed and the first coat of paint on it.
I used Rustoleum "Hammered Black" in a quart can which really looks like a very dark grey when it is applied.
This kind of annoyed me as I used a rattle can on some of the small parts and it is a little darker.
The other thing that is annoying is the window for a second coat. If you don't get it on in under 4 hours you need to wait 7 days because of the way this stuff dries.
It looks O.K. in the pics but definitely needs another coat.
Kim

Kim57 11-15-2012 03:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I also detailed the engine. I used some cast aluminum paint on the heads and block and a light blue metallic on the intake rocker covers and pan.
Kim

1Bad62Pro/Street 11-15-2012 03:48 PM

http://us.quebles.com/content/50136/1507119.GIF

hotrod1 11-15-2012 03:52 PM

Hey Kim:

That looks great! What paints did u use for the engine? Rattle can, make, and color?

I like the frame finish as well. Did it come out the way you expected it and would u do it again if given the chance to do it over? Make sure to give us close up pictures of the frame when the pain is complete.

Kim57 11-15-2012 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Bad62Pro/Street (Post 5704281)

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod1 (Post 5704288)
Hey Kim:

That looks great! What paints did u use for the engine? Rattle can, make, and color?

I like the frame finish as well. Did it come out the way you expected it and would u do it again if given the chance to do it over? Make sure to give us close up pictures of the frame when the pain is complete.

Thanks.
The paint is VHT rattle can engine enamel.
I used "Cast Aluminum" on the block and metallic "Titanium Silver Blue" on the intake covers and pan.
The frame for the most part looks the way I want it too.
I did some research on the net and ended up using a good bristle brush to apply it as it has to go on thick to get the hammered effect. I cleaned the brush constantly while applying it as it would start to dry and be kind of a pain.
You also have to constantly stir the paint or it separates fairly quickly and you can get a color difference.
As far as doing it again I'll let you know when I get the second coat on in a week or so.
Here's a close up of the frame. You can see it needs another coat.
Hope this helps.
Kim

hotrod1 11-15-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 5704337)
Thanks.

Thanks.
The paint is VHT rattle can engine enamel.
I used "Cast Aluminum" on the block and metallic "Titanium Silver Blue" on the intake covers and pan.
The frame for the most part looks the way I want it too.
I did some research on the net and ended up using a good bristle brush to apply it as it has to go on thick to get the hammered effect. I cleaned the brush constantly while applying it as it would start to dry and be kind of a pain.
You also have to constantly stir the paint or it separates fairly quickly and you can get a color difference.
As far as doing it again I'll let you know when I get the second coat on in a week or so.
Here's a close up of the frame. You can see it needs another coat.
Hope this helps.
Kim

Nice, thanks!