The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=397618)

BR3W CITY 12-23-2017 12:48 PM

Re: Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq

Them changes

BR3W CITY 05-20-2018 10:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I'm not dead, nor is my truck. Due to the photobucket changes, most of my updates have been coming via Instagram @Rev_J_HD since its the easiest and most direct way to put it out.

Since not everyone has time for my videos (even me sometimes :lol: ) I'm going to throw up some pics of various things, jumping backwards just a bit.

I had put the the bedsides and fenders on, as well as finished some touches on the frame. While I waited for other materials to show up, I went and stripped the peeling chrome off my indicator knobs, and brushed the aluminum that was underneath.

BR3W CITY 05-20-2018 10:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Since I didn't have the '66 fenders with the reverse lights (which is where I put the tail lights before)... I needed a solution for mounting the LED tails. I didn't want something obstructive and so I played with the idea of partially cutting it into the post of the bed.

The LED lights have a very shallow mounting depth, so flush mounting or partially frenching them into stuff is a bit easier. I ended up marking out the bed post as well as the light cup before making any cuts (the cuts are in the light cup fwiw).

Both cups were welded and after I hit the surface with JB weld so the whole are can be smoothed out and ease the work of the filler to follow.

BR3W CITY 05-20-2018 10:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After the JB weld was smoothed on both joints, they got hit with filler and shaped down again. Once the transition was even and didn't have and leftover bumps from the welds or the JB, it got hit with a coat of primer to seal the work until the rest of the bed is ready for paint.

aerotruk63 05-21-2018 07:34 AM

I like the tailight mod.

BR3W CITY 05-21-2018 09:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks Aerotruk.
I apologize if the pics jump around a bit, I'm trying to fit the updates into these 5-pic limit posts.

I needed a bed, and didn't want a wood bed or a traditional metal one either. I also need access to all the stuff under the bed (more on that later). So I started laying out aluminum channel to make a subfloor.

BR3W CITY 05-21-2018 09:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I also took the same approach for the rear subfloor as well. Laying out aluminum channel, then welding it to make the skeleton frame to size.
The floor is (at least) 2 pieces, so the front and rear are removable independently.

jchav62 05-22-2018 12:30 PM

Awesome work! I'm diggin' your tail light engineering there!

made2drag 05-22-2018 05:47 PM

Nice!

tinydb84 05-26-2018 07:23 PM

I like the aluminum frame....I should have done it that way...

BR3W CITY 05-27-2018 05:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After most of the fab on the aluminum sections was done, I picked up some support shocks and pivots so I could start to make the hatch I wanted.

BR3W CITY 05-27-2018 05:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Then I pulled them back out to paint the support frames, and so I could pattern the aluminum skin for the bed itself.

Hollow65 05-27-2018 05:27 PM

Really nice work!

BR3W CITY 05-29-2018 04:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Once I had the aluminum cut out for the skins, I could use a pneumatic rivet gun to actually skin the frames. There was definitely some small areas that had to be touched up by hand with a file, but for the most part it all fit together well.

BR3W CITY 05-29-2018 04:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I also added this little lift handle to make things easier, and cleaned up the pivot side, adding a thumb tab to the rod that the pivot uses.

BR3W CITY 06-01-2018 11:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Picked up a 1/4 turn pull latch to hold the bed floor down, but both lift and lock easily.

LostMy65 06-02-2018 12:08 AM

Your build is to me almost like: 'deja vu all over again' :cool:

aggie91 06-06-2018 12:49 PM

Nice work. I like the bed floor you did.

BR3W CITY 06-07-2018 09:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8273165)
Your build is to me almost like: 'deja vu all over again' :cool:

Just when I think I'm out...It pulls me right back in ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8276031)
Nice work. I like the bed floor you did.

:metal::metal:

Moved by attention back inside for a few, and took the cover off my Twister Shifter console. Its aged a bit and I need to do more modifications to it to accommodate other changes. Pulled the cover off, gave her a light sanding, and hit it with some textured black paint. You can also kinda see inside the shifter a bit for those who were curious about this less common auto shifter style.

BR3W CITY 06-09-2018 11:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I started to lay out a plate on my carbon sheet. This will become the switch mount panel for the nitrous stuff.

Came back to the shifter console and did all the lettering highlights in a matching blue, then hit the whole thing with a few coats of clear to give everything an even finish.

Captainfab 06-09-2018 11:59 PM

The shifter plate looks great.....it almost looks illuminated. What method did you use to get the blue into the engraving so perfectly?

BR3W CITY 06-10-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8278363)
The shifter plate looks great.....it almost looks illuminated. What method did you use to get the blue into the engraving so perfectly?

Thanks Cap. The paint I'm using is OneShots which is a sign painting/lettering paint, and then some various spraypaints. I did the black base on the cover, then hit it with a med/med-thin coat of clear and waited a day or so for it to harden. I took the OneShots and got it kinda cold so it thickened, then used a long thin lettering brush to do the letters. Quickly I came back with a rag coated in thinner and made a little pommel, and wiped away any extra paint that was on the surface. Then I cleared over the whole thing once it dried.

The OneShots is a very opaque, vibrant color, and against the black does look like it luminesces. (Also the camera was a little sweaty which probably adds to the look lol).

Captainfab 06-10-2018 11:56 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 8278569)
Thanks Cap. The paint I'm using is OneShots which is a sign painting/lettering paint, and then some various spraypaints. I did the black base on the cover, then hit it with a med/med-thin coat of clear and waited a day or so for it to harden. I took the OneShots and got it kinda cold so it thickened, then used a long thin lettering brush to do the letters. Quickly I came back with a rag coated in thinner and made a little pommel, and wiped away any extra paint that was on the surface. Then I cleared over the whole thing once it dried.

The OneShots is a very opaque, vibrant color, and against the black does look like it luminesces. (Also the camera was a little sweaty which probably adds to the look lol).

BR3W CITY 06-12-2018 10:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
No problem Cap (I've also got your P/S bracket on my list of build updates to add ;) )

Got a pile of stuff from the parts man this morning. Painted up my backing plates and could start to test fit the bottle mounting in the bed.

BR3W CITY 06-17-2018 12:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Made some adjustments to the Qa1's in the rear trying to dial travel vs ride height. I might still need to raise the springs a bit, but empty at this weight the new settings have improved the feel a lot.