The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   1965 LWB Stepside Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737785)

LostMy65 04-13-2021 10:42 PM

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8618375)
Thanks Christian...appreciate the pictures. I did a little research and I may go with 135 degree or straight plug boots instead of the 90's..like this.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1454620993

What wires did you end up going with so they didn't give you RF interference?

roll_the_dice 04-13-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8908080)

I ended up using MSD 31199. I bought them from Napa...they were a little cheaper than anyone else.

88Stanger 04-14-2021 10:11 AM

So as i mentioned earlier, i have the FiTech Power Adder EFI system that i tired some time ago and after a short run with it, i moved over to a full blown out LS motor (This is in my 1969 C10). But, after reading your posts and a few others, i think that i am going to go with the Holly 4150 EFI kit. Few reasons are customer service and working knowledge of the company, ease of use and maintenance, looks and well if i am going to do this i want to install a spot in the customer center console to store the little computer interface module so i can see the parameter of what is going on at any time. I only want to do this once, and the Fitech and Holly units are not the same. So, God willing my Harley sells this Friday (hate it but due to past back and neck issues, it must go) i will have the extra funds to just buy the unit. I have the EFI pump in the tank already, so..... Fuel regulator and off i go.... LOL

roll_the_dice 04-14-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8908080)

I forgot to ask...are you having RF or other issues with your FiTech?

roll_the_dice 04-14-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8908259)
So as i mentioned earlier, i have the FiTech Power Adder EFI system that i tired some time ago and after a short run with it, i moved over to a full blown out LS motor (This is in my 1969 C10). But, after reading your posts and a few others, i think that i am going to go with the Holly 4150 EFI kit. Few reasons are customer service and working knowledge of the company, ease of use and maintenance, looks and well if i am going to do this i want to install a spot in the customer center console to store the little computer interface module so i can see the parameter of what is going on at any time. I only want to do this once, and the Fitech and Holly units are not the same. So, God willing my Harley sells this Friday (hate it but due to past back and neck issues, it must go) i will have the extra funds to just buy the unit. I have the EFI pump in the tank already, so..... Fuel regulator and off i go.... LOL

I feel you! I hated pulling the Fitech. I had high hopes and it would never run right on my truck. In hindsight, if I ever (when) I put a new or rebuilt engine in another vehicle, I won't buy the EFI until I am ready to fire it up. My warranty wa up before I ever turned the key. There should be a built in hour counter or something that they can tell when it was used for the first time or how many hours it has on the unit for warranty issues.

I really like the Holley. It fires up every time without pumping the gas. The IAC is steady in the range it should be in 2-10%. I like the handheld on the Holley better too. I am thinking of making a holder for it that will fold under the dash and I can fold it down when I want to with a hinge or something or put it in an ashtray... I didn't trust the Fitech so I always have the handheld out, I am ready for the day I don't really need to look at it. I am getting close!

I thought about putting a carb on the truck, but since I had run the fuel lines and had an in tank fuel pump, I just bit the bullet and went with the Holley...I am glad I did!

Is your Fitech still under warranty?

LostMy65 04-14-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8908280)
I forgot to ask...are you having RF or other issues with your FiTech?

Not that I know of. I just wanted to know what wires you went with so when I need new wires what to look for so I don't have issues.

Thanks

I really haven't had an issues with my fitech, but if I was to purchase again, I wouldn't buy fitech. They have let too many people down.

roll_the_dice 04-14-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8908306)
Not that I know of. I just wanted to know what wires you went with so when I need new wires what to look for so I don't have issues.

Thanks

Good...glad you aren't having issues! I will let you know the long term reliability of the wires too. So far so good though.

88Stanger 04-14-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8908304)
I feel you! I hated pulling the Fitech. I had high hopes and it would never run right on my truck. In hindsight, if I ever (when) I put a new or rebuilt engine in another vehicle, I won't buy the EFI until I am ready to fire it up. My warranty wa up before I ever turned the key. There should be a built in hour counter or something that they can tell when it was used for the first time or how many hours it has on the unit for warranty issues.

I really like the Holley. It fires up every time without pumping the gas. The IAC is steady in the range it should be in 2-10%. I like the handheld on the Holley better too. I am thinking of making a holder for it that will fold under the dash and I can fold it down when I want to with a hinge or something or put it in an ashtray... I didn't trust the Fitech so I always have the handheld out, I am ready for the day I don't really need to look at it. I am getting close!

I thought about putting a carb on the truck, but since I had run the fuel lines and had an in tank fuel pump, I just bit the bullet and went with the Holley...I am glad I did!

Is your Fitech still under warranty?

Oh heck no it is not. LOL I bought it about 3 years ago. I was going to use it on a different motor in my 1969 C10, but long story short, i converted to an LS with full Injection, so this was on the shelf... sitting. When it was running on the truck for a week, it was not right, but i never tinkered with it alot out of frustration and other things, almost went to Carb, then my dumb butt decided to go with LS, lol. Love the LS platform, but the 1966 is old school, full roller cam, aluminum heads, 383 stroker motor with Muncie 4-speed, but i want EFI and so, if things work out and God willing my Harley sells, i will be getting the Holly EFI 4150, it is the one that looks like an old holly carb. I like the look and it will accept adders.... HE HE

roll_the_dice 04-19-2021 03:25 PM

Looks like my valve covers made the manufacturers facebook page... :)

https://www.facebook.com/pmlyourcove...type=3&theater

damnyankee36 04-19-2021 06:47 PM

Well, that's cool!

Johns 66 04-19-2021 09:24 PM

So Glad its running smoothly now.......Pretty cool they posted your engine bay.....AWESOME

roll_the_dice 04-21-2021 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8910733)
So Glad its running smoothly now.......Pretty cool they posted your engine bay.....AWESOME

Thanks John! We need to catch up soon!

I also made PML Valve Covers install page on their website...I am excited...:chevy::metal:

roll_the_dice 04-26-2021 08:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I finally found a wire loom that would sort of work. I had to fabricate a bracket, but I used the main part of the loom. It is exactly how I wanted and no more burned plug wires!

roll_the_dice 04-29-2021 01:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK so when are "done" with your truck you start doing things you wanted to do, but needed to get it running right first...so you install an original dash clock...and it works! Of course I forgot to set it after I installed it! DOH! The hardest part was drilling into the dash!

Thanks again to John for finding and sending me this gorgeous clock! I love it!

SCOTI 04-29-2021 03:39 PM

Do those center a/c vents just blow straight forward or can the direction be manipulated? It might be just the angle of that above pic but they look like they're fixed position.

roll_the_dice 04-29-2021 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8914955)
Do those center a/c vents just blow straight forward or can the direction be manipulated? It might be just the angle of that above pic but they look like they're fixed position.

Must be the angle...they rotate 360 degrees in all directions. Here is another pic.

SCOTI 04-29-2021 06:50 PM

Nice. It was just the angle of the image (along w/the fact they were flush w/the socket/housing @ the time).

roll_the_dice 04-30-2021 06:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally installed the decal I got from Jimmy (PGSigns). Great looking decal!

88Stanger 05-01-2021 09:21 AM

awesome... lol

roll_the_dice 05-01-2021 09:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
We did our first car show today since the truck has been back on the road. Had a great time, met lots of new friends. Had about 170 cars/trucks there. Then this evening we took the truck to the local Chevy dealer and snapped a few photos....great day all the way around!

roll_the_dice 05-01-2021 09:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More...

roll_the_dice 05-20-2021 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought a new wheel for my spare tire...US Wheel Series 68. I think I can drill it and tap the holes and put my rally wheel center caps on this wheel. I think it is going to look good...15x8" so an inch wider than current wheels..and I bought a 1.5" beauty ring. I need to paint it gunmetal gray also.

350TacoZilla 05-21-2021 10:30 PM

Shoot man I thought you had 15x8 rally wheels on the truck already. I have an odd number of 15" rallies off a 80's van I thought were 15x7 and they look narrow in comparison so figured yours had to be 8". I might have to measure mine and see if they are even skinnier.

roll_the_dice 05-21-2021 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla (Post 8923412)
Shoot man I thought you had 15x8 rally wheels on the truck already. I have an odd number of 15" rallies off a 80's van I thought were 15x7 and they look narrow in comparison so figured yours had to be 8". I might have to measure mine and see if they are even skinnier.

Unfortunately not...15x7...if yours are skinnier maybe they are 15x6? I really like the 15x8" I just got...I received the 1.5" trim ring today. I like how it looks on them. Makes the wheel look wider. Trying to decide what color to paint/powder coat them...gun metal gray or something else.

SCOTI 05-22-2021 12:53 AM

5 & 6-lugTruck Ralley wheels were available in 7 & 8" widths. Aftermarket has even more. Van Ralley wheels were 6.5" wide.