The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

jbclassix 03-06-2012 12:05 AM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

I've been watching all the guys on here who are shortening beds, studying how they blend in the body curves where they removed the sections... Its gonna be cool to see this bed go the OTHER way! Are you gonna weld the factory longhorn seams?

mcbassin 03-06-2012 12:14 AM

Looks like some great progress on the Longhorn Ryan. Glad to see your's is coming togther.

ryanroo 03-06-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 5233320)
Are you gonna weld the factory longhorn seams?

i was curious about this as well. personally i think leave it. its part of the longhorn thing

Dieselwrencher 03-06-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 5233320)
I've been watching all the guys on here who are shortening beds, studying how they blend in the body curves where they removed the sections... Its gonna be cool to see this bed go the OTHER way! Are you gonna weld the factory longhorn seams?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5233453)
i was curious about this as well. personally i think leave it. its part of the longhorn thing

I thought about welding it and smoothing it out. But I want it to look some what original. Most people probably wouldn't catch it beeing a Longhorn with out the seem. I like it there too. My luck, I'd weld it and that area would be the only place that body work would crack or I'd get hit there first. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 03-06-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5233349)
Looks like some great progress on the Longhorn Ryan. Glad to see your's is coming togther.

Thanks Mike. It is slow going. How ever, I am working on the engine while I sleep. So maybe by the week's end I'll have it close to beeing ready to drop in.

72BlckButy 03-07-2012 10:23 AM

Nice progress Ryan.

How's the little one doing?

Dieselwrencher 03-07-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5236156)
Nice progress Ryan.

How's the little one doing?

Thanks Nate. She's doing great! Almost walking, chatting away, and into everything. She's giving her mom a work out. :lol: Her little brother will be born soon...........................:mm:

72BlckButy 03-07-2012 09:40 PM

You're kidding??? Congrats buddy!!

We just passed the big 1st b-day and man was it a blast. :D

mknittle 03-08-2012 11:50 AM

To delete the vacuum pumps can I pull the pumps and pushrods and make cover plates?

Dieselwrencher 03-08-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5237388)
You're kidding??? Congrats buddy!!

We just passed the big 1st b-day and man was it a blast. :D

Congrats Nate! Izzy's 1st was Jan 21. It was a blast for sure. :lol: Little bro's due date is April 14th, but the docs think it will be end of March. Maybe sooner, maybe later. They aren't sure. Imagine that. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 03-08-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5238463)
To delete the vacuum pumps can I pull the pumps and pushrods and make cover plates?

On the first gen vacuum pumps, yes you can. I did that on my corvette. I used the vacuum pump to drive the PS pump so I could run hydraboost brakes.

mknittle 03-08-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5238909)
On the first gen vacuum pumps, yes you can. I did that on my corvette. I used the vacuum pump to drive the PS pump so I could run hydraboost brakes.

Thanks Ryan,That's what I want to do.If I take them off it will be easy to move the enging back.

Dieselwrencher 03-08-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5239125)
Thanks Ryan,That's what I want to do.If I take them off it will be easy to move the enging back.

You can get the newer style vacuum pump set up and then you won't have to go without a vac pump. 92-98 should be same vac pump. PS pumps, there are 2 different styles. A tear drop shape housing, and a round. Then there is a 1 return and a 2 return for hydra boost set ups.

mknittle 03-08-2012 09:04 PM

Thanks Ryan, that's good to know.i want to use a hydra boost I really like the one I used on my 42 jeep. clears the buick V 6 and has lots of power with a good solid feel.
a vacuum pump may be a good idea for the AC. Its sort of design by the seat of the pants.LOL
Gotta go to a bonsai club meeting Mark

Dieselwrencher 03-19-2012 03:41 PM

This weekend in between some other projects, I had some help and managed to get some box sides bolted on! Now I'll have to decide if the LH box side is going to be used. I think the one from my original bed is nicer. So we'll see. This metal floor swap isn't going to be as bad as I thought it was going to be!

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00572.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00573.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00576.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00580.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00579.jpg

Sorry about the mess. We've been cleaning up out side since it's been so nice and now it's supposed to rain all week so we had to shuffle stuff around the storage truck. :lol:

Here is the new phase of this truck. I don't have a common rail engine any more, and I want to get into tuning on EFI live. My brother happened upon a sweet deal a few weeks ago and now I'm going to build a common rail and put it in the Longhorn. Here are some misc. pics.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00581.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00578.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00577.jpg

The thing in the plastic bags is my block. The turbo is a 76mm HT60 which will be my primary turbo in my compound turbos.

Right now I have most of the big pieces I need for it. Here's what I have for it right now.

05 Block with fresh hone and deck job.
12v crank
181/210 Hamilton cam
06 ECM
05 engine harness
05 CP3
05 injectors
04.5 donor engine for hard ware
12v connecting rods
4 good 05 pistons

What I'm lacking to get it together
Rings, and bearings
Gaskets and seals
2 05 pistons
100hp nozzles
Some misc wiring to get the engine running.

I plan on getting the stuff for it soon so I can try to get it running soon. I was going to buy new pistons for it, but the pistons I wanted were $1000. That's going to have to wait! :lol:

duallyjams 03-19-2012 06:49 PM

I can here the turbos spooling up and see the black smoke already :bann:

Dieselwrencher 03-19-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 5262072)
I can here the turbos spooling up and see the black smoke already :bann:

:metal: I'm going to try and keep it smoke free or close too it until the time comes! :lol:

FRENCHBLUE72 03-19-2012 07:35 PM

Hey ryan nice build Im not much into diesels but what is a common rail?

ryanroo 03-19-2012 10:25 PM

common rail refers to a pressurized fuel rail that is common to all injectors. the injectors are cycled by the computer instead of mechanically via fuel pressure. it has been the dodge system since 03. all current diesels run this type of injection now i believe, in light trucks anyhow.

so, you cutting me a good deal on the 24v with the p-pump swap? haha

ryan

1985-GMC 03-19-2012 10:26 PM

They're trouble that's what they are! lol EFI live should be fun!

Haha no in 03 the common rails came out, they use a CP3 injector pump in which one line fuels a "rail" then the computer controls when the injectors open instead of pressure like on the mechanical systems.

Lookin good ryan! When you cut out a piece of bed floor from a donor are you going to just get the front 15"s or so, so you only have to weld up one seam?

6lcummins 03-20-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5262652)
common rail refers to a pressurized fuel rail that is common to all injectors. the injectors are cycled by the computer instead of mechanically via fuel pressure. it has been the dodge system since 03. all current diesels run this type of injection now i believe, in light trucks anyhow.

ryan

Heavy duty on road diesels are "common rail" that I know of, Detroits might not be but we don't do much with newer ones.

6lcummins 03-20-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 5262654)

Haha no in 03 the common rails came out, they use a CP3 injector pump in which one line fuels a "rail" then the computer controls when the injectors open instead of pressure like on the mechanical systems.

Lookin good ryan! When you cut out a piece of bed floor from a donor are you going to just get the front 15"s or so, so you only have to weld up one seam?

They are the DEBIL!!! But it's a debil we must embrace and test the limits of the dual disc in the truck and see what happens.

watahyahknow 03-20-2012 02:32 AM

havent read a lot about aftermarked ecu's for them other than a re chipping the original computer , it would be nice to see a megasuirt setup working on a diesel

Dieselwrencher 03-20-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5262652)

ryan

It all depends what you consider a good deal. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 03-20-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 5262654)

You're right on the money except there is no injection pump. Just a lift pump and a high pressure pump. :lol:

On the box I have a bed floor patch panel I'm going to use and section it in. I had a hard enough time finding this steel floor so finding a second may take a while. :lol: