The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627134)

reaper71 04-22-2016 09:17 AM

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

DANG Deep Pockets ;)

Congrats Doug, Enjoy!!

Mark...

Coach529 04-22-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by advanced design (Post 7569043)
this showed up this week. Maybe after a few hundred hours of practice i can weld my own exhaust...maybe.

very nice!!

Advanced Design 04-22-2016 10:48 PM

Thanks Mark, just a regular Bill Gates here...:)

Thanks Coach!

Wanted one for 10 years and decided it was time.

65sub 04-23-2016 09:22 PM

New tools. Always cool. :metal:

youngrodder 04-23-2016 10:12 PM

Jealous.....

Iplumb 04-24-2016 09:12 AM

Very nice welder! Now the fun part gets to start
Mike

Drifters 04-24-2016 11:12 AM

That's a nice unit Doug remember to use you good eye when operating this piece of equipment! Lol... Congrats Ron

Advanced Design 04-24-2016 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7570964)
New tools. Always cool. :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7571034)
Jealous.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iplumb (Post 7571320)
Very nice welder! Now the fun part gets to start
Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drifters (Post 7571446)
That's a nice unit Doug remember to use you good eye when operating this piece of equipment! Lol... Congrats Ron

Thanks guys, it should be a nice unit. Just need a bunch of practice.

Oh yeah, the brakes came in...12 inch rotors, integrated rear parking and 4 piston calipers.

Advanced Design 04-24-2016 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like many of my hot rod parts, I ordered these through Rutters Rod Shop. Bob and Pat are great people and use what they sell in their numerous customer build projects.

Plus Mike, their sales representative, has been in the business a long time, has a ton of contacts from working for Heidts for years and understands what works and what doesn't. He will steer you right and provide great customer service.

Unfortunately, the master cylinder lid was scratched out of the box. I sent Mike an email on a Friday night just to let him know the parts arrived and mentioned as an aside the lid was scratched.

He responded right away and handled the issue with Wilwood. A few days later the new lid arrived.

These builds are hard to do. Receiving great customer support from a company like Rutters Rod Shop removes a bunch of hassle in getting the build done. I can't say enough good about them.

Possmguts 04-24-2016 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh you're gonna LOVE that integrated disk set up... so easy to install and clean looking...

youngrodder 04-24-2016 10:06 PM

Looks good Doug. I still need to get my rear brakes figured out.

Marc

oldman3 04-24-2016 11:04 PM

Sweet looking brakes...Jim

lower50's 04-25-2016 08:10 PM

Yup nice parts for sure. Everyone needs hopes and dreams, nice welder.

Advanced Design 04-25-2016 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7571822)
Oh you're gonna LOVE that integrated disk set up... so easy to install and clean looking...

No doubt Possm, can't wait to get to the test install portion just to see how they work out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7572170)
Looks good Doug. I still need to get my rear brakes figured out.

Marc

Thanks Marc, for sure you will figure out something cool. I almost went with Kore3 and their Corvette set up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7572244)
Sweet looking brakes...Jim

Thanks Jim, probably more than needed on this Burb. And for once I went for something kinda cool rather than practical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7573178)
Yup nice parts for sure. Everyone needs hopes and dreams, nice welder.

Thanks Lower, looking forward to trying the welder out....

So we are vacationing in Hanover PA visiting our daughter, son in law and granddaughters as we haven't seen them since last August.

Sitting at a stop light and this Corvette rumbled up beside me. Coolest part was the driver and passenger were up in their 70's or more and were grinning from ear to ear. Like they were trying to look cool and not smile, though you could see the sheer joy on their faces. Loved it!

Note the Moon eyes, Sunoco and Flowmaster stickers on the window.

youngrodder 04-25-2016 10:41 PM

Oh for pleasure. I thought you were in PA for work or something....
Have a nice time.

Marc

lower50's 04-26-2016 04:35 PM

SO cool maybe they bought it new? Have fun.

joedoh 04-26-2016 06:12 PM

I just realized the miller was a TIG. :doh:

nice buy! thats on my list!

RockinKees 04-27-2016 10:20 AM

Nice TIG machine, I've got one a few years, very handy!!

You've got some great stopping power, Doug, hope my brakes will perform half as good ;)

Great pic of the Corvette, you're never too old to keep smiling in a Hot Rod :metal:

Valarius_Starchaser 04-27-2016 11:14 AM

Love the welder I have only done TIG on aluminum a time or two and it wasn't pretty, good luck with your efforts!

Funny the first thing I noticed was the moon eyes

Iceburgh 05-01-2016 12:59 AM

Tell me more about the wildwood setup. I have seen many as of late but never see a booster?

Advanced Design 05-01-2016 08:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7573411)
Oh for pleasure. I thought you were in PA for work or something....
Have a nice time.

Marc

Thanks Marc, we had a great time with the kids. This was the second time we spent time with our 9 month old Granddaughter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7574082)
SO cool maybe they bought it new? Have fun.

They were old enough they could have...and looked like they were having a great time out cruising. Thanks Lowers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 7574162)
I just realized the miller was a TIG. :doh:

nice buy! thats on my list!

Thanks joedoh...so far I am impressed with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7574857)
Nice TIG machine, I've got one a few years, very handy!!

You've got some great stopping power, Doug, hope my brakes will perform half as good ;)

Great pic of the Corvette, you're never too old to keep smiling in a Hot Rod :metal:

The Tig will be pretty handy, once my skills develop enough. The brakes are maybe overkill...though should work well. It was a very nice Corvette.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser (Post 7574912)
Love the welder I have only done TIG on aluminum a time or two and it wasn't pretty, good luck with your efforts!

Funny the first thing I noticed was the moon eyes

Thanks Valarius, practicing yesterday and was improving rapidly. Still a long long way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceburgh (Post 7578447)
Tell me more about the wildwood setup. I have seen many as of late but never see a booster?

Iceburgh, the master is 1 1/8" bore and came with the brackets, lines and adjustable proportioning valve. The calipers are 4 piston, 12 inch rotors, brackets for MII front and 9" big bearing rear. Wilwood has very good detail for selecting the right parts on their website. No booster and I will have to find one somewhere.

Yesterday I spent some time getting the new TIG up and running. Once I figured out the adjustments it was really easy to use. High frequency start was really nice. Stable arc, easy to control and I was fusing metal with no filler rod.

Back on the Burb I figured out the 6 inch drop I ordered wasn't going to get me the working angles I needed, so I went back to the 3 inch drop. (And Marc said I don't make mistakes :)) Bringing the rear of the transmission up dialed in front working angle, rear working angle and they (front and rear) were 0.1 apart from each other. Good enough, and it will probably change with the bags in place. Not much, but some.

So, I did what I should have done in the first place was build a mount on the side of the frame rail. It is more solid than sitting on the bottom frame lip.

Still need to fill in a few weld areas...MIG was acting up and bird nesting wire, I had a brace that was too short...cut some more and it was still too short...time to call it.

Hopefully next week end I can finish up the few details on the mount and begin installing exhaust.

youngrodder 05-01-2016 09:51 PM

Funny...we were both working on the same areas of our suburban's this weekend. I too made a mistake that might make you feel better about yours. Go check out my build thread to hear the details....teaser alert...ha ha

Nice work tuning in the welder.

Out of curiosity what is the length of your driveshaft?

Marc

oldman3 05-01-2016 11:23 PM

Doug, looks great...Jim

lower50's 05-02-2016 09:30 AM

Having high frequency start is the cats a$$. Are you using the foot throttle peddle or a on/ off switch on the torch? I use the on/off I find it's easier to work around the shop. I'm having tig envy. ;)

Advanced Design 05-02-2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceburgh (Post 7578447)

Iceburgh, Here are the part numbers for what I ordered.
140-10440-B - kit for MII
140-9560 - kit for rear big Ford new style with parking brake
261-13270-BK - kit master cylinder and valve

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7579336)
Funny...we were both working on the same areas of our suburban's this weekend. I too made a mistake that might make you feel better about yours. Go check out my build thread to hear the details....teaser alert...ha ha

Nice work tuning in the welder.

Out of curiosity what is the length of your driveshaft?

Marc

Glad you caught it before welding in the parts for good! Me, I would notice that as I finished my last weld. The distance from the transmission output shaft seal to the u joint saddle base on the pinion is 57". And I moved my powertrain back about two inches into the firewall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7579457)
Doug, looks great...Jim

Thanks Jim. Thought about a nice radiused gusset under the plate and decided to go for strength instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7579782)
Having high frequency start is the cats a$$. Are you using the foot throttle peddle or a on/ off switch on the torch? I use the on/off I find it's easier to work around the shop. I'm having tig envy. ;)

Lowers, I am using the foot pedal. A control on the torch would be handy for out of position welding. You are right about the high frequency. Hold the tungsten where you want to start, step down on the foot pedal and arc starts. Like pointing a needle and welding. The cable is really light and the torch fits comfortably so it is easy to use. Now I need practice on my technique. I've always had problems with side to side wander and hand speed.

RockinKees 05-02-2016 06:48 PM

When I read your build and Marc's build I get more and more the feeling of you two should be sharing the same workshop :lol::lol:

Some small hick-ups, but the progress is good!! ;)

youngrodder 05-03-2016 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7580336)
When I read your build and Marc's build I get more and more the feeling of you two should be sharing the same workshop :lol::lol:

Some small hick-ups, but the progress is good!! ;)

I think I should bring mine to Doug and he can build them both.
My drive shaft measures 55 1/2" measure to the same areas you did.

Marc

RockinKees 05-04-2016 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7581887)
I think I should bring mine to Doug and he can build them both.

Marc

Haha, probably have to wait 20 years then ;)

Sorry Doug, little joke, you're doing a mighty fine job!!

Advanced Design 05-04-2016 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7582032)
Haha, probably have to wait 20 years then ;)

Sorry Doug, little joke, you're doing a mighty fine job!!

I was thinking the same thing...probably 20 years! :)

The nice thing about this forum is we are able to connect and share information, though we live far apart.

lower50's 05-04-2016 08:10 AM

I totally agree Doug. Connecting with other old truck lovers, helping, sharing. Everyone on this forum is so positive, love it.
Keep up the good work.

Advanced Design 05-08-2016 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7582107)
I totally agree Doug. Connecting with other old truck lovers, helping, sharing. Everyone on this forum is so positive, love it.
Keep up the good work.

Lower, you are so right. We can connect around the world and help or encourage each other. Kees in the Netherlands, you in Canada, Marc in Michigan. All good.

Speaking of connecting, we need to keep those folks impacted by the fires around Fort McHenry in our thoughts and prayers. Members here have lost all possessions. Check out the general discussion area if you haven't.

Lots of yard work with the wife between rain storms so only had a little shop time Sunday afternoon. Finished the trans crossmember mount and moved to notching the crossmember the drive shaft would hit when aired out.

Rummaged through neighbors collection and swapped for some large diameter pipe.

Advanced Design 05-08-2016 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Marked out the cut for the pipe notch. And yes, my plasma cutter is in a little red wagon. :)

Cut out the notch, threw the drive shaft back in then raised raised the rear to the bump stops to check clearance.

Advanced Design 05-08-2016 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The notch worked, the plasma sliced like going through butter, the pipe section fit and the welder burned in wire very smooth. This was all a rarely achieved zen like state....hmm...

Next week end should be back on the exhaust.

Valarius_Starchaser 05-08-2016 08:32 PM

Nice work Doug I too find a rare occasion where all of my efforts go well and smooth but when they do they sure do work

I agree with your words on the fires my Fiancé has family from there who is directly impacted and are currently displaced and have no idea if their home is gone. It makes you think of how fragile and fleating a lot of our "prized possessions" for now all we can do is pray for wisdom of the men and woman fighting the fires and for rain and lots of it to stem the flames

youngrodder 05-08-2016 10:29 PM

The notch looks good Doug. Nice work....
Late Sunday was good for me to get in a little garage time as well..

Marc

Coach529 05-09-2016 09:46 AM

Great looking notch. It sure is fun when it all goes good.

rkn463 05-10-2016 10:00 PM

Hi AD,

I've been reading this thread for a week now since you posted on my c50 build. I wish I had your body working skills, you do great work! I've always loved this series of chevy truck and the burb is just that much more cool. Thanks for sharing your journey, your life and your faith with us.

-Richard

Advanced Design 05-10-2016 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser (Post 7586750)
Nice work Doug I too find a rare occasion where all of my efforts go well and smooth but when they do they sure do work

I agree with your words on the fires my Fiancé has family from there who is directly impacted and are currently displaced and have no idea if their home is gone. It makes you think of how fragile and fleating a lot of our "prized possessions" for now all we can do is pray for wisdom of the men and woman fighting the fires and for rain and lots of it to stem the flames

Thanks Val...sometimes it goes right. The fires in Canada are terrible with so many lives uprooted and changed for ever. Wish the rain we have been getting was there instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7586925)
The notch looks good Doug. Nice work....
Late Sunday was good for me to get in a little garage time as well..

Marc

Hey thanks Marc. You did real good work for late on a Sunday. I start running out of gas. Way back, a buddy and I would work on the race car all Friday night and head for the track in Frederick, MD to drag race on Saturday. That was 25 years ago though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach529 (Post 7587213)
Great looking notch. It sure is fun when it all goes good.

Thank you Coach. When it was going smoothly I was thinking of your build and how the welding was going smoothly...then how the front suspension and one of the rear knuckles really fought you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkn463 (Post 7589132)
Hi AD,

I've been reading this thread for a week now since you posted on my c50 build. I wish I had your body working skills, you do great work! I've always loved this series of chevy truck and the burb is just that much more cool. Thanks for sharing your journey, your life and your faith with us.

-Richard

Richard, thank you for your kind words. And for hanging in there through this long journey of a build thread. You have some very creative ideas going with your build and I love that. And the Lord has worked in our lives in amazing ways. I give Him the glory.

Wife and I went to the shop for a bit this evening. I had to make sure the drive shaft really would clear the notch. Whew...

Then I stared at the frame and exhaust pieces for like a half hour thinking...some parts are slip fit, some butt weld, and it all needs fabricating together. How do I position the pieces to lay them out, measure for needed cuts and support for welding? Came up with an idea I will try next week end. If it works I will share it and if it doesn't we will pretend it didn't happen.

Yeah, I am overthinking this one...

lower50's 05-10-2016 11:51 PM

The notch looks good and strong enough for what it is. For the exhaust I would start at the front attach and tack weld as you move back. That is how I did mine, just make sure you can remove it before you weld to much in case you need to add a flange.

Number98 05-11-2016 09:13 AM

I have been slacking on this thread, I had to go back and read several pages and get caught up. Looking good AD!