The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Random Photos ‘You took’ (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794025)

Chevyland 10-25-2020 10:04 AM

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

That picture made my palms sweat

Ol Blue K20 10-25-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4u2nv (Post 8826858)
I didn't take the picture , no way , my son did , 1000 ft up.

An 8' ladder kills me........never ever catch me up there!!!

72c20customcamper 10-25-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 8826800)
I took these pictures at work this week.

Nice 63 Hawk

3757chevy 10-25-2020 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8826943)
Nice 63 Hawk

He has an Avanti that's pretty nice too.

Steeveedee 10-25-2020 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8826912)
An 8' ladder kills me........never ever catch me up there!!!

Yeah, that gets my vertigo going! Once I helped take a transmitter off the edge of a building, 11 stories up, and two of us standing on a rickety sawhorse made out of 2 by 6es. Man, I was drenched with sweat when we got that off. We didn't have any fall arrest gear, either. I told my supervisor never again. Another time, I climbed to the top of a 200 foot radio tower. I was actually OK with that, because it had stairs. Crawling over the diagonal bracing was annoying, though. I managed to stick my head out of the hatch, but that was all. One of the other engineers stood on the platform and counted to ten, then came down. When I worked at Cape Canaveral, I had to go outside on the top level. Something like 200 feet up. I hugged the wall as far from the railing as I could get. I think one could see Cuba from up there, on a clear day.

1976gmc20 10-25-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8827119)
Yeah, that gets my vertigo going! Once I helped take a transmitter off the edge of a building, 11 stories up, and two of us standing on a rickety sawhorse made out of 2 by 6es. Man, I was drenched with sweat when we got that off. We didn't have any fall arrest gear, either. I told my supervisor never again. Another time, I climbed to the top of a 200 foot radio tower. I was actually OK with that, because it had stairs. Crawling over the diagonal bracing was annoying, though. I managed to stick my head out of the hatch, but that was all. One of the other engineers stood on the platform and counted to ten, then came down. When I worked at Cape Canaveral, I had to go outside on the top level. Something like 200 feet up. I hugged the wall as far from the railing as I could get. I think one could see Cuba from up there, on a clear day.

It's funny: I can stand up on a mountain and it doesn't bother me much but a building etc scares me. I remember up in Alaska several of us were walking along this snowy knife edge ridge with probably 1000' drops on both sides. Ho-hum, it sure is pretty up here :)

And logging down in NM one winter, I had a bunch of timber on the other side of a coulee (arroyo they called them down there). So I dropped a nice size tree across it and walked the tree to cut the limbs even bending over to get the ones underneath. For about a week I used that tree as my trail to work every day. I dunno how they skidded it because I was usually falling trees several weeks ahead of the skidding and loading.

Killer Bee 10-25-2020 09:19 PM

pale by comparison but the lafd fire ladders are 100' free climb, no harness

Larry took this pick of me
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/vthaskd5xh9...0Copy.jpg?dl=0

pictures I took from the top, that's Larry standing on the cab

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/q85kx50hr5o...0Copy.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/kqpk0toqx10...0Copy.jpg?dl=0

point loma is about 400' from sea level.. along with a stout wind it's scary..

I crawled out to the edge on my belly :lol:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/kruf9sn4ze6...03741.JPG?dl=0

Ol Blue K20 10-26-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8827211)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/vthaskd5xh9...0Copy.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/q85kx50hr5o...0Copy.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/kqpk0toqx10...0Copy.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/kruf9sn4ze6...03741.JPG?dl=0

Ooh noooo!!! Non of that for me.

Boog 10-26-2020 09:48 AM

A fella could get a nose bleed just looking at those high shots. ;)

LockDoc 10-26-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8827211)

We used to climb our 100ft aerial ladder then bail over the side and slide down a rope. We also trained on the "Pompier" scaling ladder. You scaled the outside of the building with them. Our training tower was 5 stories high. You would climb to the top, touch the cornice stones and climb back down. This is the best video I could find that shows it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgsgBtG4ibg

It is in different segments throughout the video. This ladder was aluminum, ours were wood with metal strapping. Fun times....

LockDoc

1976gmc20 10-26-2020 01:29 PM

That's a young man's sport. Makes my shoulders and knees hurt just watching it.

72c20customcamper 10-26-2020 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scrounged some oak yesterday

slomotion 10-26-2020 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Still water early in the morning......

special-K 10-27-2020 06:52 PM

Slick ca'm. Nice boat!

'63GENIII 10-27-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8827468)
Scrounged some oak yesterday

Nice score on the Oak! Nice CUT as well. I have one too. You have the BH on it also?

Great little machine!

slomotion 10-27-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8828077)
Slick ca'm. Nice boat!

Thanx Tim.
It doesn't get that calm very often. It was early in the morning and cloudy so the sun hadn't had a chance to stir things up.

72c20customcamper 10-28-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '63GENIII (Post 8828081)
Nice score on the Oak! Nice CUT as well. I have one too. You have the BH on it also?

Great little machine!

This was an easy scrounge town cut it and bucked into lengths I didn't even take my saw
Yup bh and the three point hookup for other implements. It's been a fantastic toy

Rich84 10-29-2020 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a Christmas ornament my grandmother made many many years ago..
My daughter has it hanging on the wall. Looks an awful lot like the Covid to me.
Attachment 2057923

special-K 10-29-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8828317)
This was an easy scrounge town cut it and bucked into lengths I didn't even take my saw
Yup bh and the three point hookup for other implements. It's been a fantastic toy

I pick up that roadside freebie stuff. I have some red oak now that was all 5'-6'. They were clearing powerlines near the road just up about 2 miles from here. I had my empty utility trailer on my way to a job. I turned around and flipped all that wood into then trailer, back home, unloaded, and off to the job after maybe a 45 minute delay. Works for me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 8828886)
This is a Christmas ornament my grandmother made many many years ago..
My daughter has it hanging on the wall. Looks an awful lot like the Covid to me.

Yes it does. She was a visionary :rolleyes:

78chevstepside 10-29-2020 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:chevy:

3757chevy 10-29-2020 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 78chevstepside (Post 8828980)
:chevy:

That's cool.

1976gmc20 10-29-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

roadside freebie stuff
We used to scrounge firewood off powerline right of ways in Alaska. It was all cut in anywhere from 6' to 12' lengths depending on the diameter and stacked. The hard part was getting in and out of there because there wasn't really a road just a cat trail.

72c20customcamper 10-29-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8828967)
I pick up that roadside freebie stuff. I have some red oak now that was all 5'-6'. They were clearing powerlines near the road just up about 2 miles from here. I had my empty utility trailer on my way to a job. I turned around and flipped all that wood into then trailer, back home, unloaded, and off to the job after maybe a 45 minute delay. Works for me.

I do it all the time . But I really dont need it I have enough wood for 5 or 6 years maybe more but I cant help myself

'63GENIII 10-29-2020 11:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Boy's first time out on a charter today. Went out for Rock Cod. Left at 8 or so and back to the dock at 12 with a limited boat.

Was a proud moment for me today. He was finally able to see where I grew up. He almost hit the jackpot. 2nd biggest fish of the day.. A different kind of "remote learning" happened today :lol:

special-K 10-30-2020 05:44 AM

Great way to spend the day. A better approach to education, I'd say. I have a wool jac-shirt like that!

GOPAPA 10-30-2020 08:39 AM

Great time you had out in the ocean fishing with your son,, Rock Cod is one of my favorie fish to eat. Bottom fish are some good fish

Ol Blue K20 10-30-2020 09:59 AM

It looks like you guys had fun. My buddy brought me rock cod he and his son caught last weekend. I don't do well out on those boats. I tend to chum the fish....:lol:

Andy4639 10-31-2020 09:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My view coming home the other night. This is the SC Blue Ridge mts. We live in the foot hills of them. This is a !/4 mile from the house.:chevy:

Redneck Rydes 11-01-2020 06:35 AM

Looks beautiful,I miss my home and family in SC stuck up here cause of Covid

special-K 11-01-2020 07:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I miss my '85 Jimmy Diesel

LUV2XCLR8 11-01-2020 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday morning outside of buffalo, NY :metal:

Killer Bee 11-01-2020 11:25 PM

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/nee1kvtz3sk...52372.jpg?dl=0

LUV2XCLR8 11-03-2020 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Parked in her new home :smoke:

'63GENIII 11-05-2020 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8829175)
Great way to spend the day. A better approach to education, I'd say. I have a wool jac-shirt like that!

Tim, that jacket has been through thick n thin with me 'til I washed it once and then hung it in the room with the wood burner to dry. Turned into a had me down real quick for him that day :lol:.

Just found that there is WiFi at our favorite dirt bike / camping spot a couple weeks ago. Remote learning has just taken a turn for the best! Im cutting out of work a little early next Tuesday and we're gonna camp out, get his school done on Wednesday and ride the rest of the day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 8829196)
Great time you had out in the ocean fishing with your son,, Rock Cod is one of my favorie fish to eat. Bottom fish are some good fish

My Grandpa ran a party - charter boat when i was little. We all worked it on the weekends. My Pop and my little brother. It was always Sturgeon, Rock Cod, Striper, Salmon and Halibut. The Ling Cod were always my favorite but you can never go wrong with most any Rock Cod.

Hard work but we always ate well. By the time I was 10 I hated fish. After he lost the boat in a fog bank (brushed Seal Rock by Cliff House) , I missed the abundance of fish and crab that I had taken for granted.

This trip was a little throwback for me and a little glimpse of my childhood for my boy..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8829223)
It looks like you guys had fun. My buddy brought me rock cod he and his son caught last weekend. I don't do well out on those boats. I tend to chum the fish....:lol:

Its funny Dale, Ive never been sick on a boat but I felt like I needed to take some dramamine this time. Not even sure that I needed it but I took it anyway (along with a few beers :lol:). My main job when I was a kid on my Grandpa's boat was to make sure that people didn't go over the side when they were getting ill, make sure that they didn't go inside the cabin and get sick, and if they got sick inside the cabin or on the deck of the boat, yours truly was on the clean up detail.

To this day, Rock Cod is one of my favorites along with a nice Ling or Halibut!

special-K 11-05-2020 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '63GENIII (Post 8831687)
Tim, that jacket has been through thick n thin with me 'til I washed it once and then hung it in the room with the wood burner to dry. Turned into a had me down real quick for him that day :lol:.

That wool is hard to wear out but it sure loves to shrink. I'm on my second one. The first one I was wearing one night at a fireside party up on the mountain. My girlfriend got all frisky and wanted to wrestle with me. We rolled all over that mountain top and I picked up every burr there was with that jacket. I took it off and stuffed it between the tool box and cab for the ride home. But the next morning it wasn't there. I was bummed. 20 or so years later I was at a flea market in the town just below where that party was and there was the exact same size and color jacket, and for cheap. I never saw another one that color (green) and I've wondered if it might happen to be the same jacket.

1976gmc20 11-05-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

wool is hard to wear out but it sure loves to shrink
The trick is to buy XXXL and then wash in in hot water to fit. ;)

The Gaels had a thing where they would wash newly woven bolt of wool and then all the women would work and beat it by hand until it was dry. They had songs to sing sort of like the old gang working songs. Supposedly the fabric was nearly waterproof when finished.

Killer Bee 11-06-2020 10:11 PM

one of the very few things I'll miss here LoL

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8ti0965u1j6..._6616.jpg?dl=0

Warrens69GMC 11-06-2020 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hooker OK

Warrens69GMC 11-06-2020 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
kc,

Killer Bee 11-06-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 8832570)
kc,

crown center area is beautiful this time of year, for a city anyways LoL

named 'crown' as in the hallmark cards logo..

grade school field trips to kaleidoscope were awesome.. hallmark's children's fun center..

that's the hyatt with the rooftop ufo restaurant.. connects to the plaza around hallmark..

terrible accident in the 80's when a suspended walkway fell..

country club plaza lights few miles over was an annual must visit, along with some good steak or bbq..