The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Gen V Engine swap info (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=732586)

vannatta20 02-05-2018 01:25 AM

Re: Gen V Engine swap info

The bcm is not needed. Tap shift can be controlled with a unit from motech along with the serial ac command and park/neutral safety output. I can only get cruise working so far with a rostra unit. To many inhibitors on the new gen v systems to bypass. If dirty dingo mounts do not work well i know someone here can fab up some that will work. I did on my 96 tahoe. I got the factory vacuum pump and ac along with the other accessories.

vannatta20 02-05-2018 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87chevy.com (Post 8178534)
Does that fit the jeep swap, or the 73-87 squares?

Almost positive it wouldn't fit a square body.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/7606/BEEor3.jpg
I modified the stock hose ends. Close but clearance is there.
Clint

It is a universal part. I do not know if they will clear. 90 degree hose fittings may help. I can send a set for someone to try. I had to spend 400$ to get custom ac lines done on mine since we did not have that part yet.

Izzeren 02-05-2018 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vannatta20 (Post 8178605)
The bcm is not needed. Tap shift can be controlled with a unit from motech along with the serial ac command and park/neutral safety output. I can only get cruise working so far with a rostra unit. To many inhibitors on the new gen v systems to bypass. If dirty dingo mounts do not work well i know someone here can fab up some that will work. I did on my 96 tahoe. I got the factory vacuum pump and ac along with the other accessories.

Which Rostra unit do.you suggest? Do I need to.get one that is specific to the year/model truck the engine came from?

How much is the unit from Motech? Just trying to see what my options are.

As for the Dirty Dingo motor mounts they will work and I will probably go with their accessories brackets when said and done. I just need to figure out if there are any shorty headers that will work in my 74' using their motor mounts. Since there is not a lot of information out there I am not sure what if anything is available to work with them.

Vanatta20 another question for you as well since you seem to know your stuff. I bought the Walbro 255 fuel pump. That should be plenty big enough pump shouldn't it for the fuel system? Still trying to find more info on what exactly needs to be done there since we don't have the FCM. Do you basically set it up similar to the LS system and use the Vette system with it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Clyde65 02-06-2018 04:22 PM

There might be some shorties that fit a stock truck so try your stock manifolds first. There are only a couple LT swap long tube headers (BRP is one) but they are not cheap.

Clyde65 02-06-2018 05:01 PM

On my swap, I have the fuel pump and corvette filter feeding the high pressure pump on the back of the motor.
Idk if my pump is the Walbro or not...I was told it must supply 75psi at all times. I believe that’s correct.

Izzeren 02-11-2018 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde65 (Post 8179869)
There might be some shorties that fit a stock truck so try your stock manifolds first. There are only a couple LT swap long tube headers (BRP is one) but they are not cheap.

I know speed engineering makes some shorties for a stock truck but not sure if they will fit in my 74' or not. I know the stock manifolds will work just trying to pick up a bit more HP Alon with a bit better sound etc..

vannatta20 02-11-2018 02:01 PM

https://youtu.be/uj078sfLnhs

Stock 5.3 gen v with 6l80e. The performance is amazing!

cornerstone 02-12-2018 01:44 AM

^^^ WOW! ^^^ I cant wait to drive mine. Thanks for the video!

z71se 11-20-2018 04:57 PM

Any updates guys?

vannatta20 11-20-2018 06:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My 1976 C10 is done. It has a 5.3 gen v with the LT1 intake setup. 6l80 with a 3k stall. Texas speed stage 2 cam. It runs great. I have a electric power steering pump on this build and a 2016 Camaro as fan.

https://youtu.be/eLN3lajSpvY

cornerstone 11-23-2018 12:26 PM

Lovin’ it!!! I’m getting closeer to installing your harness on and giving it a go. What did you do with your transmission lines?

ls1nova71 12-07-2021 11:19 PM

Bringing this thread back from the dead! I see Vannatta20 hasn't been on here since September, but maybe someone else has some answers. What is everyone doing to control the alternator in an LT swap? I'm thinking without the GBCM, or what ever they use now, it will default to the 13.4v that the older swaps would do?

87chevy.com 12-08-2021 09:03 PM

Ive seen it on the stock c-10 gauge where it drops below 12v, but I don't know how accurate the gauge is either. The power going to the cab is 10ga tefzel wire (quality good stuff) strait from my buss bar fuse block which gets 2ga battery feed to it. No interior sound system yet :( just exhaust notes.

I have a massive 650watt radiator fan that runs at 10-15% a/c off, but when a/c is on, it runs 85%.

Its random when the gauge reads lower voltage than I'd like to see but I have no problems with it. Most of the time, its above the 12v mark. Truck sadly gets a hard ride once a month maybe, and is stored with no battery disconnect or anything and starts like a champ. (800cca AGM battery).

clint

Hart_Rod 07-21-2022 01:26 PM

Lots of great info in this thread! I'm getting ready to a L86/8L90 swaps in a 93 and then an 84. Looking forward to contributing some good info in here!

NDM 02-04-2024 02:07 PM

My swap has begun and stalled for a little.
72 K5 Blazer
L8T 6.6 from a 21silverado 2500 with 25k miles
6l90e 2wd from the same truck

Planned to go 2wd instead of 4x4 but I am stuck because I kind of like the 4wd for utility purposes. I kind of thought about going 2wd prerunner style but I am stuck with indecision.

I want to run Holley terminator X max but I am also stuck trying to figure out if I want to spend the extra $$$ on direct injection and it's potential issues or convert to Gen IV by deleting the direct injection.

4wd is definitely much to complicated and requires twice the funds for various adapters and such. I definitely feel like going 2wd for simplicity and lower cost.

Currently laid off from my job so everything is at a standstill except my custom 304 Stainless tank that I will be building. I have the the materials and the time so why not!?! I will be going with like 28-30 gallons. Once I run out of argon though, that will have to hault too.

I have been funding my swap by selling off my beloved excess things. Mostly cult classic car audio gear (speakers, subwoofers, etc.) I may sell my custom chopper if too much time passes without an income though.