The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Got it one piece at a time... 51 chev (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=604783)

LOW A D 02-06-2016 01:42 AM

Re: Got it one piece at a time... 51 chev

1 Attachment(s)
I've been working on getting my door gaps set to my liking and welding in my outer cowl patches and outer cab corners. As you all know, this requires installing and removing the doors several times. Adjusting the door each time you put it back on takes time and it is hard to put it the exact same spot each time. Maybe most of you already know this but if it can help at least one person, I will show you how I do it. Once I have the door adjusted to exactly where I want it, I drill a 1/4 inch hole through the hinge and through the door. I do this to both upper and lower hinge. This way, when you put the door back on, you line up the 1/4 holes and insert a 1/4 bolt through the holes. Now the door will stay put in exactly the right spot and you can put in the six bolts holding the door to the hinge without trying to balance the door on your knees. Once the bolts are all tight, simply pull out the 1/4 inch bolts. Hope this makes sense!!

am0254338 02-06-2016 03:58 AM

Hey that's a good idea...thanks!

Titorod 02-06-2016 06:19 AM

Nice start, definitely watching this in order to learn all those tricks like the door one. Thanks.

reaper71 02-06-2016 10:39 AM

Low AD, We do basically the same thing except I drill and tap it for the 1/4 20 bolt that way it will not move on you, and locks it in place.

Mark...

LOW A D 02-06-2016 11:16 AM

I used to tap it too but I have found its faster to just drill a 1/4 inch hole right through and just slide the bolt all the way in. Seems to hold the door in place just as well and that way you dont need another wrench or socket. I remove the 1/4 inch bolt after the door is bolted on. Both ways work equally well but i find this way simpler

RockinKees 02-06-2016 04:34 PM

Great tip!
Maybe a dumb question, but I gotta ask:
I use new weatherstriping in the doors, do you adjust the doors with or without this new rubber??

LOW A D 02-06-2016 06:22 PM

I adjust the doors before i start welding in any patches.. As i weld in cab corners and the outer cowl patch, etc., I make the patches fit the door. Another little tip here, I always remove the door latch or striker before lining up the door because the latch can pull the door up or down unless it is perfectly aligned. After the door fits nice I set the striker and latch in the correct position. After new weather strip is installed you may need to make some minor adjustments but the door should stay pretty much in the same spot. Hope this helps

Oldtruckwelder 02-06-2016 08:28 PM

Nice thread, great skills !!
Glad you got back into your build.
JT from SC

99 to Life 02-07-2016 12:30 AM

Very nice tips fellas

RockinKees 02-07-2016 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOW A D (Post 7476193)
I adjust the doors before i start welding in any patches.. As i weld in cab corners and the outer cowl patch, etc., I make the patches fit the door. Another little tip here, I always remove the door latch or striker before lining up the door because the latch can pull the door up or down unless it is perfectly aligned. After the door fits nice I set the striker and latch in the correct position. After new weather strip is installed you may need to make some minor adjustments but the door should stay pretty much in the same spot. Hope this helps

This sure helps, a lot!!
Thanks!!

I now know what to do ;)

lower50's 02-08-2016 09:48 AM

That's a GREAT door trick. I was stressing a bit because I like how my doors are adjusted now but I have to take them off to put the door seals on. THANKS

LOW A D 02-08-2016 02:18 PM

Glad I could Help! Lower 50, I read through your build yesterday, love the look of your truck!

LOW A D 02-13-2016 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been working on the truck, got all the rust taken care of so now the fun begins! Rust patches are my least favorite part of any build but it's becoming easier because of nice reproduction parts. Today I cut out my firewall. I find it easier to make a new one than to weld up all the holes in the old one

LOW A D 02-13-2016 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the new firewall I built. Just held in with clecos for now, hope to weld it in tomorrow

99 to Life 02-13-2016 09:05 PM

I actually really dig the factory firewall, cleaned up of course. but this is really nice looking too. great job. really flows with your recess. I hate seeing a lazy recess, this sure isn't that.

Advanced Design 02-13-2016 09:32 PM

Looks really good Low. Did you use a bead roller to get the stepped edge?

LOW A D 02-14-2016 01:38 AM

Thanks guys, yes I used a bead roller around the edge to give it some rigidity and a little style

ptc 02-15-2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOW A D (Post 7471743)
I also spent a bit of time fine tuning my new firewall. I had to make a deep recess for the engine because I set it quite far back on the frame. I did this so I can use the mechanical fan and leave the rad in its stock location. Im told the truck will handle better with the engine further back too, not sure how much difference that will make, guess ill find out when I drive it

The firewall looks incredible with the beads and the smooth fields.... very nice! Also the truck will definitely handle better with the engine further back, its basically moving the center of gravity more towards the middle of the truck (which they need desperately) instead of a 75/25 offset typically. So it should be a real nice driver when you are done.

lower50's 02-16-2016 03:52 AM

Fire wall looks great nice touches with the bead roller.

Flysocal 02-16-2016 01:20 PM

That's a really nice job on the firewall!

LOW A D 02-18-2016 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the comments and compliments! Got the firewall all welded in, just got to finish up the trans hump. I have planned to use a TF dash in an AD truck for years so today I went to cut one out of a parts truck. I wish I had remembered to take a pic of where the truck was that I got the dash out of. For all you people not living in a place with snow, you have no idea how hard it is for some of us to get parts off in winter! This truck was almost completely buried in snow! The owner luckily had a tractor and snowblower so he cleared a path to the truck and we shovelled enough that we could open one door! It was a project but I now have my dash at home. I know this has been done before but I have always liked theTF gauge cluster. Now to make it all fit!!

Advanced Design 02-18-2016 08:37 PM

The dash will be a nice modification and I think I would have been tempted to wait until the snow melted. :)

lower50's 02-19-2016 05:57 AM

That might be a long wait AD

LOW A D 02-19-2016 09:09 AM

It was a nice day, sunny, no wind, and temps above freezing so it was not bad getting the dash. I could not wait for spring because i need the dash for final fitting of steering column, heater, and pedal placement. One good thing about all the snow, at least there is no yard work to do so I can spend a lot of time in the shop!

LOW A D 01-22-2019 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1867314
Well after another 3 year break since my last post, im finally working on my truck again! Here is a pic of the dash installed in the truck. I made it removable so i can easily work on the wipers, heater, wiring etc. later