The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   The "In over my head" build thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=385110)

Jtrux 05-07-2011 02:53 PM

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

I just read your build, looks good. On a side note about the lugs having a "loose" feeling, I wouldn't see any issue in running it like that since the friction between the rotor and wheel surface will negate any play in the stud, especially concerning the miniscule amount you mentioned. The stud doesn't actually hold the weight of the vehicle anyways, just the friction between the two surfaces BUT it looks like you found a good solution to your problem and i'm sure you won't have any issues. Look forward to reading about some more progress!

SeventyOne 05-09-2011 12:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Update 5.8.11 - A bolt-on affair

Man I love new parts! Toughest part of getting the suspension back on the frame are the damn poly bushings! But I guess if they aren't snug and tight they aren't doing their job.

Anyways - here are my shackle angles with no weight on the frame...should I be worrying?

Attachment 743988

Attachment 743990

Here's the chassis with the suspension and both axles under it. Tires are 37" MTRs for those not familiar.

Attachment 743991

Frame height at the belly - It's going to be big...:devil:

Attachment 743992

End of the day snug as a bug next to it's better half :lol:

Attachment 743993

I need to get trans crossmember in place but I am having problems getting the bolt holes to align. It's as if the frame is more narrow now. Anyone have any ideas to "spread the rails" while I get the bolts sinched down? I was thinking of cutting a 4x4 post wider than the rails are currently and tapping it in between the rails to get them to spread slightly - trick is not to scratch the powder coating... thoughts?

cvalcore 05-09-2011 01:01 AM

if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost to get the frame powder coated?

SeventyOne 05-09-2011 01:14 AM

Frame alone would have been $600. Not bad in my opinion - the thing is spotless. I got all the brackets, crossmembers, core support, shackles and mics junk for a little more than $900.

jaros44sr 05-09-2011 07:05 AM

how about a scissor jack and a 4x4??

SeventyOne 05-09-2011 06:45 PM

Ya maybe that could work...

Sorta like... [-X-]
if the [ ]'s are the frame rails, the -'s are 4x4's and the x is the jack to spread...

Now I gotta find a scissor jack - oh wait maybe my car has one.

I'll update later...

jaros44sr 05-09-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 4671202)
Ya maybe that could work...

Sorta like... [-X-]
if the [ ]'s are the frame rails, the -'s are 4x4's and the x is the jack to spread...

Now I gotta find a scissor jack - oh wait maybe my car has one.

I'll update later...

I would only use 1 4x4, less chance of it slipping...

[ X-]

SeventyOne 05-09-2011 11:42 PM

Your idea would have worked better I suppose but the scissor jack did the trick. Trans crossmember is bolted in with new stainless hardware without much fuss - Thanks Jaros!

SeventyOne 05-10-2011 11:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Worked on the truck a little more tonight.

The calipers I bought months ago were starting to show some surface rust and since I'm in the chassis build phase it seemed fitting to get them painted up and ready for installation.

Here's a side by side sorta before and after shot:

Attachment 744888

The paint is a silver engine enamel that looks just like the cast metal of the calipers. Wasn't intentional but I like it.

I then put in the transfer case torque mount (minus two bolts...)

Attachment 744889

Then I got to thinking about the hardware I will need in the future since new shiny hardware is sooo much nicer than old, rusty, greasy crap...Does anyone know where you can get new Th350 Transmission mount bolts? These are the bolts that go through the crossmember and into the adapter that is sandwiched between the trans and tcase.

Attachment 744890

Attachment 744891

They are 1/2" x 13 and about 5-5.5" long. The guy at the hardware store said the looked like starter bolts...Anyways - any thoughts on where to get some new ones? (Yes the one pictured is tweaked/bent)

In other news my engine builder called to inform me my 383 is out of the machine shop and being moved to the assembly room...:chevy:

SeventyOne 05-13-2011 01:28 AM

Anyone know anything about the bolt in my last post? Where to get replacements or will standard bolts work fine. The stock ones have the beveled end though...

Tonight I disassembled the NP205 transfer case completely. Wasn't all that difficult. We'll see now the re-assembly goes when I get the rebuild kit. In the mean time I can get the case and other parts cleaned up and painted.

I pick up my rebuilt 700r4 on Saturday and my engine could be ready next week sometime...I am buying parts up left and right. It's like I was in this bottleneck waiting for the frame to get done and now it's like a free for all!

Burt4x4 05-13-2011 08:49 AM

Go too OSH and buy G8 bolts. I also used nylon lock nuts on everything.
Lookin good. Your shakels/springs should be fine with all the weight in them. Any reason you didn'i upgrade your front rear shakles? ORD makes a beefy set..I guess if yer not gonna wheel hard you'll be fine :uhmk:
:mm::chevy::mm:

elzombo 05-13-2011 10:48 AM

Let me know how the NP205 rebuild goes. I have been thinking about buying a rebuild kit and doing it myself, but I don't want to open it up and realize that I'm not sure how to put it back together. The dis-assembly always seems to be easier than the re-assembly.

SeventyOne 05-13-2011 04:43 PM

This truck won't be built for hardcore wheeling so I didn't see the need for the shackles. Down the road when I swap to a D60 and do crossover steering I might...

There's a great write up I found regarding the NP205 rebuild. Step by step instructions with pics. I figure If I get lost I can refer to that and an exploded view diagram to get it back together. It's just gears, bearings, shafts, and seals right?? :lol:

I'll post a link to it when I get it back together with some pics.

VA72C10 05-13-2011 05:19 PM

Nice build! Looking great!!!!

SeventyOne 05-15-2011 01:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Update 5/14/11 - We're moving now!

Picked up my 700r4 from the trans builder this morning. Real good guy and super knowledgeable. He also hooked me up with a 5 pinion rear planetary gear set w/o charge! Can't wait to get this beast behind the engine!

Attachment 746635

Attachment 746636

Attachment 746637

Here's all the internals of the NP205. I spent about 4 hours today going through the bags and cleaning parts - bolts, cover plates, bearing retainers, etc - to get them ready for the assembly. POR15's Marin Clean is AMAZING at getting 40year old dirty greasy sludgy crap off these parts. It did seem to tarnish the aluminum parts though - I'm not too worried becuase 1: their clean, and 2: it's a Tcase...who cares... :lol:

Attachment 746638

This last shot shows the top of the case where the plugs and shift rail ball bearings sit. I wanted to show this because when I came to that part in the disassembly the top of the case had so much crap caked onto it I couldn't even find these holes! Nasty...

Attachment 746639

Case should get fully cleaned and masked for paint tomorrow. Seals and new bearings should be coming soon from NorthWestFab.

SeventyOne 05-17-2011 12:45 AM

Nothing much to add. Just boring stuff like painting the transfer case........oh and my engine will be delivered tomorrow....

:metal:;):chevy::ito::uhmk::flag::bann::hm::flagw:

Baketown Scotty 05-17-2011 07:31 PM

Are you using the stock transmission cross member with the 700R4?

el3m3nt3l 05-18-2011 02:44 AM

build looks great. same color as mine.

SeventyOne 05-18-2011 06:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Update 5/18

Here's what was delivered yesterday...
Attachment 748725

Attachment 748727

Attachment 748728

Attachment 748726

383, roller cam & rockers, aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. :chevy:

BaketownScotty: Yes, I and using the stock trans crossmember in the stock location. I had the trans built with the Advanced Adapters output shaft so it will bolt up to the NP205 behind it. The extra length that the 700r4 has over the Th350 will be accounted for by moving the engine and crossmember forward.

el3m3nt3l: Yes I really like the stock green color but I don't think it will end up being painted that color in the end...

VA72C10 05-18-2011 06:50 PM

:bo2:

SeventyOne 06-22-2011 12:08 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Been about a month so I thought I would post a quick update as to the trucks progress...

I did finish up the Tcase rebuild about a month ago now. It wasn't terribly hard and I would certainly feel confident tackling another now that I know what to watch out for. Here are some pics when I finished it up:

Attachment 764207

Attachment 764208

I have also been amassing parts to get the engine, trans, and Tcase back in the truck such as flexplate bolts, torque converter bolts, and bellhousing bolts. Also a bunch of steering parts...got a raised steering arm, drop pitman arm (both should give me a nice flat drag link angle), new tie rod ends, and this beauty:

Attachment 764218

Attachment 764219

I also cleaned and painted the Tcase adapter, fuel tank straps, main steering link (I always forget what it's called...). Lastly since I cannot find a vendor that sells the square u-bolt that holds the gas tank straps to the frame nor can I find a u-bolt manufacturer that will make me a 1-off for less than $125, I bought some 3/8" threaded rod to attempt to bend my own square u bolt - total cost from Home Depot? $2.50. Pics to come when I get around to bending it.

:chevy:

elzombo 06-22-2011 10:59 AM

Awesome...if you have a chance, will you PM me the info on the Tcase kit you used, price, what to watch out for, etc.? Thanks! Looks great!!!

SeventyOne 06-22-2011 01:46 PM

I have all the manuals/guides/walkthroughs for the rebuild on my home computer. I will try to post links to where I found them.

Rather than PM this info it might be nice to post the info here so it is a record for anyone else wanting to rebuild a NP205:

Rebuild Kit: I bought a full rebuild kit from NorthWestFab (google it). It came with all the bearing, small parts, and seals needed. There were some parts I didn't use because I didn't fully disassemble the rear output shaft to change out the needle bearings. It would have been a major pain in the ass, two of the 3 write ups skipped the step, and my case was so clean and showed only minor wear I thought it was ok to skip. Price was about $220.

Things to watch out for:

I did not do this but IF I were to do another I would powerwash the case before I disassemble.

Bag each assembly (input shaft, front output shaft, rear output shaft, idler assembly, etc) as you remove the parts. If you are a forgetful person you may want to take pics as you disassemble - the write ups also have a ton of pics to help you out though.

Once apart: I wiped down and cleaned anything else that needed it, and masked, primed, and painted the case.

Reassembly: Tricky part #1 = the shift rail insertion. You need to put the first rail in to a certain point WITH the shift fork attached (but not yet pinned) in order to get the 2nd rail in all the way. Once the 2nd rail is in you can insert the 1st rail all the way and pin both shift forks. I did this wrong, I put the first rail in with the shift fork, pinned it and then had a dumb look on my face when I was unable to get the 2nd rail all the way in. I ended up having to un-pin the fork, pull the rail out part way, put the 2nd rail in with the shift fork, then insert the 1st rail in all the way before pinning both forks.

Tricky Part #2 = Shift fork roll pin insertion. Obviously when you shift the transfer case you are moving the shift rails which in turn move the shift forks around. The roll pins are what keep the shift rails attached to the forks. To save you a headache pre-tap the pins into the top of each fork enough to seat it. then when you are ready to drive the pins in (after completing the shift rail insertions) they will already be seated and easier to drive into the rail holes.

Everything else was pretty straight forward...

el3m3nt3l 06-22-2011 10:59 PM

dont blame you. i'm thinking matte black for mine. but not sure yet.

SeventyOne 06-23-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el3m3nt3l (Post 4750462)
dont blame you. i'm thinking matte black for mine. but not sure yet.

What part are we talking about here?

el3m3nt3l 06-23-2011 12:55 AM

we were talking body color.:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 4687748)
Update 5/18

Here's what was delivered yesterday...
Attachment 748725

Attachment 748727

Attachment 748728

Attachment 748726

383, roller cam & rockers, aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. :chevy:

BaketownScotty: Yes, I and using the stock trans crossmember in the stock location. I had the trans built with the Advanced Adapters output shaft so it will bolt up to the NP205 behind it. The extra length that the 700r4 has over the Th350 will be accounted for by moving the engine and crossmember forward.

el3m3nt3l: Yes I really like the stock green color but I don't think it will end up being painted that color in the end...

SeventyOne 06-23-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el3m3nt3l (Post 4750728)
we were talking body color.:metal:

Gotcha! I've actually been thinking about a light ice blue color now...I think I will have changed my mind a few times between now and paint time.

el3m3nt3l 06-24-2011 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what i'm thinking when it comes to body color.

Attachment 765320

SeventyOne 06-24-2011 03:19 PM

I think I like "oooh shiney paint" too much for any flat color :lol:

To each his own though.

SeventyOne 06-26-2011 01:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Update 6/25

Got some time today to go out in the garage and took care of some little projects.

Redhead steering box on:

Attachment 766047

Drop Pitman on:

Attachment 766048

Raised Steering arm on:

Attachment 766049

Here are the custom aluminum spacers for the shock mount I ended up using:

Attachment 766050

And here is the square U-bolt I made up for the gas tank straps:

Attachment 766051
I just took some 3/8" all thread, used my bench grinder to cut V notches where I needed the bends and then folded the metal on itself. Then I tack welded the cut/fold to make it solid again. Came out perfect and I saved myself $122.50! :lol:

dacian 06-26-2011 08:43 AM

if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost to get the frame powder coated?

poker online

SeventyOne 06-26-2011 12:46 PM

From post 84 :smoke:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 4670187)
Frame alone would have been $600. Not bad in my opinion - the thing is spotless. I got all the brackets, crossmembers, core support, shackles and mics junk for a little more than $900.

tantrumpipeline 06-26-2011 12:50 PM

looking good as always, look forward to the progress of this build

SeventyOne 07-03-2011 08:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Update 7.3.11 God Bless America!

I love this country! I spend the day with friends, drinking Budweiser (have you seen their cool "Patriotic" cans lol) and working on a Chevy!:chevy:

Anyways, on to the good stuff...

My Brother, his friend (he has an '82 Blazer), my cousin, and boardmember Rdrdave came out to help with the drivetrain installation. Big thanks to everyone - I couldn't have done it without their help!

Attachment 769209

Attachment 769220

Attachment 769211

Attachment 769212

Attachment 769213

Pop's C-10 07-03-2011 10:12 PM

nice build

SeventyOne 07-04-2011 02:07 PM

Thank you :chevy:

Mr-Jack 07-26-2011 02:09 PM

i had an issue with bulging on an old rock crawler...i took the big nut off and double nutted using some skinnier nuts...not sure if this is correct, but they never loosened at all.

Nice build by the way. giving me a few ideas.

Rdrdave 07-26-2011 04:53 PM

You might want to check your torque wrench. Torque to a lower spec until it clicks then go to the recommended spec. They're weird like that. I've seen t/w break bolts before they click.

SeventyOne 07-26-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdrdave (Post 4811818)
You might want to check your torque wrench. Torque to a lower spec until it clicks then go to the recommended spec. They're weird like that. I've seen t/w break bolts before they click.

Worth a try. I have a 3/8" and 1/2" drive so I'll try both. Thanks.

Edit: though now that I think about it I had been using the T/W on nut/bolts for an hour prior making my way around the truck...BUT this was the last nut/bolt I attempted to torque that day so I can't be sure the wrench didn't get tweaked somehow.

jav418 01-04-2012 10:46 AM

nice build!