The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My 66 Project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=615165)

Erratic67 11-15-2015 01:06 PM

Re: My 66 Project

Thanks for the info. It makes it much easier when there is a direction you want to go and instructions to follow. I will begin ordering the parts needed from ECE and hopefully installing them shortly after, as time permits.
As you mentioned, "there are many nicer trucks" but I've done countless hours of research, viewed thousands of pics. and your truck stays in my memory bank. Don't know if it's the color combination, great pics. or the story along with its history. This is my first restoration and I'm excited about experiencing what is in store for me, as I will be making this my daily driver. Thanks again for taking the time to provide me with the info.

Sincerely thankful,
Erratic67

ChrisDollins 11-19-2015 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've drove the truck to work the past two days and am planning on taking it tomorrow too. Wanting to get all of the little bugs worked out and dd it for a little while I sell my wife-hand-me-down car. Wanting to replace it with a 4th gen Z28 like I use to have. Think I'm going through an early mid-life crisis. That's what my wife calls it anyways lol.

Chris

Grizz1963 11-20-2015 04:25 AM

I really do love this truck as well.

The whole story and as you have evolved it, things like the bed wood, starting out and then just doing the lot.

dwcardfan 11-20-2015 09:49 AM

Oh yea that truck is looking good. I have to come see it in person soon. The mid life crisis has started but I don't think it ever ends. Lol

ChrisDollins 12-06-2015 11:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Took the truck on a nice cruise yesterday to Donnie's place in Strawberry. Such beautiful country out that way! A friend of mine rode with me that loves old trucks too. He's working on a '61 Ford unibody. Anyhow, we wound up taking the wrong section of hwy on the way down. Anyone that's from here knows that the road system is kinda funny at times. There are like 3 hwy 115's, 117's, and 166's. And some of them are pretty far apart. So needless to say, we took the wrong one lol. Ended up seeing a lot of nice country and a bunch of old cars and trucks out too. Made it to Donnie's and checked out his sweet pickup. Super slick truck! So many cool things with it and great attention to detail. I wish I would have felt a little better and could of actually spoke more lol.

The reason for the trip was my Mom had been to a restaurant or something that had a tailgate bench out front. She decided that was what she wanted for Christmas. So the hunt for a 60-66 tailgate was on. I knew surely one of our local truck guys would have one I could buy. But of course good-guy Donny wouldn't let me buy it. Wish we would have had time to cruise the trucks somewhere to eat so I could buy your lunch. Anyways, I'll post pics of the process with the bench. Here's a few pics of the trip, tailgate bench, and a pickup for sale on the way home with a keg gas tank. Pretty cool.

Chris

ChrisDollins 12-12-2015 11:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finished the tailgate bench today for Mom's Christmas. Thank you again Donnie for the tailgate!!

Chris

dwcardfan 12-12-2015 11:22 PM

You are welcome Chris. It looks good. I am sure your mother will love it.

Ta2Don 12-13-2015 08:48 AM

Looks great Chris...;)

ChrisDollins 12-13-2015 11:31 AM

Thanks guys! It went together pretty quick. Thankfully had the boards laying around. Want to make another one for the shop. Might make a few small changes next time, but I'm happy with it.

Chris

clemdaddy 12-14-2015 08:46 AM

bench looks great and what a nice thing for your mom. the fact that she wanted one is the coolest part. but watch out, she'll be wanting a truck next...

ChrisDollins 12-15-2015 09:25 PM

Thanks Clem! You're probably right, I'm suprised she hasn't asked for one yet. We get to go for a truck ride every once in a while.

Chris

ChrisDollins 12-15-2015 09:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I was in the tinkering mood I guess haha. Put this lamp together using stuff laying around. Giving this to Dad for Christmas. Everyone is getting car parts haha. Kinda want to keep both of then for the office though! Have to build some more. Sorry for the crappy phone pics. It's an aluminum Corvette valve cover, copper line and a rearend cover.

Chris

ChrisDollins 02-20-2016 05:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally switched the truck over to floor shift. Bought the old indy shifter off of eBay and had the handle lengthened 6". I polished all of the wear sections and greased them to help make it smoother working. The linkages were difficult to get just right. They could still use some adjusting to get the stick placement just right, but it works good for now haha. If you put it together like it looks like it's suppose to be, 2/3 and R/1 are reversed lol. It really changed the dynamic of the truck, I like it much better in the floor. Now just have to find a boot for it.

Chris

Ta2Don 02-20-2016 08:49 PM

:metal:Diggin the lamp and the shifter...

ChrisDollins 02-22-2016 12:27 PM

Thanks Don! I'm ready to get the 283 ready to drop in now. Believe it or not, I'm still having a little brake issue. It just comes and goes. I need to start completely fresh with the new layout.

Chris

dwcardfan 02-22-2016 12:32 PM

Shifter looks right at home!

TJ's Chevy 02-22-2016 03:21 PM

Lamp and shifter are sweet!

clemdaddy 02-22-2016 04:18 PM

dig the shifter... why would anybody want it on the column? really good addition. and the lamp, rocks. hope that was not a staggered bolt pattern valve cover as they are rare and i would be hitting you up for it.:lol:

very cool...

ChrisDollins 02-25-2016 11:05 PM

Thanks guys! I'm really liking the shifter. It's not perfect, but it fits the cheap 60's hotrod style of the truck.

To ease your mind, it wasn't an offset pattern. It was aluminum, but looked like normal pattern. A section of flange was cracked and broke upwards. It was left in the basement of one of my rentals, so I took it to the shop. Would love to find a set for the 283. But the script covers will work for now. I'll post some pics of it here soon as well.

Chris

Bomp 02-29-2016 01:10 PM

Read through the build. Awesome history and love the bench/light project. Following along from here on out.

ChrisDollins 04-17-2016 09:41 AM

I've been meaning to post some pics of a meet we had last week. Donnie brought his truck out too! Such a good looking truck, glad we got to park beside each other. Still having fun playing with the new camera and editing the pictures. Hopefully they don't look too bad lol. I still need to try to get some better ones of my truck. Any hints or ideas, I'm listening. Anyhow, nothing really new with the truck, just driving it as much as possible. Here's a few pictures from the meet and opening night of Pump Boys and Dinette's at the Downtown Playhouse here in Pocahontas.

Chris
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380952.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380950.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380951.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380939.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380937.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380949.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380944.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380943.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380942.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380948.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...8385380946.jpg

Bomp 04-17-2016 11:56 AM

Thanks for sharing. Killer pics.

Ta2Don 04-17-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7563631)
Thanks for sharing. Killer pics.

X2!!!:metal: Need to get mine rollin' so I can drop in on the fun...;)

dwcardfan 04-17-2016 05:01 PM

Thanks for the invite Chris. The trucks look good parked together. All the pics look cool.

ChrisDollins 04-17-2016 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 7563865)
X2!!!:metal: Need to get mine rollin' so I can drop in on the fun...;)

Heck yea, you can come hang out in the meantime as well. If you like to talk cars and trucks, that's all we care lol. We meet the first Thursday of every month. Haven't reserved a place for next month just yet, but I'll let ya know!

Chris

ChrisDollins 04-17-2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan (Post 7563901)
Thanks for the invite Chris. The trucks look good parked together. All the pics look cool.

Thanks! So glad you came. It's time to start scheduling some cruises now. I'll post them up when I get them set.

Chris

northern 85 04-18-2016 07:45 AM

Very nice pictures!

ChrisDollins 05-25-2016 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took a day off yesterday to get the truck back in order to start DDing again. Replaced the wheel cylinders in the back, the drivers side parking brake cable, the chassis to reared line, and made sure the metal lines were clear. Drivers rear is still grabbing first. I bled everything a ton. Not sure what's up. Took it to a friends and put it on his lift. He adjusted around and we bled again. Still nothing. But the passenger parking brake cable is froze as well. NAPA forgot to order my second cable. Should have it installed tomorrow if I get time. I'm hoping that will change something. Not sure what is going on.

Chris

clemdaddy 05-26-2016 06:29 AM

those are great looking pics, you and that camera work well together.

have your brake shoes gotten any fluid on them? that makes them soft and sticky. just a thought...

ChrisDollins 05-26-2016 07:51 AM

Thanks Clem! They actually look clean, but I thought about going ahead and picking up some new ones today just as another chance lol. It's pretty clean in there, but I'm not sure how old the shoes are.

Chris

ChrisDollins 05-27-2016 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well..... When people tell you it's probably the brake shoes, you change the daing shoes. ... After all of this mess, I changed them yesterday and the problem is gone! Feel like a gomer. The pads looked good, but I don't know how old they were. So anyhow, at least there's all new parts in there now lmao. Feels good to drive it to work again! Thanks Clem for being the one to finally drive that idea into my thick skull lol.

Chris

ChrisDollins 07-02-2016 10:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Used the truck to haul parts to the new project today. It was about an inch or so off of the bump stops haha. Not sure why the PO decided to take apart everything on the little car. Sure would have been easier to move in one piece! Oh well, wouldn't have been able to buy it like that. I'll make a build thread over in the "Alternate Tinkering" once I get it cleaned up and take some pictures. Anyhow, it's a '68 GTO 400 4 speed and I'm the third owner. Not doing a high dollar or correct build. Going to put it together and drive it as easily and cheaply as possible lol.

Chris

northern 85 07-03-2016 08:00 AM

Very cool, going to be some cool pics when you finish and get them together!

Ta2Don 07-03-2016 08:35 AM

Glad you're able to drive the 66 to work...:metal: Sweet lil GTO, looking forward to the build.. ;)

TJ's Chevy 07-03-2016 09:07 AM

Always nice to be able to drive them!

clemdaddy 07-03-2016 11:42 AM

good to see your truck doing the work she was intended to do... never heard of a GTO hauling parts for a truck project.:lol: but I guess it could happen.

the truck is very nice...

Grizz1963 07-03-2016 04:17 PM

GTO immediately reminded me of Roadkill.

Your truck is rather tasty and gets extra bonus points for being used.

Bomp 07-03-2016 04:54 PM

Clean looking GTO. Its always a win when a truck gets driven.

ChrisDollins 07-05-2016 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7642520)
Clean looking GTO. Its always a win when a truck gets driven.

Thanks man, I love using the truck any chance I get. The GTO is a little ways away from being "clean" though haha. I'll get some more pics and make that build thread soon. It's a mess....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7642485)
GTO immediately reminded me of Roadkill.

Your truck is rather tasty and gets extra bonus points for being used.

I love Roadkill!!! Those guys have all the fun. Thanks, it is my only truck right now, so she's gotta put in some work now and then haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 7642306)
good to see your truck doing the work she was intended to do... never heard of a GTO hauling parts for a truck project.:lol: but I guess it could happen.

the truck is very nice...

I imagine the GTO will end up hauling parts for the truck at some point haha. Thanks Clem. She takes good pictures anyhow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 7642175)
Glad you're able to drive the 66 to work...:metal: Sweet lil GTO, looking forward to the build.. ;)

Heck yea! Sold my little car, so the 66 has been my daily for a couple months now and I love it! It's not nearly as hot as you would think it would be. Those floor vents help a bunch. Sitting in traffic though.... that's no fun haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7642196)
Always nice to be able to drive them!

Definitely! I get discouraged quick if I can't drive and enjoy them. Even if they're ugly, I want to drive em haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by northern 85 (Post 7642156)
Very cool, going to be some cool pics when you finish and get them together!

Thanks! I think so too. Kind of thinking it needs to be black to match.

ChrisDollins 07-24-2016 09:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Little guy helped me clean up the truck before our Cruise-In yesterday. Even though it was so hot, ended up with a decent turnout, 13 vehicles and over 20 people. This is my week off, so I'm going to try to get a few things done on the truck. I'll post up as I get them done. Maybe I can get a few hours with the GTO as well.

Chris