The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Previous owner '68 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849675)

raggedjim 01-15-2024 08:25 PM

Re: Previous owner '68

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to grind the offending caliper. I know, if I had ground the spindle area then all calipers from now on would have fit. But I have this thing about things not fitting correctly, if you don't fit, you will be ground down and made to fit. I'm not going to grind a good part to make it fit a bad part.

The second pic shows the comparison of the 2 calipers. The passengers (original GM part) casting on the right is crisper and not as bulky. The drafts from the dies are more pronounced and it fits. The drivers caliper works, now.

raggedjim 01-15-2024 08:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got the calipers installed.

raggedjim 01-15-2024 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The front brake hoses are for an '85, I had to tweak them to make them fit without hitting the spindle.

Shifty One 01-16-2024 10:27 AM

Looking good!

raggedjim 01-16-2024 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty One (Post 9277053)
Looking good!

Thanks!

raggedjim 01-16-2024 07:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I hand bent some brake lines for the rearend and installed the trailing arms, springs, and rearend. No excitement, which is good.

raggedjim 01-16-2024 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally back on all 4 wheels.

68Gold/white 01-17-2024 03:28 PM

I have some of those later brake hoses I plan to use on my 67 and 68.
Those CPP lower control arms, are they 73-up, or earlier???

I am/or was planning on using 71-71 upper and lower control arms, because the shaft/bushings can be greased. Now that I'm educated on how they work, I'm not sure..
The 72 and earlier control arms do NOT pivot on rubber bushings. The caps on the upper and lower control arms screw into the control arms with external threads and the shaft screws into the inside of the caps. The bushings only capture the grease coming out of the caps, and only serve that purpose and to keep dirt and moisture out of that area.
THose pickups have always rode real nice, maybe I am over thinking this...

raggedjim 01-17-2024 04:57 PM

DA68 wasn't too sure which the CPP a-arms were for, turns out they were for the earlier trucks, I had to change out the ball joints to make them work with my 73-87 spindles. They take standard press-in balljoints.

I've had 67-72 pickup and 73-87 pickups, and I can't tell the difference in ride. Some people claim they can, that the rubber bushings are smoother, but I could never tell the difference. I really don't think you can go wrong with either setup, these old chevys are great.

raggedjim 01-17-2024 08:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Went back and forth on where to put the proportioning valve. Finally decided to put it in the squarebody location since I already had one.

raggedjim 01-17-2024 08:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Then I went to the back and installed the adjustable track bar. I also had to remove the u-bolt nuts because someone forgot to put the shock relocator brackets in place. I blame my wife, even though she isn't doing any of the real work on this truck.

raggedjim 01-18-2024 08:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Started installing the gas tank. I had already removed the crossmember and will deal with any interference with the bed crossmembers when I get to them.

January 6, 2024

raggedjim 01-18-2024 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The straps will be bent the WRONG way when you get a new tank (bottom strap). You need to bend them like the top one (or something reasonably close).

raggedjim 01-18-2024 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An original blazer strap for reference.

jaros44sr 01-19-2024 07:31 AM

Roger, the tank looks to have the straight fill neck on it, don't know if it will cause you any problems when you try to install hose, but mine caused a kink, and ended up removing neck and installing original neck

Now is the time to fix it if you want before you put gas in it

Straps I got with tank didn't have J bolts so I used the original ones

Nice work so far

raggedjim 01-19-2024 10:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up Jim. I do have a couple blazer fill necks I could use if I need to but I'm hoping I can work something else out since I'll be running a stepside bed. I know the blazers have a body mount right where the fill is and I won't have to worry about that.

raggedjim 01-19-2024 07:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I took a minute to stand back with a critical eye and there were a couple things I didn't like. The first was the way the rear brake hose was mounted. Obviously it wasn't the correct one for the rearend I have, so I changed the mounting bracket. Now the hose isn't so near the shock.

raggedjim 01-19-2024 07:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I also hated the way the gas tank straps looked. So I took them off and spot welded them so they stay flat.

raggedjim 01-19-2024 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another full shot.

chevmn 01-20-2024 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 9276915)
I decided to rebuild the brake calipers I have. I know, rebuilds are cheap, but I like to learn and do so I have always rebuilt them myself. It's not that hard.

I also would rather rebuild vs. buying rebuilt or china new where I can. Recently I was having issues with my alternator, and guy at parts store said "I can have you a new one in the morning for $85". Rather than go that route, I tore it down and found the issue, and after a few bucks for a brush set, it was back in business (and likely will outlast the rebuilt $85 unit). I did consider buying a "new" AC alternator from amazon for about $35, and using for parts. I would like to support the local businesses, but they also need to be somewhat competitive, and that is rarely the case these days, usually not even in the ballpark.

raggedjim 01-20-2024 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevmn (Post 9278435)
I also would rather rebuild vs. buying rebuilt or china new where I can. Recently I was having issues with my alternator, and guy at parts store said "I can have you a new one in the morning for $85". Rather than go that route, I tore it down and found the issue, and after a few bucks for a brush set, it was back in business (and likely will outlast the rebuilt $85 unit). I did consider buying a "new" AC alternator from amazon for about $35, and using for parts. I would like to support the local businesses, but they also need to be somewhat competitive, and that is rarely the case these days, usually not even in the ballpark.

Well, when I buy cheap rebuilt parts I kinda expect them not to work well. If I rebuild them I kinda expect them to work, at least I know who to cuss if they don't! Recently they tore down an old building in my town that had been a starter alternator shop. They threw away tons of wound coils for starters, and other parts. I grabbed some stuff I could identify but most of it got scrapped. Labor $ is a killer for shops like that.

raggedjim 01-20-2024 08:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I did get the other fender off. Unfortunately trying to tighten to the breaking point stripped out the threads on the bolts! So I continued drilling them out, using a good drill with cutting fluid.

Scrapping undercoating, it is a joy.

Getter-Done 01-20-2024 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 9278510)
I did get the other fender off. Unfortunately trying to tighten to the breaking point stripped out the threads on the bolts! So I continued drilling them out, using a good drill with cutting fluid.

Scrapping undercoating, it is a joy.

Great Progress again today for you.

Myself :uhmk:
I am working on one of my better half projects.

I have used Wd-Forty or brake cleaner to soften the undercoating.:mm:

About the drilling of those bolts.

Here is my detailed process. :lol::haha::rolleyes:

#1= HSS (High Speed Steel) center drill the Bolt.
Link: https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...its;%20Grizzly

Just an Example link.

#2= Drill the head of the bolt 25% less than the diameter of the bolt.

This gives you 12.5% if you drilled Off Center.

Then only drill to a Depth of the head of the bolt.

#3= Then take an Impact drill/ air ratchet / air gun and try to tighten them till they break off.

#4= If they still spin/ Then I put Vice grips on the nut/ Then step up the drill size tell the head of the bolt goes away.

raggedjim 01-21-2024 11:34 AM

For the undercoating I use a combination of heatgun, scrapper, and brute stupidity that seems to work well. Then, after all the scrapping, I wipe everything down with lacquer thinner to soften the stubborn spots, and scrape again.

As far as the bolts, your process and mine are almost spot on, except I usually soften up the bolts with intermittent bouts of cussing.

raggedjim 01-21-2024 08:28 PM

Now on to some previous owner type crap. i started out loving the 60-66 chevy trucks, I still love them but have lately (last 25 years) focused on the 67-72 trucks. Nothing against the 67-72 guys, but, we are a bit spoiled. The earlier trucks guys tend to be a bit more more creative on getting things done. When I started out with a 64 chevy there were NO aftermarket parts for them. No fenders, no bumpers, no inner fenders, no NOTHING! Everything we did had to be a homebuilt solution.

One of the early things I did on my 64 was convert a 3-on-the-tree to a floor shifter column. I decided to do this on the 68. So here goes some old school tech...

raggedjim 01-21-2024 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My disassembled 3 on the tree column. The truck is a 505 exterior but the column is 503, I guess this makes sense, I have seen this before.

raggedjim 01-21-2024 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Then, this. I plan on running a floor shifter (auto by the way).

raggedjim 01-21-2024 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ain't nobody got time for column shifting... Some people wonder why I might keep the shifter shaft, well, you have to, it supports the upper column cover and gives the stack-up for the column. Trust me, you need it. But you don't need those ugly old shift levers, they gotta go.

wpsharpshooter 01-22-2024 03:57 PM

How warm has that shop been the last week or so? Its been cold as hell.. Im guessing your roads over there have probably been iced up too. Ours sure have lol.. Doesnt look like any of this weather has slowed you down

raggedjim 01-22-2024 10:44 PM

I have one of the Mrcool units and it usually keeps me around 66 out there in the winter (that's where I keep it set). On some of the coldest days I saw 63 in there first thing in the morning. As long as I can walk out there I'm going to get something done!

raggedjim 01-22-2024 10:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Started filling in the shifter hole with my favorite 2 part metal epoxy.

raggedjim 01-22-2024 10:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After more sanding, more jbweld, and some primer I ended up with this.

raggedjim 01-22-2024 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I replaced both of the bearings while I was in there and checked the wiring on the turn signal. Those bearings cost way too much for what they are. I'm sure there has to be a more cost effective (cheeper!) solution but those parts guys got me by the short ones.

raggedjim 01-23-2024 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dug through my paint cabinet, found some 503 in my favorite flavor, acrylic enamel. Hmmm, mixed in 2015, should be fine.

raggedjim 01-23-2024 10:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple of coats, column looks okay, collars need sanding and recoat. And, yes, there is a run on the column. I pretended I was a 1968 union worker who was just about to go on lunch when I painted it. Looks factory imperfect.

raggedjim 01-23-2024 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will sometimes sneak over to the squarebody side of the board to see what the cool kids are doing these days. I noticed a bunch of those guys (at least 3 of them) are putting jeep parts on their trucks. Hey, I like jeeps too, so I started looking for a place to fit up a jeep part. In particular this odd looking P.O.S. (piece of shaft) from a 84-94 Cherokee.

It looks like it fit right on there. Ha! If you will recall I painted up a 1972 steering box to use on the truck (it was there, I used it). The shaft on that box is 13/16" splined. The hole on the intermediate shaft is 3/4". So I broke out my reamers and miraculously I had a 13/16" reamer! If you are going to do this save yourself a bunch of reaming and use the 79 up steering box. It is already a 3/4" shaft. I also think some of the earlier trucks have 3/4" splined shafts but don't remember for sure.

raggedjim 01-24-2024 06:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Then I had to deal with the column side connection. The 67 and 68 don't come with an intermediate shaft like the 71-up, so first I cut the steering shaft. I left about 1.5-2" of the 3/4dd shaft at the end.

raggedjim 01-24-2024 06:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The column side of the intermediate shaft has a coupler for a 1"dd shaft (which the squarebody trucks have at the end of their columns). So somehow I had to get from 3/4"dd to 1"dd. Too bad nobody makes a bushing to do this... Ah but gm does! And it comes in a long enough piece that you can get 3 or 4 bushings from it.

The hardest part of this is melting out the plastic and driving the solid shaft out of the hollow shaft.

raggedjim 01-24-2024 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Welded the bushing to the shaft. It ain't going nowhere.

Like a glove!

raggedjim 01-24-2024 06:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A little paint, leaned it against the work bench, it fell. I locked the shop and came in the house. Tomorrow I have the opportunity to paint it again, I could use the practice. I really should have waited on painting the column, now I have to worry about scratching it until it's in the truck. Live, and hopefully, learn.