The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

mcbassin 01-21-2012 02:27 AM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Man, it sounds like you got a real deal on the engine. What's the story on the lights? Are they really bright? Are you gonna run them through a relay? Bug-eyed that's an interesting description. Looking straight on they look pretty normal. from the side they do stick out a little more than usual but not too much to bother me. I like the idea and I bet they are way bright than the old school ones.
I may steal the idea too when I get that far along.

VA72C10 01-21-2012 02:38 AM

Looking forward to the 6.0 install....and by the sounds of things you got a great deal! Were you able to get the comp/wiring/pedal or anything else with it?

oklalawnboy 01-21-2012 09:25 AM

Nice truck. Thanks for taking us along.

gringoloco 01-21-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5135808)
The bulb does have a little buggy appeal but overall looks/fits well.

I'm curious to see the light quality once it's been hooked up.

I have a feeling an LS project will be in my future and not on my '69. :D Can't wait to watch yours come together.

Hoping they're a functional and not just an aesthetic upgrade. Ready for yours, too, master of suspense :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonhall (Post 5135862)
I like it! Cant wait for more

Thanks, me too!
Quote:

Originally Posted by KRUSTY 51 (Post 5135973)
I have just spent the last 2 hours reading this build, and I can say very cool the way you were able to build and keep it from being in a million pieces.

Thanks! Didn't want it to end up like my Blazer project...
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5136202)
Man, it sounds like you got a real deal on the engine. What's the story on the lights? Are they really bright? Are you gonna run them through a relay? Bug-eyed that's an interesting description. Looking straight on they look pretty normal. from the side they do stick out a little more than usual but not too much to bother me. I like the idea and I bet they are way bright than the old school ones.
I may steal the idea too when I get that far along.

Paid $600 for the complete take-out; couldn't pass it up. Hoping they're brighter; already have done the "relay mod" and will do a comparison when I install them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5136224)
Looking forward to the 6.0 install....and by the sounds of things you got a great deal! Were you able to get the comp/wiring/pedal or anything else with it?

It's a good deal even if it needs a rebuild; hope it doesn't- for budget/timeline sake. Got the wiring, ECM, accessories, sensors, etc with it- no pedal as it is drive by cable, which I wanted for simplicity.
Quote:

Originally Posted by oklalawnboy (Post 5136418)
Nice truck. Thanks for taking us along.

Thanks for coming along :chevy:
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 01-21-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5135690)
So, what led me to the 'yard where I happened upon the engine, was the search for a pair of pigtails to hook up my latest upgrade. I blatantly stole this idea from 67cheby, who blatantly stole it from another member :lol: They are Jeep Wrangler JK light housings that take an H13(9008) bulb. I mocked one up today to see how it looks. I kinda like it, but then it kinda looks bugeyed, too... Opinions?

I LOVE IT ....i like the bubble look !! didnt happen to find an extra set of pigtails did you ? my Dodge store wants 19 apiece for them, the salvage i deal with doesnt have any JEEPS

67cheby 01-21-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5135808)
The bulb does have a little buggy appeal but overall looks/fits well.

I'm curious to see the light quality once it's been hooked up.

I have a feeling an LS project will be in my future and not on my '69. :D Can't wait to watch yours come together.

wait..."not on my 69"..do you have another project you arent telling us about ?????

gringoloco 01-21-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5136650)
I LOVE IT ....i like the bubble look !! didnt happen to find an extra set of pigtails did you ? my Dodge store wants 19 apiece for them, the salvage i deal with doesnt have any JEEPS

There are some new on eBay for $4 or so- Amazon, too. I got these from two different late model F-150s (should be on all newer F-series and Dodge trucks); they are like hens' teeth- I prolly looked at ten trucks to find two- and had to buy an engine in the process- good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5136654)
wait..."not on my 69"..do you have another project you arent telling us about ?????

You know he likes a surprise :lol:

Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 01-21-2012 12:17 PM

SWEET thanks..didnt know the fords were the same

gringoloco 01-22-2012 10:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the Jeep lights installed tonight. They are basically a direct fit, with the exception of swapping the sockets to H13/9008 style and minor trimming to the buckets to clear a 'nub' on the back of the headlights.

I used connectors from '05-up F*rd trucks. Blue=low beam, green=high beam, black=ground...

Midniteotto 01-22-2012 10:32 PM

So I guess the adjustments are the same? Next time I'm over, I'm gonna look you up. I would love yo see this truck in person. My mom works out ay the GM plant. I need to get my butt out there and see her soon....
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 01-22-2012 10:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a side-by-side of the new vs 'old light; Jeep on the left. Notice how the light is more spread out, with a defined upper cut-off, like most modern headlights. The second pic shows the old Sylvania sealed beams cast a lot of extra light just in front of the truck, out of sight from the driver's seat.

gringoloco 01-22-2012 10:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Overall, the new lights are more focused, and offer a better view of the sides of the road. They are not noticeably brighter than before, but I had basically the best I could do, with Xtra Vision bulbs and the relay mod. These would be a great upgrade over stock, and add a bit of a custom look- according to my wife :chevy:

gringoloco 01-22-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midniteotto (Post 5139716)
So I guess the adjustments are the same?

They're attached to the stock buckets, so they adjust exactly the same as they used to...

shadow1967 01-22-2012 11:09 PM

Good no GREAT thread. Tons of great info. Thanks!!!!!

jmedero 01-23-2012 12:16 AM

Ok so you stole it so I'm going to do it. Lol what year head light out of the jeep? 07-12 I'm guessing.
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 01-23-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow1967 (Post 5139805)
Good no GREAT thread. Tons of great info. Thanks!!!!!

Thank you! Most of these ideas come from other members here...
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmedero (Post 5139968)
Ok so you stole it so I'm going to do it. Lol what year head light out of the jeep? 07-12 I'm guessing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup, if that's the current body style known as JK. Good luck!

mcbassin 01-23-2012 12:38 AM

Nice work on the headlight install. I am definetly stealing this idea. I may have some questions when I get to that point. Hope you don't mind. Wiring is my weakness.
So the LS isn't going in this truck? Secret project?

gringoloco 01-23-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5140011)
Nice work on the headlight install. I am definetly stealing this idea. I may have some questions when I get to that point. Hope you don't mind. Wiring is my weakness.
So the LS isn't going in this truck? Secret project?

No problem- I don't mind helping at all- it's actually a pretty simple upgrade, as far as wiring goes :) The 6.0L is slated for my '70- the conversation was on 72BlckButy's 'secret' project. He likes to build suspense :lol:

VWBeamer 01-23-2012 01:19 PM

Little late finding this, it's scary because I agree with everything you did to the truck, and I usually find something about every build I don't like.

Great job:)

usmcchevy 01-24-2012 08:50 AM

Looks awesome! I may have to borrow the headlight idea, if I can find a good deal on some.

C10LIFE 01-29-2012 06:41 PM

Ditto to the others, great read, nice documentation, information, and pics. I came across this thread in an internet search for c10s with Showwheels Streeters ( a Centerline knockoff ) and have allways liked the hoodride style especially when done to this caliber.Great truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 01-29-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10LIFE (Post 5153807)
Ditto to the others, great read, nice documentation, information, and pics. I came across this thread in an internet search for c10s with Showwheels Streeters ( a Centerline knockoff ) and have allways liked the hoodride style especially when done to this caliber.Great truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure what a hoodride is, brings to mind hydros and spokes :lol: but thanks! The Centerline Streeters are actually Showwheels with the name machined off...
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 01-29-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWBeamer (Post 5140799)
Little late finding this, it's scary because I agree with everything you did to the truck, and I usually find something about every build I don't like.

Great job:)

Thanks a lot! :chevy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcchevy (Post 5142537)
Looks awesome! I may have to borrow the headlight idea, if I can find a good deal on some.

I think you'll be happy if you do. I may do an FAQ for the forum...
Posted via Mobile Device

yahoos 01-29-2012 08:04 PM

I seen you cruising this beast the other day i would really like to check it out sometime man

RdoubleU 01-30-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5153920)
Thanks a lot! :chevy:

I think you'll be happy if you do. I may do an FAQ for the forum...
Posted via Mobile Device

FAQ it up, I plan on searching around for this type setup when the time comes after seeing your results

I bet lots would benefit who aren't watching the build thread
Posted via Mobile Device