The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   70 Blazer Frame Off (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645076)

crappie66 01-04-2016 05:31 PM

Re: 70 Blazer Frame Off

I like the book

IronCanine 01-04-2016 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7431656)
That is an awesome present!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 7431753)
Very nice! Will you be selling autographed copies soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 7431945)
Too cool Brad. She's a keeper!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTENTA1 (Post 7434744)
That's awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crappie66 (Post 7434767)
I like the book

Thanks guys...my wife and the book are both awesome. No copies, but you guys have got the source material, feel free to have at it ;)

72K5CSTDarkOlive 01-04-2016 08:33 PM

That's awesome!

oldyellowssun 04-10-2016 01:08 PM

I hope my dad does as good as of a job on my truck as he did on yours.

oldyellowssun 04-10-2016 01:46 PM

Come check out my thread that we will be starting soon

IronCanine 04-10-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldyellowssun (Post 7555329)
I hope my dad does as good as of a job on my truck as he did on yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldyellowssun (Post 7555389)
Come check out my thread that we will be starting soon

I got a sneaking suspicion that it'll turn out great...as long as you two do it together. You know I'll be following.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 04-11-2016 04:50 PM

That's Rad!

IronCanine 06-11-2016 02:42 PM

A year ago this week. Excuse the hard edits...cut out my 4 year old (at the time) jumping around and re-christening the truck "StarGlow"...also sorry for the multiple deletions of this post. The embed was a challenge for some reason.

hemi43 06-11-2016 03:00 PM

She looks good !!!

IronCanine 06-11-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 7621895)
She looks good !!!

That was mile #9 arriving home for the first time all shiny. Even though she was fresh and new and square and tight, she was still a 10 and 2 machine on the highway. I wish I had known then about your shim solution to adjust the caster. That bit of info alone makes me want to do another one.

tristan 06-11-2016 04:24 PM

Gives me hope that someday mine will be paroled from its current 3 year-to-life sentence in restoration prison. Please get another one, we need some more action on the Blazer/Jimmy build forum.

chevycc1970 06-17-2016 10:31 PM

Beautiful Blazer! I am absolutely in love with the original build. I am restoring a 70 K-10 all original and the day I'm done with it in the next few months I am going Blazer shopping.

AnotherWs6 07-05-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 6953248)
Yep Dan...your build was one of my first subscriptions and I still reference it often. I knew your pic well before I took my own. Yours and many other documented experiences on here had made me leery about getting to the plumbing stage. Unfortunately, ILT resoundingly confirmed my fears...but hey we press on. The great part about this board is that if you spend a little time looking you can avoid a lot of problems. This one sucks because I saw it coming and still could not avoid it.

Bumping an old post, but lol - at least they are consistent with their inaccuracies.

IronCanine 07-05-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristan (Post 7621970)
Gives me hope that someday mine will be paroled from its current 3 year-to-life sentence in restoration prison. Please get another one, we need some more action on the Blazer/Jimmy build forum.

You most definitely will finish and it will be awesome. You started with a gem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevycc1970 (Post 7628155)
Beautiful Blazer! I am absolutely in love with the original build. I am restoring a 70 K-10 all original and the day I'm done with it in the next few months I am going Blazer shopping.

Thanks. She did turn out nice...I wouldn't mind finding a 70 K10 SWB myself...always half-looking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7644267)
Bumping an old post, but lol - at least they are consistent with their inaccuracies.

No doubt...a lot of fine stuff with in-line tube, but a lot of questionable customer service, several lines (non-stainless mind you) that just leaked for no appreciable reason that had to be hand bent...and absolutely no idea what a 1970 4WD rear brake line set should look like.

AnotherWs6 07-05-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 7094907)
I expected the Vintage Air box to be huge and take up all the under dash space. I didn't count on having to deal with the drain tube...I should have spent more time considering the VA set up. It's nice for what it is, but I might (might) try to put together a stock set up if I had it to do over....or buy a truck with air. ;)

Ewwww, is all that AC equipment actually in the glove box area or s it just the picture?

AnotherWs6 07-06-2016 10:38 AM

Just finished the thread, one of the best I have read anywhere. It was like reading a good story - which is what it really is right? As I was reading I was struck with this negative kind of feeling quite a few times. It was sort of wishing, disappointed, guilty feeling. Hard to describe, but it comes from the fact that my truck is nowhere near that nice and I know it never will be. Not jealousy. Like "if you worked a little harder you could......."

But then I saw your comment about it not being fair to wives, kids, etc. That hits home. You are absolutely right. These crazy kind of clean, perfect cars are OUR passion. "Our" being the owners of such things. WE are the ones who put all of the time, money, care worrying, research into them. Because it is OUR passion. Expecting your family members to have the same protective sense for the car can suck all of the joy out of owing it and using it with your family. You're stressed, possibly angry. They're nervous and trying not to do anything. I can see all of these things potentially happening. So I feel good about owning something that I am not super anal about. I took the family (wife and 2 year old daughter) out this past weekend for the second time in my truck. I let my daughter stand on the front seat. I let her try to find the ignition hole with the key. And it feels good to be in something fun where nobody is super paranoid about it. I had not thought about that or how important it is. I already have another vehicle that no one is allowed to look at. (Not literally) So is my truck perfect? Nope. And I don't want it to be!! But it sure was fun watching you make yours so.

IronCanine 08-12-2016 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7644294)
Ewwww, is all that AC equipment actually in the glove box area or s it just the picture?

Mostly, yep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7644976)
Just finished the thread, one of the best I have read anywhere. It was like reading a good story - which is what it really is right? As I was reading I was struck with this negative kind of feeling quite a few times. It was sort of wishing, disappointed, guilty feeling. Hard to describe, but it comes from the fact that my truck is nowhere near that nice and I know it never will be. Not jealousy. Like "if you worked a little harder you could......."

But then I saw your comment about it not being fair to wives, kids, etc. That hits home. You are absolutely right. These crazy kind of clean, perfect cars are OUR passion. "Our" being the owners of such things. WE are the ones who put all of the time, money, care worrying, research into them. Because it is OUR passion. Expecting your family members to have the same protective sense for the car can suck all of the joy out of owing it and using it with your family. You're stressed, possibly angry. They're nervous and trying not to do anything. I can see all of these things potentially happening. So I feel good about owning something that I am not super anal about. I took the family (wife and 2 year old daughter) out this past weekend for the second time in my truck. I let my daughter stand on the front seat. I let her try to find the ignition hole with the key. And it feels good to be in something fun where nobody is super paranoid about it. I had not thought about that or how important it is. I already have another vehicle that no one is allowed to look at. (Not literally) So is my truck perfect? Nope. And I don't want it to be!! But it sure was fun watching you make yours so.

Sorry I missed your posts. Thanks for the kind words. It is a good story and I had a ball. There is some romance to me in the fact that in my mind and really in this thread that truck will always be perfect. I'll never watch her fade. So I definitely got the best out of the experience and luckily covered my cost. Which is more than I could have done spending my spare time on a golf course. But to your other point, my favorite picture of this truck is one that I won't post because it's got my little girl in it...(I'm kind of funny about posting that kind of thing in an open forum which is probably silly)...but she's in the back seat, in our neighborhood, the top's off the Blazer, hair blowing, and she's laughing like crazy. It's perfect. It's what I think of most when I think of that truck...and a bigger part of the story than was represented here.

I don't think it's our last project...which fires me up, because now that little girl has gotten big enough to turn a wrench.

IronCanine 03-27-2017 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like the ole girl has had an LS swap.

smbrouss70 03-27-2017 11:12 AM

You had to know that was coming! It's still a fine Blazer!

IronCanine 03-27-2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7897990)
You had to know that was coming! It's still a fine Blazer!

Oh no doubt...but I'd love to have all those nice factory bits out of that engine bay: rad pipe, heat riser, 70 intake and SMC restored Quadrajet, even the breather, radiator, shroud and valve covers....a lot nice pieces in there. But I have no doubt it gets down the road a heck of a lot better now.

jaros44sr 03-27-2017 07:20 PM

I agree, all that hard work and expense, and searching, just to be thrown aside like a dirty dish clothe. Sad, but you did your part, shame everyone doesn't like original

IronCanine 03-27-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 7898400)
I agree, all that hard work and expense, and searching, just to be thrown aside like a dirty dish clothe. Sad, but you did your part, shame everyone doesn't like original

Don't get me wrong. Delmo does amazing things. I am a fan. I'm also pretty sure that that engine bay is still pretty cool to look at. I do as they say, have some skin in the game on this one--and hope that those nice factory parts weren't scrapped. I can't imagine that they would be. She's now just an old girlfriend that I follow on Instagram....and hey whaddaya know, she got a boob job.

tristan 03-28-2017 07:17 AM

Ouch, that's like spray-painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa or knocking the headdress off of King Tut's burial mask. This is disrespectful of fine craftsmanship as well as crazy economically. That shop rightfully paid top dollar for your truck because it was what it was.

At least you have my pallid imitation of your truck as a memento and tribute. Now I will brace myself for the tiresome "it's his truck and he can do anything he wants with it" stuff. No, sometimes you can't and shouldn't.

hemi43 03-28-2017 01:12 PM

On a side note;
I put a 5.3 in my Blazer, but I'm reluctant to call it an "LS" swap because technically it's not an LS engine, it's a Vortec LM7 to be exact. Is calling all Gen3 engines "LS" acceptable? Just wondering !!

Lieferson 03-28-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 7899099)
On a side note;
I put a 5.3 in my Blazer, but I'm reluctant to call it an "LS" swap because technically it's not an LS engine, it's a Vortec LM7 to be exact. Is calling all Gen3 engines "LS" acceptable? Just wondering !!

I think most people would agree its just easier to call it an LS engine or ls swap. Only sticklers get upset about minor details such as that. Hell i think it would be cool to throw some 327 badges on the side even IMO!