The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   my 65 fleetside build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=442370)

greg65 06-11-2014 09:50 AM

Re: my 65 fleetside build

If you ever decide to come over to Huntsville and race hit me up. I would like to meet you and see your truck in person.

Looking forward to more updates

TJ's Chevy 06-11-2014 10:13 AM

Looking really nice! :metal:

flips72 06-11-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6707180)
Thanks Flips
One nasty set up there.

your welcome and thanks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 6707478)
Sounds like the new engine should be a strong runner. Sorry to hear about the differential carnage. It sounds like you're going to give the 12 bolt another chance before going with a 9 inch?

If you have a few minutes would you mind posting your engine build info in this thread I started?

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612016

thanks , and I have to give the 12 bolt one more shot , just one of those gotta know things. I posted my build on the 406 build thread, thanks for introducing me to it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubnova (Post 6707679)
WOW! Great build :metal: I just saw the thread and went through the whole thing and it's great. I used a new 9" in my 67 nova and have nothing but problems (whining gears) out of it. It seems that the aftermarket gears are cut different than the older Ford gears. I have had Heidt's, Johns 9" factory, DTS and Strange set up center sections with new gears for me. They all whine! I will be building a 8.8 or a Dana 60 for the Nova and maybe one for the 65 C10. Good luck and don't forget a driveshaft loop on that very nice truck.

thanks for the kind words and the info on the 9 inch, I have seen the 8.8 take a lot of abuse one of my buddy's had a fox body with a high compression 406 sbc and a glide that ran 630's on the motor leaving on a brake and never had a minutes problem with the 8.8 but he wasn't pushing the weight I am either lol, hard to get a brick off the line without breaking something.
Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 6708620)
great to hear you got the motor built, to bad about braking stuff! but atleast it didn't cause a lot more damage, an glad you got that fixed too!!

thanks chad, more power means more carnage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 6715765)
If you ever decide to come over to Huntsville and race hit me up. I would like to meet you and see your truck in person.

Looking forward to more updates

sure thing, did you get settled in yet and how's the truck coming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6715796)
Looking really nice! :metal:

thanks T.J.

greg65 06-12-2014 11:45 AM

we've got a few more things to get iron out and then back to work on the truck. Other than that it's great to be back home.

Bomp 08-14-2014 11:46 PM

Checkin in on that new tire roasting motor.

flips72 08-16-2014 03:59 PM

went last night to the local test and tune, installed a set of m/t pro drag radials and went a 7.10 at 95.62 mph. I think with a little more tuning I might get a high 6 out of it. love the m/t cot a 1.5 60 foot, think its pulling the left tire a little

Alan's Classic 08-16-2014 08:16 PM

Wish mine would tote a tire. Haha

Modges'66 08-16-2014 11:02 PM

Very nice!!!
I could tell a while back that a tire in the air was in the not so far future!!!
Weather it was to come from a blue bottle or a different motor I knew that it was very close by!
Nice job!!!

flips72 08-26-2014 10:35 PM

we posted a few videos on you tube at the dragstrip, just type in flips72 and they will come up, I think there is 4 of them, we tried to put them on here but didn't have any luck. hope you enjoy them bomp.

Modges'66 08-26-2014 11:06 PM

Nice, Very Nice!!!
Sounds Awesome, & launchin' pretty good!

likaroc13 08-26-2014 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6818439)
Nice, Very Nice!!!

x2! Not only does it look good, but it really goes too. :bo2:

jhrusk 08-27-2014 03:18 PM

truck is flying and looks great as well.those moter or n2o passes?Either way it is hauling

Alan's Classic 08-27-2014 09:32 PM

Looks and sounds great.

Bomp 08-27-2014 10:51 PM

Wow!!
You've got that truck DIALED IN

Blowin off the competitions doors. And they thought they had a chance. ha

flips72 08-30-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 6804484)
Wish mine would tote a tire. Haha

bring it up here and well throw a little blue bottle in the back :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6804709)
Very nice!!!
I could tell a while back that a tire in the air was in the not so far future!!!
Weather it was to come from a blue bottle or a different motor I knew that it was very close by!
Nice job!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6818439)
Nice, Very Nice!!!

thanks modge, cant wait to see you wasting some rubber.
Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6818521)
x2! Not only does it look good, but it really goes too. :bo2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhrusk (Post 6819206)
truck is flying and looks great as well.those moter or n2o passes?Either way it is hauling

those were all on a 150 shot , truck runs 7,80 on the motor.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 6819738)
Looks and sounds great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6819872)
Wow!!
You've got that truck DIALED IN

Blowin off the competitions doors. And they thought they had a chance. ha

were getting it there, finally broke the 6's last night with a 6.98, and my wife says I'm not prejudice since there is a chevy, dodge, ford and a import:lol:

Modges'66 08-30-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 6823221)
were getting it there, finally broke the 6's last night with a 6.98, and my wife says I'm not prejudice since there is a chevy, dodge, ford and a import:lol:

So, if I am understanding correctly...Your wife is saying that you are not prejudice because you spanked another Chevy, Dodge, Ford, and an Import?
Nice concept, I like!!!

chad64chevy 08-30-2014 09:28 PM

truck sounds awesome! looks like you treed them all too, now that is really awesome!!

SCOTI 08-31-2014 01:00 PM

Ok.... I dug back through because I couldn't remember the specifics.
What are the specs on the motor/drivetrain?

flips72 09-03-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6823629)
So, if I am understanding correctly...Your wife is saying that you are not prejudice because you spanked another Chevy, Dodge, Ford, and an Import?
Nice concept, I like!!!

exactly ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 6823778)
truck sounds awesome! looks like you treed them all too, now that is really awesome!!

thanks chad, cant wait for some updates on yours
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 6824478)
Ok.... I dug back through because I couldn't remember the specifics.
What are the specs on the motor/drivetrain?

406, gm 4 bolt block studded mains, scat 4340 crank, scat i beam 4340 rods with 7/16 cap bolts, keith black icon forged pistons, king bearings, total seal rings, lunati solid roller 626 lift with a 109 lobe seperation, double roller timimg set with torington bearing, cloyes timing cover with adjustable cam button, dart pro 1 with 215 runners, 205 160 valves, comp push rods, comp gold series rockers, victor jr intake with a stealth performance worked 750 mighty demon, cheater nitrous kit, msd 6al digital ignition with billet dist, and msd dry coil, trans is a turbo 350, kolene steeles and red clutches, hardened sprag and a tci super street fighter stall with baloon plates, 3 1/2 inch driveshaft with 1350 spicer joints and a truck 12 bolt with factory posi, 411 usa gears and strange girdle and moser 1350 yoke. stock suspension with the exception of drop springs and spindles. i think that about covers it.

SCOTI 09-03-2014 03:24 PM

Nice combo!
I never realized this was a go-fast ride.

flips72 09-03-2014 06:29 PM

thanks scoti, i have always been a hot rodder at heart, i might be going to tame it down some this winter and go ls fuel injected with ac. i have a rough 66 bbw thats itching for the go fast goodies and i can lighten it up alot, where i dont want to mess with the red truck to much, but its going to be hard to support two projects at once and then the wife is wanting a first gen camaro to top it all off.

Modges'66 09-03-2014 09:35 PM

Flip, in my opinion, you should build the 1st gen Camaro for your wife first, if you want to go fast for cheap anyway!
On a side note, about a month or so ago, I rode in a friends '68 Camaro for the first time...A full tube frame, aluminum interior, Willwood brakes, four-link 9 inch, top notch, all-steel car...with a ZZ502 crate-motor that is basically stock except for cam, intake & dominator carb.
the motor dyno'd at 576 h.p. and runs low 10's in the quarter...I know, hard to believe.
Now I am not a drag racer, Have done it in a few cars that I have owned (LS-6 Chevelle, Buick Grand National and assorted Corvettes) But they were childs-play compared to this.... Nor am I up to speed with all of the electronic gadgetry, i.e trans-brake, rev-limiter b.s, electronic nitrous controls, etc, but I can truly tell you that ...Never, NEVER, have I experienced something so brutal as a launch in that car!
HOLY-F! we did it several times on a country road, and I could sense the tire spin and smell the rubber from the 19.50 x 32 M&H Racemasters way past 100 m.p.h.
Now I am not sayin that you need to make your wife's camaro that fast, but with some of your go-fast parts, it could be real healthy, and you could go LS with the new racer truck!
What are you thinkin about now? LOL!

Dubnova 09-11-2014 09:10 AM

Flip, Would you mind telling me what color RED you used on your truck? Your build thread is really nice and like what you did with your truck and the stance. :metal:Nothing like a red truck with shiny wheels and dang hotrod motor! Something tells me you smile every time you hit the key. :lol:

flips72 09-14-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6829228)
Flip, in my opinion, you should build the 1st gen Camaro for your wife first, if you want to go fast for cheap anyway!
On a side note, about a month or so ago, I rode in a friends '68 Camaro for the first time...A full tube frame, aluminum interior, Willwood brakes, four-link 9 inch, top notch, all-steel car...with a ZZ502 crate-motor that is basically stock except for cam, intake & dominator carb.
the motor dyno'd at 576 h.p. and runs low 10's in the quarter...I know, hard to believe.
Now I am not a drag racer, Have done it in a few cars that I have owned (LS-6 Chevelle, Buick Grand National and assorted Corvettes) But they were childs-play compared to this.... Nor am I up to speed with all of the electronic gadgetry, i.e trans-brake, rev-limiter b.s, electronic nitrous controls, etc, but I can truly tell you that ...Never, NEVER, have I experienced something so brutal as a launch in that car!
HOLY-F! we did it several times on a country road, and I could sense the tire spin and smell the rubber from the 19.50 x 32 M&H Racemasters way past 100 m.p.h.
Now I am not sayin that you need to make your wife's camaro that fast, but with some of your go-fast parts, it could be real healthy, and you could go LS with the new racer truck!
What are you thinkin about now? LOL!

dang modge sounds like you have had some cool cars in your life, as far as the camaro goes its got to be lady friendly if you know what i mean:lol:. i would love to ride in the camaro, just cant get enough adrenline.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubnova (Post 6838723)
Flip, Would you mind telling me what color RED you used on your truck? Your build thread is really nice and like what you did with your truck and the stance. :metal:Nothing like a red truck with shiny wheels and dang hotrod motor! Something tells me you smile every time you hit the key. :lol:

the color is victory red, and thanks for the kind words, i think the smile comes when i hit the nitrous button more than either other time.

flips72 12-05-2014 06:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
just a quick peek at what followed me home today, another 65 bbw, thinking about building it for the wife, I will start a build thread shortly I hope, trying to build another shop for parking so I can get back in mine to work.