The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533920)

Ta2Don 04-19-2014 10:50 AM

Re: Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwlambert1701 (Post 6636031)
What type of paint did you use on the valve covers. I really like that look.

Chevy Orange Engine Paint, not sure of brand... May be going a different route... PM Sent

Ta2Don 04-21-2014 02:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
:hot: UPDATE ALERT!!! :hot:

What a day… Started in around 1030 and finished around 2030...:metal:
Started the day getting the hood for the 90 model painted flat black in order to free up room in the shed to make further progress on the '65...:uhmk:
Then decided to get the radiator core repaired and in primer…

Gonna stretch this out over a few replies, so bear with me...:sumo:
Here are a few pics to get things going…
The work area…
The hood installed with the '65 patiently waiting…
The hood installed...;)

Ta2Don 04-21-2014 02:18 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The saga continues...:metal:

The Pizza Box that gave it's life for the cause...:haha: McMurphy gets the credit for the Pizza Box idea!!!:gi:
The cardboard pattern…
The Metal Patch being fabricated...:uhmk:
a couple installed shots…

Ta2Don 04-21-2014 02:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
… More to come...:mm:

Inner Fenders are all welded and ground, waiting for me to finish prepping for primer...:cool:

…and along the way I reached a milestone… Killed my first roll of Welding Wire...:metal: Here's a pic of the empty roll just because…:D

Thanks again Jeff daBears for the patch panels, I can finally call them installed...

Ta2Don 04-21-2014 02:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally…

For those of you who have just tuned in, or somehow or another missed it… The PO decided black paint with rainbow glitter was cool...:no: This is what goes through my head whenever I see any of that paint...:fry: The reason for this tirade… the idiot PO even sprayed this crap on the radiator support… After this epic day…
IT IS GONE!!!:bann:

Lastly… Had a chance to use my new to me Drill Press… Here it is near my wall of toys… small collection of Hot Wheels and such...:jest:

Hope you Guyz and Galz had a Great Easter!!! :ennyd:

dwcardfan 04-21-2014 08:50 AM

Nice work Don!!!!!

McMurphy 04-21-2014 08:59 AM

That pizza box did you up right !! That patch you made looks better than the one I did for that same area on my p-side inner fender, Rock on Man !!

You are going to LOVE that drill press, it really helps to step up your game :metal:

I love Hot Wheels, and all the others like them, I got my first Hot Wheels set when I was 7 and it was the Snake and Mongoose special edition (sure wish I still had that !!) :metal:

You may want to bite the bullet and get the 10lb spool of wire next instead of those small ones... I always buy two at a time because there is little more fustrating than running out of wire in the middle of a weld session, especially on a day or time the supplier is closed.

Good to see some updates on your build man !!

TJ's Chevy 04-21-2014 10:23 AM

Good work brotha! :metal:

CRGRS 66 04-21-2014 10:37 AM

:metal:

1963c-10 04-21-2014 11:03 AM

Nice work on the metal patches!!

chad64chevy 04-21-2014 06:44 PM

great work on the radiator support! I ended up buying some 1.5" c channel and redid the whole thing, as mine looked a lil weak and thought it would break off or fall apart it I just did that same as you have done! the whole middle of mine was pitted and rusty, it was bad

Ta2Don 04-21-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan (Post 6638866)
Nice work Don!!!!!

Thanks Man!!! Gotta get to Strawberry soon!!!:uhmk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6638880)
That pizza box did you up right !! That patch you made looks better than the one I did for that same area on my p-side inner fender, Rock on Man !!

You are going to LOVE that drill press, it really helps to step up your game :metal:

I love Hot Wheels, and all the others like them, I got my first Hot Wheels set when I was 7 and it was the Snake and Mongoose special edition (sure wish I still had that !!) :metal:

You may want to bite the bullet and get the 10lb spool of wire next instead of those small ones... I always buy two at a time because there is little more fustrating than running out of wire in the middle of a weld session, especially on a day or time the supplier is closed.

Good to see some updates on your build man !!

Swapped over to my .030 wire to finish the day and do one small job today...:metal:
My mom worked as a Nurse's Aid when I was probably 5 to 7 years old and the hospital she worked at had a vending machine that sold Hot Wheels!:metal: I still remember the little cars and how cool it was that she brought those to me, and man how I wish I would've held on to a lot of those...:waah:
Thanks for checking in… I saw on TV earlier that Fairbanks was up to
52F today!!! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6638976)
Good work brotha! :metal:

Appreciate the compliment TJ… :bann:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 6639002)

Glad to see ya back Craigerr!:metal::metal::metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6639048)
Nice work on the metal patches!!

Thanks, and you're 348 is going to be :jdp:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 6639612)
great work on the radiator support! I ended up buying some 1.5" c channel and redid the whole thing, as mine looked a lil weak and thought it would break off or fall apart it I just did that same as you have done! the whole middle of mine was pitted and rusty, it was bad

Fun stuff...:metal: Are you going to the Tallequah Car Show with Sigshooter and Clem? I plan on being there!!!

likaroc13 04-21-2014 10:11 PM

Nice work Don! Good to see you making some progress again.

Ta2Don 04-21-2014 10:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today was slow in the progress dept… after a bit of organizing in my shed, I pulled the antenna, OK, cut away the antenna, and filled the hole...:mm:
The antenna was a cheap aftermarket rig that had rusted and made normal removal impossible, so I grabbed my trusty cut-off wheel and removed the stubborn thing...:sumo:

Here are a few pics…
Antenna Hole
Ready to weld with plug in place
After grinding… need to skim coat some glaze coat then prime
Teaser Pic with Emblem….:metal:

Ta2Don 04-21-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6639945)
Nice work Don! Good to see you making some progress again.

Thanx Man!!! Feels good to be pushing forward...:thumbs:

TJ's Chevy 04-21-2014 10:35 PM

Holy Fire! :metal::metal::metal::devil::devil::devil::chevy::chevy::chevy:

Grizz1963 04-22-2014 04:36 AM

Patch panel and your welding looks good Don

Also welding up my aerial hole when I get to it.

Got Nicolas PC uploading the last 150 photos while at work, so will update Steam and Traction show pics when I get time. Out of town two days this week.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=625828

Amazed that I took over 500 photos over the two days.

Yesterday was just awesome.

My favourite comment from a 5 year old in his dads arms, looking at my trucks rear was : "Daddyyyy.... Can I jump on the trampoline?"

Got to love kids.

McMurphy 04-22-2014 11:25 AM

Heyyyyyy that emblem is going to look pretty freeking cool there man !! I have got to remember to make sure Jay sees that :metal:

chad64chevy 04-22-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6639944)

Fun stuff...:metal: Are you going to the Tallequah Car Show with Sigshooter and Clem? I plan on being there!!!

I'm not sure if I can make it or not, I might have to work seeing that we had Friday off last week for good Friday, I might have to work Friday and Saturday this week to make it up!

did find out the co-owner of the place I work at has drag cars and a pit crew! everyone at work was giving pass to (throwdown in t-town) may 16-17 at the Tulsa raceway park, 3101 N. Garnett, Tulsa, ok. gates open Friday at 5pm. and Saturday at 9am

Ta2Don 04-22-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6640011)
Holy Fire! :metal::metal::metal::devil::devil::devil::chevy::chevy::chevy:

Thanks TJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 6640340)
Patch panel and your welding looks good Don

Also welding up my aerial hole when I get to it.

Got Nicolas PC uploading the last 150 photos while at work, so will update Steam and Traction show pics when I get time. Out of town two days this week.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=625828

Amazed that I took over 500 photos over the two days.

Yesterday was just awesome.

My favourite comment from a 5 year old in his dads arms, looking at my trucks rear was : "Daddyyyy.... Can I jump on the trampoline?"

Got to love kids.

Thanks for the kind words mate...:metal: Gotta love a kid's viewpoint!:bann:

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6640797)
Heyyyyyy that emblem is going to look pretty freeking cool there man !! I have got to remember to make sure Jay sees that :metal:

Please do, and thanks for checking in...;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 6641414)
I'm not sure if I can make it or not, I might have to work seeing that we had Friday off last week for good Friday, I might have to work Friday and Saturday this week to make it up!

did find out the co-owner of the place I work at has drag cars and a pit crew! everyone at work was giving pass to (throwdown in t-town) may 16-17 at the Tulsa raceway park, 3101 N. Garnett, Tulsa, ok. gates open Friday at 5pm. and Saturday at 9am

Hope you can make it, and if not, Enjoy the drags!!!:metal:

Alan's Classic 04-22-2014 09:35 PM

I love the emblem! Awesome!

Jeff La 04-22-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 6641701)

+1 Looks great

markeb01 04-22-2014 10:44 PM

All the welding and patching is inspiring! That emblem looks fantastic, and will really draw attention when the truck is all back together!

clemdaddy 04-23-2014 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6641820)
All the welding and patching is inspiring! That emblem looks fantastic, and will really draw attention when the truck is all back together!

likewise...
nice work pal.

Ta2Don 04-23-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 6641701)

Thank You Sir! :thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 6641804)
+1 Looks great

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6641820)

Day Made!!!:bann: Thanks for looking in Mark!!!:mm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6642099)
likewise...
nice work pal.

Thanks Clem! Looking forward to Saturday!:metal: Passed on that 64 in KY, too far gone for the money...:waah: