The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Not Another Rebuild Thread.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=487100)

VeronikA 12-25-2012 05:00 PM

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Very nice video!!!! Hahaha and cool comments :)
Love it!!!
Hope you having an amazing Christmas time with your fam and friends!!!! Keep us posted! Very cool! Thanks a lot for sharing!

flips72 12-25-2012 08:50 PM

great video:metal: i need the santa ,i can explain shirt:lol: hope yal have a wonderful and blessed christmas, i know it will be special with your son there.

McMurphy 12-28-2012 12:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5776782)
merry christmas mike from my family to yours, the wife likes the videos! did your wife dye her hair? i thought it was blonde last yr, when you guys went to the junkyards! anyways merry christmas and happy new years!

Nah she has had black hair since '05 when she got back from Iraq.
Chistmas was cool, looking forward to New Years though, starting tomorrow !!!
Happy New Year to you too Chad !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5776907)
Sounds like an awesome plan... When I retired from Uncle Sam's Air Force, I already had my business in place and have been at it since. Though the hours can be long, it's a joy to work for myself and my family. God Bless you and yours this coming year!

Thanks, the plan goes way deeper in detail than just that tho.
Instead of building a house to retire in, we are building a retirement house. It will be set up to be navigated by wheelchairs with all that old folk detail (faucet handles instead of knobs, stuff like that) with an "in-law" apartment for a live in hospice care provider. No sense in building your dream house just to end up in some "retirement community/assisted living" set up that is lining someone elses pockets with money.

If you are not playing this game of life to have the winning end move, then you may be just a spectator. As far as I can tell it is all about the end game!

But anyways... enough geariatric philosophising!!

I got my new 6 lug rotors in, thanks to a link from Joe231 !!
Installed them today, with a certain amount of trepidation... I got them so I would not have mismatched rims, and so I would not have to swap out my rear axles to 5 lug.
But....
As I was looking at them the other day, I remembered that they did not have disc brakes in the mid '60s and my experience with stock rims taught me they do not fit over disc calipers.
I dont love the rims I have, but I dont mind them either, and dont want to spend too much more on shipping up here to Alaska when I have serviceable rims on hand.

The 5 lug that came with the set up from the donor front cross member.
Attachment 1032009

Oooooo shiney !!
Attachment 1032010

One red caliper goes ~bling~
Attachment 1032011

The moment of truth, and sigh of relief..... the rims that came with the truck fit !!
Attachment 1032015
There isnt enough clearance between the calipers and the rims to go mudding, but I am Ok with not indulging in any of that in this truck !!

Thanks for looking, hopefully I can get some more progress done this weekend with a video as well....

Ta2Don 12-28-2012 10:30 AM

We still have some of that white stuff, seen on your wheel pic, hanging around for another day or so...:lol: Still tuned in for progress reports and the videos of course :metal:

McMurphy 01-07-2013 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It was a pretty productive weekend here.
Wife took off all day Saturday which left me uninterrupted in the garage for almost 14 hours.... no wonder I was so hungry !!

My neighbor Daniel helped me check and wire everything except the guage panel (which I dont have yet) and the steering column (which I have not re-installed yet) inside the cab. So everything electrical in there works so far; lights, wipers, heater ect.

I am getting close to welding in the dash extension and wanted to get all that wiring done and ready while I still had plenty of room to work with up under the dash.

I also finished my transmission door mod (video to follow on that) and got some major progress on the dash extension done (photos to follow later as I get that closer to finished).

Then to wrap it all up yesterday I laid down the Herculiner inside the cab.
Let me tell you, this has been a long time coming !!

After a good vaccum I wiped the whole area with some grease and wax remover. It was the closest thing I had to the suggested prep (acetone et al)
Attachment 1037786

Then it was one coat with the paint brush, then a second coat with the roller.
Attachment 1037787

It looks so dang good I think I will leave it at that, unless I gouge it or something and need to repair it.

So until that Herculiner dries (been 24 hours now, but it is only 50 degrees in the garage and getting colder outside) I am mostly at a stand still. I dont even want to stir up any dust down there at this time.

Thanks for looking !!!

Ta2Don 01-08-2013 12:09 AM

Very Nice!!! Another step or so closer, can't wait to get there myself!!!

Bomp 01-08-2013 12:19 AM

Dang that's a nice job. Very very well done Sir!

Gunster89 01-08-2013 07:23 AM

this build is sweet keep up the good work cant wait to see how you are going to set up your system

piratexpress1369a 01-08-2013 10:46 AM

did you do the belly side too or just cab?

McMurphy 01-08-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5803313)
Very Nice!!! Another step or so closer, can't wait to get there myself!!!

Yep it was almost dry this morning when I left for work, so if today is an easy day (as in I get off work on time) I may be able to get some more stuff done tonight!
I bumped up the heat in the garage before I left too, so with luck that will help it cure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5803335)
Dang that's a nice job. Very very well done Sir!

Thanks Greg, I appreciate that !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunster89 (Post 5803634)
this build is sweet keep up the good work cant wait to see how you are going to set up your system

Ok this made me laugh, there are quite a few builds that I think are wayyyy cool and have told the builders as much, but I think this is the first time someone has said my build is sweet. :lol:
That is very confirming, and motivating !!! I am sincerely glad you like it.
I too am looking forward to installing the stereo. last weekend I was actually drawing out the plan for the cab lower back panel that will mount the Amp, Condenser, and house the sub woofer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 5803820)
did you do the belly side too or just cab?

No sir.
If I had had the room I would have taken the cab off the frame, and would have done the bottom as well. Sadly that is not the case this time around. For certain though the next one I do like this will get the full treatment like I have seen others do on this site (presuming I have the shop to do it in by then)

I do still have 1/2 a can of the Herculiner left, so if it does not dry out between now and then, I am thinking of doing my wheel wells with it front and back.....

truckzilla 01-08-2013 06:59 PM

Hey Mike,
Finally had the time to go back and catch up on the last few weeks of postings. Thanks for the Christmas video. It brought back some fond memories of when I lived in Fairbanks and at Eielson. I don't think I'd recognize North Pole from when I saw it last in '71. The cab coating looks like it turned out great. Its also good for the inside of doors and cab roofs.
Well, keep after it and keep inspiring the rest of us who use the excuse of its too cold to do anything!

Larry

clemdaddy 01-08-2013 09:36 PM

really like the bed liner stuff. it dries tough and looks cool... plus in takes paint.
nice job applying it...

allaboutchevelles 01-08-2013 09:45 PM

Very nice job on the inside of the floor. I been thinking about doing my floor also. I guess you have sold me on this one. be picking up some of this soon. Great Job!

coulter 01-08-2013 10:49 PM

That floor looks good man!! Keep it up
Posted via Mobile Device

62 Barnfind 01-08-2013 11:11 PM

Floor looks good!

McMurphy 01-10-2013 12:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I just ordered a bunch of stuff for this truck, my next big orders will have to be the guages, carpet, and exhaust manifolds.

However, I am not sure which manifolds to order.
I have pretty much decided on rams horn style.
Summit has 2 kinds that are in my price range, and application info to the best that I could determine on their site says they should both work.

This is my motor, it is a 1985 sbc 350
Attachment 1038927

I REALLY like the sweep and looks of these, but at the price, they are out of reach I think...but they are kinda cool looking, and you know I am all about some coolness.
Attachment 1038925

These would be my truely second choice (but due to $$ they defalt to first choice because they are almost as clean looking as those above and utilitarian.
Attachment 1038924

These would be my last choice, just of because that "wing" or angle part on the one end. Unless it serves a function that I absolutely need I really dont like the looks of these as much.
Attachment 1038923

I could really use some feedback on this please.
I was just going to send this in a message to a couple of you guys, but figured it would be more fun to toss it out there for public opinion and concensus!

:fb:

Thanks guys !!!

clemdaddy 01-10-2013 12:33 PM

the engine looks great and i think the pricey first choice would be my pick. what's a little extra money when coolness is on the line.

likaroc13 01-10-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5808363)
So I just ordered a bunch of stuff for this truck, my next big orders will have to be the guages, carpet, and exhaust manifolds.

However, I am not sure which manifolds to order.
I have pretty much decided on rams horn style.
Summit has 2 kinds that are in my price range, and application info to the best that I could determine on their site says they should both work.

This is my motor, it is a 1985 sbc 350

I REALLY like the sweep and looks of these, but at the price, they are out of reach I think...but they are kinda cool looking, and you know I am all about some coolness.

These would be my truely second choice (but due to $$ they defalt to first choice because they are almost as clean looking as those above and utilitarian.

These would be my last choice, just of because that "wing" or angle part on the one end. Unless it serves a function that I absolutely need I really dont like the looks of these as much.

I could really use some feedback on this please.
I was just going to send this in a message to a couple of you guys, but figured it would be more fun to toss it out there for public opinion and concensus!

:fb:

Thanks guys !!!

I like that top style as well. That's the kind Dino uses on his stuff, except I think he gets his from Speedway Motors. The third style, with the "wing," is for mounting the alternator on early engines without the holes machined into the heads. Not the best, but here's a pic of mine for reference. Although the alternator is removed, you can see the "wing" and the absence of holes in the head:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0/100_2655.jpg

truckzilla 01-10-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 5808371)
the engine looks great and i think the pricey first choice would be my pick. what's a little extra money when coolness is on the line.

Ditto for me. That is a sweet looking motor Murph!

Have you thought about the second option and going at the tabs and unnecessary bumps and dingies with a carbide grinder and a little flap wheel action? I saw it done on one of those hot rod / you can do it type shows where they smoothed out a pair of standard cast iron manifolds and they came out looking pretty nice!

But again, what's money compared to the cool factor?:lol:

aggie91 01-10-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckzilla (Post 5808497)
Ditto for me. That is a sweet looking motor Murph!

Have you thought about the second option and going at the tabs and unnecessary bumps and dingies with a carbide grinder and a little flap wheel action? I saw it done on one of those hot rod / you can do it type shows where they smoothed out a pair of standard cast iron manifolds and they came out looking pretty nice!

But again, what's money compared to the cool factor?:lol:

I agree here, if money is really an issue and you have some time to spend, grind/cut off all the tabs, bumps and things and smooth out that second set, coat them with eastwoods high temp stainless coating and they would look good.

...but still not as cool as the first choice...

LVPhotos 01-10-2013 03:17 PM

Is the Herculiner a hard finish(Line-x) or a softer rubber finish(Rhino)? I used the Rustoleum out of the can for my welding wagon and it was like a ruff powdercoat. Looking for somthing to coat cab bottom like undercoat with out the extra mess.

travz500 01-10-2013 03:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine have the wing on one side here is what they look like
Posted via Mobile Device

travz500 01-10-2013 03:54 PM

wish I could figure out how to make them upright tho sorry bout that

Bomp 01-10-2013 04:57 PM

Do what I do Murph. Enie,meanie,miney,moe.
Or
Since its a one time purchase I go for the me factor.
How much are you going to show them off?
Posted via Mobile Device
If I show stuff its something Im proud of.

Jmorales3181 01-10-2013 07:12 PM

Took a while to go through all of your pages. Your doing a nice job keep it up
Posted via Mobile Device