The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Knomadd '71 SWB C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=542821)

knomadd 01-04-2017 12:51 PM

Re: Knomadd '71 SWB C-10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilb88 (Post 7814386)
Firewall looks great!

Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7814390)
What color do you plan for the inner fenders? Everything is looking great!

Thanks Vic, the inner fenders will be the factory 510 Medium Blue, just like the firewall.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckLee (Post 7814401)
looks amazing. You've inspired me to attempt much more for my engine bay than originally planned. thanks

Thanks! Good luck, and sorry for the additional work you're about to attempt. :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1971 (Post 7814438)
Hi Duane,
Looking great I love that color of blue.I had a question about your brake lines that run up to your wilwood proportioning valve.Did you buy those already made up or shorten and reflare the factory lines.I bought the same wildwood setup a few months ago but haven't installed it yet.
Thanks Brian

Thanks Brian! The brake lines were purchased as a reproduction in stainless. I had to straighten them out and re-bend them to work with the wilwood stuff since they aren't in the same position as the factory stuff. It wasn't too hard to do. I used an old metal hanger to figure out where I wanted it bent before I re-bent the brake lines.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 7814463)
Looking good Duane!

Thanks Mike!

knomadd 01-05-2017 02:56 PM

I did some more reassembly last night. I got the e-brake reinstalled with some stainless oversized acorn nuts. I think it finishes it off a little nicer than a couple of stainless nuts on a painted bolt. Not that the brake cable and grommet look all that great. :waah:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psmyr1rpe4.jpg

I also got the vintage air system reinstalled under the dash. I hope it's all finished under there because, MAN... that was a PAIN!! The firewall looks good though, so it was all worth it. (sorry, no pics... look further back in my thread and you'll see it again.)

mcbassin 01-06-2017 05:25 PM

Looking good Duane! Keep up the good work, LST is right around the corner.....

MMcMasters 01-06-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 7815709)
I did some more reassembly last night. I got the e-brake reinstalled with some stainless oversized acorn nuts. I think it finishes it off a little nicer than a couple of stainless nuts on a painted bolt. Not that the brake cable and grommet look all that great. :waah:
http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/...psmyr1rpe4.jpg

I also got the vintage air system reinstalled under the dash. I hope it's all finished under there because, MAN... that was a PAIN!! The firewall looks good though, so it was all worth it. (sorry, no pics... look further back in my thread and you'll see it again.)

Duane,

you are killing it !!!

knomadd 01-06-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 7816797)
Looking good Duane! Keep up the good work, LST is right around the corner.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: not going to make it to LST this year. Too much to do, including creating my own harness, fuel system, trans cooler lines, rear end rebuild (outsourced), new driveshaft (I'm told about a 4 week build time) and tuning to name a few.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MMcMasters (Post 7816804)
Duane,

you are killing it !!!

Thanks Mike! It's moving slowly, but still progressing. As long as there's still progress, I'm good.

slowcpe 01-06-2017 10:45 PM

Very nice work!

Where are you getting your driveshaft made? I'm getting close to that myself to.

knomadd 01-06-2017 10:48 PM

I'm having a local shop rebuild my rearend and they are recommending Denny's Driveshaft. They're based in New York. They've told me out of the many places in the Houston area they've used, they aren't impressed with the work of even the best shop here, as compared to Denny's. I know it's a bit time heavy compared to a local shop, but I think it'll be worth it.

Vic1947 01-06-2017 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 7817106)
I'm having a local shop rebuild my rearend and they are recommending Denny's Driveshaft. They're based in New York. They've told me out of the many places in the Houston area they've used, they aren't impressed with the work of even the best shop here, as compared to Denny's. I know it's a bit time heavy compared to a local shop, but I think it'll be worth it.

I've bought several components from Denny's but never a complete driveshaft. Their website is very informative and professional, so you'd think their work would be as well. Likewise, I'm surprised at the delivery time, but like the old saying goes, "Fast, Cheap, Good... pick one, cuz if it's fast, it won't be cheap or good."

88Stanger 01-09-2017 04:57 PM

knomadd,
beautiful work!!!! damn fine job!!!

mooseknuckles 01-09-2017 10:32 PM

lookin good! :metal:

knomadd 01-09-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 7820718)
knomadd,
beautiful work!!!! damn fine job!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseknuckles (Post 7821151)
lookin good! :metal:

Thanks guys!

Got the VHX gauge computers mounted to an aluminum panel that I plan on mounting behind the gauge cluster. There's also a ground block in the middle. Sorry about the blurry cell phone pic. I couldn't get a clearer shot.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...pshpvzgqoi.jpg

Advanced Design 01-09-2017 11:11 PM

The panel is a good idea. It will really help organize the module and harness package. Going to keep that in mind for my VHX too. Thanks!

Bennett68C10 01-10-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 7821188)
Thanks guys!

Got the VHX gauge computers mounted to an aluminum panel that I plan on mounting behind the gauge cluster. There's also a ground block in the middle. Sorry about the blurry cell phone pic. I couldn't get a clearer shot.

Good idea, I might have to steal it when I get to that point.

Vic1947 01-10-2017 11:29 AM

I saw a display of the VHX setup at Classic Parts the other day and it really looks trick. Was wondering, does it play well with an ECU? I haven't researched what will be required to map things like oil pressure, water temp, tachometer and etc. into the Classic Instruments gauges I purchased to use with the old school Gen I engine. Since switching over to the LS3, it may be worthwhile to consider a VHX panel if you can plug it into the factory harness.

knomadd 01-11-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7821195)
The panel is a good idea. It will really help organize the module and harness package. Going to keep that in mind for my VHX too. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 7821455)
Good idea, I might have to steal it when I get to that point.

No problem guys. Glad to be of some use on here. :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7821588)
I saw a display of the VHX setup at Classic Parts the other day and it really looks trick. Was wondering, does it play well with an ECU? I haven't researched what will be required to map things like oil pressure, water temp, tachometer and etc. into the Classic Instruments gauges I purchased to use with the old school Gen I engine. Since switching over to the LS3, it may be worthwhile to consider a VHX panel if you can plug it into the factory harness.

I don't have it all hooked up yet, but I was told the OBD-II module (BIM-01-2, bottom right) helps with all of that. The gauges themselves come with some sensors that can be put into any engine to run the gauges. As long as you have a spot for the sensors, it should work without the OBD-II module. If you're going to go with the Dakato Digital setup, look into the OBD-II BIM module. It has some features it can pull from the ECU (depending on the ECU) that will show up in the digital displays. Some guys have said they get trans temp and gear position with the newer 6 speed autos. I'm hoping that's true.

Rob Hartley (Hart_Rod) has done a VHX (in the gold 68) and the new HDX setup in his vehicles. The latest is the HDX in his Superburb project. He's running LS based engines in both. It will be worth looking at his threads too.

Last night I was able to get the panel installed and start to connect the BIM modules to the gauge controller.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psnyc90u2x.jpg

Hart_Rod 01-11-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7821588)

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 7822685)
No problem guys. Glad to be of some use on here. :lol:

I don't have it all hooked up yet, but I was told the OBD-II module (BIM-01-2, bottom right) helps with all of that. The gauges themselves come with some sensors that can be put into any engine to run the gauges. As long as you have a spot for the sensors, it should work without the OBD-II module. If you're going to go with the Dakato Digital setup, look into the OBD-II BIM module. It has some features it can pull from the ECU (depending on the ECU) that will show up in the digital displays. Some guys have said they get trans temp and gear position with the newer 6 speed autos. I'm hoping that's true.

Rob Hartley (Hart_Rod) has done a VHX (in the gold 68) and the new HDX setup in his vehicles. The latest is the HDX in his Superburb project. He's running LS based engines in both. It will be worth looking at his threads too.

Last night I was able to get the panel installed and start to connect the BIM modules to the gauge controller.

There's a setting within the HDX menus that allow you to change where a particular gauge gets it's input, i.e. SENSOR or BIM. It's pretty easy to setup. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dieselwrencher 01-11-2017 05:15 PM

Nice work on the VHX install. I still have to finish making the panel I started making for mine. I have so many modules to put on it, I was running out of room and haven't gotten back to finishing it.

garciajulian 01-13-2017 01:21 AM

Nice, I saw you changed your cluster and wiring any chance you want to seel them Im looking for that type of cluster with volts and that wiring.

knomadd 01-13-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7823061)
Nice work on the VHX install. I still have to finish making the panel I started making for mine. I have so many modules to put on it, I was running out of room and haven't gotten back to finishing it.

I know how you feel. I'm still trying to figure out where to mount my ECM and fuse block for the LS. :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by garciajulian (Post 7824531)
Nice, I saw you changed your cluster and wiring any chance you want to seel them Im looking for that type of cluster with volts and that wiring.

I'm willing to sell the gauges, as for the wiring, are you talking about the part of the harness between the gauges and the dash harness? I don't think I'll be using any of it, but I'll need some time to figure it out. If you're really interested, PM me an offer.

knomadd 01-23-2017 11:48 AM

I have made some progress over the last week and a half. Not much, but progress is still progress...

I finally got the high hump installed. Had to mark and drill the holes, then cut some more of the floor for the clips I used, but it's in... or was.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psrvmqqume.jpg

I dropped the engine in this weekend so I could test an idea of where I want to mount the ECM. I had been thinking I'd mount it under the dash, but it's really really cluttered in there now... Here it is sitting on a plate I made to bolt to the dash, and was going to somehow tie it to the pedal mount plate I still need to make.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psbiowhkod.jpg

Instead, I thought I'd try and see if the harness would reach to under the seat. So, I started routing the wires from the sensors back to the cab.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ps2vdn53np.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psnsu3axat.jpg

It appears to be long enough that I can make that work, so I'm going to try and use the junk harness first and get it where I want it, then copy it with the new replacement (good) harness.

It looks like there's a ton of extra wire, but there really isn't. Some of all that coiled wire is useless (rear O2 sensors, EVAP stuff and such). The MAF sensor wires are too short, but I can add to them. Also, since the back of the engine and trans are the furthest from where the ECM used to mount in the Express Van, there is a lot of extra length for those wires, but not so much for the front drivers side sensors. Should be interesting, and make for some "fun" nights and weekends ahead. I'm not a big fan of wiring... :waah:

Oh, and in case you can't tell, I have some peeling paint issues on the engine and trans. I guess I either didn't clean it or scuff it well enough. I'll be pulling it back out to fix those areas.

knomadd 01-31-2017 03:55 PM

I have some wiring questions for the LS Swap guru's. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=729064

knomadd 02-04-2017 12:29 AM

So I think I have my ECM and fuse panel mounting location figured out...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psno3qow2r.jpg
It will be behind the seat, next to the subwoofer.

knomadd 02-07-2017 10:01 AM

Well it's not exactly what I had in mind, but it was easier than my original plan (MDF), and it doesn't require that I cover it with carpet or something.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psqlurcjkl.jpg

kehstr 03-09-2017 12:27 AM

Awesome build! Subscribed to watch this beast come together!

mcbassin 03-09-2017 09:29 AM

Dig the PCM mount setup! I love that pic with all the wiring too. It brings back fond memories :)