The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1968 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=545446)

gdavis 04-14-2013 07:16 PM

Re: 1968

Guys let me tell you something. stay with your orginal thoughts on things you want to do. I listen to a friend. Don't get me wrong he thought he was advising me right. I too thought it sounded good . I was going to pull the cross member that supports the stell bell houseing for a standard transmission out. But he said that it would give me more support by leaving it in. Sounds like it should. But, when I slid the motor forward the transmission pan hits the cross member. Even if I could figure a way to keep it from hitting the pan by raising the rear of the transmission up, it still would be in the middle of the pan and if you had to pull the pan well good luck on that. So I am pulling the motor back out and removing the cross member. Here we go again more ribbits to grind. And if that was not enough I have to get another drive shaft for now the drive shaft is 4 inch too short. A member said something about the drive shaft being too short for the 350 engine verses the inline six. I see now why it worked. The motor was to far to the rear.
One step forward and three steps backwards. But on the lighter note I fixed the problem with the distubtor now I have room to install the cap. But I am glad this came up this early in the build.

gdavis 04-14-2013 07:24 PM

I will post pictures of the cross member and the motor after I slide it forward. Again I think I should think outside the box or at least investigate the swap I am doing.

gdavis 04-14-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6007962)
Maybe this will help answer your question, this is a stock 72 brake setup.

http://i.imgur.com/MpU0uTUl.jpg

It looks like to me your bracket/booster assembly is mounted upside down.
Notice how the bracket and master cylinder are angling down not up like on yours and the vacuum booster bung is located towards the engine.

I figure out why the booster was in a incline. I forgot the after market bracket. I am not having that it sticks into the engine compartment about have way. So I am ordering another one that looks the way it should. When I took it apart I didn't pay any attention to the distance.

Xeen 04-14-2013 08:54 PM

Yeah GDavis there is all kinds of things you run into when you start changing configurations, no worries everyone learns this way.
Right now I'm going through my own troubles with the fuel system for the 2003 Vortec 5.3L but I will get it figured out with some help from people more knowlegable on the subject.
You will get everything figured out also with a little help.

Mustard72 04-15-2013 01:00 PM

It's no wonder they have a bazillion holes in the frame. They need them for all the cross member configurations, etc.

gdavis 04-15-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6013208)
It's no wonder they have a bazillion holes in the frame. They need them for all the cross member configurations, etc.

yes, now there are 8 more holes to go alone with the bazillion.

gdavis 04-15-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6011862)
Yeah GDavis there is all kinds of things you run into when you start changing configurations, no worries everyone learns this way.
Right now I'm going through my own troubles with the fuel system for the 2003 Vortec 5.3L but I will get it figured out with some help from people more knowlegable on the subject.
You will get everything figured out also with a little help.

I want even guess the changes you have had to make with that kind of a engine change.

gdavis 04-15-2013 07:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today, I pulled the front end off the truck. I did not want to burn the primer while I was grinding the ribbits out.
I also pulled the engine out. I could not get to the top two ribbits without pulling the engine. I even had to jack the front of the cab up 6 inches to clear the ribbits.
I cross cut the ribbits and punched them out and got rid of the cross member. As you can see in the pictures. The cross member is laying on the ground in 3 pieces.
Tomorrow I am going to drill the two new holes for the stands for the motor mount.

Xeen 04-16-2013 01:35 AM

I have to remove the manual transmission reinforcement crossmember on mine this week also, I'm not looking forward to it but it has to be done.

Xeen 04-16-2013 09:48 AM

Why are you drilling two new holes for the engine perches, the stock V8 perches will fit in the factory drilled holes closest to the radiator, and if they don't then they arent 67-72 v8 perches.

~Whitey~ 04-16-2013 10:14 AM

Brian's right davis, you can see in this post, what the factory mounts look like and where they need to be placed. In my configuration anyway. 350 and TH350 transmission.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...6&postcount=31

gdavis 04-16-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6014768)
I have to remove the manual transmission reinforcement crossmember on mine this week also, I'm not looking forward to it but it has to be done.

Just put it in your mind that it has to be done and do it. as you can see I did and now I am happy. I am going to leave the motor out for a while. I think I will run my brake lines on the front first. I know I should have done that already but I thought i could do it later. Well I put it off and still it has not been done. The second shift are not doing their job. Let me know what trouble you have doing yours.

gdavis 04-16-2013 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6015055)
Why are you drilling two new holes for the engine perches, the stock V8 perches will fit in the factory drilled holes closest to the radiator, and if they don't then they arent 67-72 v8 perches.

They came off of a V8 motor. I assume that they were. Anyway I drilled the new holes today. I know what assume means. So what you are saying is I don't have V8 stands. Here is a picture of the same stands I am using. What do you think?

gdavis 04-16-2013 09:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I went outside and took two pictures of the perches in the truck. I have already drilled holes, but will I have any problems using these in the future. If you think I might then I will get a new set. For heaven knows I have had my share of problems in this motor change.

frostbyte 04-16-2013 09:19 PM

looks great. keep up the great work.

Xeen 04-16-2013 09:33 PM

I will look at my V8 small block perches, and crossmember mounting location and compare and get back to you.

Mustard72 04-16-2013 10:47 PM

So you were able to pound out all of the rivets? I've ground off lots of them on the Mustard project, and only get about 25% of them to pound out after grinding off the head. I end up using the torch to cut stuff apart at that point.

I think I have a set of small block perches if you need them.

gdavis 04-17-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6016679)
So you were able to pound out all of the rivets? I've ground off lots of them on the Mustard project, and only get about 25% of them to pound out after grinding off the head. I end up using the torch to cut stuff apart at that point.

I think I have a set of small block perches if you need them.

compair them to mine and see which ones I have and if your are the same well I will use these. But if your are different then tell me how much?

gdavis 04-17-2013 08:51 PM

Today, I just layed around and rested and getting ready for court tomorrow. I got called as a witness on a case that I would like to stay away from. This guy did some bad things to some kids and now he thinks I will help. It would have been wise to never call me as a witness. Anyway guys say a pray or two for me tonight.
so intill I post again God Bless

Zoomin 04-17-2013 09:13 PM

If his attorney is sharp at all, he's going to interview you before you ever get close to getting on the stand.

Praying for you.

Mustard72 04-18-2013 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Prayers sent. Sounds like an ugly case.

In lighter news, here is a pic of the extra engine mount perches I have alongside the originals from Mustard (72 350 truck). They look pretty much identical as far as I can tell. The extra set came with a frame I picked up and there was no engine in it. If you want them, pay the shipping and they're yours.

~Whitey~ 04-18-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6018394)
... I got called as a witness on a case that I would like to stay away from. This guy did some bad things to some kids and now he thinks I will help. It would have been wise to never call me as a witness. Anyway guys say a pray or two for me tonight.
so intill I post again God Bless ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 6018459)
If his attorney is sharp at all, he's going to interview you before you ever get close to getting on the stand.

Praying for you.

EEww. Man hope all goes well... Like Zoomin says I'm sure you'll be interviewed by his lawyer, just do what you think is right and you may never have to even take the stand. prayer sent out for ya.

Mustard72 04-18-2013 12:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more. Definitely different (shorter, and fit the holes) than the ones you have. Uglier, but they fit, and you already know what to do about the ugly.

gdavis 04-18-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6019643)
Prayers sent. Sounds like an ugly case.

In lighter news, here is a pic of the extra engine mount perches I have alongside the originals from Mustard (72 350 truck). They look pretty much identical as far as I can tell. The extra set came with a frame I picked up and there was no engine in it. If you want them, pay the shipping and they're yours.

Sure, I will pay shipping on a pair left and right. Let me know how much and I will send it to you. I got on the information forum last night and there was a guy there that said. Don't use the six cly. perches on a small block. He said that they would give me problems. Cause the motor will set higher in the front and that would change several things. The most important is the level in the oil pan. The tall boy valve cover that I was planing on using could not be used. only short valve covers. The headers might be a problem also. So I am glad that you and Bryan Keen saw what I was going to do. I really did think that they were V8 perches. Thanks for straighting me out on the perches. Thanks so much for the for the help on the perches. I have two sets of 6 cly. if you need some. Both pair has been blasted and painted. Again thanks so much your friend Gdavis.

gdavis 04-18-2013 01:12 PM

Guys, thanks for the prayer on the court case. The lawer didn't interview me. He came out and seen that I was a litter upset with the whole thing. He figured that he better cut his loses and he excused me from the witness list. God does answer prays.