The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Nik's 62 build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=680841)

62stepside longbox 03-12-2017 08:05 PM

Re: Nik's 62 build

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7883237)
Air horn! :metal:

Oh yeah!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 7883370)
Get out of the way, a Chevy Truck is coming horn!!! :D
:metal:

Everyone in town will know it's me comin! Even more so since I'll be running the other two factory horns as well, so hopefully 3 horns is enough :lol:

Today I worked on separating the grille, grille support and rad support.

62stepside longbox 03-12-2017 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some of the rust I'll be dealing with, not at all bad compared to how the rest of the truck was.

65sub 03-12-2017 08:59 PM

Shouldn't be a problem for you Nik.

62stepside longbox 03-13-2017 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7883963)
Shouldn't be a problem for you Nik.

Not at all! This has pretty much become the routine:lol:

Today I got a little time in the garage so I started cutting! Always seems like I find more rust once I go deeper, this was no exception. But it's nothing compared to what I've done in the past so it shouldn't at all be a problem. I'll start on making some patches tomorrow.

62stepside longbox 03-14-2017 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After school I spent a couple hours on doing the rust repair first I welded this patch in place and smoothed it out.

62stepside longbox 03-14-2017 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the finished product, the area where the bolt goes through to the frame was was triple layered 18 gauge, so that took a while to form.

62stepside longbox 03-14-2017 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic, the next order of business is to sand and clean up the entire thing and then spray it black so it will be ready to install.

62stepside longbox 03-16-2017 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a little freetime today so I got the core support all cleaned up and painted, turned out pretty good. Tomorrow is the last day before spring vacation in my school district, the next two weeks I'll have off so I'll be getting some major things done on the truck:metal:

TJ's Chevy 03-17-2017 12:50 AM

Wish I could get two weeks off......from Anything at this point. lol! That much truck time would be sweet.....enjoy it man!

65sub 03-17-2017 09:06 AM

Two solid weeks of truck time :metal:You should get a ton of work done. You'll be cruising in no time.

62stepside longbox 03-17-2017 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7888820)
Wish I could get two weeks off......from Anything at this point. lol! That much truck time would be sweet.....enjoy it man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7888932)
Two solid weeks of truck time :metal:You should get a ton of work done. You'll be cruising in no time.

Thanks guys, it will be nice to have some time so I can get quite a bit knocked out all at once, of course I'll be doing lots of fishing as well:)

Today I got the core support bolted in and ran a few wires as well as cleaning up and attaching the horn relay and voltage regulator. Starting to look like a truck again!

62stepside longbox 03-19-2017 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had been trying for a while without success to figure out some sort of mounting for the dash extension. I finally built some brackets that worked and mounted it up on the dash, the next step is to remove all the gauges and paint it.

62stepside longbox 03-19-2017 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also been working on some of the smaller details, just today I got the battery tray cleaned, painted and installed plus I put in a new battery, and cleaned, painted and installed the voltage regulator and horn relay and both the factory horns.

62stepside longbox 03-19-2017 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And now it finally has a face!

72cs20 03-19-2017 06:45 PM

Excellent progress! Getting the front end back on is a real milestone.

Palf70Step 03-19-2017 07:05 PM

62stepside longbox 03-19-2017 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72cs20 (Post 7891012)
Excellent progress! Getting the front end back on is a real milestone.

Thank you, yes the front end is where the majority of the work is, once it's all finished it'll be a weight off my back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 7891028)

:metal::chevy:

Well today was quite the day! Along with the above progress I also worked into the evening and managed to remove the rear end, it just didn't want to let go! The u-bolts had to be cut off. But other than that it all went smoothly.

65sub 03-20-2017 07:53 PM

Looking good Nik. Keep at it, spring's coming

62stepside longbox 03-20-2017 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7892059)
Looking good Nik. Keep at it, spring's coming

Thanks dale, I'm not super tight on the plan, as long as I get it on the road before summer starts I'll be fine.

Today I made some more progress on the rear end swap, I knew I had to figure out some way to hook up an e-brake since the cables from the 71 rear end mounted to the trailing arms differently and were too short. But to my surprise when I pulled the cables from the backing plates and compared them I found out they would swap over and snap right in, no modifications at all!

62stepside longbox 03-21-2017 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been struggling to get the u bolts out of the trailing arms, they are rusted right in. I've already tried heating up, soaking in penatrant oil and beating the crap out of them with a punch and sledgehammer and it didn't budge. I'm thinking I might have to take off my trailing arms and get the u bolts pressed out. Anyone have any other ideas?

Classic v6 GMC's 03-21-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7893194)
Been struggling to get the u bolts out of the trailing arms, they are rusted right in. I've already tried heating up, soaking in penatrant oil and beating the crap out of them with a punch and sledgehammer and it didn't budge. I'm thinking I might have to take off my trailing arms and get the u bolts pressed out. Anyone have any other ideas?

I had the same problem on our 60. I just beat kept beating on them up and down and spraying with oil until they finally came out.
Have you tried tightening the nuts on the bolts? Might be able to spin them some.

62stepside longbox 03-22-2017 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic v6 GMC's (Post 7893207)
I had the same problem on our 60. I just beat kept beating on them up and down and spraying with oil until they finally came out.
Have you tried tightening the nuts on the bolts? Might be able to spin them some.

I tried to turn it using a socket and breaker bar with a 4' pole on it, just felt like the breaker bar was going to bend with all the force I was applying. Tomorrow I'm going to try using an air hammer.

TJ's Chevy 03-22-2017 10:35 AM

Took me awhile to, I used a LOT of heat and a big hammer with a punch. Wasn't long after that. lol When I put the new ones in I coated them with anti seize.

62stepside longbox 03-22-2017 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7893491)
Took me awhile to, I used a LOT of heat and a big hammer with a punch. Wasn't long after that. lol When I put the new ones in I coated them with anti seize.

That's what I've tried but with no such luck, good tip there on the anti-seize.

Today I tried the air hammer and that did the trick, I got both of them out on the drivers side, now I just need to finish the passengers side.

65sub 03-23-2017 07:03 PM

That's the way Nik Just keep beating on it until it gives up :metal:

62stepside longbox 03-24-2017 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent a couple hours beating away at the passengers side and finally got them out, I then wire brushed the trailing arms and inside the holes and put on a little rust paint where the axle mounting pads sit. Before I install the rear end I will apply some anti seize to the ubolts. While I was under the truck I made a little discovery. I found that one of my coil springs is cracked right at the base. So it looks like I'll be in the market for new springs.

RANDY COX 03-24-2017 08:55 PM

Hey, you done a good job on that radiator support patch, let me guess it was the passenger side that was rotted.. from the battery acid...that's the same place where mine was and I just patched it like you did couldn't see getting a new one since that was the only place...keep up the good work...

62stepside longbox 03-25-2017 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANDY COX (Post 7895689)
Hey, you done a good job on that radiator support patch, let me guess it was the passenger side that was rotted.. from the battery acid...that's the same place where mine was and I just patched it like you did couldn't see getting a new one since that was the only place...keep up the good work...

Thanks randy, and yes the drivers side had no rust at all which had me scratching my head for a bit. But that makes complete sense about the battery acid leaking down, on vehicles of this age most of them seem to have rusted out battery trays for that exact reason.

AJCK87 03-25-2017 12:35 AM

Right on Nik! Looking forward to seeing you rig on the road. Hopefully I can get out to the Okanagan this summer, I will definetly drop you a line. Keep it up, in the home stretch now :metal:

62 Barnfind 03-25-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7895551)
Spent a couple hours beating away at the passengers side and finally got them out, I then wire brushed the trailing arms and inside the holes and put on a little rust paint where the axle mounting pads sit. Before I install the rear end I will apply some anti seize to the ubolts. While I was under the truck I made a little discovery. I found that one of my coil springs is cracked right at the base. So it looks like I'll be in the market for new springs.

Make sure you get the new mounting plates and bolts. i had to cut one of my springs out and pound out the long bolt. Now you can order the the drop size you want and lower the front to match.

62stepside longbox 03-25-2017 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJCK87 (Post 7895895)
Right on Nik! Looking forward to seeing you rig on the road. Hopefully I can get out to the Okanagan this summer, I will definetly drop you a line. Keep it up, in the home stretch now :metal:

Thanks Anthony! I'm really wanting to see it on the road as well, shouldn't be long... Looking forward to hopefully seeing you this summer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind (Post 7896000)
Make sure you get the new mounting plates and bolts. i had to cut one of my springs out and pound out the long bolt. Now you can order the the drop size you want and lower the front to match.

I was actually wanting to keep it stock height as I do a lot of fishing and dirtbiking in remote areas that require some ground clearance and beefier tires (the reason I got the Dunlop rover m/t's).

Today I got my new ubolts and bolted in the rear end, it's a great relief to see that all my measuring and welding was done properly and it all went together super smoothy. I then put the wheels on and put the truck back on the ground.

62stepside longbox 03-26-2017 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on getting some small odds and ends ready on the engine, installed a few small parts. Put in the distributor and picked up some new plug wires, I had to trim a couple of them but other than that they worked perfectly. All I need to do is clean, paint and install the oil filter system and lines and it'll be ready to fire up! :metal:

62stepside longbox 03-28-2017 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday was a sanding day, lots of sanding. And today was a painting day. I stripped the radiatior, and sanded the hood latch piece, the front filler panels and the old 6 lug wheels. Obviously now that my truck is 5 lug I have no need for these 6 lug wheels, but I didn't pay anything for them as they came on the truck and I only paid $100 for the pretty much new whitewalls. So the plan was to sand and clean them completely, mask off the tires and paint them gloss black and then clean up the tires really well and put them for sale. I'm thinking I should be able to get about $500 for them which will free up some cash for other truck parts:metal:. So here are the wheels painted up, I just need to give the tires a good clean and post them for sale.

62stepside longbox 03-28-2017 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the hood latch and filler panels all painted up.

62stepside longbox 03-28-2017 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the radiatior all painted up

62stepside longbox 03-28-2017 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my buddies that was building a truck for someone ordered a few parts for a 250 six cylinder, but the customer changed his mind and wanted a v8. So he had no need for this part and have it to me. It's a upper rad hose for a 63-66 which is clearly too long but part of it has the same curve as the original 62 hose.

Classic v6 GMC's 03-28-2017 07:29 PM

Parts look nice!!

62stepside longbox 03-28-2017 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the hose cut to fit. This will be the last update for the next few days as tomorrow I'm driving a few hours to the coast to do some fishing, but I'll be sure to make some progress before school starts back up.

SSpeed66 03-29-2017 01:10 PM

I bought those WW's you linked to me a while back for $200, they are on older 6 lug rims with the clips for the caps. I got a good score there !

62stepside longbox 03-30-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic v6 GMC's (Post 7899444)
Parts look nice!!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSpeed66 (Post 7900139)
I bought those WW's you linked to me a while back for $200, they are on older 6 lug rims with the clips for the caps. I got a good score there !

Yes that was a great deal! I'll be posting these for sale soon and I'll see what I can get for them.