The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Frankentruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768503)

cwcarpenter98 01-05-2024 11:24 PM

Re: Frankentruck

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braunschweiger (Post 9273210)
We like to transport engines on an old car tire where it sits securely with the oil pan and lash the engine around the cylinder head, once left and right,

I would have done that method if needed, but the guy I got the engine from is only about a 15 minute drive from me. We left the engine on the storage stand, so I just have to return the stand next week

cwcarpenter98 01-29-2024 11:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Took a trip this weekend to hang out with a bunch of my college buddies, so of course I had to take my favorite road trip vehicle. Stopped at one of my favorite BBQ restaurants in Winder, GA: Smokin Po-Boys. Definitely would recommend stopping there if you find yourself in Winder.

I did start hearing a funky, intermittent rattling noise at idle, however, but didn’t check it out until I got home. Found out Sunday after getting home that I apparently didn’t tighten the crank pulleys enough. One of the bolts decided to exit the vehicle. Down one bolt and missing a smidge of material on the remaining two, I did the right thing and stole the pulley bolts from Penny. I also finally added a harmonic dampener bolt by stealing the one off Penny. The bolt seemed just a smidge too long, so I went on the hunt for a shorter bolt. Finally found one just right but it was dark by the time I got back. Finished putting everything back together after work today and all seems back to normal. I’ve already got new bolts for Penny in the Summit Racing cart that I’ve been putting together.

cwcarpenter98 03-20-2024 07:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A glimpse into the past two weekends. Road trips in Frankentruck, catching some sunsets, and a great start to car show season. Sure is fun to drive around in an old rust bucket!

pdxhall 03-20-2024 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 9281446)
Took a trip this weekend to hang out with a bunch of my college buddies, so of course I had to take my favorite road trip vehicle. Stopped at one of my favorite BBQ restaurants in Winder, GA: Smokin Po-Boys. Definitely would recommend stopping there if you find yourself in Winder.

I did start hearing a funky, intermittent rattling noise at idle, however, but didn’t check it out until I got home. Found out Sunday after getting home that I apparently didn’t tighten the crank pulleys enough. One of the bolts decided to exit the vehicle. Down one bolt and missing a smidge of material on the remaining two, I did the right thing and stole the pulley bolts from Penny. I also finally added a harmonic dampener bolt by stealing the one off Penny. The bolt seemed just a smidge too long, so I went on the hunt for a shorter bolt. Finally found one just right but it was dark by the time I got back. Finished putting everything back together after work today and all seems back to normal. I’ve already got new bolts for Penny in the Summit Racing cart that I’ve been putting together.

Did you put some Loctite on those bolts?

cwcarpenter98 03-21-2024 05:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 9297301)
Did you put some Loctite on those bolts?

This time, I did!
I think the combo between no Loctite and reusing the original, single pulley bolts when switching to a triple pulley for the a/c and maybe future power steering left the bolts at a disadvantage of clamping force. Or I just messed up and didn’t get them tight enough to begin with. Either way, oops.
I did check the bolts again last night while doing an oil change. All seems to be ok :thumbs:

cwcarpenter98 03-24-2024 10:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Since the odometer is still broken, I mapped out the route driven and I put about 500 miles on Frankentruck this weekend with about 11 hours or so of driving. I only towed the trailer about 150 miles or so.
Got to go to the C10 Club Ga swap meet Saturday morning, then drove up to Lake Jocassee to watch the sunset at Jumping Off Rock Overlook. The forestry road up to the overlook was a lot of fun with a bunch of twists and turns and beautiful scenery. The whole weekend was a great trip!

Braunschweiger 03-25-2024 03:09 AM

I always enjoy your adventures with the truck, a great reliable truck.

cwcarpenter98 03-25-2024 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braunschweiger (Post 9298541)
I always enjoy your adventures with the truck, a great reliable truck.

Thanks Harald. This truck has treated me well so far!

cwcarpenter98 04-29-2024 10:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Been racking up some highway miles in Frankentruck a lot recently. The 3 speed overdrive makes the drive so much easier. I’ve been running consistently at about 2400 rpm, which according to my calculations is about 82 mph. Not bad for an old rust bucket. Also, based on really rough guesstimates (odometer broken), it appears I’m getting around 18 mpgs at that speed on the interstate. I’ll take that for sure.

Went turkey hunting on Saturday, so of course I had to get some pictures of an old farm truck back on an old farm. Didn’t see any turkeys though.

C10matt 04-30-2024 03:05 PM

That's super cool

cwcarpenter98 05-02-2024 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10matt (Post 9309489)
That's super cool

Thanks!

Darkrider 05-10-2024 12:18 PM

Nice to see the old girl still plugging along.