The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part III (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=644788)

LDO 07-02-2015 08:57 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

organized and marked more baggies full of bolts, screws and stuff. I did manage to bolt my fan to the fan clutch today. Too much on the honey-do list but I will give old betty some time tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

OldChevy61 07-02-2015 09:52 PM

Got the trailing arms and coil springs off. Back end is stripped. Just waiting on muscle to move the cab and on to tearing down front suspension.http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...psb955yqoh.jpghttp://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...psvi0rylil.jpghttp://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...psf4kx759y.jpghttp://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps0zvlaatw.jpg

LDO 07-02-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldChevy61 (Post 7229171)
Got the trailing arms and coil springs off. Back end is stripped. Just waiting on muscle to move the cab and on to tearing down front suspension.

Are you lifting cab off with doors and glass? If so, what are you using to lift off and did you build a cart to set it on?

thanks.

Lugnutz65 07-02-2015 10:39 PM

BEFORE you lift the cab, make sure you support the very corners of the frame. Otherwise you'll have a frame coming off those jack stands! I'm sure you realized that. Just wanna be safe.

I recommend first taking doors off and windshield out if possible. Four able bodied men can easily lift the cab off the frame and that is what I recommend. That's how we put mine BACK onto the frame.

The hoist method is clever and works great but I was working in my yard and couldn't wheel a hoist away from the frame. So that method was out.

You will not be able to do what I did because you have the wheels off the frame, but here goes. My son and I actually tipped the cab off all by ourselves. We slowly slid the cab until it would gently tip onto the PS rocker - so it was on the ground. Then carefully tipped it enough so he could balance it by holding onto the PS upper door frame at the roof line. I rolled the frame out from under the cab using a small pickup truck. I then came to the DS rocker and had him tip it to me. I balanced it holding on to the DS rocker until he came over to assist with slowly lowering it to the ground. Two men and 5 minutes.

TJ's Chevy 07-03-2015 10:24 AM

I used my tractor to pull mine off. :mm:

OldChevy61 07-03-2015 11:03 AM

Doors and glass stays on for now as I don't have a dry place for it. The cab needs very minor work, mostly a couple small dings and a lot of sanding.lol. Really weighing the option of just rolling around under it with the blaster and not take it off. Get underneath and rear frame clean and paint,put back together, then move to the front. Cab mounts are in great shape and not very dirty under the floor. Nothing I can't clean from underneath.

blown240 07-03-2015 11:13 AM

I got my rear springs on. I used Classic Industries 3" trucks springs. It lowered my panel just under 4" in the rear. Ill be curious to see how much they settle.

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr7mek2cs.jpg

compared to my wife's sequoia:

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psuroukizx.jpg

jbgroby 07-03-2015 08:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Rigged in a few ground straps today, got at least 4 more to go, not counting the heavy duty straps for the block.

canadian_diesel1964 07-03-2015 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the s-10 booster on with the help of Captain Fab's Fabulous Bracket!

LDO 07-03-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 7229991)
Rigged in a few ground straps today, got at least 4 more to go, not counting the heavy duty straps for the block.

straps look great JB!

dwcardfan 07-03-2015 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Painted the inside of passenger door.

dwcardfan 07-03-2015 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mounted the mirror.

jbgroby 07-03-2015 09:47 PM

Thanks LDO, we ought to hoop up one day, I may take a run up Tupelk this fall ( late November)

Jake

Johnny_Lamebridge 07-04-2015 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked late and made up a couple pieces to mate my '63 Panhard Bar to a '65 rear axle. A 2" longer mounting stud, and changed the angle of the polyurethane rod end to 80 degrees. Will weld it today and see how it works.

1971 GMC SHORTY 07-04-2015 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started out as Just Floor Pan.. Now whole floor pan inner and outer Rocker Cornor Front And Rear... Just Helping my Older Brother

1971 GMC SHORTY 07-04-2015 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971 GMC SHORTY (Post 7230559)
Started out as Just Floor Pan.. Now whole floor pan inner and outer Rocker Cornor Front And Rear... Just Helping my Older Brother

Keep telling Myself WHY ME!!! LOL

Turtleman 07-04-2015 01:26 PM

LOL GMC SHORTY...

It just keeps getting better doesn't it

Chevy Fleetside 07-04-2015 03:20 PM

I just posted my truck for sale on a site.

TJ's Chevy 07-04-2015 05:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Painted my frame! :metal: 1st picture of primer. 2nd is paint. :chevy:
EDIT: The primer hadn't flashed yet so it looks like the paint. haha

LDO 07-04-2015 05:32 PM

wow, that looks really good.

a few questions if you don't mind. How did you go about cleaning and prepping?

Did you use a rattle can or spray gun?

I'm struggling between doing mine myself or just sending out to Powder Coat.

thanks and Happy 4th!

TJ's Chevy 07-04-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDO (Post 7230779)
wow, that looks really good.

a few questions if you don't mind. How did you go about cleaning and prepping?

Did you use a rattle can or spray gun?

I'm struggling between doing mine myself or just sending out to Powder Coat.

thanks and Happy 4th!

Thanks! These pictures do alot of justice. This is my 1st paint job. haha. I used a spray gun. The prep took DAYS of sanding and hand sanding. I would Highly recommend having yours sand blasted. Much faster and alot easier. Powder coat would be the way to go as it won't crack from the twisting of your frame if you ever get in that situation. Cleaning the frame I washed it with water...dried it..then went over it with lacquer thinner then used tack cloth to try and get as much of the fine dust off as possible. After that it was a matter of setting the gun correctly and finding the sweet spot. Its hard for sure. lol

66Submarine 07-04-2015 05:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I painted mine white the other day.

I started on it at 5:00PM and had to drive it 55 miles back home after I was done with it... :lol:

Grizz1963 07-04-2015 06:27 PM

Well, another Saturday gone, but a good day it was.

Martin and I jumped on our bikes, thankfully as the A2M2 was backed up from J5 to J3 and we ended up using the old A2 to get to Darren's place on the Isle of Sheppey.

Martin wanted to go discuss V8 engines and gearboxes with Darren, and I always find his and all his gang who hang around at his workshop and factory hugely relaxing. Real people, no pretence or Horse Poop. Just Horse Power.

Darren has a hugely interesting yard, with many treasures.

Sadly, this is what remains of an 70-80's Show van.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psiipok7bj.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psyx2g68xs.jpg

I managed to rob the steering wheel and boss from it, plan is to restore the steering wheel, just because I can.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psjagsxjlm.jpg

Also found this old Hazet tool box for my Imperial sockets inside the van.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pswyegkyjq.jpg

Today I also ordered a set of V8 exhaust hangers in laser cut Stainless steel from Darren for the truck. Not sure exactly how I will use them with the side exit pipes, but they are irresistible.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psxyd4nmjz.jpg

Lastly, I managed to shove this down the front of my bike riding trousers..... Quite a difficult feat in this heat....... Then managed to convince Darren to sell it to me if it fits, for the truck, needs a boss that fits the column I previously bought. Not cheap in my book, but absolutely gorgeous, a highlight in the cab when it is done.

A bit extravagant in my normal book, but as Nicola said to me, we work hard, I do not smoke or drink, (there is the odd rum or brandy from time to time) so why not a treat from time to time.

Nicola and I love these Pinup type girls, and the detail on this job is rather pleasing. The White of the wheel will go with the Mercedes Benz off-White I am doing the roof and side flash.

I may just take the steering wheel to bed with me tonight.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psldslld97.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps2bentouo.jpg

Learned a few things from Darren, including the fact that I will need to make up a new rose jointed Panhard rod for the rear end as it was dropped 4"
That's one of the nice things about this hobby, all the sharing that goes on.

TJ's Chevy 07-04-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Submarine (Post 7230794)
I painted mine white the other day.

I started on it at 5:00PM and had to drive it 55 miles back home after I was done with it... :lol:

Looks good! Outta be a bit cooler in there now during the summer months. haha :chevy:

BR3W CITY 07-04-2015 08:39 PM

I reinstalled my cooling system, some wiring and all the misc parts of the frontend. Filled and bled it and did some last minute re torquing. Obviously I'm missing a piece hahaha, but I wanted to drive her on the 4th
Posted via Mobile Device

Joemomma1 07-05-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 7229991)

Was is painful scratching that new paint?

The Rocknrod 07-05-2015 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 7226426)
I ground off the rivets to remove mine. Wasn't too bad of a job. Plenty of room to work the crossmember out once the rivets are gone.

Well Yesterday I removed the body (engine hoist) and ground off all the rivets on the two offending cross members. Wow.
Now for the rear bump stops and maybe the trailing arm cross member.

Pappyx3! 07-05-2015 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hauled my first load with old country today. The family was glad we showed up!

Pappyx4!

TJ's Chevy 07-05-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappyx3! (Post 7231432)
Hauled my first load with old country today. The family was glad we showed up!

Pappyx4!

Them ol 6 bangers never let ya down. lol :chevy:

jbgroby 07-05-2015 04:58 PM

Yes very, but its like pulling a tooth- you know you gonna get the needle but it can be finished ;p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joemomma1 (Post 7231395)
Was is painful scratching that new paint?

LDO 07-05-2015 05:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
sometimes it's the little things that make me smile.

the 'face' of my ps pump was starting to flash over a little so i figured since it wasn't installed yet, i would throw some paint on it to keep it looking nice.

I wanted to plug up the 4 bolt holes but didn't want to use the bolts and get paint all over them.

Came across these push pins the wife had that fit perfectly, keeps the primer/paint out of the threaded holes and are pretty cheap (free).

just gotta be a little careful, these littler boogers are sharp!

pics....

OldChevy61 07-05-2015 07:47 PM

Broke out the sandblaster and cleaned a little of the frame. Shot a coat of rust stop primer on,now hoping the rain holds off till it completely dries. Just bought one of the HF portable carports. Should be here in a couple days. Bout to put this thing in the dry where it belongs.

Lugnutz65 07-05-2015 07:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDO (Post 7231550)
Came across these push pins the wife had that fit perfectly, keeps the primer/paint out of the threaded holes and are pretty cheap (free).

Nice little trick there LDO! You should post that on PINTEREST . . . :mm:

I smacked my stepside rock guards into a more useable shape. I showed them no mercy. They were more twisted than a Rubik's Cube. Now they look respectable. Next comes media blasting and epoxy primer.

Pappyx3! 07-06-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7231448)
Them ol 6 bangers never let ya down. lol :chevy:

I've been real pleased with the old truck to this point. Put about 1,000 miles on it so far, seeing a few oil leaks that I'm gonna have to deal with, but I will probably try to wait them out until winter time when I do some clean up work.

Thanks,

Pappyx4!

yote1234 07-07-2015 03:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
re-tightened bed bolts and installed new NOS arm rest!

Pappyx3! 07-07-2015 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally! Got the engine in on the 62. Planning to fire it up on Thursday evening.

TJ's Chevy 07-07-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappyx3! (Post 7233858)
Finally! Got the engine in on the 62. Planning to fire it up on Thursday evening.

:metal::metal::metal:

Lugnutz65 07-07-2015 09:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Repaired the pitted and rusted portion of the bed rear cross sill.

HappyHooligan 07-08-2015 09:44 AM

Replaced Speedo Driven gear, watched needle bounce around and then slowly down to nothing. :(

Rebuilt Rag Joint on steering shaft..... twice.
First try Steering wheel was upside down :dohh:

Replaced fuel sending unit Float. brass one was cracked. Checked ohms on sending unit and continuity to dash and ground. No movement on guage :banghead:

Drank beer and contemplated my mechanical skills :barn:

Hooligan

iceship 07-08-2015 10:06 AM

Love that steering wheel