The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   72 K30 Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645614)

mjensen 11-08-2016 11:28 PM

Re: 72 K30 Build

Man your project is coming along very nicely! Good work!

7dee2 11-09-2016 11:13 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Mike slow but steady! :lol:

Some parts are ready to go but some had a date in the glass bead cabinet. Was very pleased to find both our high & low note horns do work.

rgunlock 11-09-2016 01:35 PM

Lot of time to clean and paint all the small parts, but it all adds up to a nice finished look. I've discovered that this attention is needed even for brand new parts. Got a new brake booster and master cylinder for my truck. Assumed they were coated, and they looked coated but are now covered in surface rust.

7dee2 11-10-2016 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very true and it kind of depends what you are after. My old C30 blue, is lucky to get any new parts, a patined MC would fit right in! :lol:

Time to get some new belts ordered so made sure the old ones (now emergency spares) do fit properly. Borrowed this old gas station belt measuring tool from a friend to try and make sure we nail this first try.

deejaaa1 11-11-2016 01:26 AM

making great progress.

7dee2 11-14-2016 11:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thank’s, deejaaa1!

Cab parts have been outside soaking up the UV light, some stuff is getting really close to paint. The hood is the first to get to 400 grit, cab also ended up outside after these pics were taken.

My friend’s guard dog (Ozzy) is thinking about peeing on Mrs. 7dee2’s clean car, but decided not too after I yelled at him! :sumo:

First c10 11-15-2016 02:03 AM

Nice looking Brett. Keep up the hard work.

7dee2 11-15-2016 11:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thank’s, Scott! I really can’t take any cred as I’m still banned from the painting process. When I asked to help again, it was like do us both a favor and leave it alone! :josh: :lol:

Mocked up the S6 compressor to see if the original brackets would fit OK, I’ve read some people had issues. The only modification that we needed was adding a thick washer on the rear lower pivot point.

7dee2 11-16-2016 11:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Not too excited about the cheapo metric hardware that came with the compressor. Replaced it all with, you guessed it flange bolts! :lol:

Dieselwrencher 11-16-2016 04:53 PM

Very nice!

7dee2 11-17-2016 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank’s Ryan!

This ECP/Entropy radiator showed up and I’ve been on the fence about it? :confused: I like the factory style look of the tanks, it was a great price and the quality is pretty good also. We’ve had really good success with aluminum radiators in the past but I don’t like painting them if possible.

Thought we needed it but I seem to be changing my mind and will probably stick with the 4-core copper and brass we have been using. Time will tell if that is the right decision or not. The good news is we can use this aluminum one for our half ton project later and probably won't paint it.

swamp rat 11-17-2016 01:43 PM

The engine is looking pretty nice with the air conditioner stuff on it! I'd go stock radiator as long as it's good.

Dieselwrencher 11-17-2016 08:33 PM

That radiator does look pretty nice. Why not use it? Other than the stock appearing route you have going on.

7dee2 11-18-2016 11:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7770912)
The engine is looking pretty nice with the air conditioner stuff on it! I'd go stock radiator as long as it's good.

I agree Mike, 4-core it is for now! Ours is not an original Harrison but a very similar aftermarket. It’s been flushed twice and looks very good inside, held pressure and didn’t even think of getting hot during each phase of initial break in. With the high-volume water pump and the cooling jets, ugh, err fans how can it possible overheat! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7771171)
That radiator does look pretty nice. Why not use it? Other than the stock appearing route you have going on.

I know it looks better than I thought it would to tell the you the truth. No really big reasons other than paint, it looks really good shiny, we like shiny! :lol: I’ll keep it polished (regardless) for the C10 which is slated to be more mild custom, aftermarket air, serpentine, show shiny, etc. To install it in the K30 we'd just need to change to the std. 2/3 core mounts which the C10 has already has (advertised as a 4-core replacement but it’s not) and plug the water pump as I would use the tank return. For two-fitty delivered, it’s a nice piece! :metal:

Ha, the cooling jets are mounted as well as the last pieces of the brake line to the master cylinder area. You know if the truck breaks down I can just turn on the fans to get us were we are going! :lol:

First c10 11-18-2016 12:10 PM

looking good as usual... Brett did you paint or powder coat the radiator support? Battery trays etc?

7dee2 11-21-2016 11:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
That’s nice of you to say, Scott thanks. Core support is some heavy coats of that Zero-Rust paint over sand blasted metal just like the frame. Only difference is I sanded (prior) and cleared (after) a little on the frame and didn’t on the core support. Radiator is high heat VHT satin paint like the engine block and pulleys, etc. Battery trays and horns are also painted, Rust-oleum Canyon Black satin. Pretty sure the new fan shroud is powder, I believe.

While on the paint topic, we’ve got some white paint starting!

rgunlock 11-21-2016 12:19 PM

I know you must feel great about seeing final color!

Dieselwrencher 11-21-2016 03:59 PM

Oh, nice!

swamp rat 11-21-2016 06:17 PM

Nice!!

Ts truck 11-21-2016 09:14 PM

Hi I'm new here but have been following your build great job by the way. But I was curious about the zero rust paint. I am thinking about using it on my frame. Does it seem to be very durable as far as scratching and chiping? Did you use there Crystal clear clear coat on the frame?

JJorgensen52 11-21-2016 10:35 PM

Looking good, Brett! I really need to get my butt back in gear on my projects, you guys are making me look bad :lol:

7dee2 11-22-2016 11:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 7774016)
I know you must feel great about seeing final color!

Oh, yeah Rick you got that right! :two:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7774190)
Oh, nice!

Thanks, Ryan

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7774306)
Nice!!

Thanks, Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ts truck (Post 7774482)
Hi I'm new here but have been following your build great job by the way. But I was curious about the zero rust paint. I am thinking about using it on my frame. Does it seem to be very durable as far as scratching and chiping? Did you use there Crystal clear clear coat on the frame?

Welcome Ts truck and thanks for following along. The Zero-Rust seems to be pretty good so far, if I did it over I’d ask them about adding a hardener. We spot painted (bolts mostly) with their rattle can product after bolting the frame together and the sheen did not match, the easy solution was Rust-oleum satin clear in a rattle can. That stuff gave us an even sheen but scuffs pretty easy it’s a really light coat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJorgensen52 (Post 7774572)
Looking good, Brett! I really need to get my butt back in gear on my projects, you guys are making me look bad :lol:

Hey Jim, thanks! Hope all is well and your projects need you! :lol:

Here’s the hood a couple of days later after a cut and buff. It’s on its way to storage for now so we won’t be tripping over it! :lol:

rgunlock 11-22-2016 11:31 AM

The hood looks like it came out beautiful. I know there is a lot of work in that! I just spent the better part of a day doing just the color sanding on my hood repaint. Still have to buff it out. Your progress is amazing!

swamp rat 11-22-2016 11:49 AM

The paint is a dual stage color coat then clear coat?

7dee2 11-23-2016 10:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 7774897)
The hood looks like it came out beautiful. I know there is a lot of work in that! I just spent the better part of a day doing just the color sanding on my hood repaint. Still have to buff it out. Your progress is amazing!

Thanks, Rick I’m very pleased, had to go back down to the storage unit looking for some parts (excuse) so I could admire it for a few minutes. :lol: After telling my buddy, he says “That’s weird!” :crazy:, I said, “I know isn’t it!”. :rolleyes: I’ll pass on your kind words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7774921)
The paint is a dual stage color coat then clear coat?

Thought someone might ask and for my own information here’s a break down so far of the products used. DP90 epoxy, 3-4 more coats of high build primer with this filler and then roughly 4 more coats acrylic urethane single stage paint.

We’ve had really good luck with this paint on past projects so I'm a fan. Had the supplier bring in more base and did aquire a second gallon as it is slowly being phased out in favor of other products.