The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

Dieselwrencher 04-16-2012 11:57 PM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 5318428)
Lookin good! Wide power coated white steelies and caps for sure!

Thanks. I'll probably use these ford wheels for now unless I get a smoking deal on some 16x10 aluminum wheels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5318440)
Nice work Ryan! Keep up the hard work. You'll be driving this beast in no time.

Thanks, there is still a lot left to do. I have to figure out how I'm going to get my turbos in there with a stock a/c housing yet too. :lol:

chevy71super 04-17-2012 12:07 AM

You might want to consider going with a Vintage Air unit, it eliminates the large AC unit under the hood. Creates a ton of room. Doug

Dieselwrencher 04-17-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy71super (Post 5318586)
You might want to consider going with a Vintage Air unit, it eliminates the large AC unit under the hood. Creates a ton of room. Doug

Not happening on this project as I need that for my 40 Ford and the funds are let's say dry. :lol: The 40 will get vintage air before this unit. :metal:

watahyahknow 04-17-2012 01:21 AM

sumtimes there are small multihookup units like the vintage air to be found in wrecked limo's where they regulate the cool air for the rear passengers it shouldnt be to hard to adapt the controlls for those to work with the standard chevy stuff either maibe look for that and use the stock compressor

Rodzzilla 04-17-2012 06:27 AM

Looking good! Kurt is good peoples. :ito:

ryanroo 04-17-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5318349)

Starting engine remock up. The engine and trans are resting on the Ryanroo approved mocking cross member. :lol: The engine still needs to brought up about 2* and it'll be pretty close. NV4500 in, now to get the tcase on and see what's up.

that one is nice. way more class than the stack of crap i have.

lookin good

mknittle 04-17-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 5318720)
sumtimes there are small multihookup units like the vintage air to be found in wrecked limo's where they regulate the cool air for the rear passengers it shouldnt be to hard to adapt the controlls for those to work with the standard chevy stuff either maibe look for that and use the stock compressor

Where do I find a wrecked Limo?

mknittle 04-17-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5318691)
Not happening on this project as I need that for my 40 Ford and the funds are let's say dry. :lol: The 40 will get vintage air before this unit. :metal:

I have a heater/AC unit from a kenworth sleeper that I am going to use for my 52 gmc. I may just use it for parts. If that won't work I will go to pick and pull and do some shopping.There aer some small cars that have to have some good parts.

watahyahknow 04-17-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5319174)
Where do I find a wrecked Limo?

i dunno im not from the states i figure there some yards that might have one or two i believe theres a website where you can search them online , there more places to find those small units like in the rear of ambulances just look beyond the row of chevies in the yard

Dieselwrencher 04-17-2012 02:58 PM

I think I have a way to get both of them in there. My biggest concern is getting 4" or 5" exhaust through the frame and missing the trans and drive shaft. I'm guessing it'll have to go on the out side of the frame and cross back over before the RH saddle tank. We'll see if I ever get some more time to waste on it. :lol:

watahyahknow 04-17-2012 05:52 PM

there a couple of places that sell oval pipe straight and bended length or width wize and oval to round adapters if you can get a 3 inch pipe in there you could prolly fit that in there too

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/tubi...ng/cat_41.html

ryanroo 04-17-2012 10:22 PM

ive been worrying about that exhaust routing myself. ive also been inactively looking for a ford d60 for the front in hopes that i can miss the issue entirely.

Ryan

mosesburb 04-17-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5319658)
I think I have a way to get both of them in there. My biggest concern is getting 4" or 5" exhaust through the frame and missing the trans and drive shaft. I'm guessing it'll have to go on the out side of the frame and cross back over before the RH saddle tank. We'll see if I ever get some more time to waste on it. :lol:

You *might* get a 4" pipe between the frame and transfer case, fuggidabout trying to put a fiver through there. Do you have any body lift on it?? One inch would get a four through for sure with good floor clearance, might be enough for a five, not sure though. I wanted to put a one inch in mine a few times, but came up with solutions for the problems in other ways, but I could have set the motor a little higher and got a bit more up-travel, then again, I was only putting a 3.5" through there too.

lowrollin70gmc 04-17-2012 11:36 PM

It's a tight fit to get a 4" thru that hole, I tried on mine but only had 1/4" clearance around it and that didn't sit well with me but my engine sits higher than most put them. I ended up jogging outside the frame all the way back (no saddle tank). The hole was already in my inner fender so no big deal. You could loop it over the frame and under the bed to get it back in the center.

Also, the only thing I didn't take a pic of before I came back to cali was my exhaust. My bad.

But it does look good, makes me want to get back to the midwest and drive mine (and paint it as nice as yours looks!)

woodwright 04-17-2012 11:41 PM

Ryan, are you needing AC? or just a heater unit?

mknittle 04-18-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5318349)
Here are some pics!

Seat and carpet setting in there to get out of the way for the most part. :lol:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_0392.jpg

Removed the rear stock shackle bracket and tried installing the DIY4X flip kit. It wouldn't work due to the hanger difference in the 73-87 hangers. I thought I could make it work but no such luck. It almost sits level right now. I spoke with Kurt today and he is going to swap me out for the correct hangers. Can't beat that.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_0389.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_0393.jpg

Starting engine remock up. The engine and trans are resting on the Ryanroo approved mocking cross member. :lol: The engine still needs to brought up about 2* and it'll be pretty close. NV4500 in, now to get the tcase on and see what's up.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_0390.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_0394.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_0391.jpg

That's all the weekend allowed for on this truck. :lol:

Looking good Ryan, ! It motovates me to get going.
I like the custom rear cross member in the fourth pictire.:lol:
That reminds me The inspector is comming tomorrow {The garbage man}He is building a 67.He always spends about 20 minutes here:lol:.I better get somthing done today:lol:

Dieselwrencher 04-18-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesburb (Post 5320726)
You *might* get a 4" pipe between the frame and transfer case, fuggidabout trying to put a fiver through there. Do you have any body lift on it?? One inch would get a four through for sure with good floor clearance, might be enough for a five, not sure though. I wanted to put a one inch in mine a few times, but came up with solutions for the problems in other ways, but I could have set the motor a little higher and got a bit more up-travel, then again, I was only putting a 3.5" through there too.

Yeah, on my brother's 88 V30 3" was the max on that baby. I knew this RH drive shaft was going to bite me, but I'll deal with it. :smoke:

Dieselwrencher 04-18-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5320667)
ive been worrying about that exhaust routing myself. ive also been inactively looking for a ford d60 for the front in hopes that i can miss the issue entirely.

Ryan

Ryan, make sure you get the 78-79 earlier style. It isn't super wide like the later ones and will bolt right in.

Dieselwrencher 04-18-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrollin70gmc (Post 5320850)
It's a tight fit to get a 4" thru that hole, I tried on mine but only had 1/4" clearance around it and that didn't sit well with me but my engine sits higher than most put them. I ended up jogging outside the frame all the way back (no saddle tank). The hole was already in my inner fender so no big deal. You could loop it over the frame and under the bed to get it back in the center.

Also, the only thing I didn't take a pic of before I came back to cali was my exhaust. My bad.

But it does look good, makes me want to get back to the midwest and drive mine (and paint it as nice as yours looks!)

Be on the look out for that white F-350 on base. That's my little bro. He'll be leaving Thursday for his month long leave though.

I'm thinking right now the out side the frame routing will be the way to go. We'll see what it looks like with a 241DHD in there though. I want to use the 205 because I know it'll bolt right on and so will my tcase shifter. But I know in the back f my mind, the skinny pedal is getting mashed once in a while. That being said, there may be a 40k sled behind it and I don't want to be searching for 205 parts or cases again. :lol:

And thatnks on the paint. If I ever get far enough, I'll throw the front clip on and take some pics. My poor running hood. :(

Dieselwrencher 04-18-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodwright (Post 5320861)
Ryan, are you needing AC? or just a heater unit?

Well, I have all the inside parts and the outer housing. I'm going to have to locate the other stuff. Like the heat valve, orifice tube or what ever they use, condenser, and I'll have new lines made. I'm unsure of what compressor I'm going to run at this point as well.

Dieselwrencher 04-18-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5321436)
Looking good Ryan, ! It motovates me to get going.
I like the custom rear cross member in the fourth pictire.:lol:
That reminds me The inspector is comming tomorrow {The garbage man}He is building a 67.He always spends about 20 minutes here:lol:.I better get somthing done today:lol:

Thanks, it might be good for one hard bounce. :metal:

woodwright 04-18-2012 07:49 PM

What I was getting at, is if you are not gonna need AC, you can adapt a 70s or 80s chevy non-AC truck heater. the outer air box is pretty small.

ryanroo 04-18-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5322089)
Ryan, make sure you get the 78-79 earlier style. It isn't super wide like the later ones and will bolt right in.

yeah, thats the reason i dont already have it. they are a little more scarce. i keep my eyes peeled though.

you really worried about the 205 sploding? ive seen far more blown up aluminum cased transfers than 205s. in fact ive never actually seen the case damaged. ive seen alot of funny other stuff blow. you are just worried about chasing down spare 29 sp cases? i think with a little time i could make a stiffener plate for the 205 case.

i am also wondering about the 47re pan to driveline clearance. i think it may be a little tight

ryan

6lcummins 04-18-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 5322787)
yeah, thats the reason i dont already have it. they are a little more scarce. i keep my eyes peeled though.

you really worried about the 205 sploding? ive seen far more blown up aluminum cased transfers than 205s. in fact ive never actually seen the case damaged. ive seen alot of funny other stuff blow. you are just worried about chasing down spare 29 sp cases? i think with a little time i could make a stiffener plate for the 205 case.

i am also wondering about the 47re pan to driveline clearance. i think it may be a little tight

ryan

For the hard to find part of it, but when you make over 500HP the gear to gear wont hold the 1000lb ft of torque very well. NP241DHDs hold well over 1800lb ft and are easier to find.

Dieselwrencher 04-18-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6lcummins (Post 5322868)
For the hard to find part of it, but when you make over 500HP the gear to gear wont hold the 1000lb ft of torque very well. NP241DHDs hold well over 1800lb ft and are easier to find.

What he said.

I've broken inputs and outputs with a divorced 205 truck I had. Then I put a 29sp in it and did it again. Then I purchased the pro fab billet parts and broke those. No warranty and no money back from that deal so yeah I'm nervous of 205's with diesel power. :lol: