The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=568482)

7dee2 08-07-2017 09:52 AM

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Nice! :thumbs:

rgunlock 08-13-2017 08:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got a few things finished up, but it was over 105 heat index all weekend which kicked my butt before I got everything done I wanted to.

Repaint GMC on tailgate band - done.
Finish up "restore" of GMC grille - done.
Mount new map pockets on door panels - done. Jury is still out whether I like the color but the wife does so I guess they stay.
Found and fixed AC drip from evaporator unit - done.

Started trying to chase down various issues with my guage cluster. Speedo isn't working, but after pulling the cluster I drove several feet holding the end of the cable - doesn't move so I guess a problem at the xfer case end. Voltmeter isn't working when in the cluster, but bench tests ok. Same for the clock - it isn't getting any power. Doesn't look like any of the bulbs in the cluster are working. Tested a couple bulbs ok. Any case, I'm trying to figure out how to test the circuit sheet but heat did me in before I got far.

TKCR 08-13-2017 09:35 PM

Everything looks great!! Too bad the map pockets aren't the same color as the armrest, that would look way better. I could never get map pockets to match in my truck, so I just don't have any.

Greenlee 08-13-2017 09:47 PM

That's a beautiful truck!

boynton 08-14-2017 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8015893)
Everything looks great!! Too bad the map pockets aren't the same color as the armrest, that would look way better. I could never get map pockets to match in my truck, so I just don't have any.

I agree with matching the map pockets to the armrest. The best way to test the circuit board is to use a test light. You can visually follow the circuit as you go. Just locate the ground and the other side will obviously be the hot. You should be able to look at the plug that goes into the circuit board and find the black wire that is your ground and start there. I'm sure it is something basic-loose ground bad fuse etc. you can easily see a bad circuit board as they generally melt and turn black where they are bad. You are almost there! It looks great.

rgunlock 08-14-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8015893)

I think that you are right TKCR. It would be easiest to dye the armrest but I like its color better than the pockets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlee (Post 8015905)
That's a beautiful truck!

Thanks Greenlee! Once I get the cluster worked out, its off to get it inspected and plates and start road testing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boynton (Post 8016009)
I agree with matching the map pockets to the armrest. The best way to test the circuit board is to use a test light. You can visually follow the circuit as you go. Just locate the ground and the other side will obviously be the hot. You should be able to look at the plug that goes into the circuit board and find the black wire that is your ground and start there. I'm sure it is something basic-loose ground bad fuse etc. you can easily see a bad circuit board as they generally melt and turn black where they are bad. You are almost there! It looks great.

I did find one spot where the circuit sheet wraps over the edge of the cluster housing to pick up a bulb that is delaminated and looks suspect. I'll get it figured out.

7dee2 08-18-2017 10:24 AM

Road Testing, YES! :clap:

rgunlock 08-20-2017 06:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Chasing gremlins in the wiring this weekend. Wasn't getting any light in the guage cluster, voltmeter wasn't working, speedo not working, etc.

Pulled the cluster back out of the dash and checked all the circuits for continuity. Made up a nice cheat sheet while I was at it. Circuits were all intact, but I do worry about that cheezy wiring connection. All those little copper leads are just kind of blowin' in the wind.

While I had it apart, I'd read about some upgrades on this site. Painted the housing chrome and used the #168 bulbs (all new) rather than the #194. Since I had no light before, its tough to judge improvement but it seems to me that it will be bright enough now.

Had blown fuse which I think explains the voltmeter not working. I am a little concerned because I think I've already replaced that fuse a couple times (not keeping close enough track of it over time). Hopefully, not a problem in my wiring but I'll keep an eye on it. Bench tested my clock and it worked. After replacing the clock fuse I had power at the connector to the clock. Plug the connector into the clock for cluster reassembly and no clock - dang :devil:

Chased down the issue on the speedo. Pretty sure it is an adapter at the NP205 end that's broke. I doubt that adapter was correct for the 33's I put on so likely need to replace it anyway. Just having a little trouble figuring out what I need to get for 350, SM465, NP205, 3.07 gearing and 33 Inch tires. Removed the adapter and connected the speedo cable directly to the NP205. Wife and I drove it down the road and filled a tank at the station. Speedo at least work, and now I've got a couple miles on the odometer :metal:

Next up figure out why the windshield washer isn't working. Wipers themselves work. There are only 2 wires to the washer pump, white and dark blue. White is hot with the key on. I believe that the blue should be ground when the button is pushed on the switch. Tested that at the washer connector end and no continuity to ground when the button was pushed by my lovely assistant. So, maybe I've already killed the new switch messing around with my wiring. Figured what could I lose. Hooked a lead on the pump itself to ground and tried applying 12V to the other lead - nothing from the pump. I'd assume I'd at least hear something. So, maybe a bad pump also.

Trip to the gas station a mile or so down the road was at least uneventful. Steering is going to take some getting used to. I haven't got the front end aligned other than with a tape measure when I reassembled the front end. I don't know that the truck is trying to wander as much as that the steering is VERY sensitive to any movement of the steering wheel. Don't really like it the way it is, but not sure what to do about it and won't do anything until I get the front end aligned. Other than that, the only thing I noticed was noise from the rear of the truck. I'm thinking that the drum has likely got surface rust and the shoes on at least one side are rubbing a bit. Don't think that will be a biggie. Maybe just do the reverse/brake/reverse/brake deal to see if they'll self adjust like they are supposed to.

MTCK 08-20-2017 06:49 PM

Getting soooooo close! Hope the gremlins stop interfering with the electrical side. How did the truck drive with that combo of gears and tires? My '77 had 32's and 3.07 gears when I bought it. 4.10 gears made it a different truck.

rgunlock 08-20-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTCK (Post 8021243)
Getting soooooo close! Hope the gremlins stop interfering with the electrical side. How did the truck drive with that combo of gears and tires? My '77 had 32's and 3.07 gears when I bought it. 4.10 gears made it a different truck.

Still not sure on how it will drive with the 3.07 gears. The only road I've been on has a 35MPH speed limit. Seems to accelerate ok but would really like to get it to highway speeds. Hope to get inspected and plates on it soon so I can take it out. If it doesn't work out, I have some axles ready to go with brand new 4.10 gears, limited slip diffs and a NV4500 for that matter. Had them built for the Apache project, but who knows I may go a whole different direction on that one.

It does feel like it is sooooo close! Honestly though, as much as I want to finish and be driving it, another part of me doesn't want it to be done. It's been my go-to weekend activity for 6 years now. I know I have other projects lined up to keep me busy, and the '59 to build, but somehow it just doesn't feel the same. Am I just nuts???

bilfman 08-21-2017 12:24 AM

This, for ALL it's ups and downs and learning curves has been my favourite build on this site ever. A real man taking the steps to build a real truck and learning as he goes. It don't get more real or better than that. I love checking in. Thank you for sharing. I'll be sad when it's over 😉

rgunlock 08-21-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilfman (Post 8021548)
This, for ALL it's ups and downs and learning curves has been my favourite build on this site ever. A real man taking the steps to build a real truck and learning as he goes. It don't get more real or better than that. I love checking in. Thank you for sharing. I'll be sad when it's over 😉

Wow - thanks! It is so nice to hear this!

7dee2 08-21-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 8021254)
It does feel like it is sooooo close! Honestly though, as much as I want to finish and be driving it, another part of me doesn't want it to be done. It's been my go-to weekend activity for 6 years now. I know I have other projects lined up to keep me busy, and the '59 to build, but somehow it just doesn't feel the same. Am I just nuts???

I don't think so, old habits are just hard to change. Congrats on getting that much closer! :metal:

rgunlock 08-21-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 8021664)
I don't think so, old habits are just hard to change. Congrats on getting that much closer! :metal:

Thanks Brett! Of all my old habits, this is the one I LEAST need to change :lol:

TKCR 08-28-2017 02:12 PM

Hope you and your family are safe and doing well. I'm thinking about all of you down there in the path of that storm. Stay safe and gives us an update when you can.

rgunlock 08-28-2017 02:59 PM

Thanks for checking in TCKR. I've poured 31 inches from my rain gauge since Friday evening but we're still dry and have power. Can't get out, but we're stocked up and doing fine.

TKCR 08-28-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 8026996)
Thanks for checking in TCKR. I've poured 31 inches from my rain gauge since Friday evening but we're still dry and have power. Can't get out, but we're stocked up and doing fine.

Thanks Rick for the update, glad to hear you safe and sound, and not to mention dry.
TK

boynton 08-29-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8027012)
Thanks Rick for the update, glad to hear you safe and sound, and not to mention dry.
TK

I agree. If y'all need anything I can be there somehow shortly!

swamp rat 08-29-2017 11:35 PM

Glad to hear your not in the flooded end of the state!

Greenlee 08-29-2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 8028121)
Glad to hear your not in the flooded end of the state!

I hope you are still high and dry! My family and friends on your side of town were worried about us. Now it seems like you guys are getting it just as bad. My parents live on Clear Creek in Friendswood. They haven't got any water in the house, but have been trapped there for days.

rgunlock 08-30-2017 08:21 AM

Thank you all for checking in. We stayed high and dry through this and I believe "knock on wood" that the worse is over for us. Looks like the storm has passed and the water around us is receding rather than rising.

7dee2 08-30-2017 09:36 AM

Really glad to hear you guys are OK, hopefully life will get back to normal soon.

rgunlock 09-01-2017 09:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thing about constant rain is you get bored. Went ahead and wire-wheeled cleaned up the bench seat frame I got from TKCR when I went through Ohio on my summer road trip. This will appear to be a re-run, but I assure you that a LOT of work was involved in this! Now I have the deluxe seat with full foam and a fold-down back for the ultimate in luxury :lol:

TKCR 09-01-2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 8030072)
Thing about constant rain is you get bored. Went ahead and wire-wheeled cleaned up the bench seat frame I got from TKCR when I went through Ohio on my summer road trip. This will appear to be a re-run, but I assure you that a LOT of work was involved in this! Now I have the deluxe seat with full foam and a fold-down back for the ultimate in luxury :lol:

Looks
Awesome!!

7dee2 09-04-2017 10:29 AM

Beauty, the interior looks great Rick! :ito: