The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

MARTINSR 03-29-2018 12:44 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

1 Attachment(s)
Tonight I sand blasted the area where the gutter goes and the gutter and applied some etch/weld through primer so I can weld the gutter in tomorrow night.

I got it done, ready to prime, then spotted something I missed. I had to weld up little holes and what not 357 times, then spot blast another 274 times when I thought I was done, so I finally finished up, primed it and came in and relaxed. :D

Brian

evilokc 03-29-2018 09:33 PM

vintage air sent me the replacement knob. I knew they would. their customer service has been insane.

Advanced Design 03-29-2018 11:02 PM

Following the 5 minute plan? :)

Seriously, you do so much good work, it would be nice if you had a build thread going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8224700)
Tonight I sand blasted the area where the gutter goes and the gutter and applied some etch/weld through primer so I can weld the gutter in tomorrow night.

I got it done, ready to prime, then spotted something I missed. I had to weld up little holes and what not 357 times, then spot blast another 274 times when I thought I was done, so I finally finished up, primed it and came in and relaxed. :D

Brian

MARTINSR 03-30-2018 12:59 AM

Thanks, I have a build thread over at Hotrodders.com but I don't post much on it. I need to get back to that.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1948...ar-233753.html

Brian

MARTINSR 03-30-2018 01:01 AM

I went to install the gutter at the very least. I fought it for a while, ran out of the proper washer to screw it in, just didn't work, geez, I gave up. I took off for my evening walk and went to the hardware store to get the washers. On my way back home I thought I MUST get something accomplished tonight, so I walked home and out to the garage and finished screwing and fitting the gutter, it's ready for welding tomorrow.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 03-30-2018 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8225640)
On my way back home I thought I MUST get something accomplished tonight, so I walked home and out to the garage and finished screwing and fitting the gutter, it's ready for welding tomorrow.
Brian

Brian,

I am like you - I try to get at least ONE thing accomplished per day on my truck, regardless how insignificant. I post progress reports only here on the WDYDWYTT thread, because my build is pretty mundane and not really worthy of a whole thread.

Black_Sheep 03-31-2018 12:28 AM

Finished blocking the driver's side rear fender and straightened the lower lip of the step for the same side. It was rolled under...

MiraclePieCo 04-01-2018 03:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed trans pan, torque converter, and flex plate, then bolted engine and trans together. Would have installed them if not for having to re-drill and tap the rear trans mount bolt holes that a previous owner had stripped out. Should get engine installed tomorrow, then plan to test fire while all the front sheet metal is still off and everything is accessible.

Black_Sheep 04-01-2018 08:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the rear fenders installed for final mock up and fabbed up a plate to mount a junction box to the rear cross sill.

MARTINSR 04-01-2018 11:19 AM

Good stuff!

Brian

evilokc 04-01-2018 04:50 PM

installed the replacement knob on the a/c controls. I also laid out the main wiring harness and traced every wire while following the schematic to make sure I knew where everything goes and how it fits. I did run into one issue. the main inline fuse needs to mount right next to the battery. they have it mounted for a stock truck with the battery in the floor. mines in the bed all the way at the rear so I will have to move that. shouldn't be to bad. other wise the wiring is pretty straight forward.

Black_Sheep 04-06-2018 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting some color on a few parts so I can clear them tomorrow...

gigamanx 04-06-2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8231907)
Getting some color on a few parts so I can clear them tomorrow...

I don't see any filtration, extraction, or drop clothes. Do you just spray in the garage with a mask and hope for the best? I'm really dreading the idea of trying to build a whole paint booth out of plastic sheets in the garage.

Black_Sheep 04-07-2018 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8231945)
I don't see any filtration, extraction, or drop clothes. Do you just spray in the garage with a mask and hope for the best? I'm really dreading the idea of trying to build a whole paint booth out of plastic sheets in the garage.

I built a booth in the garage when I primed the cab and painted the interior, for small parts like these hinges it was easier to cover the things I didn't want overspray on and shoot them with a detail gun. It's not the optimal set by any means, but the outcome is satisfactory.

evilokc 04-07-2018 10:18 PM

i practiced running beads with my tig welder. its been a few years since I welded with a tig and I'm rusty. its coming back though. a couple more practice session and I will be ready to weld something strong AND pretty. its the first time ever used my new 200amp tig set up. I think I'm going to like it. I have a knarly hole in my firewall that's going to need a patch panel pretty soon.

Black_Sheep 04-07-2018 11:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got some clear on the stuff I painted last night, tore down the drivers door and cleaned off the fossilized weatherstrip adhesive. There's a few screw holes to weld up from some chrome vent shades, then I can flip it over and start block sanding...

evilokc 04-08-2018 11:04 PM

ive been slacking enough that I may have to switch to the 20 minute a day rule. I did get into the garage and get steps 1-5 of the 9 0r 10 wiring steps completed. that's progress and I'm good with progress. I also welded a little more.

robertsjm711 04-08-2018 11:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Disassembled 12 bolt to install a 3.31 gear & carrier I got from the Portland swap meet. I’m glad I did, my spider gears were so worn it took hours to beat out the main pin.
I’m also glad to change the 2.73s, and all for $150 with bearings. Just need shims & seals!

dsraven 04-09-2018 12:16 AM

the diff looks nice and clean. a man after my own heart.
when I do a diff the whole thing comes apart including the vent fitting. the vent fitting thread, the carrier cap threads and the cover threads are chased. I run a wire brush, that fits the axle tubes snug, on a long shaft in my drill all the way up and down each axle tube. then scotchbrite/roloc disc the gasket surfaces and seal areas. then I use a garden sprayer with a long wand and solvent to flush it all out. brake cleaner and compressed air to dry the solvent. shop vac to get the last dried up remains that get stuck in the low spot of the center section. then the internals get a complete cleaning and check/replacement. THEN I am ready for the assembly part. if it is gonna be awhile before the diff goes back together a styro coffee cup in each wheel bearing and pinion bearing hole and cardboard (or the diff cover) over the big hole and a plug in the diff vent hole will keep things clean till you're ready.

MiraclePieCo 04-09-2018 03:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Built a drive shaft.

bitternterra 04-09-2018 03:41 AM

I pull out the old engine for the weekend

gag1025 04-09-2018 05:54 PM

Getting ready to take my Holley carb off and install a Holley FI System. Anyone else do this conversion> If so, how do you like the Holley FI system?

evilokc 04-10-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag1025 (Post 8234313)
Getting ready to take my Holley carb off and install a Holley FI System. Anyone else do this conversion> If so, how do you like the Holley FI system?

I'm curious as well. I had an older version throttle body kit from a company called powerjection. I liked it. it had some issues but overall it was usable. this was in 07 or 08 so I'm sure the new kits are much better.

evilokc 04-10-2018 09:30 PM

ive been trying the 5 minute a day myself. once I get out there the 5 minutes usually turns into real work time but its been fun. today I was trying to install the main line fuse for the a/c.the harness places this close to the end because they believe my battery is in the floor. its nw under my bed. I went to install the fuse by the battery so I could then extend the wires and I didn't have the correct hardware. so my 5 minutes was spent finding a good location for the fuse then going to ace to get hardware. tomorrow I may actually get it bolted in.

gag1025 04-10-2018 09:57 PM

The best thing I did was trash the wiring harness that came on my truck and bought a new complete wiring harness that was pretty much plug and play. It was worth the price of the kit.