The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

Johnny49 09-30-2012 07:20 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

1 Attachment(s)
Last coat of urethane on the last four pieces of the original bed wood... Here's a little sample of what the whole thing will look like:

pvienneau 09-30-2012 03:30 PM

Cleaned the Bell housing on my 49

mknittle 09-30-2012 05:11 PM

I discovered that the bell housing I was going to use is a buick(starter on the right) i need one with the starter on the left. So it looks like i get to swap it for the one in my jeep.

Dan in Pasadena 09-30-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny49 (Post 5620524)
Last coat of urethane on the last four pieces of the original bed wood... Here's a little sample of what the whole thing will look like:

Amazing that the original wood is in one piece and reuseable at all!

Rude Dude 09-30-2012 06:40 PM

Installed the front sheet metal, a word of advice do not buy off shore chrome grills. I spent two days trying to alin the grille area finally figured out the grill was the culprit I put painted one back on and everyhing lined up perfect. I will body work the front sheet metal and have my grill rechromed no more fighting that made in tawain or china garbage!!!!!!:pty:

sickred72 09-30-2012 08:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
cut out my bedsides for my mini tubs

beanyard 10-01-2012 08:43 AM

[It looks like right next to where the voltage regulator was originally installed, there is a cursive capitol letter G in the original black paint. I wonder if the guy who painted the cab put his initial in the fresh paint?

Also, on the firewall right above the seam line right in front of the driver, the original color of the truck is marked in raised hand written letters under the paint. Anybody else have their color marked on the original primer prior to painting]

I think they wtote the options on the firewall such as color and if it had a hydromatic etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daze57 10-01-2012 12:51 PM

after a lot of thought - i pulled the heads off the engine - truck has been quiet for years and i figured that with this heat and bein in a hot garage all these years new seals would be in order .Goin to machine shop this week and get the heads compleatly gone thru. did bottom end last year so i know them seals are good ( i hope )

OrrieG 10-01-2012 04:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hit a dead end on the fuel door. Worked on the ac install. Noticed a saggy bed on one side, measurement revealed driver spring is flatter. Good news is I have a good spare set, but bummer is I will need to clean and install them. One step forward, two back deal!

Rude Dude 10-02-2012 09:28 PM

I know the Feeling had to take my front china built chrome repo grille off and put stock painted one back on to realize that was causing my front center clip issues!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 5623171)
Hit a dead end on the fuel door. Worked on the ac install. Noticed a saggy bed on one side, measurement revealed driver spring is flatter. Good news is I have a good spare set, but bummer is I will need to clean and install them. One step forward, two back deal!

Hot Rod Todd 10-02-2012 09:33 PM

I took mine out and collected another complete XJ6 Jag rear end ($200) for a mate and then came back & started again on putting in my sound deadening.

Also looked at the pickup bed & wondered about a good replacement for the plywood floor in it. Thought maybe some of that marine carpet would mean that I could still use it to cart stuff around, but stuff thrown in the back wouldnt scratch.

A sarcastic mate suggested that fake green lawn stuff, so maybe its not such a smart option afterall.

Daze57 10-03-2012 12:52 AM

sickred72

nice lookin truck -would like to see more picts of it - good stance and they look like v nice wheels

oneoff 10-05-2012 12:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just finished disassembling the cab to get it ready for paint. I have a thread started on the build but to recap, found this 69 C/10 donor truck recently and have been planning this build for some time. The new wood SWB bed is almost complete, the cab is ready to go into paint prep, now that it's all apart and the LS drive train will be on order soon.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=541803

Attachment 994510

Attachment 994511

arturo7 10-06-2012 08:32 PM

Trailered the chassis to a pay and spray to blast off all of the gunk. Used up a sandwich bag full of quarters from the change stash. What a mess! The trailer, the bay, and me, were all the essence of filth by the time I finished. Took another fistful of quarters to rinse everything down.

When I got back, I removed everything from the chassis except for the suspension. Hopefully, I can get it blasted and coated this week.

mknittle 10-06-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arturo7 (Post 5632658)
Trailered the chassis to a pay and spray to blast off all of the gunk. Used up a sandwich bag full of quarters from the change stash. What a mess! The trailer, the bay, and me, were all the essence of filth by the time I finished. Took another fistful of quarters to rinse everything down.

When I got back, I removed everything from the chassis except for the suspension. Hopefully, I can get it blasted and coated this week.

:lol:Thats why I scrape asmuch of the crud off with a putty knife and paint scraper before I pressure wash:lol:

Chevette 10-06-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5632674)
:lol:Thats why I scrape asmuch of the crud off with a putty knife and paint scraper before I pressure wash:lol:

Good point, Mr. Kittle.

Sin7 10-06-2012 11:04 PM

put it to work. Made a storage run.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../404168517.jpg

Amorget 10-06-2012 11:13 PM

Went to the swap meet looking for doors... bought an entire project of a 57 GMC cab, fenders, doors, and a whole stack of other parts. Guy wasn't parting it and the cab is in WAY better shape then our current cab. Includes chrome Chevy grill, GMC hood emblem, new windshield that we've seen. Oh, and the cab comes with a title. Also comes with a 1 ton frame with a dump bed, not 100% sure what we will do with that.

OrrieG 10-07-2012 12:16 AM

Looked for gas filler, cleaned up work bench, worked on AC wiring routing.

crossfire84 10-07-2012 09:12 AM

mandatory work this weekend, arrrrg.

beanyard 10-07-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin7 (Post 5632928)
put it to work. Made a storage run.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../404168517.jpg

Very nice truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

handyhands 10-07-2012 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my first patch panel from Brothers, cab corner. Cut the cab corner out and worked on the inter corner. Then I cut the new corner to fit, still needs more trimming. Not real happy with the way it fits, but I think I can make it work.

OrrieG 10-07-2012 09:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
got this far on ac underdash stuff, what a wrestling match!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Midgets50 10-08-2012 11:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Came home with this beast friday. didnt realize how big it was til i had to us a come along and hand crank it up the trailer. lucky for me all 6 tires were still full. got it home hooked a battery to it and almost everything worked. just gotta figure out why the turn signals aren't working. Gotta clean the gas tank out and put some fuel in this weekend then gonna try and start it. can wait to get this beast rolling down the road. And except for a dead mouse here and there the interior is amazing

RINC 10-08-2012 05:08 PM

Dropped off new front wheel bearings. Got a couple new pics.

As it was when I got it.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...54Chevy007.jpg

Today. All shiney.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...54Chevy022.jpg

Johnny49 10-08-2012 08:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just trying to keep at it doing whatever I can until I have the cha-ching for all the brake drums and front bearings. Finished taking the bed apart today. As you can tell by the side-by-side pic, the rear sill is pretty much toast. Gonna see if my body man friend can clean up the fenders for me. Hopefully he can fix that right rear side as well, where the sill goes in. Looks like that was messed up a long time ago, since someone had run a small bead welding the sill to the side to hold it together...

Hot Rod Todd 10-09-2012 05:43 AM

Tidied up my shed (about 3500sq ft in an industrial subdivision) so I had more room to work on my truck, did a quick internet search for new running boards in the USA as second hand ones down here are about $350 each and they still need working before they can be fitted. (is US $280 good or bad?)

And continued on with the sound deadening in the cab.

Tomorrow will go to an upholstery supplier to see what they have in the carpet line for a fair price

la hi 10-09-2012 12:54 PM

Now have 4 new tires. Took the 57/454ci/200r4 for a run and the truck held steady at 80 with no vibration. The 200r4 held the rpm's at 2500 for 80 and 2400 for 70.

OrrieG 10-09-2012 08:18 PM

Got the ac underdash bolted in, installed the deluxe heat stuff and got a couple of cables hooked up. Just took a mid afternoon break away from the work computer. I have found that you cannot take VA instructions literally and in the actual order or you get to do stuff twice. I am very pleased with the way the hoses are ran, but realized I forgot to put the black insulating putty stuff on the hoses. I can get my hands back there so it shouldn't be too bad.

arturo7 10-09-2012 09:26 PM

Ha! One of my former customers, whom I had written off as a loss, sent me a payment today. Although it was 2 years late, it will only take me 2 days to spend it.

Picked up an AAW harness today and plan to buy a front disc kit tomorrow. Looks like the project may be finished sooner than expected...

lowdownstar 10-10-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arturo7 (Post 5638460)
Ha! One of my former customers, whom I had written off as a loss, sent me a payment today. Although it was 2 years late, it will only take me 2 days to spend it.

Picked up an AAW harness today and plan to buy a front disc kit tomorrow. Looks like the project may be finished sooner than expected...

good for you!!!

Ray

51 okie 10-10-2012 12:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I haven't done anything on her today but today marks 2 years since I got her. She's gone from this...... to this. Not much different on the outside but it's what's inside that counts. Happy trucking!!

OrrieG 10-12-2012 08:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Painted my old truck steering wheel and other small parts. Pic doesn't show it but its metallic black. In the before pic you can't see how bad it was cracked, every spoke had big cracks on each end. I have about 12 hours in on the repair and paint.

Daze57 10-13-2012 02:52 AM

great lookin wheel

Bardahl 10-13-2012 03:27 AM

Oops

wuss721 10-13-2012 10:35 AM

Yesterday I installed a cassette deck in my dads 53 suburban. Yes a cassette deck that's what he wanted. Here are some pictures of what I did.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...1350101789.jpg

I used these 4" speakers

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...1350101790.jpg

The test fit
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...1350101795.jpg

Here it is welded in place. I learned never to use a welder on an extension cord no good
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...1350101796.jpg

Here it is put back together and those speakers sound good. All that for under $50. My dad was at work so when he came home we went out and drove around.
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...1350101802.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

rollinrooster 10-13-2012 07:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
tapped the threads in my feshly painted motor.

mknittle 10-13-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollinrooster (Post 5645338)
tapped the threads in my feshly painted motor.

Looks good in green! nice for a change.:metal:

Oklahoma_k5 10-13-2012 11:05 PM

Took out what I did two weeks ago moving one side back so it was square.

Mostly I spent the Day asking myself, "why didn't I take the Cab off when I started?" If id done that I could have x'd out the whole frame in the beginning. Just because the front is square doesn't mean the rest is too.

mknittle 10-14-2012 09:39 PM

I unexpectedly got a spot in the shop for a while. my dad and I got the cab off and I drilled out a few rivets. tomorrow i will get the last two runningboard hangers off and make the backing plates to weld some nuts to. that way i can bolt the hangers on. I also need to modify my trans crossmember so I can box the center section of the frame. Hopefully I can get some more odds and ends tied up while i have a nice floor to work on.