The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

TJ's Chevy 09-24-2013 09:51 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Awesome!

Lugnutz65 09-24-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6284549)
Awesome!

Yep! I know you'll agree that it's good to have another L6 back in the game!

donthekawguy 09-25-2013 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got the bed done and bumper on. Lots of time but I saved some money and I get to say I did it. It was fun for a while having my 2 yo grand daughter hand me tools and nuts and bolts while I was under the truck. Then she got tired and the fun ended. :lol:

robber grin 09-26-2013 07:59 AM

racecougar - I'm a fan - your work looks great!

Don - Bed turned out nice - DONE - you gotta like that / can you come up and help me figure mine out? I'll see if my grandaughter can help us too.

Yesterday I did FINALLY score a big back glass in nearby Greensburg PA. Guy has a 64-66 BBW cab setting out in his parking lot on the rockers that needs rockers and corners but no For Sale sign or anything - so I left a note asking what the story was. He called me back and it was for sale. He said he would sell me just the glass so I pick it up Saturday. You just never know till you ask.

LMC did have the BBW at a reasonable price and reasonable cost to ship so that was my next alternative - but I really wonder how you could ship a window that size and not break it.

Come on Friday -
rg

racecougar 09-26-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robber grin (Post 6286460)
racecougar - I'm a fan - your work looks great!

Thank you, sir! :)

66-PMD-GMC 09-26-2013 10:28 AM

Putting together a 62 frame this week. :metal:
Pulled the torsion front end and replaced with a coil unit.
Drop springs and spindles, disk brakes etc.. etc..
The rear is a different story. ;)
Shock location and angle absolutely sucks.
Need to make a change but not exactly sure what. :uhmk:
The 60-62 chassis' are a different critter all together.

:5150:

Vernski 09-26-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donthekawguy (Post 6285856)
Finally got the bed done and bumper on. Lots of time but I saved some money and I get to say I did it. It was fun for a while having my 2 yo grand daughter hand me tools and nuts and bolts while I was under the truck. Then she got tired and the fun ended. :lol:

Looking good Don it's lots work but well worth it..Vernski:truck:

OldTrucksRule 09-28-2013 11:32 AM

Finished installing the apitong tongue-in-groove wood on my flatbed '65. While the wood was off, replaced the fuel tank sender, now properly grounded too, in the rear fuel tank. Topped off the project with a new Autometer Prestige series fuel gauge. All is good. Drove it to the Salvation Army yesterday to donate some furniture. The guys working there went nuts checking out the rig.:mm:

tincan1966 09-28-2013 02:41 PM

Just some maintenance today on the DD'65- had to replace a leaking rear intake gasket. While I was there, switched out to a truck TBI intake and a different distributor. Some cleaning and some rattle can rebuild as well.

Nothing too exciting, just all in a days work.

markeb01 09-28-2013 02:48 PM

I'm tuned in to see what you come up with. If there was a bolt on aftermarket solution available, I would have replaced the stock arrangment long ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 6286646)
Putting together a 62 frame this week. :metal:

The rear is a different story. ;)
Shock location and angle absolutely sucks.
Need to make a change but not exactly sure what. :uhmk:
The 60-62 chassis' are a different critter all together.

:5150:

TJ's Chevy 09-28-2013 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I did with my truck today! 4 loads worth! Sifted out to!

TJ's Chevy 09-28-2013 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately I have to upload one at a time. Here's a picture of Dad and I finishing the raised beds for the fall crop. I'm the one in the blue shirt.

robber grin 09-28-2013 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday we had blocked and shot the inner fenders with black epoxy primer. Primed the grill recess in the filler panel with black too. Shot the firewall one more time while we were at it. Had to buzz a small delete plate out for the heater since mine was too big.

Bolted it all on the truck today. The Chief of Staff even helped us for a while!

I didn't have any of the rubber that was stapled on the inners for the gap at the firewall so I grabbed a trunk seal off a late 90's Buick at the boneyard for $2 and cut it to length. It has the rigid channel and about the right looking shape too. Worked GREAT! Even had enough factory adhesive in the channel to help with the application to the inners.

Then we combined the chrome 60 and 61 grill parts we had to make one decent chrome grill without any lettering. Replaced all the adjusters and wired it up with four good bulbs that match. Then bolted it on too.

Things were going so good we had to see what the powder coated front bumper was going to look like on the truck. Hanging on two bolts for now.

rg & rayray

Hipper 09-29-2013 07:35 AM

I bought a 79 suburban back that I used to own to put the 454 turbo 400 into my 65 1ton camper!

mud.man.rj 09-29-2013 02:08 PM

OK Hipper, how do you afford to register "all" those cars/trucks. wow, the insurance company must rub their hands.

NEWFISHER 09-29-2013 03:33 PM

Finished restoring a deluxe wheel, polished the last bit of stainless for the wi ndshield , hung a reAr bumper and parked it inside waiting for the windshield guy to come tomorrow to glue the front and back glass in
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps294ff276.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps294ff276.jpg

tincan1966 09-29-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 6291476)
OK Hipper, how do you afford to register "all" those cars/trucks. wow, the insurance company must rub their hands.

As a fellow Kansan, I can say that all antique-qualified vehicles are only about $20 a year to tag. Insurance varies on how much you use them, etc,etc.

I know the tags AND insurance on our daily driver is only $200/year

ncoonen 09-29-2013 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed a spare tire winch under the back of the bed on my '63 long fleet. More pictures and a description are in "Winch for underbed spare" thread.
...ned.

Hipper 09-29-2013 06:28 PM

well some of them are project but as tincan said its like 20 bucks a year for and antique and the insurance is like 100-150 bucks a year for full coverage from hagerty!

ClemsonChevy 09-29-2013 09:26 PM

Took engine down to replace gaskets. Intake to exhaust gasket was gone. I took the timing cover off with the pan still on. Am I gonna be able to get it back on with a good gasket sealed surface? How far would I have to lift the engine to do the oil pan and rear main seal?
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...psa30608c2.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Lugnutz65 09-29-2013 10:13 PM

I installed the HEI on my 250ci. Still have to play with the timing and plug gap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mUh_ceeX8k

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...psfd964fb9.jpg

mud.man.rj 09-29-2013 10:19 PM

Nothing like electronic ignition over old points, a good step up.

'65 chevy lover 09-29-2013 11:12 PM

Finished up installing the fuel pump. After that it was removing a broken right exhaust manifold...was quite the PITA!!

verdell 09-30-2013 03:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Spent the weekend redoing my Apache in Hot Rod Satin Black. This "satin" has a little more gloss than I'd like though. Still have work
to do on the tailgate but I hung it on to see what it would look like. We'll be "Cruisin the Coast" next week!

Lugnutz65 09-30-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verdell (Post 6293159)
Spent the weekend redoing my Apache in Hot Rod Satin Black. This "satin" has a little more gloss than I'd like though. Still have work
to do on the tailgate but I hung it on to see what it would look like. We'll be "Cruisin the Coast" next week!

First picture looks more glossy than the 2nd. Looks good to me, but you should make it how you want it. Keep up the good work.