The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533920)

1963c-10 05-27-2014 01:42 PM

Re: Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build...

Nice work on the engine.....can't go wrong with finned covers....I run them on all of my build too.

Ta2Don 05-27-2014 04:59 PM

Thanx for the comments guys... :metal:

More body work and other shenanigans in the worx...:bann:

After touching base with Dwcardfan, a fellow Arkansaw member... I think I will be working a deal for the passenger door I just scored... :uhmk:
He's in need and turns out I will have an extra hood on hand... I plan on turning one of the 2 hoods I have into a cowl hood, but originally planned on sacrificing the remaining one for the center rear section of metal with the detail lines...:waah: Turns out I will end up with an extra hood...;)

Now to decide which one to fly... they are in need of equal amounts of repair, the only difference is one is Chevy and the other is GMC... Decisions...Decisions:thud:

1963c-10 05-27-2014 05:01 PM

Go chevy!!!!

Grizz1963 05-27-2014 05:11 PM

Interestingly, I would have gone GMC to create more of a Frankenstein.

Ultimately, you are not doing a stock resto, so the aesthetic should be your driver.

coulter 06-12-2014 01:34 AM

that engine is looking good don!!! i have to say i like the gmc hoods better

Ta2Don 06-12-2014 08:42 AM

Thanx for the input guys...:metal::metal::metal:

Current plans are to fly the GMC hood first… that is, once I have this one put together and running...:uhmk:

…then I will get on the cowl hood project using my stock Chevy Hood...:metal:
just can't bring myself to cut the GMC hood due to the lack of availability...:gmc2:

Truck time has been scarce recently…life and whatnot...:waah: Yesterday I snuck away from work and straightened up the shed and spent some time evaluating some things… Apostcard in the mail from Eastwood advised that my replacement DA should arrive today...:bann: So, this weekend I should be getting dusty...:metal:

Another issue I have been purposely avoiding is my frame… I say purposely, because I knew the answer before I even started checking...:sumo: Due to an accident, sometime in my truck's past, the front is tweaked to one side… the make matters worse, some IDIOT cut the frame horns off and re-welded them in order to mount the bumper level...:dohh: They are not level, the passenger side is dropped about a half an inch and the Driver's side is almost back in the original location… Sure don't know why that one was cut and welded...:banghead:

Fortunately, I am doing some trading this morning with Donnie (aka Dwcardfan) he has a need for a passenger door… I need some original hood metal for my Cowl project, he has what I need from an unusable hood...:metal: On top of that, he has a SWB frame that I may be using...:metal: Plus there is a guy locally that has a frame as well, but it may already be sold, just waiting for the decision..Seems the buyer is dragging his feet....:confused: Pics this weekend...

TJ's Chevy 06-12-2014 11:10 AM

Nice work Brotha! You may wanna jump on the frame Donnie has...be easier then trying to fix yers. :chevy:

Ta2Don 06-12-2014 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the Chevy hood that I got from Dwcardfan… It is dinged across the top near one front corner and the front and side panels are in pretty poor shape, but I only need some metal from the top center section and the braces for my cowl project...:uhmk:

After meeting with Donnie, and his friend Rusty, this morning I was able to put him in touch with Daniel (65Truckowner) who is in need of an auto trans column… Donnie has one available so they are working that out… One of the benefits of this GREAT community we all get to enjoy...:bann:

Thanks again Donnie! Have fun at the Swap Meet...:metal:

Ta2Don 06-12-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6718118)
Nice work Brotha! You may wanna jump on the frame Donnie has...be easier then trying to fix yers. :chevy:

That is probably the direction I will take… although I will have to be a bit patient as that frame still has most of the truck, albeit rotten, still attached...:mm:

1963c-10 06-12-2014 11:23 AM

I don't know what I'd do without this community and the parts and knowledge that I get from it on the trucks.

likaroc13 06-12-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6718139)
I don't know what I'd do without this community and the parts and knowledge that I get from it on the trucks.

x2!

Good score on the hood, & maybe the frame deal will work out as well. It's great to have a community of fellow enthusiasts willing to help each other out. Hope you get to make some progress this weekend!

McMurphy 06-12-2014 12:27 PM

I am with you on getting a new frame man, I would do that instead of trying to fix one that has been smashed and hacked up too.
I hope you are able to do something with that hood, otherwise it is a great source for patch and fab sheet metal !!

Rock on man, hope to see some more progress pics from you soon on this truck.... like your tail lights all done up, maybe? :metal:

65truckowner 06-12-2014 06:07 PM

Thanks Don for finding a column. He is suppose to send me pictures today when he gets home. I am headed to Petit Jean in the morning to see what else I can find.

Ta2Don 06-12-2014 06:08 PM

Happy Hunting! :metal:

dwcardfan 06-12-2014 07:28 PM

Hey Don it was great to finally meet you. Thanks again for the door. We did not score a lot today at the swap meet but got a few things. I did see a few nice rigs though. Let me know if you need anything else. If you end up needing that frame just let me know. I thing we could have it stripped down in an afternoon. I sent Daniel some pics of that column. Thanks again Brother

Ta2Don 06-12-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan (Post 6718715)
] If you end up needing that frame just let me know. I thing we could have it stripped down in an afternoon.

I will get with you real soon about that frame… ;)

Ta2Don 06-12-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6718139)

I always mention the Great Members here When I introduce someone to this site...

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6718197)
x2!

Good score on the hood, & maybe the frame deal will work out as well. It's great to have a community of fellow enthusiasts willing to help each other out. Hope you get to make some progress this weekend!

Got 2 frames lined up, so one will pan out for sure… even if I have to take a trip to Strawberry Arkansas...:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6718199)
I am with you on getting a new frame man, I would do that instead of trying to fix one that has been smashed and hacked up too.
I hope you are able to do something with that hood, otherwise it is a great source for patch and fab sheet metal !!

Rock on man, hope to see some more progress pics from you soon on this truck.... like your tail lights all done up, maybe? :metal:

As long as life does't slap me too hard in the next few days, I plan on some Truck Time this weekend...:metal:
Gotta say Murph, you are making some serious progress as you get shorter...:uhmk:

Bomp 06-12-2014 08:38 PM

Sorry to hear about the bent frame issue. Hope you snag one up quick like.
Otherwise,,,,, if you need to give me a call I can gladly talk you through all the hackin, slashin and choppin process like I did.

Ta2Don 06-12-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6718846)
Sorry to hear about the bent frame issue. Hope you snag one up quick like.
Otherwise,,,,, if you need to give me a call I can gladly talk you through all the hackin, slashin and choppin process like I did.

Thanks for lookin' in on me….:mm:
Both frames I have found are GMC frames with Leaf Springs in the back, so I will be flipping a rearend to the top of the springs… :metal:
Looking forward to seeing you operate on that door skin...:bann:

Although my confidence and motivation find me digging deeper into this build than originally planned, for now I will sit back in awe and watch you and others get deep into the hackin,' slashin,' and choppin! :clap: Then again, depending on what I find when I flip an axle, I may call if I feel the need for a C Notch...:metal:

65truckowner 06-12-2014 09:24 PM

Hey dwcardfan I sent you a pm.

dwcardfan 06-12-2014 09:33 PM

Got it 65. I sent the pics again. I think to the right email this time. :lol::lol::lol:

65truckowner 06-13-2014 07:00 AM

Thanks got them. I will let you know soon.

Ta2Don 06-15-2014 11:34 PM

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!! :wave:

Updates Coming Up in a few…:mm:

Ta2Don 06-15-2014 11:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My Father's Day gift… TRUCK TIME!!! :bann::metal::hot:

Started the day off getting both Inner Fenders undercoated and in Primer…;)
then I tackled the Inner Door Panels...:uhmk: If you have read much of my thread at all, you know the disdain I have for whichever PO decided Black Paint with Rainbow Metal-flake was cool...:sumo: Door Panels are now sans metal-flake…;)

Today's Progress to be continued...:chevy:

Ta2Don 06-16-2014 12:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Once I had the Door Panels in Primer with the backsides done in undercoating… I moved to getting the front fenders in primer….:uhmk: Once I started sanding...:sumo: I found areas lurking just beneath the surface of the old paint that required attention… This is the Right fender that I had patched...:mm: Here are the pix...