The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

198plus 02-16-2010 12:35 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Looks great. Don't you love doing things twice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside (Post 3799500)
Bolted up the flywheel and tranny to the engine and stabbed it into the truck. Of course I forgot to bend the cab seam up so the 700R4 would clear, so tomorrow I will pull it back out and get my mini sledge out and then put it back.

Turkey 02-16-2010 02:10 PM

Installed license plate lights on the bumper. One on each side of the plate.

panelrodder81 02-16-2010 02:38 PM

Last night actually, but I got my power steering running. Been driving the thing around without since the motor swap... that sucked. When I did the motor swap, my cousin pulled the power steering pump off and I hadn't made a mental note of how the brackets went together so it took a little while of playing to get it back together. Not sure if it is right but at least it works! Sure made driving in to work this morning a lot more enjoyable. Still have some kinks to work out though... like a tune up.

scooterskoolkustoms 02-16-2010 02:57 PM

thought about digging it out from under 3' of snow,then said f**k it went back inside and drank a beer =)

jbgroby 02-16-2010 07:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Stopped by the painter today and approved the primer coat. This is getting so close I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Or is that a freight train?

jbgroby 02-16-2010 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more. Now comes the seam sealer and a second coat of primer then the paint.

Rob H. 02-16-2010 07:37 PM

Jake I'm glad to see some work on the old girl. Hadn't kept up on your's much since Katrina!

markeb01 02-16-2010 07:43 PM

Looks beautiful. Now all you have to do is the easy part - putting it all back together!;)

jgh64pkup 02-17-2010 12:12 AM

man i love the way those gmc dashes look

SCOTI 02-17-2010 02:06 AM

I finished up my truck-arm spacers....

816allen 02-17-2010 02:52 AM

Well i put some custom cruiser wagon rear springs in cut those cut all bump stops new brakes up front new shocks up front have some for rears but working on getting the bolts off...may need to cut...new exhaust with a off brand cherry bomb but dont like it gonna try straight pipe out back see what it sounds like...this wasnt done today more like last week but my computer has been down so heres the update sorry pic sucks....

http://i47.tinypic.com/18y9s.jpg

jbgroby 02-17-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 3805246)
Looks beautiful. Now all you have to do is the easy part - putting it all back together!;)

Mark,
Believe it or not, to me that is the easy part. Hell, think about it - It's nothing more than a 1/1 scale model, Right? ;)

Can't be no harder than this.

http://news.webshots.com/photo/12085...54402330TJdQix

Jake

markeb01 02-17-2010 10:49 PM

My relays arrived today, so I plugged them in and completed the headlight relay project. What a difference in light output. Been reading every thread I could find on headlight relays, and how a 10% reduction in voltage to the lamps can mean a 30% reduction in light output. After seeing the improvement, I'm inclined to believe those numbers.

I also made up a jumper harness to keep the low beams on when running the high beams. It simply reroutes power from the headlight switch to the low beam circuit, and the dimmer switch only operates the high beams. The benefit being the low beams operate normally, but do not dim out when running the high beams. I happened to have enough parts from left over projects to build the jumper without spending a dime.

Here's a picture of the jumper harness.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3914/jumperw.jpg

ruffrida2005 02-17-2010 11:49 PM

Hey Mark can you post a setup that you ran for the lights? or link it to your thread if it's in there.

SCOTI 02-18-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3808208)
Hey Mark can you post a setup that you ran for the lights? or link it to your thread if it's in there.

x2.

I got my rear bag 'hats' welded up. I just need the right length bolts for some upper 'studs' & I'll have them finished up. Pics are in my build thread.

smoked1 02-18-2010 02:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Put it in the shop to install headlight relays and thought jeez why cant it be summer again!:smoke: Oh yeah cant wait to take the trike out!

markeb01 02-18-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3808208)

I've completed a schematic for the headlight jumper and am working on the relay diagram now. I'll post details to the FAQ thread shortly.

Frizzle Fry 02-18-2010 03:08 PM

bought a SWB bed, gate, and rollpan (may not use the rollpan), for the six fo! one of these weekends I'll take a break from the clowncar and chop that sucka! also have a big window inner panel, glass, seal and SWB side trim ready to go.

Turkey 02-19-2010 07:30 PM

installed cherry bomb!!!

SCOTI 02-19-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 3809244)
bought a SWB bed, gate, and rollpan (may not use the rollpan), for the six fo! one of these weekends I'll take a break from the clowncar and chop that sucka! also have a big window inner panel, glass, seal and SWB side trim ready to go.

More slicing & dicing..... You need to hang a sign outside of the garage: Mike's Chop Shop.

scooterskoolkustoms 02-20-2010 07:42 AM

finally a day above freezing,So I took a snow shovel and dug mine out,then went inside and had a beer!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to move back to CALIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thunder71 02-20-2010 10:02 AM

i am doing the headlight harness upgrade on my 66 & finishing it today & seen this jumper harness & would like to know more about it...i am running the halogen bulbs & was wondering about the heat from running both high & low at the same time...i like the idea & want to know more about this setup,thanks:chevy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 3808020)
My relays arrived today, so I plugged them in and completed the headlight relay project. What a difference in light output. Been reading every thread I could find on headlight relays, and how a 10% reduction in voltage to the lamps can mean a 30% reduction in light output. After seeing the improvement, I'm inclined to believe those numbers.

I also made up a jumper harness to keep the low beams on when running the high beams. It simply reroutes power from the headlight switch to the low beam circuit, and the dimmer switch only operates the high beams. The benefit being the low beams operate normally, but do not dim out when running the high beams. I happened to have enough parts from left over projects to build the jumper without spending a dime.

Here's a picture of the jumper harness.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3914/jumperw.jpg

ChopperDr 02-20-2010 02:10 PM

I just spent 2 hours welding up the seam on the front of my hood. I still have to grind it back, and drop off the front inner hood support at the blasters' shop.

Chopzilla

SCOTI 02-20-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunder71 (Post 3812885)
i am doing the headlight harness upgrade on my 66 & finishing it today & seen this jumper harness & would like to know more about it...i am running the halogen bulbs & was wondering about the heat from running both high & low at the same time...i like the idea & want to know more about this setup,thanks:chevy:

Read the link to MAD Enterprises.....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=387693

They have some good tech covering this question & other good ones.

markeb01 02-20-2010 03:11 PM

Actually, here's the link to the MAD Enterprises article:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml

Regarding the jumper - since the second (high beam) filament in the low beam lamp is the dimmer of the two, I don't see it pulling all that much additional juice, and it's being powered by the high beam circuit - so it's not like it's doubling up the draw on the low beam circuit. Regardless, this is why I changed out all the wiring to 14 gauge. Long ago I used to run halogen low beam lamps, but they are known to have the shortest bulb life of anything on the market, and I got tired of replacing them. I drive with my headlights on all the time, so I switched back to standard sealed beams which last for decades. When replacing the headlight harness recently, I discovered the dimmer switch connector on the the low beam wire was deformed from heat. I'm assuming this happened back when I was running halogen bulbs on the 18 gauge wiring. With 14 gauge wiring throughout the system, I don't see running both filaments in the low beam bulbs as a problem.