The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Not Another Rebuild Thread.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=487100)

flips72 02-04-2013 07:27 PM

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

dang,the speaker box came out real nice and the dash looks great also,the mans got some skills guys:metal:

pdxhall 02-05-2013 03:38 AM

Great work, man. :metal:

McMurphy 02-05-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5865797)
Lookin Good Brother, Move is done, just finishing up some additional construction that will take a couple more weekends, hope to be back on the project by the end of Feb... Chompin at the bit to be sure!!! Keep up the great work, and to put in my 2 cents worth, bore out that center hole for the speaker grilles...

I think I will bore one of the speaker grille centers out... the more I think on it the more I believe I would like it.
If not, making a replacement would only be a 20 minute job... :smoke:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5866291)
Like it:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Bomp.
I think before I post any more photos, a video is in order.
We talk about making "progress" and doing "work" so it is probably time there was a video that showed some of just that !!
If I dont get too wrapped up in the truck tonight I hope to get the time to edit what I have so far in footage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5867570)
dang,the speaker box came out real nice and the dash looks great also,the mans got some skills guys:metal:

Glad you like it Flips, though to be honest, the grilles are not quite done yet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 5868551)
Great work, man. :metal:

Thanks for checking up on me sir! I know you are at an intense stage i nyour build right now.

I think the next one of these though I am certainly taking the cab off the frame. It just makes some of the work more practical to do (not to mention comfortable).

Thanks for looking, I think I still have some tricks up my sleeve yet to show you all, so stay tuned !!

Modges'66 02-05-2013 01:24 PM

Some really cool touches McMurph, and like Flip said a bit ago, You will probably be driving it by the time that the snow melts........in August!!! Ha-Ha-Ha!

McMurphy 02-05-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 5869130)
Some really cool touches McMurph, and like Flip said a bit ago, You will probably be driving it by the time that the snow melts........in August!!! Ha-Ha-Ha!

Hope so, deadline for road worthy is 4th of July weekend !! :metal: :flag:

88Lt1wagon 02-06-2013 04:17 PM

I just read through your whole thread, very inspiring, but I really need a shop and some tools...

truckzilla 02-06-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5838807)
Here you may be able to see the one thing that ultimately sold me on these I just loved the font style, the moon tipped needles, and the classic 30-40s era style of the look they have! Every time I see these I think of the movie "Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow". Kinda cheesy I know but that retro-alternate-scifi stuff really appeals to me sometimes :metal:

I love that movie! That Buck Roger's serial look and feel! The mix of old and future! Also the fact that it was a movie with an actress that actually had a figure instead of just a stick figure with a face, what's not to like! :lol:

Great guages as well! Looking forward to the next video Murph!

KroAutomotiveInc 02-06-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5869277)
Hope so, deadline for road worthy is 4th of July weekend !! :metal: :flag:

hope you make your deadline man as always mine are about a year away from what i plan lol

McMurphy 02-08-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Lt1wagon (Post 5871735)
I just read through your whole thread, very inspiring, but I really need a shop and some tools...

Wow that is a lot to take in, and knowing how disorganized this thread has been, reading it all in one sitting could be painful!
My thread should come with the disclaimer:
"I am not sure I know what I am doing!"
:lol:
I am glad you liked it though, and thanks for taking a look !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckzilla (Post 5871796)
I love that movie! That Buck Roger's serial look and feel! The mix of old and future! Also the fact that it was a movie with an actress that actually had a figure instead of just a stick figure with a face, what's not to like! :lol:

Great guages as well! Looking forward to the next video Murph!

Well TZ, here it is !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc (Post 5872206)
hope you make your deadline man as always mine are about a year away from what i plan lol

I hope I make it too, we are looking forward to driving it out of Alaska in September !!

********************************************************************************************

About this video:
If you have not been following Bomp's build, then you have not witnessed the progression of videos between he and I.
I had to answer the obvious question just last night, No he and I have never met outside the parameters of this board.
That will be a day of video in and of itself I think !!

Anyways; I just wanted to show what some daily progress on one of these trucks looks like, and spoof off the video challenge between Bomp and I.
In this vid, I am finishing some cosmetic additions to my dash, and what not, nothing cerebral or instructional this time, just some good clean fun...

Hope you enjoy!!

http://youtu.be/TwinpSseXt0

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TwinpSseXt0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seems YouTube has made some changes and I no longer know how to embed these videos on this site....

McMurphy 02-08-2013 01:41 PM

Well shucks....
I guess the YouTube Police have put the kabosh on that video offering....
Lets see what other options I can come up with to share these with you guys!!

Sorry about that.
Well looks like I suck for trying to use a copyrighted song that was actually enforced :waah:

That is the last time I make a vid around a specific song too.
All my other stuff I could swap out the music no problem, just not this one.

Bleh

piratexpress1369a 02-10-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5878751)
Looks like I've got my work cut out.

I laughed sooo hard.
Great Vid Murph.

can't watch the video dam youtube police ..i hate that ..you always have great vids

McMurphy 02-10-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 5879093)
can't watch the video dam youtube police ..i hate that ..you always have great vids

Yeah I set up a youtube acct just so Bomp could see it in its original form, and he attempted to link it in a reply but it didnt work....
I am trying to rework it now.
More to follow on this one.

Glad you like them, they are usually fun to make, and adds a bit of humor to to the project!

**************************************************************************************************** **************************************************

Here is attempt #2, lets see if we can sneak this one past them....

http://youtu.be/0YJuaLkUzeg

Bomp 02-10-2013 03:20 PM

Liked the vid and so did the wife. Fun watchin someone else work on their rig.
Your getting quite a bit done on the truck.
Gonna be Sweet when finished.
Hope that I can get going on mine someday soon.

Nice job on the vid and the truck.

Looks like I have my work cut out to get my wife to model my shirt.

McMurphy 02-10-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5879686)
Liked the vid and so did the wife. Fun watchin someone else work on their rig.
Your getting quite a bit done on the truck.
Gonna be Sweet when finished.
Hope that I can get going on mine someday soon.

Nice job on the vid and the truck.

Looks like I have my work cut out to get my wife to model my shirt.

Well, one of the coolest things about these videos that I just realized, is that if I burn all these to a disc, and tape it to the inside of the glove box; just imagine what a treasure that would be for someone in the ~hopefully~ distant future!

clemdaddy 02-10-2013 10:13 PM

hey murph, pan back for me please sir... i get hung-up with the detail stuff on your build ( which i really dig) but i'm kinda losing sight of the big picture.

time to see the truck as a whole vehicle again. as complete as it is...one perfect picture of where you are on the build. taken from that stool in the corner. you know... that stool we all have.

Ta2Don 02-10-2013 11:14 PM

Awesome Vid... glad I got to watch finally! Stay warm and keep building, between you and Bomp, it keeps me drudging through this move and anxiously awaiting the return to my build.

matt_l 02-10-2013 11:23 PM

Love the video. Nothing like a little friendly competition.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jmorales3181 02-11-2013 07:17 AM

Nice video, you guys crack me up! Hope you are staying warm. We got hit hit with like 2 feet of snow Friday into sat. I have had enough lol. Don't know how you do it buddy. Must have the heat cranking in there!
Posted via Mobile Device

piratexpress1369a 02-11-2013 09:10 AM

thanks it worked that time

McMurphy 02-13-2013 02:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 5880546)
hey murph, pan back for me please sir... i get hung-up with the detail stuff on your build ( which i really dig) but i'm kinda losing sight of the big picture.

time to see the truck as a whole vehicle again. as complete as it is...one perfect picture of where you are on the build. taken from that stool in the corner. you know... that stool we all have.

I will see what I can do for you Clem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5880738)
Awesome Vid... glad I got to watch finally! Stay warm and keep building, between you and Bomp, it keeps me drudging through this move and anxiously awaiting the return to my build.

Yeah sadly the original song was the theme from Mortal Kombat, and each time the "Mortal Kombat!!" was called in the song is when the T-shirts would pop up.
I thought it was quite clever, I guess EMI disagrees....

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_l (Post 5880766)
Love the video. Nothing like a little friendly competition.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure if we are competing per`se, but corroborating on finding entertaining ways of sharing our builds with you guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 (Post 5881149)
Nice video, you guys crack me up! Hope you are staying warm. We got hit hit with like 2 feet of snow Friday into sat. I have had enough lol. Don't know how you do it buddy. Must have the heat cranking in there!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I keep pretty warm....creature comforts are pretty high on my list when it comes to getting work done !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 5881204)
thanks it worked that time

You are welcome, hope you liked it !!

****************************************************************************************

So I bit the bullet and got the exhaust manifolds that I was swooning over.

Monday night I tossed them in the oven and after it reached the 500 degree setting, I cooked them for an extra 20 min.
Kinda smoked up the kitchen a bit in the doing, but....

Then one by one I hustled them down to the garage to a spindle I had set up and shot them with the 500-1300 VHT paint. I did this with my Tempest and have been very pleased with the results.

Then last night, while I was waiting for paint to dry on other projects (I usually have 2-3 or 4 in the works at a time due to dry times, and limited "play" times during the week) I figured I could slap these one the motor and check that box.....

The p-side went on without a hitch other than the realization that I would have to reroute my heater hose which came out of the block just above the oil pan, between the starter and the fuel pump.
No biggie there, I actually think I am going to like this hose set up better anyways.

The d-side on the other hand was a nightmare.
A 5 minute job ended up consuming most of my "play time" yesterday after work with a mod that I did not anticipate having to make in order to accomodate this particular exhaust.

The problem ended up being the header flange conflicted with the motor mount to the point where it would not bolt up to the engine.

Here is the cut to the motor mount I had to make. I left the edges shiny for the photos so you could see better. Just for good measure I notched my frame mount as well.
I dont want the muffler guy cussing me later.
Attachment 1059597

A bit of a close up for you to see just how far back I had to cut this sucker !!
Attachment 1059598

Hopefully I notched the frame mount good enough as well....
Attachment 1059599

Here it is finally all bolted up, with about 1/16" of clearance between the header flange and the mount.
Not much I know, but I didnt want to cut this in the first place....
Attachment 1059621

And here it is from the underside.
I gotta tell you this was a bit of a frustrating chore, but I got it done and in the end I am sure I will be happy with what I have done here.... well .... until I twist my engine off its mounts of course !!
Attachment 1059622

McMurphy 02-13-2013 02:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Just for contrast, here is the p-side all mounted up, sitting pretty !!
Attachment 1059625

So then some of you may be asking.....well that is nice McMurphy, but what about those fancy schmancy guages you got?
Well to answer that, I have to admit, that they have been one of those 2-3 or 4 other side projects I have had going on.

Instead of listening to my boring voice in your head narrating this, how about I just let the photos tell the story??

Attachment 1059626

Attachment 1059627

Attachment 1059628

Attachment 1059629

clemdaddy 02-13-2013 08:52 AM

way to go murph... nice on the exhaust manifolds, i was hoping you would get 'em. also if i'm seeing it right, the cluster you're crafting is going to be cool.
don't think twice about the photo request, looks like you got your hands full with current project list.

Ta2Don 02-13-2013 10:02 AM

Gotta agree with Clem, your Exhaust Manifolds are very nice, and the Gauge Pod is gonna be sweet, knowing what skills you possess as I watch your build! And as a teaser, Gonna PM you a surprise soon...

Captainfab 02-14-2013 02:29 AM

I read your post on Dino's build thread about the manifolds. Dino is using the original style '63-'66 motor mounts in his current build. Those accomodate the center dump exhaust manifolds, whereas the '73 and up style not so much. Hence the need to cut and trim the motor mount on the drivers side.

You've been making some nice progress. I'm interested to see your gauge panel.

cgnjrpilot 02-14-2013 10:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
If you go back three years to post #1623 on page 65 of pic thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...107362&page=65
you'll see me trailering her home from family friends pole barn. Slow and steady work on brakes, gas tank, fuel lines, and disassembly. Motor back from machine shop and reassembled and starting paint and prep. Truck will be back from paint and body end of the month. Pretty excited since I was five when Dad brought her home from the dealer and i drove her in high school and college. 66 C10, 283, 3 speed on column. Pics for your amusement (ps I know orange and black was not standard on truck engines--personal preference reigns for my daily driver)