The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part IV (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=729696)

awbrown 01-15-2019 03:03 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part IV

Nothing to my truck today , but I did find it on Google maps ..
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wEHoECAEQBg

awbrown 01-15-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiacgurudan (Post 8443697)
I'll try this again.

I like how you mounted the mirrors mine is similar , you can see so much more ...

studeclunker 01-16-2019 06:49 PM

Nice looking truck!https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7815/...76963a70_m.jpg

studeclunker 01-16-2019 06:55 PM

Does new (well used, but new to me) hubcaps count? Found some on the 'bay for a decent price. Not right for a '66, but then my rims aren't either. They look a lot better than nothing at all and I like them besides. Sorry, no pics as my tablet isn't working.

Pinchecharlie 01-17-2019 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New a pillar lowers, new inner outer rockers both sides! Could not believe that all the chinese stampings fit like a glove! Wtf!? Never in my life has this happened! 4 hours after i started , done! Now on to primer!

PORKY 01-17-2019 11:14 AM

Nice Work, and in only 4 hours!

Pinchecharlie 01-17-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PORKY (Post 8445144)
Nice Work, and in only 4 hours!

Well...thats after alot of hours of blasting and the floor was a day lol! Thanks though! I was scared to death of the rockers, ive had to do days on them before on other cars! The best was the cab corners i had more time in finishing welds than fitting. Cant believe it honestly. All the patch panels came from lmc

studeclunker 01-17-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie (Post 8445111)
New a pillar lowers, new inner outer rockers both sides! Could not believe that all the chinese stampings fit like a glove! Wtf!? Never in my life has this happened! 4 hours after i started , done! Now on to primer!

Oh, how I envy your welding skills...https://s.yimg.com/ok/u/assets/img/emoticons/emo49.gifhttps://s.yimg.com/ok/u/assets/img/emoticons/emo44.gif

Pinchecharlie 01-17-2019 05:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Victory red!?!??? I dunno? Looks awsome? I hate it? Lol! Getting titred of paint and body (physically) only regret is its not that nice of paint (cheap cheap cheap) think ill use something better on the cab or maybe not. Stupid paints big money these days!

studeclunker 01-17-2019 05:47 PM

In spite of it being red, it looks a lot better than my truck! As to the cost of paint, could be worse. You could be in Soviet California where everything is more expensive.

Pinchecharlie 01-17-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studeclunker (Post 8445314)

Thanks but...iam a horrible welder! My secret is....very hot short welds.like 3/8 ths at a time. It either goes good or i blow a hole in the sheet metal. And clekos. Finally borrowed a set after a lifetime of magnents and screwdrivers. Yep they make you a better welder! Another secret- buy an exspensive machine! I have 3 welders. One cheap , one ok , one exspensive. I suck at it and it saves me. This is a bad peep talk huh!? Just see and hear to nany guys put off by welding and short of life threatening welds , you can do it hack and all and be fine!! Ok back to work!!

studeclunker 01-18-2019 11:44 PM

Oh, and new tires last week. So new tires and new (used) hubcaps too. Now all I have to do is install the (modern) brake controller (until I can get the vintage one figured out) and put in a new bed. Then there's brakes, Front end...

Clyde65 01-27-2019 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New grill paint!

studeclunker 01-27-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde65 (Post 8452223)
New grill paint!

NICE looking grille!:wave:

Clyde65 01-27-2019 10:57 PM

Thanks Studeclunker!

Hard to believe that grill is 20 years old!! Only one ding.

I followed the post from here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642680

roll_the_dice 01-27-2019 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cleaned up the firewall this weekend...took the steering column out today. Hope to get the firewall painted this week. Picture before I pulled the column.

chevy_mike 01-28-2019 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Beyond doing a bunch of final suspension work, I did install these. :metal:

Android04 01-31-2019 12:23 PM

I knocked the snow off of mine and pulled the battery so I can drive it this weekend if that counts for anything. haha

COCONUTS 02-02-2019 09:38 AM

I installed a front sway bar on my 66.

1 Attachment(s)
I installed a new front sway bar on mine. I had replaced all the suspension and steering components a couple of months ago and had it aligned, but adding this sway bar made the truck 100% improvement on steering and ride quality.

I used a CPP sway bar kit # 7423. Everything is nicely powder coated. Came with 2 sets of brackets for stock height and lowered, poly bushings and a bunch of grade 8 hardware. Bar bushings have grease zerks. Kit took me about 1.5 hours to install. Our weather is crazy this year...2 days ago it was 8 degrees and yesterday it was 60. Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 and I’ll take a ride in the old truck.

PORKY 02-02-2019 09:54 AM

Looks good! I have the same bar but have not installed it yet.
Nice to know it works well.

COCONUTS 02-02-2019 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PORKY (Post 8456910)
Looks good! I have the same bar but have not installed it yet.
Nice to know it works well.

Thanks..

I’ve had mine in the box for awhile, but’s it’s been too cold to be on the concrete floor. I asked a buddy to help me hold the bar up as it’s heavy. He wasn’t available and I figured it out myself. I attached the end links to the lower control arms, greased and mounted the bar bushings, bushing brackets and frame brackets. I used a 6x6 and some 2x4 pieces to hold it all up. I left the hardware loose up front and tightened the end links on the control arms until they were standing straight up. I then center punched the 4 holes for the main brackets and drilled them 3/8”. I then tightened everything up. I drove my truck and you’ll see how much better it rides and steers. Mine drove straight after I replaced all the suspension and steering, but this sway bar kit tightened the steering up similar to a modern car. It really is a noticeable difference you’ll be pleased with. Best $ I’ve spent to date on my truck!

COCONUTS 02-02-2019 10:49 AM

I installed a front sway bar on my 66.

I spoke with Joe at CPP and asked him how tight the end links need to be and he said torque them to 47lb. I have all the pieces used in the end links and was able to tighten the nylon lock nut down until I had a good inch or so of thread showing below the nut ....the end links have 4 poly urethane bushings each, but I was only at 20lb. and stopped. I think 47lb. would destroy the bushings. I’m going to call him again Monday and ask him again. My instruction sheet didn’t have any mention of torque, but Joe sent me a link that did have them. I don’t know which set you got, but here’s a link to what he sent.

http://www.classicperform.com/Instru...DF/CPP7423.pdf

Greg

PORKY 02-02-2019 11:15 AM

That is all good info, THANK YOU!

studeclunker 02-03-2019 07:50 PM

The Sway-Bar sounds interesting. I'm almost afraid to ask how much.

Well, ya made me look!:o Price seems reasonable. The installation image looks a lot like the sway bars on my Studebakers.

PORKY 02-03-2019 08:17 PM

I bought mine years ago, today about $140.00.