The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

OregonNed 09-16-2019 03:31 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_oz (Post 8594241)
They look great, well worth the effort I think.

Can I ask what Lokar shifter you have? it looks like the 16", it it long enough for normal use?
I am trying to decide on what one to get.

I was way off - the one I have has an 8" stick.. I'd like a little longer, however now that I have this..

KQQL IT 09-16-2019 10:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
4 months later.
Dmv got my plates done.

66clow 09-22-2019 04:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Painted my filler panels. Oil change and rear axle fluid change.

OregonNed 09-22-2019 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stain applied to the glove box and ash tray veneer - sanding and finish next

tim_mc 09-23-2019 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished bolting down the bed. Hung the tailgate. Wired the back-up and taillights. Installed the rear bumper and license plate lamp. Drove it for the first time.

Grumpy old man 09-25-2019 01:42 AM

5 Attachment(s)
New flywheel / pilot bearing / clutch / pressure plate / throw out bearing using ARP hardware. Next get the linkage assembled and drop the Muncie Rock crusher in :chevy:

1967 short fleet with a 71 350 4 bolt using 67 bell housing / M-22 / Custom shaft / 3.73 posi Old school

One more bite off the elephant .

72c20customcamper 09-25-2019 07:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Patched the drivers side cab corner. Glad I didn't need to use the whole piece. It was about an inch to long had the same issue with the passenger side also.

66clow 09-26-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8599328)
Patched the drivers side cab corner. Glad I didn't need to use the whole piece. It was about an inch to long had the same issue with the drivers side also.

Aftermarket patch panels are horrible. There is obviously no Quality Control when it comes to them. Guess there are no c10's in China for test fitting 😆 mine were bad as well.

67C10Step 09-27-2019 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Taking rear section apart for cleanup and paint. Found at least part of why turn signals were not working right. This is the way I like my issues, very obvious. Looks like I’ll replace from firewall back to tail lights when I put it back together.

fourspeedwagon 09-28-2019 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_mc (Post 8597804)
Finished bolting down the bed. Hung the tailgate. Wired the back-up and taillights. Installed the rear bumper and license plate lamp. Drove it for the first time.

Congratulations on the first drive!

Boog 09-28-2019 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8600413)
Taking rear section apart for cleanup and paint. Found at least part of why turn signals were not working right. This is the way I like my issues, very obvious. Looks like I’ll replace from firewall back to tail lights when I put it back together.

Me too. I hate chasing electrical issues. Probably most sketchy fixes are done on the fly with the intention of getting back to it to do a proper repair and many just don't.

Steeveedee 09-28-2019 08:07 PM

Came back from CostCo with groceries and discovered a bunch of pieces of plastic alongside my truck. I realized that it looked the strip that covers the screws that attach the top to the sides of the camper shell. Got out a ladder and looked on top, and sure enough, there was a bunch missing. How it managed to "explode" overnight out of the channel it sits in is beyond me. I'll check my security cameras, but this would be the most random kind of vandalism that could occur. I'm guessing that it started and then propagated. I walked by that side of the truck yesterday and would have seen it. Guess I'll be buying more of it. That shell is only 2-1/2 years old. I'll buy black this time, since black is more resistant to UV. Anyone know where to buy that stuff? Maybe I can call the installers for that info on Monday.

allchevy58 09-28-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8600885)
Came back from CostCo with groceries and discovered a bunch of pieces of plastic alongside my truck. I realized that it looked the strip that covers the screws that attach the top to the sides of the camper shell. Got out a ladder and looked on top, and sure enough, there was a bunch missing. How it managed to "explode" overnight out of the channel it sits in is beyond me. I'll check my security cameras, but this would be the most random kind of vandalism that could occur. I'm guessing that it started and then propagated. I walked by that side of the truck yesterday and would have seen it. Guess I'll be buying more of it. That shell is only 2-1/2 years old. I'll buy black this time, since black is more resistant to UV. Anyone know where to buy that stuff? Maybe I can call the installers for that info on Monday.

Bought 100' roll for our enclosed trailer at Amazon, you just have to know the width.

Steeveedee 09-28-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 8600948)
Bought 100' roll for our enclosed trailer at Amazon, you just have to know the width.

Thanks for that info! I'll be replacing it all, and there's a lot of it. Since I'm going to use black, I'll probably change my truck's name to "Tiger" because of all that black trim on an orange truck. What with a white shell, I can pretend it's an old tiger with white hair on top. :lol: Heh, I amuse me.

66clow 09-29-2019 08:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Glad I'm getting down to just the detail stuff after my build. Finally found the right air filter, 5.5 inches tall. Undercoated the wheel wells. Painted the front suspension. Painted the front calipers Chevy orange for a splash of color 😁.

tim_mc 09-29-2019 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the hood on and a small shake-down drive. Next up: front alignment.

SRU1436 09-29-2019 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up some pavers for a project in the backyard.

67C10Step 09-30-2019 08:18 AM

SR,
I think yours falls into the what did you do WITH your truck today! HA!

I still like it though. Out there still doing truck things.

3757chevy 09-30-2019 10:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got my front clip on and took it it for drive. Still need hood hinges, my old ones were shot and the ones that came with the clip are stuck open. And then I need body work and paint. Of coarse I've needed that for 22 years.

OregonNed 10-02-2019 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on the finish now on this project - 4 coats in..

67C10Step 10-02-2019 10:30 AM

Ned,
What wood is that veneer? The glove box lid looks book matched. Nice.

OregonNed 10-02-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8602804)
Ned,
What wood is that veneer? The glove box lid looks book matched. Nice.

Thank you. It is quarter sawn red oak - matching the wood in the bed in both stain and finish. Also the ashtray face, and a radio delete I made...

Boog 10-02-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 8602089)
I got my front clip on and took it it for drive. Still need hood hinges, my old ones were shot and the ones that came with the clip are stuck open. And then I need body work and paint. Of coarse I've needed that for 22 years.

I think it will look better with that front end. It fits. ;)

rechinca 10-02-2019 09:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yep, it just got real, real fun. Half a day of drilling out spotwelds and pulling sheet metal by myself. MIG gas cylinder (75/25) picked up, and just so happened my cab/radiator mounts came in too. I also ordered up the Brother’s radiator support patch. A little pricey, but that thing is really well made and stout. Tomorrow I’ll finish the cuts on the underside of the cowl/dash area and possibly start tacking in my patch pieces.

Steeveedee 10-02-2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonNed (Post 8602809)
Thank you. It is quarter sawn red oak - matching the wood in the bed in both stain and finish. Also the ashtray face, and a radio delete I made...

I was thinking quarter-sawn white oak. Either way, that is one beautiful bunch of work. I'd like to do something like this to my truck, but it would disappear down the rabbit hole of not being used for the rest of my life while it got worked on. I'm getting old.