The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533920)

Ta2Don 06-16-2014 12:15 AM

Re: Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build...

2 Attachment(s)
…and the fun continues...:uhmk:

The last bodywork started today was the new to me door...:metal: After a little Hammer and Dolly work, the mirror holes are ready for welding and grinding...:mm:

The Custom trim holes are also ground and ready for plugs to be welded in...:metal:

The rear lower corner was repaired by the guy I bought the door from, and it needed further attention, so that is on the table as well...:mm:

More to come...:chevy:

Ta2Don 06-16-2014 12:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I almost forgot… the reason for the bodywork bonanza today…My replacement sander arrived Thursday, and got a workout today...:metal: Here's a pic of the Eastwood DA and the fender...

Lastly, I recently mentioned my frame issues...:waah: Today I shot a couple of pics to point out the damage...:sumo:
The PO :sumo: cut the frame horns and re-welded them, evidently to level the bumper...:crazy: The driver's side rail is tweaked outward and the Passenger side is square to the radiator crossmember...:banghead:

Progress Nonetheless!!! :metal::metal::metal:

mjh1965 06-16-2014 03:38 AM

Making good progress Don . Best Father's Day present being left to work on truck because time is the most precious thing we have . It was nice to speak to you ( I do love the IPhones face times free calls )
Martin

dwcardfan 06-16-2014 07:06 AM

Looking good!!!:metal::metal:

Jeff La 06-16-2014 07:56 AM

Coming along nice Don, it's a true bummer about the frame but then when you finish your gonna have a frame off restoration :metal:

Ta2Don 06-16-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjh1965 (Post 6722781)
Making good progress Don . Best Father's Day present being left to work on truck because time is the most precious thing we have . It was nice to speak to you ( I do love the IPhones face times free calls )
Martin

Thanx for the call mate...:mm: May try to get a little more time in today, although some other life things take priority...:mm: Gotta change the oil in my 90 model DD, Mow, plus the dog has to get to the vet to have some stitches removed from his surgery last week… Enjoy your time off this week!!! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan (Post 6722829)
Looking good!!!:metal::metal:

Thanks Brother, will call ya this week… :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 6722864)
Coming along nice Don, it's a true bummer about the frame but then when you finish your gonna have a frame off restoration :metal:

The one pic I forgot to get, is the difference between the Frame height from the ground… :dohh: The passenger side is a bit higher than the driver's side, hence the crazy frame horn re-welding...:sumo: Luckily, I know of 2 frames available, 1 Locally and 1 that dwcardfan has… He is only a hour or so away...:uhmk: So much for the "Budget" build...:haha:

TJ's Chevy 06-16-2014 10:58 AM

Nice work Brotha!!! Looking killer awesome! Yeah..The PO before the PO(Get it? lol) was an idiot...ugh..lol...well...gives me an excuse to buy more trucks right!?! LOL! :metal:

1963c-10 06-16-2014 02:11 PM

Nice progress!!!

likaroc13 06-16-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6723366)
Nice progress!!!

x2!

Looking good, Don! Glad you were able to get back on it. That does really suck about the frame, but at least you have options. Don't know what that PO was thinking. :uhmk:

clemdaddy 06-16-2014 08:41 PM

nice work there buddy. i know you'll get that frame thing worked out, its a bummer now but it will soon be part of the blur of fixing up your truck.
stay after it and let me know if you need something or if i can help you out.

Bomp 06-16-2014 11:08 PM

Once you get the new frame you will be soooo glad you did.
Its always best knowing you didn't settle, You did it the right way.
Great Progress Don!
Instagram the new sander

Ta2Don 06-17-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6723145)
Nice work Brotha!!! Looking killer awesome! Yeah..The PO before the PO(Get it? lol) was an idiot...ugh..lol...well...gives me an excuse to buy more trucks right!?! LOL! :metal:

Thanx TJ... And yep I got it, I think!:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6723366)
Nice progress!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6723440)
x2!

Looking good, Don! Glad you were able to get back on it. That does really suck about the frame, but at least you have options. Don't know what that PO was thinking. :uhmk:

Thanx guys! After Mulling over what little I know about the history of my truck, I believe it was a shop (with the PO's blessing)that did the previous build and repaired the Front End that hacked the frame... The same shop was installing bucket seats and hacked a hole in the floor to install an auto shifter from a F#%d...:sumo:

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6723838)
nice work there buddy. i know you'll get that frame thing worked out, its a bummer now but it will soon be part of the blur of fixing up your truck.
stay after it and let me know if you need something or if i can help you out.

Thanx Clem! ...and I will be in touch...:mm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6724106)
Once you get the new frame you will be soooo glad you did.
Its always best knowing you didn't settle, You did it the right way.
Great Progress Don!
Instagram the new sander

Thanx Doc! I find myself unwilling to settle with the frame in it's current state, and replacing is more cost effective than repair...:uhmk:
Be watching Instagram later and I will post a pic for ya...:metal:

Ta2Don 06-17-2014 10:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Called dwcardfan this morning and struck a deal for a frame…:metal: Should be a road trip in the next 2 weeks or so to grab said frame...:uhmk:

Played Hooky today from the Studio, :mm:, and took care of a couple of things on the Boss' (read Wife's) to do list…;)

Then snuck out to the shed to put some time in on the driver's door…:metal:Worked out the bottom corner issue, then moved onto filling the holes for the custom trim that were in the door… While looking at the size, I had an epiphany, 16 penny nail heads...:bann:

I have a bunch from previous building projects, since the purchase of a framing nailer the 16 pennys have been rusting in the coffee can that is their home...:eek: So I rescued 6, put them under the Wire Wheel, then tacked them in place...:metal:
Hmmmm, could turn this into a Mad Max Truck...:haha:
All 6 welded, all 6 trimmed down… 4 ground and ready for glaze putty and primer…2 to go...:uhmk:

dantimdad 06-18-2014 09:42 AM

Thanks for the idea!

I knew it was going to be a pain to weld up all the trim holes. This will definitely help.

It just dawned on me. If you hold the nails on the back side of the hole and puddle weld from the front, there should be a lot less mess to clean up.

What do you think?

Steven

Ta2Don 06-18-2014 01:05 PM

I thought about that but didn't have a 2cd set of hands available... will keep that in mind should the need arise in the future...;)

dwcardfan 06-18-2014 02:29 PM

Looking good brother. I think you will make that September deadline. :smoke::smoke:

dantimdad 06-18-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6726205)
I thought about that but didn't have a 2cd set of hands available... will keep that in mind should the need arise in the future...;)

Luckily, I have a 13 year old that I taught to weld. I'll hole 'em while he burns 'em. :)

Steven

Ta2Don 06-18-2014 08:46 PM

That is Awesome!!! :metal:

Get 'em started young...:uhmk:

TJ's Chevy 06-18-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6726725)
That is Awesome!!! :metal:

Get 'em started young...:uhmk:

X2 get'em started young! :metal:

McMurphy 06-18-2014 09:28 PM

Don,
On filling holes, I took someones advice and went to the hardware store and got a $3 copper pipe sleeve. Then I took it home and beat it flat with a coat hanger between the two sides of copper. I use this as a backing when I filling holes because the weld wire and metal wont stick to the copper.

The coat hanger is so I can get it into odd places if needed, and hang in on my welding cart....

Just passing this along in case you had not heard of that neat trick yet. :metal:

Ta2Don 06-19-2014 08:42 AM

Thanks Sarge!:metal:

I hadn't heard of that one, and the coat hanger part is genius...:mm:

Modges'66 06-19-2014 10:02 AM

Lookin Great!!!
I see a lot of block-sanding in somebody's future!
Keep on it!

Ta2Don 06-19-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan (Post 6726304)
Looking good brother. I think you will make that September deadline. :smoke::smoke:

Thanx Brother! :metal:
That's still the plan… :uhmk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6727338)
Lookin Great!!!
I see a lot of block-sanding in somebody's future!
Keep on it!

Thank you Sir!!! :metal:
Learning as I go...:mm:

rusty76 06-19-2014 04:05 PM

Looking good. Looking good!

zippeay 06-19-2014 04:37 PM

Looks great!