The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project: Recycle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=381425)

youngrodder 07-02-2019 12:09 PM

Re: Project: Recycle

I'm really digging this truck. I love the direction your headed...
Keep after it!!

Marc

SCOTI 07-02-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8551574)
I'm planning on doing something similar as TA_C10, but using a 99-03 Silverado fuel pump module. It is tall enough for the 13" deep Blazer tanks and you can buy them at any LAPS in the country. All you need is a mounting ring to weld to the tank, like this one from VetteWorks. I made my own since it's pretty simple and saved a few bucks. GM did a good job in the engineering of their pump modules, it will keep the bucket, where the pump is, full even when the tank level is below the top of the bucket. I plan on it supplying a Corvette filter/regulator then deadheading to a Holley Sniper.

Reading the info, it seems the LS system it recommends has a pump w/a built-in regulator combo (00-02 LSI f-body). I'm betting those set-ups are similar to the fuel module in my '99. Never gave any thought about whether it was internally or externally regulated.

SCOTI 07-02-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8551876)
I'm really digging this truck. I love the direction your headed...
Keep after it!!

Marc

Thanks. I'm going to have to play catch-up on your Burb thread.

smbrouss70 07-02-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8552007)
Reading the info, it seems the LS system it recommends has a pump w/a built-in regulator combo (00-02 LSI f-body). I'm betting those set-ups are similar to the fuel module in my '99. Never gave any thought about whether it was internally or externally regulated.

The 00-02 LS1 F-body pumps are indeed internally regulated, but are too short to work in a Blazer tank. I have had buddies use them in a Boyd's Welding tank with great success after making there own top ring to hold the pump down using the 12 bolt flange on their tank.

I chose the 99-03 Silverado pump due to it being taller and I like the idea of every time I replace the fuel filter, I will be replacing the regulator as well with the Corvette style filter/regulator.

SCOTI 07-02-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8552056)
The 00-02 LS1 F-body pumps are indeed internally regulated, but are too short to work in a Blazer tank. I have had buddies use them in a Boyd's Welding tank with great success after making there own top ring to hold the pump down using the 12 bolt flange on their tank.

I chose the 99-03 Silverado pump due to it being taller and I like the idea of every time I replace the fuel filter, I will be replacing the regulator as well with the Corvette style filter/regulator.

How much are those Vette filter/regulator set-ups? I knew they were a common swap approach but never researched their cost.

Ok.... I just answered my own question. Looks like it's a simple one in; two out. Which one of the outlets is the return to the tank? I guess these have a very high success rate of operation w/o the regulator failing? Or, is it because like you mentioned, it's replaced frequently enough that it doesn't see opportunity for service life related failure?

smbrouss70 07-02-2019 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the instructions for the Summit kit that includes the AN Adapter fittings, which shows how the supply and return lines work.

I have heard of problems with the Tanks, Inc. filters leaking, but haven't heard of problems with the regulator.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...0263/overview/

TA_C10 07-02-2019 11:14 PM

Seriously? These things have problems because the pump runs all the time? I put the same setup in my 89 mustang, ran the chit out of that beast for 8 years no problems. I know that sucker didn't regulate the pump running as needed, it ran constant. Daily drove that sucker for many of those years too. Hard to imagine that but I learn something new every day.

SCOTI 07-02-2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8552207)
Seriously? These things have problems because the pump runs all the time? I put the same setup in my 89 mustang, ran the chit out of that beast for 8 years no problems. I know that sucker didn't regulate the pump running as needed, it ran constant. Daily drove that sucker for many of those years too. Hard to imagine that but I learn something new every day.

Just because you read about stuff on the WWW doesn't mean it's 100% true/accurate/correct. But, to just ignore the info is just as much of a fail. I like to know what I'm getting into since I don't have the $$ to spend twice.

TA_C10 07-03-2019 10:39 PM

The LS pcm is controlling the pump in my setup. Wouldn't that be the deciding factor of controlling the fuel pump? The brains that calculates cycles, pressure, and volume? So is it the pcm that changes in recent years that makes that change or are they building in a processor on these fuel pumps now?

SCOTI 07-03-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8552725)
The LS pcm is controlling the pump in my setup. Wouldn't that be the deciding factor of controlling the fuel pump? The brains that calculates cycles, pressure, and volume? So is it the pcm that changes in recent years that makes that change or are they building in a processor on these fuel pumps now?

Current Zl1, Zr1, & CTS-V's untilize PWM control of the pumps based off of ECU data. Similar to how they've been controling cooling fans like the super-sucker Lincoln Mark VIII units. Vaporworx is the hot ticket set-up supporting the high end HP pro-touring cars that see highway & extended track sessions.

I just want to make sure I'm getting a set-up that supports 400rwhp & can do its job for extended tanks of gas/miles/distance w/o causing an early pump death. I really like the Tanks Inc retro set-up. Just trying to make sure things work in an extended driver application.

mongocanfly 07-03-2019 11:12 PM

TA
all the ecm does is send a signal to the pump to run,,,no cycles,pressure or volume...
pressure is controlled by the reg..

TA_C10 07-05-2019 09:47 PM

I was hanging out with friends in driveway and had a few beers that night guys, yeah I posted a couple dumb statements lol. I think I even mention in my thread how the fuel filter/regulator is what REGULATES the fuel lol. Just disregard all my statements guys, my bad...

cj847 07-08-2019 05:05 PM

From what I have learned:

-The fuel filter/regulator in the sketch is the stock setup used in 1999 Corvette. I am running the same set up in my Willys. An in tank fuel pump will last years running continuously as that is the way most were set up until the last several years. Certainly a PWM pump will last even longer, but is it worth it?

-The problem with PWM fuel pumps - The pump I guess is the same, but the on/off switching often comes from a separate controller (not from the PCM). If your pump goes out and you replace it, the controller has to be reset/calibrated at the dealership before the pump will work. Full disclosure- I don't know this from experience, only from research as I was trying to find out how to use a PWM controlled fuel pump using junkyard parts. After finding that story I decided a 99 vette fuel filter was good enough for me.....

SCOTI 07-08-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj847 (Post 8555182)
From what I have learned:

-The fuel filter/regulator in the sketch is the stock setup used in 1999 Corvette. I am running the same set up in my Willys. An in tank fuel pump will last years running continuously as that is the way most were set up until the last several years. Certainly a PWM pump will last even longer, but is it worth it?

-The problem with PWM fuel pumps - The pump I guess is the same, but the on/off switching often comes from a separate controller (not from the PCM). If your pump goes out and you replace it, the controller has to be reset/calibrated at the dealership before the pump will work. Full disclosure- I don't know this from experience, only from research as I was trying to find out how to use a PWM controlled fuel pump using junkyard parts. After finding that story I decided a 99 vette fuel filter was good enough for me.....

Excellent info to consider & research. I definitely don't want to be @ the mercy of a dealership or tuner. Thanks for sharing.

I just know of more than one guy I follow on IG was having problems w/fuel starvation (during spirited driving & autocross; or driving w/less than 1/4 tank) on the Tanks Inc stock-tank retrofit set-up & were searching for an alternative. This is why I was thinking about possibly adding additional baffling & pick-ups if I ultimately did the Tanks Inc set-up using the GM/Vette style Filter + Regulator combo.

I was also considering the remote Surge Tank alternatives (FiTech; Edelbrock). But, that works for the SBC/BBC carb fuel system that has the ability to run a mechanical fuel pump to supply the surge tank (or you're dependent on a 2nd electric pump). Swap to an LS & you're doing things over. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible..... once.

TA_C10 07-25-2019 02:56 PM

Hey did you ever think about using the HydraMat systems? This might be exactly what your looking for. Little pricey but I saw this get installed on an episode of powernation detroit muscle. You can get one that covers the whole bottom of the tank and it's fitted with AN fittings. Boom.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...t-fuel-pickups

:chevy:

SCOTI 07-25-2019 05:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8564822)
Hey did you ever think about using the HydraMat systems? This might be exactly what your looking for. Little pricey but I saw this get installed on an episode of powernation detroit muscle. You can get one that covers the whole bottom of the tank and it's fitted with AN fittings. Boom.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...t-fuel-pickups

:chevy:

Yes, I have. I've been watching another board guy w/his build to see how his set-up worked. His combo is blown & he's auto-crossing so it should be a good test for the set-up.

So far his limited time has yielded some issues but thus far he feels it's thermal related (exhaust tail pipe that runs extremely close to the side/length of the tank due to real estate issues). Still watching his progress after he tried heat shield wrapping & as barrier between the to parts to see if there's any improvement.

TA_C10 07-25-2019 08:13 PM

I'm surprised he went with such a small sock and not the one that blankets the whole bottom of tank. But I'm sure he has a reason. Our big tanks could stand the large sock I would think. It covers the whole tank so it never runs out of fuel no matter what direction the forces are. I'm sure you will figure this out though, I will just be excited to see what you go with and hopefully some details with pics of install :thumbs:

Hammered 77 07-27-2019 08:01 AM

Just found this build, awesome work. Following for future reference/build.

Rick

jhrusk 07-27-2019 10:09 AM

Stay away from anything that has "FITech" on it.

SCOTI 07-27-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhrusk (Post 8565835)
Stay away from anything that has "FITech" on it.

I have 2 buddies using them on their hot rods w/o issue but never considered it because I'm not a fan of the ECU sitting on top of the motor soaking in all the heat. Same reason I wouldn't do the Sniper set-up either.

kdad 07-27-2019 02:47 PM

Man I love this build... Anyone named Scoti has to be a great guy... LOL

SCOTI 07-27-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8565969)
Man I love this build... Anyone named Scoti has to be a great guy... LOL

Well.... There are those that would argue but I've had the name a while now & I'm too old to change it 😉

tinydb84 07-30-2019 06:03 PM

Man those Volvo's grow on me each time I see them.

I love the amount of detail in your work.

SCOTI 07-30-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinydb84 (Post 8567664)
Man those Volvo's grow on me each time I see them.

I love the amount of detail in your work.

He's done more than 1 Volvo but anything Sean builds (IG = hackster1) is worth the time it takes to read about it. He really has great attention to the details.

hank scorpio 07-30-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8564873)
...<sean's 242>...

Wait, are we both on Turbobricks?