The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

evilokc 04-22-2018 09:39 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8244799)
Got the drivers inside window moulding welded and finished ready for chrome.
The drivers side is all done, turned the cab around (which was more work than the welding) so I can finish the last few things on the passenger side.

Brian

your garage looks tidy. I need to back my truck out and give mine a good cleaning.

ebernst 04-22-2018 10:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I took my truck out for a drive today! It was fantastic. She's running great, and I'm anxious to dive into a bunch of little things that will make driving more enjoyable, like new door & window seals, weatherstripping, and then diving into the interior! Here's a picture of my pickup today. Here's a few more photos of the truck I took recently. Build thread link in my sig.

Kevin Mac 04-22-2018 10:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Been doing some work lately. Installed drop spindles last week and started getting my exhaust run out back after installing the 4 link a few weeks ago. I had them dumping in front of axle but it was too loud and getting everything messy. I priced SS pipe and fittings and decided I didn't need that. Ended up buying bent fittings from parts store and cut and fit as needed. I painted it with bbq paint so I hope it will stay.

Kevin Mac 04-22-2018 11:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
One thing I will mention is if you have a 78 G Body clip and change to drop spindles you will have to change rotors and outer bearings too. It is a one year spindle ( I believe the only difference in the outer bearing and rotor). Couple more pics of after drop and some more exhaust shots. Last picture is a 3" fernco adapter I cut strips out of for hangers lol. I will find some better rubber with some thread in it but this will work till then.
I only got the passenger side done on exhaust, parts store only had enough for 1 side. I will check with their other location tomorrow.

MiraclePieCo 04-23-2018 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebernst (Post 8244947)
I took my truck out for a drive today! It was fantastic. She's running great,

I love it; perfect amount of character.

idbeast 04-23-2018 06:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Started by cleaning out the garage, then reworked my cab lifting jig to work with my cherry picker then put my old '56 cab on my spare 59 frame then moved it out in the yard with some other projects. Then mowed the grass growing in the driveway, and moved our daily drivers back in their normal places!

evilokc 04-23-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

I took my truck out for a drive today! It was fantastic. She's running great, and I'm anxious to dive into a bunch of little things that will make driving more enjoyable, like new door & window seals, weatherstripping, and then diving into the interior! Here's a picture of my pickup today. Here's a few more photos of the truck I took recently. Build thread link in my sig.

I love the look of your truck. mine was the same color but when I got it the jack off had tried to primer half of it in 3 different colors. you have motor and interior pics?

evilokc 04-23-2018 09:47 PM

it figures that I whacked my hand at work today. I had been planning to get my wires loomed and tucked in today. I did go out and start looming but my hand was throbbing about half way to the rear of the frame. I planned to go back out after dinner but ended up taking a walk instead. will give it another go tomorrow. the good news is 1) I made progress on a Monday. 2) I hooked the battery up and the vintage air unit worked! now the compressor isn't hooked up yet so it was really just the fan but that counts.

MARTINSR 04-24-2018 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8245857)
it figures that I whacked my hand at work today. I had been planning to get my wires loomed and tucked in today. I did go out and start looming but my hand was throbbing about half way to the rear of the frame. I planned to go back out after dinner but ended up taking a walk instead. will give it another go tomorrow. the good news is 1) I made progress on a Monday. 2) I hooked the battery up and the vintage air unit worked! now the compressor isn't hooked up yet so it was really just the fan but that counts.

Sorry to hear it, darn it, I know how that is.

Brian

MARTINSR 04-24-2018 01:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a three foot long weld ground down on the cowl, removed the door getting ready for tomorrow's next step.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 04-24-2018 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8246021)
Got a three foot long weld ground down on the cowl, removed the door getting ready for tomorrow's next step.

Brian

Was that a door crease in the cowl?

MARTINSR 04-24-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8246043)
Was that a door crease in the cowl?

Nope, a slot was made to make a better door fit, moved the edge of the jam forward a 1/16" or so.

Brian

MARTINSR 04-24-2018 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I have been very tired the last few days falling asleep in the lunch room. I had to get out to the garage of course and I welded up a bunch of seams on the passenger door, got something done!

I also measured the frame and the garage to see if it would fit in there. It's a "two car" garage with only a one car garage door. This is another thing that has hung me up, with the Gran Sport in there I was screwed. Well................I figured out that I can move my tool box, take the doors off my storage thingie and the frame will fit there tucked into the storage thingie I can get the cab on the frame and section the hood when needed. WHOOO HOOO!

Brian

robertsjm711 04-25-2018 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got an acceptable pattern! Only took a couple days...

MARTINSR 04-25-2018 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got almost all the welds done on the door and ground, WHOO HOOOO! Got the window channel welded in. All I have left is the tab of the skin cut off for sectioning the door along the bottom front. I made a pattern, cut the metal and prepped and etch primed it with the door so tomorrow it will be dry for me to weld it in, and the door will be completely done!

Brian

Advanced Design 04-26-2018 06:04 AM

Quote:

Great looking truck! Nice work in your build thread. Very clean suspension work and LS install.

evilokc 04-26-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsjm711 (Post 8246937)
Got an acceptable pattern! Only took a couple days...

what gear ratio if it?

robertsjm711 04-26-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8248636)
what gear ratio if it?

3:31

MARTINSR 04-27-2018 12:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the passenger door all finished up welding in that bottom fold of the skin that I cut off when I sectioned the door. I added a few more welds across the middle too after I took this photo. But it's all done, off the rack sitting in the garage and I am ready to finish up this side of the cab as I did the other. Things are coming along!

Brian

Black_Sheep 04-28-2018 12:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I finished getting some parts ready for paint tomorrow. I shot satin black on the core support and the first few inches of the inner fenders that will be visible through the grille. The engine side of the core support, inner fenders and the hood latch panel will get Ford High Performance white with a matte clear to match the firewall.

MARTINSR 04-28-2018 12:06 AM

Good stuff!

Brian

MARTINSR 04-28-2018 02:04 AM

I got out there, cleaned up the cab a bit, it's a truck cab, I had forgotten that! I can put a seat in there and a steering wheel and drive it! Well almost, got a little ways to go.

I removed some metal and fit a piece to weld back in that was cut out right at the top of the R windshield post that I removed during the chop. It's fit and clamped into place ready for me to weld it in tomorrow.

Brian

Kevin Mac 04-28-2018 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I upgraded my tank fill so it will hopefully fill faster without air kicking back. The air vent in the tank is on one far end, and the baffles go darn near the top, so I think the air had trouble getting out when I filled. The fill also was offset a little, so I welded in a new bung straight under filler neck and added another vent in the middle to vent to filler neck while filling.

evilokc 04-28-2018 06:57 PM

dropped my dented fender off at the body shop to be fixed

MARTINSR 04-29-2018 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8249950)
dropped my dented fender off at the body shop to be fixed

That's getting something done!

Brian