The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Random Photos ‘You took’ (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794025)

Steeveedee 08-23-2020 10:00 PM

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8796670)
I want to know about this "fritter" so I can start fixing them up.

Unfortunately that truck just sits. It's been there a few years at least. I am thinking it's time to try to pry it away. It's too good for yard art. I'll find him an old tractor or something. That place sits along US40, the National Road that was conceived and begun during George Washington's time. I'd say about mid-1800s on that place. It sits alone where the road takes a great dip and seeping turn like a race track. I've come around there at 80-90 mph on my bike. You feel your belly drop at the bottom, serious downforce. I can only imagine what it was like in the old pioneer wagons at that speed :lol:

This truck and restaurant are just east of there on what the called "The Long Stretch", named for being the longest straight stretch of road between Cumberland, MD and Wheeling, WVA. This is up on the Appalachian Plateau.

Across the road is a guy who sells, among other things, old campers. This one caught my eye on my way up to my mom's. Then I had to come back the next day to that very spot to rescue my brother who dropped his rear driveshaft. So I got to talk to the guy and look it over

That is one pretty trailer. We have one, but my wife would love that, it's so retro!

Boog 08-23-2020 10:18 PM

You mean they don't know about apple fritters in Maryland? Well I be. All of our local donut shops make those daily along with all the other goodies. I love em. ;)

Ol Blue K20 08-23-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 8796899)
Its made from the same dough as a donut shop cinnamon roll, but as you see in the pic it's just a big cake usually with apple chunks in it, aka apple fritter.....yum yum!

Also has a glaze on it...they are very good...I can't believe you don't have them there. I may have to get a couple and overnight them to you. They're great with coffee too. Now I want one......

Boog 08-23-2020 10:37 PM

Mmmmmm. We may be talking up tomorrow's breakfast. I haven't had one in a while.

special-K 08-24-2020 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We have apple fritters and other types of fritters such as corn fritters and others I'm not thinking of right now, but usually vegetable like zucchini, also potato. We have different kinds of apple fritters. The most popular kind you get as a side, same as corn fritters, that are bite size. They are the apple or corn filling with a batter encasing them, usually with powdered sugar on them.

Attachment 2042966

How about kinklings? Do other parts of the country have those? In Frederick, MD "The Donut Shop", which has a few shops around town, puts a banner across their signs that says "The Kinkling Shop". They are a German sweet treat made and eaten to bring in Lent

68bowtie 08-24-2020 12:56 AM

You guys are killing me. I’m trying to shed my covid pounds before hunting season, and those are NOT on my approved list. :lol:

special-K 08-24-2020 07:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
:lol: Maybe you're wish to lose weight will come true "after" hunting season when you come home empty handed :lol: (Not wishing on that!)

A group of 5 I shot of this neat old Chapel along Mill Run not far from where it meets with the Youghiogheny River just up the road a bit from Friendsville, MD. That's some unique home made siding, and I thought that grave marker was cool. Looks like a chess piece

yuccales 08-24-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8797029)
How about kinklings? Do other parts of the country have those? In Frederick, MD "The Donut Shop", which has a few shops around town, puts a banner across their signs that says "The Kinkling Shop". They are a German sweet treat made and eaten to bring in Lent

I'm liking the looks of those! Never heard of them out my way.

FleetsidePaul 08-24-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8796894)
So who is going to tell what this thing you Californians call a fritter is? We have various foods with the name fritter attached, but nothing that looks like that

The only Fritter I ever had was like a cornbread muffin type of thing with maple syrup.and they were really good.

They came with dinner at a place called El Encanto on Hwy 39 at the base of Azusa Canyon in Azusa Ca. Some of you may remember it since it had been there forever. I used to take dates there because it had a great view.(smooth operator :cool:)

But they tore it down. I don't know why. It was a nice place.

special-K 08-24-2020 09:05 AM

When I looked for pictures of apple fritters where those showed up they were being called Southern Apple Fritters. They are an apple pie filling inside. A thing I love along with a good chipped steak & cheese sub or hand patty cheeseburger are Corn Fritters. They look the same until you bite in on one. Just a bunch of corn kernels inside, maybe more like cream style corn. I looked those up and there are other variations, such as patties. My mom made than that way in a skillet, sometimes mixed with other stuff.

I'm starting to realize something. I like food!

special-K 08-24-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8797080)
The only Fritter I ever had was like a cornbread muffin type of thing with maple syrup.and they were really good.

They came with dinner at a place called El Encanto on Hwy 39 at the base of Azusa Canyon in Azusa Ca. Some of you may remember it since it had been there forever. I used to take dates there because it had a great view.(smooth operator :cool:)

But they tore it down. I don't know why. It was a nice place.

What was it they made using dates? :rolleyes:

Steeveedee 08-24-2020 10:06 AM

:lol: Speed dates. Those things make me real ...regular.

Black_Sheep 08-25-2020 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Guard-n’ Gnome

wwhijr 08-25-2020 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got this beauty for scrap not all that long ago. Owner said his wife wrecked it when it was about 10 years old and it sat behind a barn ever since. Pristine barn find.

Steeveedee 08-25-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwhijr (Post 8798012)
I got this beauty for scrap not all that long ago. Owner said his wife wrecked it when it was about 10 years old and it sat behind a barn ever since. Pristine barn find.

That crash must have been an EE ticket ride! I'm amazed anyone lived.
They didn't try to buff it out? :D

yuccales 08-28-2020 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just stumbled on this one, taken near Portola. I do like trains.

72c20customcamper 08-28-2020 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good parking job wouldn't ya say.

Killer Bee 08-28-2020 02:06 PM

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/7jhef9cpi82...20001.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y34kw08f7v5...20010.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/sym7537o8h6...20007.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/gg2iii22n4y...20019.jpg?dl=0

leddzepp 08-28-2020 02:38 PM

Hearst Castle

BlueChipCal 08-28-2020 03:56 PM

Don't mess with the meter maid... :devil:
https://i.postimg.cc/NMQyMLdG/IMG-0310.png

78chevstepside 08-28-2020 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:chevy: leaves me speechless

Boog 08-28-2020 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
turn

GOPAPA 08-28-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78chevstepside (Post 8799443)
:chevy: leaves me speechless

Must of won it gambling there in La Center.. yeah I know the place ,I moved from across the river close to Clatskanie,,, I seen and have a photo I took of a Elvis old motor home close by ya a few years ago.,, did ya see the rear tire how it is going flat? Amazing what some people like ..

78chevstepside 08-28-2020 07:08 PM

:chevy:this contraption is in portland oregon by the steel yard its been parked there for a while . The 300 was parked close to it .

Sheepdip 08-28-2020 07:36 PM

It's been years since I've been to Hearst Castle, but if I remember correctly that's real gold in the tiles you see on the wall and I think in the pool tile too.