The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   The 283 Rebuild Begins (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=299814)

padresag 02-05-2010 12:28 AM

Re: The 283 Rebuild Begins

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3763485)
What I'm enjoying now, that the rings are seated and the bearings seem comfortable, is 'going through the gears' with the old school shifter. Not anything radical - but enough to have fun building up speed pretty quickly.

Mac. :chevy:

how do the bearings seem comfortable or is it that you are comfortable with the way that it is running
ron

daverod 02-05-2010 07:07 PM

I was wondering the same thing.;) Just how do you know when they are comfy?:ben:

Vernski 02-15-2010 12:57 AM

Did your camera get broke?:wop:Vernski:metal:

MacAttack 02-15-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padresag (Post 3780936)
how do the bearings seem comfortable or is it that you are comfortable with the way that it is running
ron

Well - the rear end seems to be settling down (noise wise) from the initial week, which (I don't know about you) makes me more comfortable.

;)

MacAttack 02-15-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3782319)
I was wondering the same thing.;) Just how do you know when they are comfy?:ben:

Based on experience in rebuilding lathe and milling machines - it's being able to recognize the difference.

;) Mac.

MacAttack 02-15-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 3801643)
Did your camera get broke?:wop:Vernski:metal:

Nope - camera's just fine, but I didn't feel the installation of a glove box warranted any new pics.

:lol: Mac.

Vernski 02-16-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3802372)
Nope - camera's just fine, but I didn't feel the installation of a glove box warranted any new pics.

The complaint was suppose to go back about half the thread and looks like you are doing better with pic's now. BTW your truck is very nice looking, nice work and quite a story with it's being stolen and getting it back and all was good luck indeed. Thanks for sharing!---Vernski:uhmk:

MacAttack 02-16-2010 11:19 AM

Thanks for the compliments, Vernski.

I was very lucky, according to the OC Sheriff and they said vehicles (specifically targeting groups) were rarely ever found in drivable conditions. Needless to say - my insurance coverage has be substantially increased since the reconstruction.

jason65 02-19-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3802372)

Unless there was bloodshed. Then pics of glove box installation are required.;)

MacAttack 02-19-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3811419)

There was. And I'm not proud of that. :smoke:

How a simple assembly made of expensive cardboard and big staples could end up being such a pain in the ___, I have no idea. Someday I hope to tackle putting light in there, but I'll probably need to go to therapy shortly thereafter.

Mac. :lol:

Alan's Classic 02-20-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3811419)

:haha:

Even if there was bloodshed, it just makes it that more interesting. :lol:;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3811505)
There was. And I'm not proud of that. :smoke:

How a simple assembly made of expensive cardboard and big staples could end up being such a pain in the ___, I have no idea. Someday I hope to tackle putting light in there, but I'll probably need to go to therapy shortly thereafter.

Come on, put a light in there so we can see the blood stains. J/K ;) Progress is a good thing. :metal:

MacAttack 02-21-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3812567)
:haha:

Come on, put a light in there so we can see the blood stains. J/K ;) Progress is a good thing. :metal:

Yeah, watching Mac bounce off the walls of his garage and making his grandson run for cover - a real scream. No thanks - I'll stick with a flashlight for a while.

Although I will say I've got a supposed '327' waiting on an engine dolly presently in the same garage that's beginning to whisper to me. (Loony Bin, here I come.)

Alan's Classic 02-21-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3814976)
Yeah, watching Mac bounce off the walls of his garage and making his grandson run for cover - a real scream. No thanks - I'll stick with a flashlight for a while.

Although I will say I've got a supposed '327' waiting on an engine dolly presently in the same garage that's beginning to whisper to me. (Loony Bin, here I come.)

:thumbs: I understand.

MacAttack 02-26-2010 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shot (this morning) of cab and seat cover - of a real, working truck:

MacAttack 02-26-2010 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sheet metal screw to hold the saddle tank door (sprung) closed:

MacAttack 02-26-2010 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And for those that bag on "Gardner's Trucks": This is for you. ;)

jason65 02-27-2010 12:24 AM

Nice pics Mac. Was that saddle tank door on your truck when you got it?

MacAttack 02-27-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3827878)
Nice pics Mac. Was that saddle tank door on your truck when you got it?

Yes Sir, both sides - with good sized tanks, which - unfortunately - had some severe rust problems. The fine person that ripped my truck off decided to pry the driver's side open with a big screw driver or something and sprung the lock, leaving the door to flop open every time I came to a stop.

He could have just laid on the ground to look under the truck to see what was there - but like the locking gas cap, for the behind-the-seat tank (which he wrenched off and ruined the neck), logic didn't seem to be one of the tools in his mental shed.

The door hassle was fixed with a very small diameter hole drilled through its edge and through the bed and putting a sheet metal screw (upper right-hand corner) into the damn thing.

On a side note - the boy was out all day on jobs and the truck got its first chance to stretch her legs on the 405 freeway for a good run. Kid says she ran like a top and got many a "Thumbs Up."

Does my old heart good to hear that. :chevy:

jason65 02-27-2010 07:09 PM

I get those to. It does make you feel good.:metal:

4dranch 03-01-2010 11:59 PM

very cool Mac, thanks for sharing....and finding your camera :mm::lol:

MacAttack 04-09-2010 06:33 PM

Finally got to dumping the initial Prestone 50/50 coolant load on Saturday. :ito:

Nothing unusual to report, but I did put some Permatex around the outside of the base on the thermostat's swivel housing. It was giving me an irritating weep of coolant after driving for a bit and anytime we'd park on a slant with the nose down, a small trickle of juice would come out.

"O" rings are wonderful things - when they work, but this one (got the aluminum neck assembly from Summit, originally) never seemed quite right. I didn't want to over-torque the thing to the old 2-barrel cast iron manifold, so I never went hardcore with the Allen wrench, and put just a dab of blue silicone on the bolt treads - on the initial installation.

This weekend I put a liberal layer of #2 around the base's lip - without getting near the thermostat. We've driven the poop out of the truck this week, in fairly warm weather, all without a hitch.

Took five gallons of Prestone (forgot how much that new radiator actually took) to refill the coolant system - good thing it was on sale at WallyMart for $8.00 a jug.

Mac.

daverod 04-09-2010 07:31 PM

Thats gotta feel good.;)

jason65 04-11-2010 09:19 AM

Thanks for the update Mac. I'm glad she is treating you right.

jason65 06-11-2010 08:21 AM

Hows the ol girl treating you Mac?

MacAttack 06-11-2010 02:39 PM

:ito: She's treating my boy perfectly - I only get to drive her to the Donut Derelicts every couple of weeks or so, as he uses it on his landscaping job nearly every day. He's driving bus part time for a local school district and using his little side business as fill-in.

Many folks out my way doing the same to help ends meet.

We've had a couple of very minor leaks here and there - but they were quite easily fixed and I think this little '283' rebuild is going to last a lot longer than my old bones.

My time has been taken up with my 65' Chevelle's maintenance, with some rather heavy oil leaks, P/S pump going away, swing-arm bushings squeaking like "Dueling Banjos" and old drum brakes getting ready to die. Motor's got 24,000 on it now (estimate - as odometer puked back in 2000), but still pulls like crazy.

I just hate having to use this car as a daily driver, but times being what they are - I just cruise along at 50 and pray nobody hits me.