The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 50 roadster pickup build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=459839)

Nut Case 10-26-2016 01:33 AM

Re: My 50 roadster pickup build

Oldman

That stinks in spades!!!

But there are easier ways to tenderize venison. :lol:

Looking forward to the repairs, and the efi install.

Keep on keepin on.

NC

oldman3 10-26-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nut Case (Post 7752493)
Oldman

That stinks in spades!!!

But there are easier ways to tenderize venison. :lol:

Looking forward to the repairs, and the efi install.

Keep on keepin on.

NC

Thanks NutCase, the efi is installed and running great, just can't check the millage until repairs are done...Jim

Indian113 10-26-2016 10:30 AM

Jim, I see you even damaged your wheel. Who do you carry you insurance with? Hopefully you will be able to settle with them without any problems. When my wife hit a deer they told her to go ahead and drive it to work, that's when we found out it had jumped a few teeth on timing gear. Her motor locked up and insurance would cover it saying that it was normal mileage problem. Needless to say we've changed companies and ended up with a lower overall cost.

HUSSEY 10-26-2016 07:31 PM

Oldman3, I see front fenders often on CL for sale in the Kansas City area. It's the rear ones that are much harder to come by.

This guy has recently been listing a bunch of parts, might give him a try:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/5766321470.html

I know it's a bit of a drive for you but if you ever see something in KC area I'd be willing to check it out for you.

I've seen the chrome grills in person at LMC and Classic Parts and think the finish quality on them is good though I can't comment on the fit.

oldman3 10-26-2016 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 7752654)
Jim, I see you even damaged your wheel. Who do you carry you insurance with? Hopefully you will be able to settle with them without any problems. When my wife hit a deer they told her to go ahead and drive it to work, that's when we found out it had jumped a few teeth on timing gear. Her motor locked up and insurance would cover it saying that it was normal mileage problem. Needless to say we've changed companies and ended up with a lower overall cost.

Hey Ray, insurance is with ANPAC also call CHROME, they have looked at the truck and I should have something tomorrow. I have given them parts, paint, material, etc., to help in coming up with a pay out...Jim

oldman3 10-26-2016 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUSSEY (Post 7753068)
Oldman3, I see front fenders often on CL for sale in the Kansas City area. It's the rear ones that are much harder to come by.

This guy has recently been listing a bunch of parts, might give him a try:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/5766321470.html

I know it's a bit of a drive for you but if you ever see something in KC area I'd be willing to check it out for you.

I've seen the chrome grills in person at LMC and Classic Parts and think the finish quality on them is good though I can't comment on the fit.

Hussey, thanks for the info, will check it out, also have a lead on fenders within 50 miles of me, going to check it out tomorrow. I've used Classic Parts alot, so will go with them for the grill. Thanks again...Jim

MIKESAD50 10-27-2016 09:46 AM

Oldman, Glad you and son are ok, sucks on the truck hope you get it fixed soon. I've seen alot more damage from deer.

oldman3 10-27-2016 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKESAD50 (Post 7753407)
Oldman, Glad you and son are ok, sucks on the truck hope you get it fixed soon. I've seen alot more damage from deer.

Mike, thanks, son and I are fine. Yes I've seen worse also, still waiting for the adjuster, to call back about the amount for repairs...Jim

lower50's 10-31-2016 08:13 PM

Oh man sorry to hear Jim!! Is it just the fender and grill?

oldman3 10-31-2016 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7757396)
Oh man sorry to hear Jim!! Is it just the fender and grill?

lower50's, no it also got the left inner fender, top radiator panel, lower radiator panel, and the left door. I'm hoping to be able to salvage the inner fender, both panels. The door doesn't look to bad, but it has to be saved. I have a ton of hours in making it work as a roadster (with roll up windows)...Jim

lower50's 11-01-2016 03:18 PM

Dam that sucks, you will get it back good as new. Hey how has your aftermarket cruise control working I'm thinking of adding it to my truck next year.

oldman3 11-01-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7757999)
Dam that sucks, you will get it back good as new. Hey how has your aftermarket cruise control working I'm thinking of adding it to my truck next year.

My cruise control works great, it seems to like the fuel injection better than the carb, it maintained a more constant speed...Jim

Indian113 11-04-2016 03:36 PM

Oh Mighty Deer Slayer! Heard any News on Insurance yet? Be sure and take some pictures of repairs to go along with your Build thread.

oldman3 11-04-2016 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 7760443)
Oh Mighty Deer Slayer! Heard any News on Insurance yet? Be sure and take some pictures of repairs to go along with your Build thread.

Hey Ray, finally got things settled with insurance, should have my check Monday or Tuesday. Will take pics as I go to work on it. Have to fight for space in the shop:lol:...Jim

RockinKees 11-07-2016 03:40 PM

:ack: :censored:

Just read back....
Why do these animals always try to get there first, when you drive there???

But I'm glad you guys are Okay!!
I'm sure the Roadster comes out better then before!

oldman3 11-07-2016 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7762781)
:ack: :censored:

Just read back....
Why do these animals always try to get there first, when you drive there???

But I'm glad you guys are Okay!!
I'm sure the Roadster comes out better then before!

Kees, same thing I was thinking, I guess there is one thing dummer than me
DEER.

Got check today, will start to order parts and tearing it down, in a few days, have work in the house that has to be done...Jim

solidaxel 11-08-2016 11:23 AM

How are they paying you for your labor?

oldman3 11-08-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxel (Post 7763465)
How are they paying you for your labor?

In my case and my area, they paid half of what a body shop gets, and about two thirds for paint time. I thought both should have been higher, but the hours they allowed were fair...Jim

Advanced Design 11-08-2016 11:12 PM

Jim, did you find a fender?

LEEVON 11-08-2016 11:35 PM

Well, at least you don't have to pay for a permit, wake up early, sit in a tree, gut a smelly old deer and then eat the thing and pretend it tastes good. You can just tell everybody you got your deer from the comfort of your driver's seat this year while you were road hunting with a "350 from about 65".

oldman3 11-08-2016 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7763969)
Jim, did you find a fender?

Doug, yes I have an original 49 fender, that needs some TLC but should work. Tomorrow I'm going with 3 other car guys to look at some chevy and ford truck about 100 miles away. May find something a little better...Jim

oldman3 11-08-2016 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 7763985)
Well, at least you don't have to pay for a permit, wake up early, sit in a tree, gut a smelly old deer and then eat the thing and pretend it tastes good. You can just tell everybody you got your deer from the comfort of your driver's seat this year while you were road hunting with a "350 from about 65".

Thanks Lee, I laughed so hard after reading you post. That's the first funny thing since this happened, thanks again...Jim

Indian113 11-09-2016 12:08 PM

Jim, I don't think that is very fair on the way they paid you less than a shop would get. What if you didn't have the talents that you have? They would need to cough up a lot more Money and they Know IT!

oldman3 11-10-2016 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 7764246)
Jim, I don't think that is very fair on the way they paid you less than a shop would get. What if you didn't have the talents that you have? They would need to cough up a lot more Money and they Know IT!

Ray, I agree and I even spoke with them about that. They said it was policy, and that after I make the repairs I would have to send new pics, showing the repairs were made. Repair shops don't do that, not fair, but what can you do...Jim

lower50's 11-10-2016 08:56 AM

At least you are getting some labor. Do you have full coverage insurance?